John M. Shaw, a prominent citizen and extensive farmer and stock raiser of Haywood County, is a native of the county, born September 22, 1831, and is the son of Daniel and Sallie (McNeil) Shaw, both of whom were natives of Cumberland County, N. C. In 1824 they immigrated to Haywood County, and settled twelve miles east of Brownsville. Mr. Shaw, Sr., was a successful farmer, a true Democrat and a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and died in 1850. John M. Shaw was well educated, and attended college at Summerville, N. C. When he returned to Haywood County he commenced farming, now owning 3, 000 acres of good land, and a handsome residence eight miles east of Brownsville; he has been quite an extensive stock raiser. Mr. Shaw has been married twice, first, October 18, 1854, to Miss Lorenia Coggeshall, a native of Haywood County; she was born in 1837 and died in August, 1873. Nine children were born to this marriage. August 18, 1878, he married Miss Sallie M. Anthony, also a native of Haywood County, born in 1&54, and died September 14, 1882. Two children were the result of this marriage. In 1862 Mr. Shaw entered the Confederate service, in the Seventh Tennessee Cavalry under Col. William Jackson. The regiment joined Gen. Forrest, and after operating in West Tennessee awhile, he went to Mississippi, but on account of ill health was forced to quit the service, and received his discharge in November, 1862. Mr. Shaw is an ardent Democrat, and an influential member of the Presbyterian Church.
J. H. Smith, engaged in farming and milling at Tibbs, Tenn., was born in Perry County, Tenn., in 1830, and was one of four children born to William and Nancy (Bradberry) Smith. William Smith was born in Stewart County in 1805, and moved to Haywood County in 1855, locating and farming in the Eighth District near his present residence. His wife was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1810, and died in 1872. J. H. Smith was partly educated at Eureka Institute, in Mississippi. In 1860 he married Miss M. J. King, daughter of Elias and Evaline T. (Adams) King. She was born in Rutherford County, in 1842. They have seven children - C. G., J. H., M. C., J. M., W. K., J. H. G. and M. A. Mr. Smith has always lived in Haywood County. In 1862 he enlisted in Company L, Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, under R. W. Haywood; he was wounded severely and returned home in September, 1863. In 1880 he engaged in the milling business at Tibbs. He has always been an industrious man, and a man of enterprising ideas. He is very popular in his neighborhood; he taught school for several years when a young man. In politics he is a Democrat, and with his wife belongs to the Missionary Baptist Church.
Albert L. Standley, a farmer, resident and native of Haywood County, was born March 14, 1833, and is the son of Jonathan and Sarah (Jennings) Standley. His father was a native of Davidson County, born in 1803, and married in 1826-27 to our subject's mother. He moved from North Carolina to Haywood County about 1827; was a man of remarkable energy, and was quite successful in farming; he died in 1860. he mother was a native of Wilson County, Tenn., born in 1807, and died in July, 1859. Our subject is the third of twelve children, and after receiving a good education commenced farming, which he has since continued. Mr. Standley has been married twice, December 20, 1859, to Miss Martha P. Wells, a native of Haywood County. Five sons and four daughters were born to this marriage. April 11, 1883, he married Mary P. (Gordon) Johnson, a native of Haywood County. In the fall of 1861, Mr. Standley entered the Confederate service, first joining the forces of Van Dorn, was then transferred to Gen. Kirby Smith, then to McCown's division and remained with the Western division until the close of the war; he was letter-bearer during his entire service. Mr. Standley is an active Democrat and an influential and liberal member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Joseph Sternberger, dealer in groceries and fresh meats at Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Germany, February 2, 1851, son of Solomon and Henrietta Sternberger, also natives of Germany. Joseph came to the United States with his parents in 1861 and located in Philadelphia, Penn., with them. He was educated there and devoted his time to mercantile pursuits. In 1871 he came West and located at Dayton, Ohio, and engaged in the mercantile business and remained there until 1875 when he came to Brownsville, Tenn., and was engaged in the stock business until 1882. In 1883 he engaged in his present business. He started in life a poor boy with only a common-school education, but by his industry and good management has accumulated considerable property. In 1884 he married Jennie Davis, daughter of Joseph and Salena Davis of Haywood County. To Mr. and Mrs. Sternberger was born one son, Sol. Our subject and his wife are members of the Hebrew Church and he is a Republican in politics and belongs to the K. of P.
