Clara Barton Detached Tent #3 of the Daughters of
Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865.
San Antonio, Texas.
|Welcome to the Clara Barton
Detached Tent #3 of the Daughters of Union Veterans of
the Civil War 1861-1865. The DUVCW was first organized
in May of 1885 and was incorporated in December of 1885.
The objectives of the DUV is to perpetuate the memories
of our Fathers, their loyalty to the Union and their
unselfish sacrifices for the preservation of the same,
and to keep alive the history of those who participated
in that heroic struggle for the maintenance of our free
Eligible for membership are all ladies who are lineal descendants of honorably discharged soldiers, sailors, and marines who served in the Union Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Revenue Cutter Service during the years of April 12, 1861-April 9, 1865, and can provide documented proof of their ancestor's services. Minimum age for membership is eight (8) years.
For information about becoming a member or attending a meeting, please contact Peggy Munson, Senior Vice President.
In the town of Comfort, Kerr County, Texas stands the "Treue der Union" Monument. It was erected to honor the nineteen men killed on August 10, 1862 in the Battle at Nueces. The remains of those men are buried on the East side of the monument. It also honors the nine additional Germans taken prisoner or murdered after the battle and seven men killed at Rio Grande, October 18, 1862.
During the Civil War the Germans of the Hill Country opposed slavery and did not want to sign the "oath of allegiance to the Confederacy". They had fled Germany to be free and they were determined to stay true to the Union. Fritz Tegener lead sixty-five men from Kerr, Kendall and Gillespie Counties out of Comfort and headed South to Mexico, where they hoped to meet up with Union loyalists & make their way to New Orleans to join the Union troops.
On the night of August 10, 1862 they were surprised by the Confederate soldiers on the west bank of Nueces River about 20 miles from Fort Clark. Nineteen settlers were killed and nine wounded. The nine wounded settlers were later caught and executed. The bodies of the nineteen were left unburied and in 1865 after the war had ended, residents from Comfort went and collected the remains and returned them to Comfort for a proper burial. Their remains are now at the site of the Treue der Union ("Loyal to the Union") Monument.
The obelisk monument was erected to honor those men who died trying to reach the Union troops and is only one of six National Cemeteries permitted to fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff in perpetuity.
If you would like to know more about the Battle of Nueces click here. Battle of Nueces
"Treue der Union"
Monument with Flag at Half-Staff
[Courtesy of Bill Nelson]
Please send comments or questions about this website to our Webmaster. Thank you.
This page was
last modified: April 10, 2019