Robert W. Haralson, a citizen and energetic farmer of Haywood County, was born in the county August 20, 1845, and is the son of William H. and Isabella (McCulloch) Haralson. The father was a native of North Carolina, born in 1804 and died January 11, 1856. In early life be was engaged in the mercantile business at Ashport and Randolph, Tenn., and several years afterward engaged in steamboating on the Mississippi River, first in the capacity of clerk, then as captain. In 1847 he settled in Haywood County and spent the remainder of his life farming. The mother of our subject was born in Ireland, July 29, 1813, and came with her parents to this country when small; she died May 4, 1885. Robert W. Haralson had good educational advantages, and has since boyhood given his attention to farming; in addition to this he runs a grist and saw-mill and is a man of untiring industry, making a success of both his farm and mill. December 15, 1869, he was married to Sarah J. Barcroft, a native of Haywood County; they had nine children - six sons and three daughters - three of them are dead. He is a Democrat and with his wife belongs to the Methodist Church; he has served as steward for several years. Mrs. Haralson is a woman of fine intelligence, and exerts a good Influence in the community in which she lives.
Dr. M. P. Harvey, a physician, residing in the Eighth District, was born in Westmoreland County, Va., July 17, 1830, and was one of four children born to J. P. and Pannie (Dishman) Harvey. Dr. Harvey's father was born in same county October 4, 1804; was a farmer and prominent man; he was State Senator in Virginia for many years. and died March 29, 1862. His mother was a Virginian, born February, 1808, and died in 1841. Dr. Harvey was educated at Richmond, Va., graduating in 1849, and soon after commenced the study of medicine under Dr. W. P. McKenney, at Montrose, Va., and a year and a half later entered the medical college at Richmond, and graduated in 1856 then located at Oak Grove, Va. April, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Ninth Virginia Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Manassas, Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Wilderness and Appomattox, and had seven days of fighting around Richmond, Gettysburg and Petersburg, and surrendered at Appomattox. In 1866 Dr. Harvey moved to Haywood County, where he has had a large practice. He is a Democrat; cast his first presidential vote for Pierce; is a Mason and a member of the Methodist Church and the Haywood County Medical Association. Dr. Harvey is finely educated and is popular both as a man and a physician.
John Haywood, M. D., a retired physician of Haywood County, was born in Madison County, Ala., April 7, 1820, and was the son of Thomas J. and Susan C. (Glasgow) Haywood. His father was born in Orange County, N. C., in 1797, and in early life came with his parents to Davidson County, Tenn., and in a few years moved to Madison County, Ala., but in four years returned to Davidson County, where he died in December, 1868. The mother was a native of East Tennessee, born in 1799 and died in 1884. She was a woman of fine intelligence, and had received good advantages. Our subject came of an illustrious family; his father and grandfather were both lawyers of great fame; his father assisted Hon. Robert L. Cobb in the first revision of the statutes of Tennessee, and his grandfather, Judge John Haywood, was at one time one of the judges of the supreme court of Tennessee. Our subject is the second of eleven children. After completing his collegiate education he went, in 1843, to the medical university of New York. After finishing the course he returned home and commenced the practice of medicine, but in two years moved to Haywood County, where he established a very extensive practice and was Recognized as one of the most able physicians in West Tennessee. Dr. Haywood also practiced several years in Brownsville, and did faithful service during the fearful scourge of yellow fever there in 1878. June 25, 1879, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Boyce, whose maiden name was Reid. She died in 1883. Dr. Haywood is a Democrat and is well known as one over the county and state. He is said to be the best informed man in constitutional law in the county, and has written several able articles on the subject for the press. He is not a member of any church, but inclines to the Episcopalian.
James G. Haywood, M. D., of Brownsville, Tenn., was born in Davidson County, Tenn., June 1, 1826, being a son of Thomas and Susan (Glasgow) Haywood, and a grandson of the gifted Judge John Haywood. Our subject's parents were both natives of North Carolina (see sketch of John Haywood in State history). James G. was reared in his native county until his fifteenth year, when he went to New Orleans and engaged as clerk in the mercantile business. He received a good literary education from his father in youthful days. In 1845 he came to Brownsville and began the study of medicine under his uncle, Dr. Egbert Haywood, and later attended the medical department of the University of Louisville, where he took a course of lectures. In 1847 he engaged in the practice of his profession in this county at Woodville. One year later he became a partner with Dr. A. J. Barbee in the county, and in 1850 engaged in practice in Brownsville, but some two or three years later removed to the country and did not return to town until 1867, since which time he has been engaged continuously in practice here, having acquired a large and lucrative practice and met with more than ordinary and well deserved success - In 1862 the Doctor raised a company of Cavalry from this and Lauderdale Counties and participated in the late war as captain of Company M, Seventh Tennessee Cavalry, from the spring of 1862 to January, 1863. January 30, 1856, the Doctor married Miss Harriett B. Read, a native of North Carolina, who died January 25, 1871. To them were born eight children, four now living: Mary G., the wife of H. M. Stone, of this county; James G., a practicing physician in Dakota, being in the employ of the United States Government; Alfred R., a graduate of the Memphis Hospital Medical College and a partner of his father, and Wm. Henry. Dr. Haywood was a Democrat in politics, before and since the war, but belonged to the Douglas faction of the party before the war, and was strongly opposed to the war of the States, but after that sanguinary struggle came on, naturally espoused the Southern cause. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which faith his wife died. Dr. Haywood has always taken an active part and interest in laudable public and private enterprises of the county; is an ancient Mason and justly recognized as an enterprising and reliable citizen of the county, and a medical practitioner of experience and ability.
