Joseph B. Phillips received a common school education when young, and was business manager for the "Rough and Ready Iron Works Company" in Stewart County until the war commenced. He went into the Confederate service, and afterward joined the Second Kentucky Cavalry and served until 1863, when his health failed him, and he was compelled to return home; after he regained his health he engaged in the mercantile business at Johnsonville, Tenn., and remained there until 1868, when he sold out and moved to Brownsville, engaging in the grocery and provision business until 1876, when he embarked in the dry goods business. He was united in marriage December 12, 1867, to Lou Waggoner, daughter of Wilkins W. and Susan Waggoner, of Middle Tennessee. They have had five children-four daughters and one son: Clara A., Lula, Lillian, Joseph B., Jr., and Edna. Lula died in 1873. Mr. Phillips and family are active and influential members of the Methodist Church; he is of English descent, and in politics a stanch Democrat. For many years Mr. Phillips has dealt largely in cotton, handling annually from 1,000 to 5,000 bales, for which he has always paid the highest market price. He is carrying from $40,000 to $50,000 stock of goods, and his annual business amounts to from $80,000 to $100,000. Mr.Phillips occupies three very large two story store-houses, which are packed from bottom to top with goods of a first-class quality, and is beyond doubt the most extensive dry goods dealer in West Tennessee, outside of Memphis. He is an exceedingly enterprising business man, and always offers great inducements in the way of prices, and every one wishing to purchase dry goods, boots, shoes, hats, caps and millinery goods should first visit J. B. Phillips' mammoth store at Brownsville, where polite and attentive salesmen will always be found. He started in life a poor boy, and the large business described above is the result of his own industry and fine business capacity, and he is justly regarded as one of the progressive substantial business men of Brownsville.
Dr. James S. Rawlins, a merchant and physician of Dancyville, was born at Dancy- , December 25, 1843. His father was Dr. John W. Rawlins, and was a native of Alabama, but practiced medicine in Haywood County for about twenty years, having an extensive and profitable practice, and being in line circumstances when he died. The mother's maiden name Hester A. Payne. She was born in Smith County, Tenn., and died in Haywood County. Our subject was of English descent, and remained on the farm until the war, and, although only sixteen years old, enlisted in the Confederate Army in the Ninth Tennessee Infantry, but was discharged at Tupelo, Miss., on account of ill health; in a short time, however, he joined Forrest's cavalry, and remained in the service until the close of the war. He then commenced the study of medicine under his father, and then entered the medical university of Pennsylvania in the fall of 1865, graduating in March, 1867, and since then has been a most successful practitioner. Since 1873 he has also been engaged in the drug and general merchandise business. His wife was Miss Mattie McCool, daughter of Martin and Mattie McCool. They have six children: Hester A., James B., Frank Guerney, Jno. P., William and Katie. Dr. and Mrs. Rawlins are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He is a stanch Democrat, and a man of influence and fine social standing. Dr. Rawlins is one of the pioneer stock-raisers of the county, and raises fine horses and mules. He is an energetic man, a kind friend and an enterprising citizen.
Isaac H. Read, a citizen and farmer of Haywood County, was born in Mechlenburg County, Va., August 14, 1888, and is the son of Dr. Charles L. and Elizabeth M. (Daniel) Read, both natives of Virginia. The father was born February 21, 1794. He was twice married; first, October 22, 1816, to Miss Jane Boyd, who died July 20, 1885, and August 10, 1886, he was married to Elizabeth M. Daniel. Dr. Read was a finely educated man. After completing his literary education, and while still young, he entered the medical college at Philadelphia, where he received his diploma. After graduating he returned to Virginia and commenced the practice of medicine, and for twenty years was regarded as the leading physician of his county. In 1838 he came to Haywood County and spent the rest of his life farming, dying December 20, 1869. The mother was born September 3, 1803, and died March 12, 1877. They were both earnest and prominent members of the Presbyterian Church. Isaac H. Read was the first of five children. He obtained a good education, and then commenced farming. December 1, 1863, he married Miss Mary L. Green, a native of Haywood County, born February 15, 1844. She died October 2, 1881, and he then married her sister, Martha J. Green. Four sons and four daughters, were born to his first marriage; one son is dead. Mr. Read is a true Democrat, and for twenty-five or thirty years has been a member of the Presbyterian Church, and for several years has been an elder in the church. He is regarded by all as a man of the strictest integrity.