Alanson R. Stokely, a citizen and progressive farmer of Haywood County, was born in Pasquotank County, N. C., November 5, 1821, and was the son of Joseph and Winifred (Richardson) Stokely, both natives of North Carolina. The father was born in 1797. In the spring of 1837 he moved to Haywood County, and settled four miles east of Brownsville; he was a most successful farmer and held the office of magistrate for several years, and died July, 1870. The mother was born in 1796 and died November 2l, 1821. Our subject after receiving a good education gave his attention to farming. lie has been twice married, first, December 20, 1855, to Miss Mary Reid of North Carolina; two sons and five daughters were born to this marriage; one son and a daughter have died. In May, 1875, he was again married, and to Miss Patience Rogers, also a native of North Carolina. In his political views Mr. Stokely is a Democrat, and manifests a warm interest in the success of his party; he is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
William H. Sumners, M. D. a widely known physician and resident of Haywood County, was born April 5, 1849, in Madison County, Tenn., and is the son of Archibald and Missouri (Stevens) Sumners. The father was a native of North Carolina, born January 10, 1801, and died January 14, 1882; he came with his parents when very young to Lincoln County, Tenn., and lived there until he was grown, then moved to Madison and was successful as a farmer. The mother was born in Bedford County, Tenn., January 8, 1810, and died in August, 1874, a devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and a woman of clear intellect, exerting a good influence upon all in her community. Our subject is the sixth of eight children. After completing his education at the Baptist Literary College, at Murfreesboro, Tenn., he directed his attention to the study of medicine, first taking a course of lectures at Louisville in 1870, then two courses at Nashville, where he graduated in 1872, then located at his home at Medon, Madison County, where he had a large and lucrative practice for eight years. In 1880 he moved to this county locating at a village called Nut Bush, eleven and one-half miles northwest of Brownsville. October 16, 1872, he married Mattie Dunaway, born in Madison County, March 27, 1852, and they had four sons and two daughters, one of each dead. Dr. and Mrs. Sumners are both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church; he is a Democrat and a man of ability and influence.
Prof. W. A. Tanner, a resident of Dancyville, was born August 7, 1827, in Virginia. His father, John 0. Tanner, was born in same State in 1793, he was a successful farmer and died August 20, 1875, in Texas. His mother, Ann (Crawder) Tanner, was also born in Virginia in 1796, and died in Haywood County, in 1836. Prof. Tanner is of Scotch descent; he remained on the farm with his father until twenty-four; he was educated at Brownsville, Tenn., and taught near Brownsville and at Whiteville and Dancyville. September 17, 1851, he married Virginia Crawder, the daughter of William B. and Eliza Crawder, who were natives of Virginia. Prof. Tanner has five children: Beverly O., Jessie B. (the wife of S. J. Emby) Thomas Calvin, Jennie B. and Puss Douglas. He is an industrious man and a strictly honest one; he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South ever since 1849, and Mrs. Tanner is also a member. He was a lay delegate to the general conference in 1882, and has been steward in the church for many years; is also a Mason, and in politics he is a Democrat. Prof. Tanner is a true friend and a kind neighbor, and justly deserves the reputation he has acquired.
Emil Tamm, dealer in groceries and general merchandise at Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 12, 1846, and is the son of Nathan J. and Jette (Americaner) Tamm, both natives of Bavaria. Our subject was educated at the academical school at Baireuth in Bavaria, and received a very thorough education, and also prepared himself for the Jewish ministry. In 1867 Mr. Tamm immigrated to America, and located at Chicago, directing his attention to commercial pursuits, and remained there two years. In 1869 he moved to Brownsville, and engaged in his present business, making it a success. He is one of the most reliable and substantial business men of the place. February 8, 1874, he married Hannah Anker, daughter of Solomon and Jenetta Anker, who were natives of Germany. To this union five sons and one daughter were born Theresa, Samuel T., Nathan B., Joel, Sidney and Oscar. Mr. Tamm is now the officiating rabbi of the congregation, Adas Israel, of Brownsville, Tenn., and is one of the most prominent Israelites in West Tennessee, and is a member of the Democratic executive committee of Haywood County, and secretary of the endowment rank of Section No. 91, K. of P.
Edmond Taylor, stock dealer and farmer of the Second District, was born in July, 1846, and is the son of Howell and Susan A. (Hayes) Taylor. The father was born May 2, 1817. in Virginia, and at an early date moved to Haywood County with his father and grandfather, Edmond and Howell Taylor, but in a short time moved to Fayette County, locating at Taylor's Chapel, where he remained until he died. Our subject's grand father was born in 1785, and died in 1871. Edmond Taylor was raised on a farm, and attended the schools in the county until he was nineteen years old, then entered the college at Huntsville, Ala., and continued there and at the university in Virginia until 1868. In 1878 he married Miss Rawlins, daughter of Dr. Jno. W. Rawlins. After his marriage he remained at the old homestead for a while, then moved to Haywood County, and bought a farm near Stanton Depot. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor have had three children: Mary W., Howell Hayes and Samuel Rawlins (who died in infancy). Politically Mr. Taylor is a Democrat. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and of the Masonic lodge, No. 165, at Dancyville. He is regarded as a prominent citizen of his county.
