See Other Augusta Info:
Augusta Changed to Wewela


Bliss Post Office

Bliss, established as a post office January 15, 1910, was located in SE1/4 35-103-77 in Greenwood Township. It was located one and one-half miles east of the Appleman place on the border between Lone Tree and Greenwood Townships. The site report estimates the population as being 100 families.

Bliss consisted of a little store and post office on the claim of Mr. and Mrs. Loren E. Bliss. Mr. Bliss was the first postmaster and Judd Stewart was the second postmaster. Mr. Stewart's daughter, Mabel, rode into Witten on horseback to pick up the mail. She was later married to Tom Worsley, who was the Witten postmaster.

The post office was discontinued October 31, 1912 and the mail was sent to Witten.

The Blunck Crossing was used by many of the early homesteaders in Greenwood Township. It was at the northeast end of the north section 26 in Greenwood Township and at the town of Sylvia in Lyman County.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


Carter is a town in western Tripp County. Shipping point is Winner, 17 miles east.

[Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

- - - - - - - - - -

The town of Carter was established and promoted by the Western Townsite Company with very high expectations. The town sat on a little hill in the valley of Deer Creek, which ended in Lake Westonka, the foot of the Red Hills. It was to be the gateway to the Rosebud. Carter was an incorporated town under the law of the state of South Dakota. When the first lots fwere sold on December 17, 1909, they brought the highest prices ever paid for vacant lots in any townsite in the Rosebud country, quite possibly in the state at that time. No lot was sold on main street for less than $1000.

One of the many fine buildings in Carter was the Home Hotel, owned by I. T. Stone. It was one of the most elite hotes west of Norfolk, NE built at the cost of $15,000.

Excerpts from the Carter News May 26, 1910, it's first issue: "Haisch & Co. General Merchandise has it's 25x80 building ready for occupancy; Materials for the Carter State Bank building are on hand and ready; Ginter Brothers Bank building is almost ready for occupancy; Langworthy & Company have a big hotel almost completed; Zeller building can be occupied almost any day now; Howard Cooman's building will be underway in a few days; Done & Sears Lumber office is about done; C. E. Kautch shop is ready for occupancy; Carter State Bank is open for business in the H. W. Jordan & Sons building with J. W. Stewart, Pres.; Charles A. East, Cashier; E. A. Jackson and George W. Segrist, V.P.; Dance at the new hotel building on May 31, the day of the big lot sale; Segrist runs a news stand as well as being VP of the Bank and postmaster; Farmers State Bank, T. F. Harrington, Pres., E.V, Sundquist, cashier and S. R. Martain, assistant cashier. Dougherty was the blacksmith and guarantied his work. The James A. Smith Lumber Yard was open for business. Langworthy & Co. restaurant and saloon and the Zeller Saloon were willing to quench the thirst of all and sundry.

High school pupils enrolled in 1920 were Lydia Kriz, Ethel Huddin, Erich Schlaikjer, Bessie Rains, Lucille Schaeffer, Orval Worcester, John McDonald, Gertrude Atwood, Elvira Klang, and Mildred Volkman.

Carter, as other towns, planned on the Chicago Northwesten railway passing through; it did not. Carter gradually declined until now there is nothing but a few old boards and rocks where once a building stood.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]

- - - - - - - - - -

Where the town of Carter got it's name is undocumented. This document contains the unnamed town with it's future depending on CN&W engineer E. C. Carter. This is a very possible source of a name for the hopeful railroad town.

In the south the company (Chicago & Northwestern Ry.) has filed with the secretary of state (SD) a resolution of extension of its Dallas line to a point on the extreme west line of Tripp county. The new terminal, according to the resolution, to be on the west line of section 23, in township 99 north, 79 west, which would make it very near where the line between the new counties of Mellette and Todd, touch the west line of Tripp. E. C. Carter, Chicago, 111., is chief engineer.