John B. Rice, farmer and citizen of Haywood County, is a native of White County, Tenn., and was born within one mile of Sparta, August 19, 1826, and is the son of Col. Theodrick and Mary (Harbert) Rice, both natives of Virginia. The father engaged in a number of business enterprises. At one time he owned a foundry in East Tennessee; at another he was a prominent dry-goods merchant at Sparta, and later he was running at the same time two or three grist and saw-mills, meeting with success in all his efforts. He commanded a regiment in the war of 1812, and was with Jackson at the battle of New Orleans. Mr. Rice, Sr., was a devoted and influential member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and contributed liberally to its support; he was the father of three sons and four daughters; one daughter died. Our subject was the third son; he received a good education, and has always given his attention to farming. He married two sisters, Isabella and Sarah Shaw; both are dead. By his first wife he had seven children - six sons and a daughter; the latter and one son died. Mr. Rice is a Democrat, and for fifteen years a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and is now a deacon in the church. In 1862 he entered the Confederate service in Company B, Sixteenth Tennessee Cavalry, and was first lieutenant of this company. They were placed in Gen. Forrest's command and remained there until the war closed.
D. N. Rives, a farmer and citizen of the Third District, and also a druggist, the son of Christopher and Mary Ann (Shelton) Rives, was born in Fayette County, Tenn., in 1842; is one of seven children, six living. The father was of German descent, born in Dinwiddie County, Va., in 1814; was raised and educated in his native county and moved to Fayette County when a young man, marrying about 1836. In early life he was a merchant, then a farmer; was magistrate in his district for some time, and died in 1866. Mrs. Rives was born in Smith County, Tenn., in 1818, and died in 1879. D. N. Rives was educated in Fayette County. In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Ninth Tennessee Infantry (Confederate Army), and was soon promoted to sergeant. He was at Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro and Chickamauga; at the latter place he was captured and taken to Rock Island, Ill., and was held a prisoner until the close of the war; in the last battle he was in he lost his left arm; after he was exchanged he continued farming until 1870, when he was appointed deputy sheriff for several years; he was also a constable for two terms. In 1876 he was elected sheriff of Fayette County and held the office two years, and in 1878 moved to his present farm of 356 acres of good land, five miles southwest of Stanton. In 1884 he formed a partnership with his brother, W. C. Rives, in the drug business at Stanton, and they have the best business house in the town. November, 1877, he married Mrs. Alice Ligon, daughter of James and Alice C. White of Haywood County; they have had three children, two living: Jimnat and Alice. Mrs. Rives was born in Fayette County in 1847, and with her husband belongs to the Old School Presbyterian Church, Mr. Rives being an elder in the church. In politics he is a Democrat; his first presidential vote was cast for E. Seymour.
William T. Rice, citizen and farmer of Haywood County, is a native of Georgetown, S. C., born February 21, 1832, and is the son of John P. and Rachel (Rowell) Rice, who were both natives of South Carolina. The father was an extensive rice planter in his native State, and moved to Haywood County in 1837, being one of the early settlers, and continued farming until he died, August 28, 1877. The mother was born about 1824, and died in 1859. Our subject received a good education when young, and in 1853 attended one course of lectures at the Memphis Medical College but soon abandoned the profession and in 1854 began merchandising in Durhamville, Lauderdale Co., Tenn., remaining there three years, then continued the business at Brownsville until 1859. August 25, 1859, he married Sarah Hay, a native of North Carolina, born about 1834. In 1860 Mr. Rice located on a farm in Tipton County, but not being satisfied there, in 1872 returned to Haywood County, buying the farm on which he now lives. In politics he was a Whig before the war, but is now a Republican; he does not belong to any church but attends the Methodist. Mr. and Mrs. Rice have had six children, five still living: William T., born July 12, 1860; Mary A., born May 18, 1862; Myra L., born January 1, 1866; David B., born April 7, 1868; Dora H., born July 31, 1872, and Susie B., born February 15, 1875; she died in infancy.