Maj. Lemuel A. Thomas, dealer in dry goods and groceries, Brownsville, was born in Hardeman County, Tenn., May 9, 1838, and is the son of Rev. James and Grizella (Alston) Thomas. They were both natives of North Carolina, and moved to Lauderdale County, Tenn., when Lemuel was only a year old. Our subject was raised and educated on the farm. In 1859 he moved to Dancyville, Haywood County, and commenced merchandising, but when the war began he enlisted in the Ninth Tennessee Infantry, Company A, as a private; was promoted to first lieutenant, then to captain. He afterward formed a regiment, the Fourteenth Tennessee Cavalry, and was mayor of it, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga and others. After the war Mr. Thomas again opened a store at Dancyville, and remained there until 1967, then went to Stanton, and in 1872 came to Brownsville, and opened a large store. He has been successful in business, but lost a great deal by fire in 1872. November 28, 1867, he married Julia A. Moody, of Haywood county. Five daughters and four sons were the result of this marriage: Thomas M., Mary, Bertie J., Lillie, June H., Dillie K., William J., Leonora and Lemuel A., Jr. Mr. Thomas is also engaged in farming on an extensive scale, owning 700 acres of excellent land, well improved. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a member of the F. & A. M., K. of H. and K. of P. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas and all of the family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. That he has successfully conducted a store and so large a farm demonstrates his business capacity.
Reddich Trottman, a substantial farmer of Haywood County, was born October 6, 1804, in Gates County, N. C., and is the son of Reddick and Phereeba (Hill) Trottman, both natives of North Carolina. The great-grandfather of our subject was a native of Scot land, and his great-grandmother of England. His father was born in 1772 and died in 1818. His mother was born in 1777 and died about 1840. In 1836 Mr. Trottman went to Georgia, and after remaining in that State a year returned to Haywood County and settled on the place where he now lives. After receiving a good education our subject commenced farming. He now owns 300 acres of the best land in Haywood County. In his political views he is an Independent though inclined to be in sympathy with the Democrats. Fifty-three years ago he joined the Primitive Baptists. At the division of this church he went with the Missionary Baptists, but on account of some disturbance in the congregation so which he belonged he withdrew from the church, but has always been a consistent Christian. March 13, 1827, he married Miss Clarissa Eason, born May 17, 1809, in Gates County, N. C., and died September 7, 1884. Four sons and one daughter were born to this marriage; two sons and one daughter are dead. The names and dates of birth are as follows: Ann, born June 11, 1831; Elisha, born January 13, 1833; Sheppard, born September 18, 1835; Clinton, born July 81, 1838; Ezekiel, born January 20, 1841. Ann died March 11, 1857; Ezekiel died February 2, 1860, and Elisha, October 5, 1871. Ann married W. T. Baker, November 2, 1852; Elisha married Emma S. Epps, August 21, 1861, and Clinton married Martha (Newbern) Allen in 1866.
John E. Tyus, a prosperous farmer and citizen of Haywood County, was born in the county May 2, 1844, and is the son of Ben. S. and Sarah A. (Davis) Tyus. The father was a native of Virginia and born February 8, 1849. In early life he came to Haywood County and taught school for a number of years, then sold goods at Brownsville until 1835, when he settled on a farm six miles west of Brownsville, where he died August 26,1852. The mother was a native of South Carolina, born May 6, 1826. While still an infant, her parents moved to Haywood County. She died July 10, 1853. John E. Tyus was chiefly educated at the military university at Frankfort, Ky. Contrary to his wishes he left school in 1861 and entered the Confederate service enlisting in Company D, Thirty-first Tennessee Infantry, and was placed in B. F. Cheatham's division, where he remained until the close of the war, participating in the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and in the retreat from Dalton to Atlanta and at Franklin and Nashville and returned home in 1865 and settled on a farm in Haywood County. In 1869 he moved to Brownsville and for four years was in the livery stable business, but in 1873 he returned to his farm. November 29, 1865, he married Miss Fannie M. Jarratt, a native of Haywood County, born October 6, 1844. Two daughters and three sons have been born to this marriage, but two of the sons are dead. Mr. and Mrs. Tyus belong to the Methodist Church and he is a Democrat.