[Engineering and Contracting, Volume 32, 1909; submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]

See Other Carter info:
Carter Dam
Carter News, January 10, 1917
Carter News, May 16, 1918
Carter News, February 16, 1956


Chaneyville had residence and store that was located on the Southeast corner of section 17 in Keyapaha Township.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]

- - - - - - - - - -

Chaneyville Store

Chaneyville was located six miles south and two miles west of Colina on the property owned by W. S. Chaney in the SE corner of Section 17 in Keyapaha Township. There was only a store and it was in existence for only a short time.

Both Chaneyville and the W. S. Chaney 160 acres are labeled in "The Ogle Standard Atlas and Plat Maps 1915". According to the 1918 county map by Malven & McManigal the town is gone and the property is owned by a neighbor, John Irving who seems to have bought out Mr. Chaney.

There was never a post office in Chaneyville.

[RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


Coburn-Eastview Store And Post Office

Coburn was located in Valley Township in the NE corner of Section 19-95-74 on the homestead of Marion P. Carlock. The site report estimates a population of between 400-500. The post office was established April 28, 1910. Mr. Carlock was the postmaster and had a store and post office. The mail was brought from Paxton in Gregory County. Mr. Carlock proved up in 1910 and moved to Gregory.

The name of the post office was changed to Eastview on September 13, 1910. Roy Brumbaugh ran the store and post office for a few months.

John F. Corner was appointed as the second postmaster on October 10, 1911. Mr. Corner lived in the same section as the post office and ran the store and post office until April 3, 1912, when John H. Robinson became the third postmaster. The post office was discontinued on February 15, 1912 and the mail was sent to Paxton.

Mr. Carlock and Ray Brumbaugh were instrumental in getting the school district organized in June 1910. The school board members elected were George Dale, Lee Shanard and Mr. Banden.

By the fall of 1911, four school houses were built, a sod school house for Eastview and frame buildings for the other three districts. There were twenty children at Eastview the first year. The teacher was Amanda Draper from Boyd County, Nebraska.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


Colina Store and Post Office

Colina was located three miles west and eight miles south of Colome, South Dakota, in Lincoln Township, in the SW ¼ of SW ¼ of Section 18 on the Bowersox homestead. The post office was established December 4, 1909. Mrs. Emma Bowersox was appointed postmaster and had the post office and a little store in their home. The post office was named Colina after Bowersox’s daughter. They ran the post office and store until April, 1912, and then sold the store, The post office was discontinued April 30, 1912. The people in the area, feeling the need for a community building, solicited funds in the surrounding area and a hall was built across the road from the Colina store and post office, in the NE corner of Section 13 in Stewart Township. It was used as a gathering place for many years. Later the building was moved to NE corner of Section 21 and was known as Stewart Hall. It was torn down in 1947. The land was then owned by a Mr. Adams and is presently owned by Gus Ring.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


When the Rosebud Reservation was to be opened by the government for settlement, a quarter section allotment belonging to Mr. Chris Colombe was incorporated by William H. Tackett, H. A. Slaughter, Christ Colombe, and W. A. Meserve, into the Winona Townsite Company and recorded in Lyman County, South Dakota on June 2, 1908.

Not long after Winona was plotted into town lots, the name was changed to Colome with the "b" droped to avoid confusion in spelling, although it was still pronounced the same to honor Chris Colombe who was a very colorful character born in the Dakota Territory.

On March 1, 1909, the post office was established with the Chicago and Northwester Railroad company's first regular train entering town on November 28, 1910. Four passenger trains a day, two going each way, provided the fast growth of Colome. With the fast growth came the businesses.

J. P. Sullivan, a carpenter, bought one of the first lots and began building. He was the first settler in the townsite corporation. Next, he built the Colome Times Building, the first general store and hotel.

Other businesses followed; Tripp Hotel operated by Evans and Walters: Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Meloy operated a second hotel; a third hotel was run by Mr. & Mrs. Henry G. Sherman. Mrs. Libbie McCarville and Shorty McDonald had restaurants.