Hon. James A. Rogers, a retired planter, residing at Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Alamance County, N. C., September 1, 1817, and is the son of John M. and Jane P (Russell) Rogers, natives of North Carolina. Our subject came to Tennessee with his parents when but eight years of age, and located in Haywood County, on a plantation three miles west of Brownsville, and here received his education. He has been engaged in agricultural pursuits from boyhood, and has dealt in real estate largely also. In 1847 he represented Haywood County in the State Legislature and in 1849 was re-elected. In 1851 he was elected and represented Haywood, Madison, Tipton and Lauderdale Counties in tile State Senate, and was re-elected to that office in 1853, serving till 1854. He has been, and is now, an extensive land-holder, and now has about 4,000 acres of land in Haywood County. He was the principal stockholder of the Brownsville Manufacturing Company, and was president of the same. Mr. Rogers has been generally successful in all his business transactions and has always been regarded as one of Haywood County's most substantial men. December, 1838, he was married to Barbara A. Foust, daughter of George and Maria D. Foust, of North Carolina. Mrs. Rogers died November 8, 1878. Our subject is a Democrat in politics, a Mason and a K. T.
Myer Rothschild, dealer in groceries and general merchandise at Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Germany, November 25, 1845, and is a son of Isaac and Bettie Rothschild, both natives of Germany. Our subject was reared a mechanic and received his education from the common schools. In 1867 he immigrated to America and located at Brownsville, Tenn., where he engaged in the mercantile business. He has been engaged in this business ever since and has met with fair success. He is now carrying a fine stock of goods and has his share of the trade. He started in life with nothing but what nature had be stowed upon him, but by honesty, industry and perseverance has made all he has and is regarded as a prosperous and energetic young man. In 1873 he was married to Mary Levy, daughter of Isaac Levy of Brownsville. Four children were born to our subject and wife, viz.: Bettie, Harry, Tillman and Mannie. Mr. Rothschild and wife are members of the Jewish church.
Henry P. Russell, a highly respected citizen and farmer of Haywood County, was a native of Guilford County, N. C. was born October 5,1832, and is the son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Wright) Russell, both natives of North Carolina. They moved to Tennessee in about 1837, and settled two miles north of Brownsville; the father died in November, 1852, and the mother in 1878. Our subject received a good education, and commenced farming at an early age and now owns 300 acres of the best land in Haywood County and also owns a great deal of machinery; he runs a cotton gin, a wheat thresher, a sorghum-mill and a mower, and makes a handsome profit annually. October 15, 1870, he married Miss Mary J. Duckworth a native of Haywood County, and this excellent lady died May 23, 1883; they had seven children - one daughter and six sons (three sons are dead): Frank K., born July 7, 1871; Walter, August 7,1872; Hattie M., July 18, 1874; Thomas D., October 23, 1876; William A., July 26, 1878; Alexander C. July 31, 1881, and Henry E. April 14,1883. Walter died August 11, 1872, William A., died October 13, 1879, and Henry H., died July 30, ??. Mr. Russell always supports the Democratic party, and for twenty-three years he has been an influential member of the Missionary Baptist Church, holding his membership at Zion Church.
William W. Rutledge, attorney at law, and a native of Haywood County, was born June 7, 1839, son of Joseph M. and Mary E. (Watkins) Rutledge, both natives of Middle Tennessee. The father came to this county about 1834-85, locating first at Wesley where he engaged in merchandising, About 1840 he came to Brownsville and here followed mercantile pursuits. He was elected clerk of the circuit court and held this office continuously up to the time of the war and two terms after that event. He was originally an old line Whig and was a Union man during the war, but was not a participate in that unpleasantness. He died here in 1879. Our subject grew to manhood in this city (Brownsville) clerking for his father in his youthful days in the circuit clerk's since and secured an academical education; also obtained some knowledge of the classics by attendance at Spring Creek College, situated in Madison County, Tenn. In 1858 he began the study of law under Judge Thomas G. Smith of this place. Two years later he was admitted to the bar. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company A, Sixth Regiment of Tennessee Infantry and was elected lieutenant of his company in 1862. At the battle of Shiloh he was wounded in the knee and did not again re-enter service. After the war he resumed the practice of law here. In 1881 he formed a partnership with John R. Bond the present attorney-general of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit which has continued to the present. In 1874 he married Claude Nolen of this county, and the fruits of this union are two children: Mary C. and Lillian. Mr. Rutledge in a Democrat in politics end in 1873 was elected to the State Legislature. He is an Ancient Mason and himself and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Return to Haywood Goodspeed Index