Benjamin S. Tyus, a substantial citizen and farmer of Haywood County, was born in the county, June 12, 1849, and is the son of B. S. and Sarah A. (Davis) Tyus. The father was born in Virginia, February 8, 1800, and when still young came to Haywood County, and taught school for several years, and then sold goods in Brownsville until 1835, when he settled on a farm six miles east of Brownsville, where he farmed very successfully, and died August 26, 1852. The mother was a native of South Carolina, born May 6, 1826; her parents moved to Haywood County when she was still an infant, and she, died July 10, 1853. Our subject, upon finishing his education, directed his attention to farming, which he still continues. February 21, 1872, he was united in marriage to Miss Virginia P. Jarratt, born in Haywood County, May 8, 1854, a woman beautiful in face, and bright and entertaining in her qualities of mind and heart. Six children have blessed this union - Hattie A., born July 24, 1873; Dora B., born November 29, 1874; Edward H., born May 25, 1876; Wren J., May 9, 1879; Ben. B., March 9, 1883; and William T., October 18, 1884. In his political views Mr. Tyus has been a sound Democrat, and for fourteen years has been a worthy and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and is known as a generous and upright man.
Dr. George G. Ware, a physician and surgeon of Stanton, is the son of Geo. G. and Jane E. (Middleton) Ware; he was born in 1835, near Stanton, and is one of eleven children, only two living. His father was born in Illinois, in 1794, where he was raised and educated, and married, February 6, 1825, and in 1835 moved to Haywood County, where he engaged in farming near Stanton, and remained until his death, April 23, 1862. Mrs. Ware was a granddaughter of Arthur Middleton, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. She was born in South Carolina in 1805, and died in 1875, a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church. Dr. George Ware was educated at the Jackson Male College at Athens, Ga. He commenced reading medicine when only nineteen, under Dr. Wm. Hewitt, of Stanton; in 1853 he entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and graduated in 1856, and since then has practiced at Stanton, carrying a large practice, and being one of the most successful physicians in the county. Dr. Ware was for a short time surgeon in the Fifth Georgia Regiment (Confederate Army), but was compelled to resign on account of ill health. In September, 1863, he married Miss Lucy A., daughter of William and Elizabeth Waldron, of Edgefield District, S. C., and of ten children born to them, six are living: Carrie M., William W., John H., Robert T., Jennie D., Mary C. Mrs.Ware was born in South Carolina, October, 1845, and died May 6, 1886, a member of the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Ware is pleasantly located in the western part, of the town, and besides his town residence owns over 1,200 acres of land. In politics he is now a Democrat, but formerly a Whig. He is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and a Mason, and belongs to the K. of H. and K. of P.
Jonathan L. Weaver, a native and resident of Haywood County, engaged in farming, was born November 12, 1832, and is the son of Jonathan W. and Frances (Link) Weaver. The father was a native of South Carolina and was born July 20, 1796; the mother was a native of Virginia, born April 9, 1809. They were married June 16, 1825. The father, being fond of adventure, spent the first three years of his majority traveling in the wilds, of the West. About 1825 he settled on a farm in Haywood County, and he died in Arkansas, October 5, 1855, while superintending a contract of the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad. Our subject is the fourth of six children. After receiving his education he commenced farming, and has been so successful that he now owns 500 acres of fine land in the county. September 16, 1852, he married Elizabeth J. Parker, a native of Haywood County, and a women of fine intelligence and deep piety; they had ten children - four sons and six daughters; they have lost two sons and a daughter. This is a very religious family; the parents and all the children are members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Weaver is a man of broad views, and is alike honored for his integrity and appreciated for his kindness. He held the office of magistrate for eight years, then declined re-election. Politically Mr. Weaver is an Independent, though in sympathy with the Democratic party.
James Whitehead, a very prominent citizen and farmer of Haywood County, was born in North Carolina, in Person County, December 8, 1811, and is the son of Ebenezer and Victoria (Ranking) Whitehead, natives of North Carolina. James was the youngest of nine children. His parents moved to Smith County, Tenn., about 1816, and two years later moved to Dickson County. When twenty-one, our subject moved to Haywood County, and settled four miles east of Brownsville, and his parents came to the county in 1840, and made their home with him until their death; the mother died in 1844, and the father in 1845; both were buried at Salem graveyard. James Whitehead was well educated, and always gave his attention to farming. He is a strong Democrat and for sixteen years was magistrate in his district and is a man of unquestionable morals. October, 1888, he married Mary J. Gordon, a native of Humphreys County. Mrs. Whitehead's parents moved to Haywood County when she was young. She was born April 22, 1817, and died March 28, 1885, a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Whitehead is a Baptist. By their marriage they had ten children - three sons and seven daughters - three daughters and one son married: Mary E. was married in 1862, to Mr. Valentine B. Sevier, a native of Haywood County; Tennie C., in June, 1871, to the hon. David A. Nunn, a native of Haywood County; Lucy J., March 30, 1875, to Mr. W. J. Wallace, a native of Williamson County - they moved to Texas, where they still live. William J. has married twice, first, October 11, 1871, Alice B. Medlin, who died February 18, 1875. November, 1876, he married Miss Ella Richard, of Haywood County.
