History of Watson Museum
Submitted by Tanya Gattinger.
"The museum of Watson, originally a bank was constructed in 1907. (Watson became a town one year later). It's a pre-fabricated building, which means it was sent in kit form from Vancouver and assembled here. It is the only one of its kind left in Saskatchewan that hasn't been defaced.
Just outside, above the doors, is an interesting feature called a "caduceus" (wand entwisted by two serpents and surmounted by a pair of wings). This is a symbol of commerce or office. The building remained a bank until the late 1970's when a new CIBC building was erected.
The Watson Witness display shows tourists the first newspaper that was printed by G.H. Cameron. The Witness opened up in 1907, and is still printed today. Only it isn't printed here, but in Canora, Saskatchewan.
Our most treasured display is one of Toon Toye. Toon came over to Canada from China in 1923 when he was only 11 years old. The display includes the belongings that Toon brought with him. It consists of a straw basket, clothing and pictures.
The display in the office of the bank manager is all about Grant East. He was a strongman in the circus and went by the name Harry Muldoon. He was a cop in Watson and lived in Romance, Saskatchewan (south of Watson) from the early 1900's until his death in 1961.
This area has a lot of family history, and an interesting one at that.
Watson and District Heritage Museum
201 Main Street
Open June 1 - Sept 4
Wed - Sun
10:00 am - 1:00pm & 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Sender: Tanya Gattinger. Subject: History of Watson Museum. Date. August 1, 1999. Recipient Julia Adamson. Webmaster: Saskatoon Gen Web Project