Five lumber yards supplied the town with lumber: Nye, Schneider, Jenks Company with V. S. Warner as manager; Von Seggern Bros. with Lawrence Ludden as manager and Victor Oxford as bookkeeper.; Dek-Harris Lumber Yard managed by Ona O. Gaskill; Floete Lumber Company with Paul Bingham as manager; and the Montgomery Lumber Company managed by Thomas Hayes and Art Hickman.

The banks were Bi-Metallic with C. W. Marley, John Knecht and L. W. Marley; the Tripp County State Bank with Val Fetzner and H. M. Sowden; the South Dakota Loan and Trust Company run by Don Shepherd and Orville Bowersox.

General merchandise stores were operated by John McGhee, Fred Sinkler, Charles Pohl, John, Emanuel and Charles Noziska, and John E. Tackett, a post trader at the Santee, South Dakota Indian Agency.

Colome had two drug stores. One operated by pharmacists, Frank Chamberlain, Jr. and his father; the second by Buck Nelson.

Three saloons were in business. The Dubuque Brewing company of Dubuque, Iowa was managed by Nick Stodden. William Miller and Don Cameron owned the other two saloons where John Koester and John Getz were bartenders.

Livestock buyers were A. B. Gable, Scott Bowling, Don Hall and O. W. Munson. Pat London, the auctioneer, through his humorous dialogs and the ability to judge the value of livestock, merchandis, machinery and property of all kinds, rapidly became famous throughout the territory.

North Livery Barn, was run by Charles and Matt McLaughlin and the South Livery Barn by Frank and Clarence Wood.

Two unmarried ladies, Miss Ellie McHenry and Miss Elizabeth B. Bradley, set up real estate and insurance offices, one on each side of the street.

Early doctors were Dr. Albert P. Kimball, Dr. Zimmerman and Dr. Schaeffer.

The postmaster was Henry Lemberg. The culture of the town was provided by the "Colome Opera House"

One of the citizens that shaped the history of Colome was Chris Colombe. His father was an early French settler and his mother the daughter of Pierre Dorian, who founded Fort Pierre. Chris, a tall, good looking, half breed, was a rancher and one of the most colorful characters born in the Dakota territory. He was a true cowboy, skilled with a horse, rope or gun. If you were his enemy, he would fight one man or a dozen; if you were a friend, he was remembered as having a big heart, giving his last dollar to someone in distress. He was comprehended as a cold-hearted gambler; his nod was worth thousands. Chris became the richest and most influential man of the Rosebud. On trips to town, Chris would give his young son bank checks previously signed with no dollar amount on them and he could buy anything he wanted.

See Othe Colombe Info:
Chicago Northwestern Railroad, The Dallas Extension.
Wewela State Bank to Bank of Colome

Cottonwood Springs

Located 12 Miles Southwest of Lamro in Section 17 of Rosedale Township.

See Hotel McCluskey Ad


Opens Store on His Claim

T. J. Courshon has opened a general store on his claim in sec 24-98-77. Mr. Courshon is a merchant of long experience in his former home, Geddes, S.D., and his friends predict great success for him in his new location.

[Tripp County Journal 6/17/1910 Submitted and Transcribed by RM Tripp Co Historical Society.]

Note: Courshon never had a post office and seems to have been located on section 25 of Weaver Township according to location of the claim in the 1915 Ogle Standard Atlas Plat Book, a possible typo in the news story.

[RM Tripp Co Historical Society.]


Dorian Post Office and Store

The Dorian Post Office was established February 5, 1912. Earlwin Frazier was the postmaster. The post office was located in the Dorian Store. It was discontinued September 30, 1912 and the mail sent to Clearfield.

The Dorian Store was located nine miles west of Clearfield, one and a half miles from Dorian Meadow School. The store was built on Mr. Walker's land which he got as a Soldier's Declaratory. Dorian Buttes are nearby and the name for both comes from Pierre Dorion a fur trader and trapper who acted as a guide and interpreter for Lewis and Clark. Descendents of Pierre were pre-homestead days settlers of the Rosebud.