John R. Head, of the firm of Head & Montgomery, liverymen of Brownsville, was born in Murfreesboro, Tenn., March 27, 1844, son , of John R. and Eliza J. (Thomson) Head, of Mississippi and Tennessee respectively. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1863 he went to West Tennessee and engaged in stock business until 1870, when he began keeping a livery stable. He has met with fair success in all his undertakings, and as he started in life with nothing but what nature bestowed upon him, deserves much credit for his success. He owns considerable property in Brownsville, and in his political views affiliates with the Democratic party. He belongs to the K. of P. fraternity.
Richard L. Hotchkiss, of the firm of Wilder & Hotchkiss, at Brownsville, Tenn., dealers in dry goods and general merchandise, was born in Madison County, Tenn., near Jackson, August 25, 1835, and is the son of Holt and Eliza Lurry Hotchkiss, natives of Connecticut and North Carolina, respectively. Our subject came to Brownsville when but ten years of age, and was educated at that place. His father dying when our subject was quite young, compelled him to make his own way in life. He first learned brick masonry, and worked at the trade for one year, after which he attended school and gained a fair business education. He then served an apprenticeship with S. W. Bearson for five years for his board and clothing, and learned the watch-making and jeweler's business. In 1856 he and his brother, Stephen Hotchkiss, engaged in the jeweler's business at Brownsville, and was thus engaged at the breaking out of the war. He then entered the Confederate service with the Sixth Tennessee Regiment, and served until the close of the war, being a participant in several of the principal battles. At the close of the war he engaged in the jeweler's business, and was very successful financially. In 1868 he and his brother purchased a farm in Haywood County, and he was for several years engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1877 he came to Brownsville and engaged in his present business. In 1858 he married Margaret J. Currie, daughter of George and Judith Currie, of Haywood County. To this union were born five children: Willie S., Judith L., Claudius P. Finis P. and Dora, both sons being dead. Mr. Hotchkiss is a Democrat, a Mason, and he and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Junius H. Howell, M. D., was born in Greene County, Ala., October 11, 1824, son of William and Sarah (Bell) Howell, natives of Tennessee and North Carolina, respectively. The father removed to Haywood County in 1829, and practiced medicine at Brownsville a number of years, and died in 1844. Junius E. was reared and educated here, and studied medicine under his father. He graduated from the medical department of the university of Pennsylvania in 1844, and after the death of his father, began practicing in Brownsville, and continued the same until the breaking out of the war. He favored the Union cause, but did not participate in the war. In 1863 he removed to Memphis, and engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1870, when he returned to Brownsville, where he has since resided and practiced. He has met with more the ordinary success, and is the peer of any practitioner in Haywood County. In 1845 he married Virginia L. Scott, who bore him one daughter, who is dead. The Doctor is a Republican in politics, and was formerly an old line Whig. He is a Royal Arch Mason and K. of P., and he and wife are Baptists in religious faith.
Dr. Henry P. Hudson, a prominent physician and resident of Haywood County, is a native of Madison Co., and was born March 5, 1852, and is the son of Dr. James A. and Nancy (Freeling) Hudson. His father was also a fine physician, and was born in North Carolina, March 3, 1816. In 1847 he graduated at the Memphis Medical College, and located in Madison County, where he was engaged in a most successful practice until 1859, when he moved to Haywood County and continued practicing until his death, February 27,1875. The mother was born in Madison County, Tenn., in 1819, and died in 1856. Our subject was finely educated and after selecting medicine for his profession he went to the medical university at Louisville, and in the spring of 1876 returned to Haywood County and commenced practicing, soon acquiring an extensive practice, and justly winning the reputation of a skilled physician. Dr. Hudson has been married twice, first to Miss Hannah Dickinson, native of Haywood County, March 10, 1878. One daughter was born to this union. October 19, 1880, he married Miss Kate Bond. also a native of Haywood County, and they have had two children. Dr. Hudson is a sound Democrat and a deacon in the Missionary Baptist Church. He is a very generous man and a cultured, pleasant gentleman and is very popular.
Return to Goodspeed Index Page