Ft. Croghan

Grounds and Museum

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fort Croghan was the third of the first four Forts established by the United States government in the first quarter of 1849 to protect white settlements from hostile Indians. Ultimately there was a chain of Forts extending from Fort Worth in North Texas to Fort Inge near present Uvalde. This Fort was named for Colonel George Croghan, a professional soldier who was awarded a special gold medal by Congress for his valor in defending Fort Stephenson at Lower Sandusky, Ohio, in the war of 1812. Ft. Croghan was officially established on March 18, 1849, by Company A, Second Dragoons under command of Lt C. H. Tyler.

...The Ft Croghan museum is maintained as a joint effort of the Burnet County Historical Commission and the Burnet County Heritage Society. ...It is dedicated to the preservation of items pertaining to the history of Burnet County, Texas.

-- from the Ft Croghan brochure, revised April 1997

~ See "Soldiers Who Died..."

~ Read an 1853 Inspection Report which gives descriptions of the countryside, buildings and some interesting details about frontier life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTE: for more information, visit the official Ft. Croghan website, <http://www.fortcroghan.org>



703 Buchanan Drive -- Highway 29 West
The main entrance faces Highway 29 and contains the gift shop, exhibits, and reception area for the beginning of tours.
[Photo of marker and inside museum]


10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday, Friday and Saturday,
from April thru September (Labor Day)

Admission: Free, donations gratefully accepted

Group Tours:

Please call in advance to schedule group tours - (512) 756-8281


Over 1,200 items of early history are on display in the museum. On the grounds, one can visit a blacksmith shop, a county iron pavillion, stage stop house, old powder house, Fry Family Cabin, Kincheloe Family Cabin, Vandeveer Family Cabin, a syrup making shop, and see old time farm equipment.

Stage Stop House. The home of Constantine Foster was originally built just East of Hamilton Creek while the Fort was still active. It is traditionally known as the "Stagecoach House" and is believed to have been so used. Inside is a desk made at Mormon Mills in 1854, an old tobacco cutter, 1865 coffee mill, sythes, chairs, tables, iron kitchenware, a set of wagon repair tools, and more.

Old Powder House. Traditionally known as the "old powder house", this building was erected at its present location. During the War Between the States, local people made gun-powder and stored it here for pick up by C.S.A. wagons. See old crocks and wooden buckets, a shingle cutter, beer capper, black powder barrels, mini-ball and musket ball boxes, cotton scales and other items.

Fry Cabin. The "Old Fry House" was built about 1856 by William Perry. Later it was the home of John W. fry and his family of 10 children, and also of Aaron Fry and his family of 11 children, including Roy Fry, first chairman of the Board of Directors of the Lower Colorado River Authority. See a wooden cradle, wash pots, 1880 sewing machine, dutch oven, old furniture items, Fry family pictures, and much more.

The "Kincheloe Cabin" was constructed by H. C. Allen for Lewis E. Kincheloe, who came to Burnet County in 1866 and acquired land near the Oatmeal community where this building was erected. It was moved to this site for preservation in about 1963. View a handmade bedstead (rope springs) made by veteran of San Jacinto, bed clothes, spinning wheel, marriage photo of John Tate Chamberlain and Martha Jane Kincheloe which was in this cabin of 24 Feb 1870.

Vandeveer Cabin. Built before 1855 by Logan Vandeveer for use by his father and family and located East of Hamilton Creek just North of the Hamilton Creek Plaza Shopping Center. Moved to the Ft Croghan site in 1973 for preservation. See an old wheel chair and quilt, split bonnet, irons, Davis sewing machine, furniture and other small items.



Ft Croghan Day, 2nd Saturday, every October. On this day, the local historical groups make every effort to have one or more persons demonstrate some activity in the manner it would have been done in the past century, and as much as possible like it was done in the days when Ft. Croghan was an active installation. For instance, there will be a lady baking bread in an old-fashioned wood burning stove, or another churning to make butter, or a lady crocheting, others knitting, tatting and quilting. There will be people tending to cows, rabbits, or poultry, goats and pigs and one or more may be shearing sheep. One or two men will be demonstrating the blacksmith's work in the blacksmith shop. Others will be "Killin Hawgs", making lye soap, shelling corn, whittling, leatherworking, or feeding sorghum cane to the press and boiling the juice to make molasses.

150th Anniversary. On June 12, 1999 a ceremony was held to commemorate 8 soldiers who died at the Fort. A monument was dedicated to them.

Holiday Special. Experience Christmas traditions at Old Fort Croghan the first 2 Saturday nights in December.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Burnet County TXGenWeb


Burnet Main Page | Photo Album | Military | Lineages | Marriages | Obituaries |

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor to this page.

Last update:  Sunday, 29-Apr-2012 20:59:08 MDT