Worth Holsclaw helped build the store in 1910. Mr. Holsclaw had come to this country in 1893 and worked at different places, once at the Courtis ranch for four years.

Earlwin Frazier put in the groceries for the first store and a year or so later sold it to Matt Boyle, of Millboro and Wallace Moffit. They also served the people by buying their eggs and cream.

After a few years, Matt Boyle and Wallace Moffit, were bought out by Worth Holsclaw, who served the people in the area with a barber shop as well as groceries. Charlie Hakins was the barber.

After World War I the store was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Vene Legge and continued to operate for some time.

Mr. and Mrs. Holsclaw, who lived in the area, tell of another store which was started south of Carter called Gate Way in Todd County. The name was given because the narrow trail to the place was between the rocky hill top not unlike a gate way.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


Gooby is a village in southwestern Tripp County. Banking and shipping point is Winner, 32 miles northeast.

[Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

- - - - - - - - - -

Gooby Post Office and Store

(by Vi Wiley Foster)

Gooby, established as a post office March 16, 1910, was located in Hosclaw Township in the southwest Comer of Section 25, in the homestead store building of Mr. and Mrs. William Gooby.

The Goobys came to Tripp County in the fall of 1909 from Carthage, South Dakota, where Mr. Gooby had run a store for twenty-six years. He shipped a car load of grocery stock from the old store, along with furniture and livestock, to Valentine, Nebraska, where it was freighted to their homestead in Gooby. Their living quarters were upstairs over the store.

Mrs. Della Gooby went to Valentine to make application for the establishment of a post office and received the appointment as postmaster on March 16, 1910. The name of "Gooby" was chosen by the postal department, as there was no other post office with a similar name.

Dave Peipgrass, the first mail carrier, brought the mail from Sparks, Nebraska, three times a week. After the railroad was extended from Dallas to Colome, the route was changed. The mail left Gooby about 7:00 a.m., and added mail at Clearfield and McNeely, then on to Colome and back, arriving at Gooby about 6:00 p.m. Bill Parkhurst was mail carrier and later Art Philips was the carrier.

About eighty people received their mail at the Gooby Post Office.

The post office at Gooby was discontinued on June 30, 1920, and moved to Keyapaha.

Goobys operated this store until the mid-1940's, when they moved to Colome.

[Submitted by Yvonne Hollenbeck; Family Tree Genealogy Club]

See Other Gooby Info:
Wm. Gooby & Mrs. Gooby
Mrs. Gooby, Postmistress, Gooby, South Dakota


Hamill is a village in northeast Tripp County. Shipping point is Winner, 22 miles southwest.

[Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

- - - - - - - - -

Wamblee was the original name of the area and is thought to be the name of the Government issue station which was at that site. Next, it was named Gould by the Federal government in April 1909, after a store owner. On May1910, a Post Office was set up on the west side of No Moccasin Creek and the name was now Roseland after the wild roses that covered the area. This name lasted a year and had to be changed once more because of the confusion in the postoffice department between Rosebud and Roseland, so it was named Hamill.

Hamill is located twenty-two miles northeast of the county seat of Winner and was a trading center trading center of the northeast part of the county. It overlooks No Moccasin Dam. In 1909, when the town was first started, the stores were all operated out of tents. Some of the stores at Hamill were Duncan & Stewart, Gilman Gilbert Store, Condon Store and Meat Market, Hamill Grocery and Dry Goods, Brecht's Drug Store, McClintock's Lumber Yard and Cooley's Station. Williams's Livery Stable took care of the homesteaders horses and Mrs. Williams served meals in their home which joined the livery barn and Wash Leedom's Blacksmith Shop. Mrs. Hugh McEachran and Mrs. James McManigal were often called in to care for the sick or deliver a new baby.

Hamill's postoffice is still in operation, surrounded on main street by the abandoned, falling apart buildings of earlier years. A small grade school building now serves the students, setting along side the vacant, big red brick school that served both high school and grade school. Three churches have endured through the years and still hold services; Westminister Prebterian, Lutheran and Catholic.


