Built in 1798, it was the first manor house west of the Alleghenies. Built by General James Winchester, who had lived on the land since 1793. He and his brother, George Winchester, had come to the area as traders after the Revolutionary War. George was later killed, but James and his wife, Susan Black lived at Cragfont and had fourteen children. Many original Winchester items can be found in the house. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1787. Contains an interpretive Pioneer Fort and the oldest brick house in Middle Tennessee.
Built in 1784. First rock house in Middle Tennessee. It is located on Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, TN, and is one of Tennessee's most important structures of the early Republic. Has noteworthy architectural design. The once 3,140-acre plantation now consists of 18 acres, the house, the smokehouse, and a cemetery. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1813. Is a handsome, old two-story brick home located about two city blocks from the Gallatin Public Square. Built by John H. Bowen, a local attorney and member of Congress. Bowen died in 1822, and the house was purchased by William Trousdale, who in 1849 became governor of Tennessee. Located near the Sumner County Museum. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1828. It is the largest log stage coach inn in Tennessee. Was erected to serve as stagecoach inn and mineral springs resort by A. R. Wynne, William Cage, and Stephen Roberts on land owned by Wynne's wife, Almira Winchester Wynne. A log cabin attached to the rear of the inn was built by Isaac Bledsoe during the period of 1772 to 1780, when he came to the area as a longhunter. The building is a national historic landmark.
Built in 1857. An American Revolution Bicentennial project, this restored one room schoolhouse serves as a museum of local history, especially for Upper Sumner County.
A treasure of Sumner County artifacts and memorabilia, especially from early Native American period. Has a growing collection on Civil War artifacts. Located near the Trousdale Place.