The early settlers came about 1875 and included six black families: Charles Buntin, Henry Greene, Greene Gilbert, Seten Bell, Joerome Duncan, and Ike Brewer. A traveler came through named George German, and because the houses were far apart and scattered, he said, "You all call this community Scattersville." And that is how this community got its name.
The first school started about 1890 for three communities: Mitchellville, Scattersville, and Corntown. Mitchellville was known as the Jeff Groves School; he donated the land. Corntown was known as the Dick Mitchell School; he donated the land. People built these schools out of logs. The school term was five months and school started in July and closed in December. The term was divided from the three communities to school and were taught by the same teacher. The first teacher was Mary Bracken. About 1900, the county built a school between the three communities called Scattersville Public School. This land was given and deeded by Henry Seten Bell and his wife Sarah Bell, and in 1927, they moved the school and taught two years in the Odd Fellow's Hall. In 1928, the county and citizens built a Rosen Ward School at the present site. The first teacher to teach in the new building was Ella Lee Oldham. Teachers that taught school in Scattersville were: Mary Branham, Lee Gooch, Prof. Sullivan, Tonia Watkin, Helen Hall, Mollie Folley, Hattie Harris, Lili bradley, Edna Mai Scott, Prof. Peter Tyree, Ola Mai Robinson, Queen O. Staten, Prof. Robert D. Smith, Alice Smith, Alleen Francis Brewer, Prof. James H. Smith, Cora Elliott, Prof. Gillden Dye, Prof. Joseph Coakley, Effie Coakley, and Mary Harper (the last teacher).
About 1913-1914, Scattersville had three telephones owned by Nancy Goins, Ike Brewer, and Jake Rankins. Scattersville had two grocery stores run by Ike Brewer, Wilmus Turner, and Jake Rankins. They were an asset to the community.
Scattersville had three lodges: Odd Fellows of America, Household of Ruth, and African Bell Association. Scattersville organized a band in 1916. The members were: Henry Bratton, Orliver Brewer, Leonard Coakley (Clarinets); Luther Bratton, Sr., John Alison Groves, and Cornelious Coakley (trombones); John Duncan, Gilmore Coakley (alto); William (Dick) Brewer (baritone); Lewis Brewer (bass horn); Bill Bledsoe and Alfred Brewer (bass Drum); Jessie Bledsoe, Ventress Brewer, Claton Brewer (Kettle drum) (teacher) the Davis brothers, M. B. Davis and N. C. Davis from Nashville, Tennessee.
In 1919 the first strawberries were raised in Scattersville Community. Three citizens from the city of Portland were: Dr. Will Moore, Dr. Will Peten, and Dr. Ventress on the following farms: Luther Bratton, Sr., Will Moore, Henry Seten Bell's farm, Will Moore, Alfred Brewer's farm, Dr. Peten, Garner Goins farm, Dr. Ventress, John Duncan, Billie Olddus farm. They furnished plants, fertilizer and straw. The farmers furnished land and cultivation, and worked half an acre, Erwin Goins, one acre himself, Tom Bratton, one half acre himself. And that is how strawberries started in the community of Scattersville.
The Community center has been a home for citizens whose homes were destroyed by fire was used for services when the church was remodeled (1974), and as the location for the funeral of May Jane House.
Return to Sumner County Communities Page
Return to Sumner County Main Page