Houston Post Office

The original proposed name for the Houston Post Office was Caledonia. This was the first post office in Tripp County It was established as a post office on May 25, 1894. At the time this area was located in Presho (Lyman) County. Changes in county lines later moved it into Tripp County. It was named after Mrs. Houston, a widow, and was located in NW 1/4 of Section 12 in Gassman Township, almost on the banks of the White River in the extreme northern end of Tripp County, on the tip of the western one of the three fingers of land that extend into White River. Houston is about thirty miles northwest of Winner in the vicinity of the Clark Hollenbeck ranch. Nicholas Theisen was the first postmaster and owned the store.

There were a number of Indian families who lived on land allotments on the bottom land along the river banks.

There is an Indian Cemetery east of the present DeJong ranch buildings and further east was a Day School.

The post office discontinued on November 14, 1925. Due to erosion from heavy rains and the flooding when the river ice broke up each spring, the channel of the river changed over the years and washed away the land where the post office building stood. The building, which had almost rotted away, gradually broke up and has all been washed away. Because of these changes in the river channel, the Houston Post Office has moved from Tripp County into Lyman County.

As remembered by some of the older settlers, the Theisen Crossing was northwest of Hamill in Lone Star Township in the vicinity of the old

White River bridge near the DeJong Brothers ranch. These crossings were used by the homesteaders when they had to ford the rivers.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


Ideal is a post office in northern Tripp County. Shipping and banking point is Winner, 14 miles south.

[Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

- - - - - - - - - -

Ideal received it's name from the first homesteaders in 1909, who met and decided to name the neighborhood Ideal, as they thought it was the ideal place to live. Ideal never developed beyond a post office/store combination, which was a gathering place for visiting for many years. Later, the post office was moved next to the Presbyterian Church a mile west, leaving the original site of Ideal with a few empty houses and a faded dream.

Postmasters over the years were John Katt, Sigrid Bondesson, Florence Patrick, Mrs. Ray Snow, Robert Patrick, H. P. (Pat) Dixon, Florence Anderson, Mrs. George Beardsly, Genevieve Frank, Wilma Calhoon and Judy Lantz.

Early homesteaders and pioneers in the Ideal Community were William W. Lenker, Ed and Nels Anderson, George Mayes, S. L. Davis, Archie M. Bice, Watkin J. Vanneman, Elof N. Lantz, Clyde Calhoon, Archie Frantz, Ed Habegar, John Hau, August Nelsen, Carl Christensen, Marten Jorgensen, Sr., Ed Johnson, F. Frank, Edward Brown, J. Hazard, W. A. Auston, Samuel A. Pinkerton, Geo. Goolsby, Casper T. Schueth, Adolph Nelsen, R. J. Hampson, A. G. Ivers, Henry Miller, J. Auble, T. C. Hurd, E. C. Collier, J. C. Brown, C. L. Heller, Wade, W. C. Chancelor, L. E. Lang, J. W. Peckman and O. C. Knapheide.

Today, Ideal is considered by locals as the "Village". The post office sets next to the Prebyterian Church and across the road to the west is the Ideal Hall and brick high school/grade school building, still being used by grade school children. Across the road to the south on Tribal Land is the Holy Spirit Episcopal Church, Holy Spirit Indian Cemetery, Guild Hall and the "Village" where a large number of Native Americans live. Some of the early families were Thunder, Eagle Hawk, Old Lodge, Felix, Bear, Gunnysack, Bad Hand, Winterchaser, Red Horse Plenty Horse and Stands.

See Other Ideal Info:
Ideal School Honor Roll Nov & Dec 1923


See Other Jordan Info:
Jordan News, August 12, 1910


Kenyon Post Office

Kenyon was also located in Plainview Township in NW 1/4 36-98-74, two miles south and one mile east of Stenson's Corner, and in early days was the only post office on the route between Roseland and Dallas. It had a small store operated by a homestead couple named Waldleigh, who came to Tripp County from Omaha, Nebraska, where Mr. Wadleigh had been a bank clerk. The post office was established on July 22, 1909, and was discontinued on May 15, 19ll.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


Keyapaha Store And Post Office

Keyapaha is located in SE corner of Section 24 of Holsclaw Township on land that was donated to the town by Walter Braden.

