Curlees Church History
The following record was originally furnished by Claud
GAITHER, Readyville, Tennessee, Route # 2.
Originally copied by Mrs. Gladys Stacey PITTARD, Woodbury, Tennessee -
January 27, 1938.
The land for the Curlees Church and Cemetery, in
the 3rd District of Cannon County, was given by Calvin CURLEE, supposedly
before the Civil War. He preached the first sermon there under a
large oak tree, in which he gave the "Faith and Order" of the
congregation. The number of members was lost during the Civil
War. The members disbanded worship during the war, and started again
when it was over.
It seems that after the war the members
reorganized, and began meeting in the new building that was built in the
early eighties. In the year 1875, the record shows the decree of
"Faith and Order" was reissued. They decreed to be a
congregation whose purpose was to keep the ordinances of the master
wit a watch care for each others spiritual welfare, and to see that the
discipline of the church, as recorded in the New Testament, was kept,
having no law for the said congregation except the Law of God, as found in
the last will and Testament of our Lord and Savior. This
congregation meets at the Curlees Meeting house.
The record shows that some of the pioneer
preachers were SEWELL, supposedly Jesse, ECBAUM, F. B. SCHRGLEY, J. A.
DUNN, LOGAN, JOHNSON and Dr. J. P. CURLEE. Later preachers were J.
H. KNOX, Huston MCBROOM, J. D. JONES, R. W. JERNIGAN, Gardner S. HALL, W.
C. QUILLEN and others.
The congregation has continued to meet in the
building that was erected in the early eighties. It has been the aim
and desire of the members to keep the decree that was issued in the
reorganization made in 1875, and have endeavored to do so. The work
and action of the congregation has been determined and governed by the
elders, as the New Testament commanded.
The congregation continues to meet in this same
manner, on each Lord's Day. The present Elders are C. A. GAITHER,
Steve KNOX and Comer HOLLIS.