Much information contained herein has never been published. The book is
Permission is granted to reprint any part of it, provided credit is given to the author.
Copyright: 1968 by Wright Patman
(A) Acting Postmaster, (MA) Military Acting, (N) Name changed by marriage,
(**) Denotes a postmaster appointed under authority of Confederate States of America.
Northeastern County. Created and organized in 1874 from Upshur
Named for John Lafayette Camp, Texas soldier-legislator-jurist.
County seat: Pittsburg
Twelve miles southwest of Pittsburg.
|James W. Taylor||Mar 21, 1901|
Office discontinued June 29, 1901: mail ordered sent to Mantha, Upshur County.
Five and one half miles north of Pittsburg. The town was probably named
for Big Cypress Creek
Which forms the boundary lines between Camp and Titus and Camp and Morris Counties.
|M. C. Davis||Dec 2, 1889|
Office discontinued November 11, 1892; mail ordered sent to Pittsburg.
|O. Y. Steavens||Oct. 12, 1903|
Never in operation - order establishing post office rescinded, October 27, 1903.
In northern Camp County: A crossroads community receiving mail from Pittsburg.
In western Camp County on the Louisiana and Arkansas Railroad seven miles
west of Pittsburg.
Named for the Lee family, early settlers in the area.
Office established under the name of Leesburg, Upshur County.
|James G. Credille||Jun 25, 1874|
Office changed to Camp County, June 18, 1877.
The letter "H" was dropped from Leesburgh, making it Leesburg, around 1900.
|W. D. Credille||June 18, 1877||Baxter G. Jenkins||Dec 3, 1914|
|Richard S. Bryarly||Jul 9, 1877||James B. Amos||Apr 3, 1919|
|Samuel S. Morris||Sep. 8, 1879||Irene King (A)||Feb 1, 1940|
|Jonathan T. Musick||Jan. 25, 1881||Irene King||Nov 1, 1940|
|Robert J. Swain||Mar 10, 1884||Mary Jane Townsand||Aug. 16, 1943 (A)|
|Andrew J. Swain||May 23, 1890||Mary Jane Townsand||Nov. 7, 1944|
|William N. Carpenter||Jan 28, 1901||Edith O. Townsand||Feb. 28, 1951 (A)|
|Stith T. Hardaway||Dec 18, 1906||Mrs. Louie K. Mitcham||Mar 31, 1952|
|Claud I. Boules||Dec 10, 1910|
Eight and one-half miles south of Pittsburg. The town is near Lilly
Creek which was probably named
for Noah Lilley who patented a section of land on the creek in 1843.
|James A. Musick||May 5, 1880||John N. Nix||Mar 29, 1882|
|J. D. Traylor||Feb. 23, 1882|
Office discontinued January 15, 1883; mail ordered sent to Pittsburg.
Office reestablished September 20, 1890.
|W. T. Efurd, Jr.||Sep. 20, 1890|
Office discontinued April 20, 1891.
In central Camp County eight miles southwest of Pittsburg.
|Simeon H. Harris||Sep. 7, 1893||Isaac F. Cadenhead||Mar. 2, 1907|
|Lura L. Nix||May 6, 1895||Minerva Cadenhead||Jan. 5, 1910|
|John C. Bridges||March 28, 1896||Minerva Scott (N)||May 23, 1913|
|Thomas H. King||Dec. 22, 1896||Beatrice Smith||Mar. 20, 1915|
|William P. Townsand||Sep. 1, 1903|
In western Camp County on Louisiana and Arkansas Railroad three miles west of
Named for John Newsome, early settler.
|John M. Newsome||Jan. 2, 1902||Corbin Hood||Feb. 5, 1909|
|William R. Patterson||Jan. 29, 1904||Isaac F. Cadenhead||April 27, 1914|
|John M. Newsome||June 7, 1906||Ozella Cadenhead (A)||July 1, 1938|
|Beatrice Newsome||Aug 1, 1907||Ozella Cadenhead||Dec. 28, 1938|
Five and one half miles east-northeast of Lafayette, Upshur County.
|Ovie Y. Stevens||Aug. 31, 1903|
Office discontinues September 14, 1904; mail ordered sent to Lafayette, Upshur County.
Six miles southeast of Pittsburg.
|John H. Sayles||Jan. 2, 1902||Henry Bolton||Aug. 19, 1903|
|Jomes Williams||May 14, 1903|
Office discontinued January 14, 1904; mail ordered sent to Lafayette, Upshur County.
Near southern Camp County line on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railroad.
Originally called Pine tree for the trees located near the post office.
Established in Upshur County the site was included in Camp County bounds when
that county was organized in 1874.
|Mathew H. Nicholson||Oct. 26, 1892||Jesse J. Arms||Mar. 5, 1923|
|William T. Efurd||Mar. 26, 1894||Lonzo M. Pilgreen||Mar. 18, 1925|
|Isaac Turnage||Jan. 11, 1897||Harold Pilgreen (A)||Apr. 29, 1939|
|William T. Efurd||Aug. 4, 1898||Mrs. Nettie Pilgreen||Aug. 15, 1939|
|Jesse J. Arms (A)||Feb. 1, 1923||Mrs.Nettie Kelley(N)||Mar. 18, 1943|
Office discontinued March 15, 1954; mail ordered sent to Pittsburg.
Eleven miles south of Mount Pleasant, Titus County.
Named for its founder, Major W. H. Pitts, it is the principal town in Camp County
and was selected as county seat in 1874.
Office established under the name of Pittsburgh (with an "h" on the end),
Office changed to Camp County, no date shown.
Name of office changed to Pittsburg, April 11, 1903.
|William C. Loving||May 23, 1855||Edwin Fore||March 31, 1898|
|Robert H. Yarbrough||Feb. 9, 1856||Joe R. Hooton||March 27, 1914|
|Wilson L. Collins||Nov. 7, 1859||Ethel Milligan||Feb. 6, 1923|
|William H. Pitts (**)||July 12, 1861||Myrtle Engledow (A)||Feb. 11, 1935|
|Miss L. F. Crawford||April 23, 1866||Charles C. Truitt||June 18, 1935|
|Martha Crawford||March 18, 1872||Guy H. Holman (A)||Nov. 16, 1948|
|William C. Crawford||Nov. 16, 1874||Guy H. Holman||July 8, 1950|
|James K. McDowell||Dec. 13, 1881||Lloyd Richardson||Mar. 7, 1960|
|James A. Derrick||May 5, 1885||Clarence Garrett (A)||Sep. 28, 1962|
|James L. Fore||April 15, 1889||Clarence Garrett||April 12, 1963|
|Dollie F. Thompson||April 11, 1893|
|D. P. Sayles||April 6, 1899|
Never in operation - order establishing post office rescinded January 4, 1900.
Five miles southwest of Leesburg.
|Charles C. Norton||April 4, 1900|
Office discontinued October 31, 1901; mail ordered sent to Mantha, Upshur County.
Active Post offices in 1974.
Leesburg: Zip Code:
75451 Mrs. Louie K. Mitcham
Pittsburg: Zip Code: 75686 Mr. Clarence E. Garrett