After a new community store was built by Mr. E. H. Lawler, the post office at Gooby was discontinued and operations were moved to the Keyapaha store on June 30, 1920.

The name Keya Paha, a Sioux Indian name meaning "Turtle Butte", was requested, but the government named it in one word Keyapaha.

The store was run by Mr. and Mrs. Armand Hudson and Mr. Hudson was appointed postmaster. In August, 1929, Mr. Hudson resigned as postmaster and Marie Lawler was appointed postmaster. Through the years Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Lawler and their children operated all the business places in the little town that served a large community area, about thirty-two miles from Winner.

In the building with the post office, Marie had a library and a beauty parlor. Martin Lawler and his wife, Edna, operated the grocery store and cream station. Martin also operated a garage and gas station. Two other children, Dan and Lucy (Mrs. Walter Stoltenburg) who formerly operated the store, now live in Billings, Montana. Marie retired as postmaster in 1976 and Edna Lawler was appointed as officer-in-charge.

In the fall of 1981, Mr. and Mrs. Martin Lawler sold their home and business and Marie sold her trailer home to Leon and Connie Storms. The Lawlers moved to Valentine, Nebraska thus ending more than fifty years of Lawler family service to the Keyapaha community.

The post office, store and garage are were operated by Leon and Connie Storms until 1989 when they moved to Nebraska. At that time Paula Sharkey was appointed Officer-In-Charge.

Keyapaha lost it's post office on June 3, 1989 with the mail being handled out of the Winner office at that time. The zip code for Keyapaha was removed from the postal system on July 19, 1997. The area is serviced by Gene Welch on a Highway Contract Route currently (2013).

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


47,000 Bushels of corn, Feb. 1923

Cyclone at Keyapaha, June 24, 1930

- - - - - - - - - -

The following poem, by Katie Lyons Allen (who was raised on the Lyons homestead nearby), sums up the feelings of many of the area residents who so enjoyed doing business at Keyapaha:

(By Katie Lyons Allen)

Today I returned to Keyapaha, our little country store;
although it was in shambles, I saw it like before.
I sat down on the bench where I used to always sit
and I found in the silence it hadn't changed a bit.
I still could hear Edna, in her friendly way,
visiting with a neighbor ... always knowing what to say.
I heard the screen door open and Mart came whistling in,
"Well, hello there Katrina," he said with a grin.
And though the sparrows nested where the groceries used to be,
I hardly even noticed, it looked the same to me.
I stepped into the library, avoiding holes in the floor,
and though the shelves were empty, I stood there like before.
Marie stood there beside me helping me to find
just the book I'd like to read, she always knew my kind.
I'm glad that I came back today, not just to see the store,
but to hear familiar voices and relive it all once more.

[Submitted by Yvonne Hollenbeck; Family Tree Genealogy Club]

See Poem "Keyapaha - Clearfield Pioneers"


Komer Post Office

Komer is located in Star Valley Township in SW1/4 34-102-76. The Western Townsite Company plotted forty acres into town lots and a lot sale was held on May 3, 1910, at the townsite. Mr. Miner from Lyman County bought the first lot in Komer townsite and built a store building. L. W. Komer bought the store from Mr. Miner and the Komer post office, which was established November 16, 1919, as located in the store.

Mr. Komer was the first homesteader in Star Valley township, coming March 25, 1909. Henry Axlund was the first postmaster. Meyer Feder became postmaster in July, 1913. The post office was discontinued on May 31, 1914, after the rural routes were established in the area. The Highway Contract route from Ideal now serves the Star Valley area.