James P. Whitelaw, citizen, farmer and native of Haywood County, was born November 30, 1849, and is the son (of James and Mary (Owens) Whitelaw, who were both natives of Virginia. About forty years ago our subject's grandparents came to Haywood County, and settled on what is known as the Grassy Spring Place where they made a large purchase of land. Our subject's father engaged in the mercantile business at Brownsville, the firm being Winfield & Whitelaw; he sold goods in Brownsville up to 1863, then went back to his farm, but in 1867 he again moved to Brownsville and kept a boarding house at the Baptist Female College, at the same time being engaged in the stave trade on the Mississippi and Forked Deer Rivers. He died in August, 1871. James P. Whitelaw was educated in the county, and when only fifteen years of age he entered the Confederate Army and remained until the war was over; his youth did not prevent his making a good soldier; he enlisted in the Sixteenth Tennessee Regiment. He is in politics a sound Democrat, and is a member of the Christian Church, and has given his time to farming. February 16, 1869, he married Miss Bettie Whitelaw, a native of Haywood County, born November 8, 1850. Of seven children born to this marriage five are living: Eutrachan S., born December 12,1869; Mary L, July 22, 1872; Thomas O., January 22, 1875; Julia, March 29, 1876; Anna, March 1, 1878; James, February 1, 1881 and Bernard, July 18, 1883. Thomas 0. died March, 1875, aged two months, and Julia died October 17, 1876. Mr. Whitelaw is an energetic, useful citizen.
Rev. John Williams, president of the Wesleyan Female College, at Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Elizabeth City, N. C., May 10, 1831, and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Carmott) Williams, who were natives of North Carolina. Rev. John Williams is a graduate of the Randolph Macon College, formerly located in Mecklenburg County, Va. In 1852 he commenced teaching, but devoted part of his time to reading law. In 1854 be was admitted to the bar in Elizabeth City, N. C., but only practiced a short time, then resumed teaching, and in 1857 he accepted a position as teacher in the Wesleyan Female College, at Murfreesboro, N. C., remaining there until the school was suspended on account of the war, in 1862, but taught a private school until 1865, when the Wesleyan College was reopened and he taught there until 1867, when he came to Brownsville and organized his present school, which was chartered under its present name. December 21, 1859, Mr. Williams married Katharine A. Pugh, daughter of Frank and Mary (Roscoe) Pugh, of Bertie County, N. 0. They had six daughters and four sons: William P., Elizabeth C., Elizabeth C., Jr., Mary B., Kate P., John C., Elizabeth F., Octavia B., Frank R. and Pugh. Four are dead: Elizabeth C., Elizabeth C., Jr., Frank B. and Pugh. Since 1864 Mr. Williams has devoted a good deal of his time to preaching, being a member of the Methodist conference. Mr. Williams is widely known as a thorough educator, and has done a great deal for the cause of education and religion. He is a cultured gentleman, a fine teacher and a true Christian. He is of French and English descent, and in polities a Democrat.
Dr. Paca Wilson, a retired physician of Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Harford County, Md., May 25, 1803, and is the son of William and Sarah Wilson, who were natives of Maryland. They moved to Rutherford County, near Murfreesboro, where our subject was raised and educated. In 1825 he commenced studying medicine under Dr. Samuel Watkins, of northern Alabama, and in 1826 entered the medical college of Baltimore, graduating there in 1829. Dr. Wilson then returned to Tennessee and commenced practicing at Memphis, but in a short time moved to Brownsville, Tenn., where he had an extensive practice. In 1833 he married Virginia Thorpe Estes, of Haywood County, and they were blessed with seven children: William P., Joel B., Paca, Samuel H., Victoria V. and two infants. When the war commenced he retired from active business. He was, perhaps, the largest slave owner in Haywood County, consequently lost heavily by the war. He is now worth from $20,000 to $50,000, which he has made himself; has always been a man of extraordinary energy. Dr. Wilson is the oldest physician in Haywood County, and still takes an active interest in all that pertains to its welfare, and is regarded as a valuable citizen. In politics he was formerly a Whig, but is now a Democrat.
Return to Haywood Goodspeed Index