Historical Marker - First Carrollton Post Office
 

Historical Marker
First Carrollton Post Office
Carrollton & Farmers Branch
TXGenWeb


Home > Historical Markers > First Carrollton Post Office
 


THE FIRST CARROLLTON POST OFFICE

APPLICATION FOR THE FIRST POST OFFICE TO BE CALLED CARROLLTON, TEXAS WAS MADE BY JOHN MILLER MYERS ON MAY 10, 1878.  THE OFFICE WAS LOCATED BETWEEN THE EXISTING POSTAL STATIONS IN FARMERS BRANCH AND TRINITY MILLS, APPROXIMATELY ONE TENTH OF A MILE FROM THIS SITE ON BROADWAY ALONG THE RAILROAD. REMNANTS OF A RAILROAD LOADING DOCK REMAINED NEAR THE SITE UNTIL THE 1930'S.  MR. MYERS EVENTUALLY  MOVED THE POST OFFICE TO WHAT WAS TO BECOME THE CARROLLTON SQUARE IN THE EARLY 1890S.

Location:

  • West side of the Downtown Carrollton Square, just south west of the gazebo, Carrollton, Texas

Notes:

  • Submitted by Edward L. Williams

  • The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Carrollton-Farmers Branch TXGenWeb
Supported by Edward Lynn Williams
Copyright January, 2012