Buffalo School Children
The Buffalo School is located on Phillips Hollow Road. Up until the mid-1950's, children in grades
1-8 were taught here. Teachers at the Buffalo School included Betty Lou Henson, Ruth King, Ruth Law, Mrs. Cleo Brown, Kermit Cornwell, Virgie Bracken Hammock, Mildred Bryant, and a Mr. Jones.
In the old days, parents were responsible for buying books for their children which usually were passed down to younger siblings as they started school.
The school itself was a long frame building that featured many windows which provided the only lighting children and teachers would have. Teachers were responsible for keeping the school house clean and for stoking the wood stove during the winter months.
Row 1: unknown, T.C. Eden, Louise Knight (Templeton), Wilma Bell, Dorthy Suddath
Row 2: Lloyd Loftis, David Gregory, unknown, Meedy Ann Love, Willie Ann Suddath, Frances Henson (Perry), Virginia Curtis
Row 3: Cary Meador Carter, Johnny Lofits, Ruby Jewel Anderson, Grace Eden, Effie Eden (Adcock).
Return to School Photos
Return to Sumner County Main Page