Excerpt from the Cottontown history article found published in The Gallatin News-Examiner.
The black community off Nolan's Lane is known as the Little
Bethel community. The black people of Cottontown have played as great a part in the history of
Cottontown as their
white friends. They were first settlers, along with the white settlers.
Remembered names of old-timers are DOC TURNER, JOHN BELL, GRANNIE BET, ALF LUNNIE, BILL COLLIER, TOM STRATTON, IKE HASSELL and wife, LUVENIA, and STEVE and MARY HALL.
The following information has been furnished by Mrs. J. P. TURNER from the minutes of Bethel Church records.
Around 1880, a combination church and school was built. Some years after this building was blown down by a wind storm. Another was built and used as a school until 1939.
Around 1920, Little Bethel Church was built as it stands today. The Rev. GARDNER built this church and pastored it for 30 years. He set aside the second Sunday in September as Rally Day.
The Rev. TOM JACKSON was an early pastor, around 1880.
Later pastors of Little Bethel have been the Rev. HENRY HASSELL, and the Rev. NORMAN RUTHERFORD.
Ground for Little Bethel Church was bought from LUCIAN COLLIER for $20 with $10 being paid down and the remaining $10 paid in six months.
For more information on Cottontown, read the History of Cottontown on the Sumner Co. TNGenWeb page.
Return to Sumner County Main Page