Historic Sites of Interest
Abernathy House (406 Quitman Street, Pittsburg) This beautiful Queen Ann Victorian Style home was built in 1896 by D.H. Abernathy and Mary Lou Pitts Abernathy. Mr. Abernathy was a dry goods merchant in downtown - you can see his building located at the corner of Mt. Pleasant and Quitman Streets. Mary Lou Pitts was the niece of Major W. H. Pitts who founded the city in 1854. Center Point Community & Cemetery In 1865 black Freedmen began this community. The Center Point Baptist Church was organized in 1873. The Industrial Union was chartered in 1889 to aid settlers in buying farms and building homes. A cooperative managed a brick kiln, sawmill and cotton gin. Under the leadership of Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Cash, the first principals, Center Point School became an important vocational facility. Students erected most of the structures on the 14-acre campus and there was a cooperative boarding plan. The school was consolidated with Pittsburg in 1950. The Courthouse The Texas Legislature created Camp County from the northern part of Upshur County in 1874, and voters chose Pittsburg as their county seat. The county built its first courthouse in 1881. As Pittsburg grew, the two-story brick edifice became too small for the county's needs, and in 1928 commissioners hired the Paris, Texas architectural firm of Smith and Praeger to design a new house of justice. Contractors Wentzel and Wood received the contract for the construction, which was completed in December 1928. The Classical Revival courts building features a stepped parapet, flat arched windows and Corinthian columns. Today, the courthouse remains a central part of life in Camp County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004 The Depot Museum (200 W. Marshall St., Pittsburg) A 1901 railroad depot served the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad also called the Cotton Belt. The depot was completely renovated by local volunteers in 1991. The museum houses an operating telegraph display and many regional exhibits ranging from agriculture to automobiles. The Farmstead Museum (206 Mt. Pleasant St., Pittsburg) The Farmstead site has the 100 year old Hoffman house built by Charles Adam Hoffman, a barn and corral, a demonstration garden and education pavilion, windmill, privy, smoke house, and a General Store. First Methodist Church (200 Mt. Pleasant St., Pittsburg) The First Methodist Church was first organized in 1857 when Pittsburg was a young community with settlers arriving each year. The first church meetings were held in an old log building, formerly used as a schoolhouse. In 1904-1905 the brick prairie style church was built under the pastorate of Reverend E. L. Settles. The Pitts Cemetery From the downtown sidewalk in Pittsburg you can see the cemetery established by the Major W. H. Pitts for the Pitts family. Witness Park and Prayer Tower This beautiful park in downtown Pittsburg, donated by Bo Pilgrim, contains a statue of Jesus washing Peter's feet and a fountain surround the 75-foot Tower which supports four Paccard bells from France. Inside, four stained glass windows depict the life of Jesus. Relax inside and sign the prayer book.
Copyright © 2015 - Present TXGenWeb