Rootwalker--Newsflash Detail--Overton County 06-10-1914

Genealogy Pages for Northern Middle TN
line1.jpg (824 bytes)
Details Page

line2.jpg (824 bytes)

backnewsbutton.png (4049 bytes)

The Golden Age
Livingston, Overton Co., Tenn.
Wed. June 10, 1914

***Local News***

Mrs. H. ADKINS is visiting relatives in Iowa.

Will KEISLING and family, of Nettle Carrier, visited relatives here over Sunday.

Byron FERGISON moved his family to Harriman this week, where he is employed in a heading mill.  His brother, Herschel, accompanied them.

Rev. Dow A. ENSOR's wife and children, of Hartsville, and his sister, Mrs. ALLISON, of Cookeville, visited Rev. Jno. O. ENSOR and family last Thursday and Friday.


Mrs. Sue MITCHELL and daughter, Miss Daisy, are here from Cookeville.

Misses Cleo DRAPER, Rose GORE and Annie CARLOCK are spending the week with relatives and friends at Nettle Carrier.

John WINNINGHAM took his little daughter to Nashville Monday for medical treatment.

Miss Dora SMITH left last week for Oklahoma where she will visit relatives for a few weeks and then teach during the winter.

Granville LEDBETTER and family, who are spending the summer at their farm near Oak Grove, were here over Sunday.

George O. LEA returned to M.T.S.N., Murfreesboro yesterday for the summer term.

J. H. LOFTIS and sons, Lattie C. and Alton, are visiting his brother, Harrison LOFTIS, in Jackson county.

Mrs. Delia MULLINS, of Nettle Carrier, visited her sister, Mrs. W. C. DECK, here over Sunday.  She was accompanied by Master Howard ROBBINS, of Byrdstown.

John Q. MCDONALD, who graduated in the Lebanon law school last week, was here Monday en route home at West Fork.  We understand Mr. MCDONALD will hang out his shingle at Byrdstown.

Miss Alta SMITH went to Nashville to-day to accompany her sister, Mrs. E. D. WHITE, home from the hospital.

Eld. Leland COOK, pastor of the Church of Christ, is taking his vacation visiting home folks at Hiram, Ohio.


Mr. and Mrs. A. J. MOFIELD and Mrs. Edna ASHENHURST are visiting relatives and friends at Rome and Carthage.

D. D. THOMAS and family returned to Texas to-day after a stay of a few weeks with relatives in this county.  Mr. THOMAS came here for his health, but made no improvement.  His uncle, W. A. OWENSBY, went as far as St. Louis with them.

Mrs. Eula DAVIS and children left yesterday for an extended visit with relatives in Colorado.

Miss Ruth MCGEE is on an extended visit with relatives at Eagle Creek.

Mrs. B. J. ROCHELL and two children accompanied her husband to his appointment at Hilham Sunday.

W. F. LOLLAR, who is working at Carthage, spent Sunday with his family here.

Mrs. TERRY, of Cookeville, is visiting her daughter, Mrs. R. L. MITCHELL.

Bob POSTON and wife visited his parents at Oak Hill over Sunday.


Mr. and Mrs. RITCHIE, who have been here for some time with their daughter, Mrs. A. B. QUALLS, left to-day for their home in Ohio.  They will make a tour of the South en route.

Miss Lizzie Lea and Maude, Mable and Sidney BILBREY are visiting relatives at Henard.



A few months ago a young foreigner was found wandering about one of the public parks in New York City. He was but fourteen or fifteen years of age, had no relatives in the United States, and said that he had supported himself since reaching this country by selling newspapers. His command of the English language was good for a foreigner so recently arrived. He was taken into custody.
The immigration authorities gave the youth a preliminary hearing preparatory to deporting him as "likely to become a public charge." He told them that he had only seven cents in the world. The following morning after a night spent in the crowded detention rooms, the young man was called before the board of special inquiry. This time he proudly waved a handful of small bills. He was the richer by twelve of thirteen dollars than he had been the day before.
The boy's story of his riches ran as follows: "In the detention room I found many men of many languages. Some of these languages I could speak and read. From a German missionary I got a few copies of a New York paper printed in German. I sold all of them except one. From that copy I read the news, translating as I read into Lithuanian. From the Lithuanians I got a few kopecs. Then I put the news into Polish, and got nearly a krone from those listeners. With this money I bought a watch that wouldn't run, and a knife. I then exchanged the watch for another silver watch and a pair of boots. For the boots and writing two letters for him, an Austrian Pole who could not write gave me another watch. These two watches I exchanged for a watch with a good Swiss movement. This last watch I sold to a guard for the money I hold in my hand.
After hearing this remarkable story, the board recommended that the boy be permitted to remain in the country, in the care of one of the immigrant societies. One of the members added: "There's no danger of that young fellow becoming a public charge. If he stays in New York very long, he'll own half the city."


This page was created on 08/14/2001
and last updated on 08/14/2001.

2001 Vanessa Slea