Len Komer, in his homestead story, tells of the death of Mr. Jesse Wolf, (the grandfather of Donald Phillips) who died of a heart attack. Three wagons from the neighborhood, about nine men and Mrs. Wolf and children started on the journey to Kennebec (the nearest town with a cemetery) for the funeral and burial services for Mr. Wolf. They had to ford the White River at “Edna Crossing.”

Edna, a settlement just across the White River in Lyman County, was seven and one-half miles almost straight north of Komer or ten and one-half miles north of the early Ideal post office. Kennebec was about a mile east and several miles north of Edna cemetery.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]

See Other Komer Info:
White River


Lakeview is an area but not a town. Lakeview area is north of Dog Ear Lake. The Lakeveiw Church was about 2 miles from the lake. At the lake the Flynn's had a store, dance hall, gas station, rodeo grounds but no post office.

[Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]

See Other Lakeview Info:
Lakeview, October 24, 1918


Main Street Lamro - 1908

Off to the ballgame - Lamro, SD July 3, 1909

Lamro Hotel being hauled to Winner
Submitted by Harvey, grandson of Charles W. Carter,
who owned the Bluefront Livery pictured above.

Lamro was the first town in Tripp County, incorporated in 1907 by Oliver Lamoureaux with the help of two associates, called the Lamoureaux Townsite Company. The town was platted and sold. A courthouse and school and many business buildings were built up in the summer of 1909. The postoffice was established October 31, 1907, with the name spelled Lamro, which sounded the same but was easier to spell. Lamro, in June 1909, was the temporary county seat. In 1909, it's population was 750.

The railroad failed to connect with Lamro going to the new town of Winner. There was much feuding and actual fighting between the tow towns for the position of county seat. Winner won the county seat and eventually, Lamro moved her buildings to Winner. The post office was discontinued in 1911.

Some of the first businesses to move to Winner were Lamro State Bank, Kisling Store, Sas and Kechmar, Smith and McGreevy, Hall and Grieves, S.N. Opdahl and Jay Weaver. Others buildings moved to Winner from Lamro were the jail and the Palace Hotel. The businesses moving to Winner were located at the north end of Main Street. Keeping at least a small remainder of who they were and that it was not a friendly move. In 1910, the court house was moved and placed on the NW corner of Madison and Third Street in Winner.

1908 Directory of Lamro
  • Lamro Public School, Mrs. Blanch Brown, Principle
  • Lamoreaux Townsite Co, O. Lamreaueaux, president
  • Postmaster, Arthur Brown
  • Roe Mercantile Co., Roe Bros.
  • Jas.A.Smith, Lumber and Coal, H. G. Wheeler, Mgr.
  • Lamro Land Co., E. R. Sutton
  • Bank of Tripp County, V. J. Wagner, Cashier
  • Farmers State Bank, C. G. DeBer, Cashier
  • Real Estate, Slaughter and Standiford
  • New Lamro Hotel, Lamoreaux Bros.
  • Lamro Feed Barn, G. E. Van Meter
  • Lamro Livery and Feed Barn, G. W.Roane, Prop.
  • Blue Front Livery and Sale Barn, C.W.Carter, Prop.
  • Star Liveryand Feed Barn, Townsend and Browse
  • Hardware, G. E. Shaver
  • Lamro Meat Market, Ed. Lockwood
  • Pioneer Saloon, J. Reuther and Co.
  • Attorney-at-Law, G.O.Van Mater
  • Real Estate, Ed Shives
  • Loan and Real Estate, J. J. Wagner
  • Cigars and Confectionery,A. B. Brown
  • Pool Room and Bowling Alley, C. H. Soukup
  • Tripp County Journal, J. W. Putney
  • Contractor and Builder, S. N. Opdahl

    See Other Lamro Info:
    30 Buildings Leave Lamro
    Celebration For Lamro
    Lamro Band July 04, 1908
    Lamro Booming
    Lamro Has A Complaint
    Lamro, SD March 1910
    New Lamro Wants Depot


    Linden is a post office in southwest Tripp County. The banking and shipping point is Winner, 35 miles northeast.

    [Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Linden Store and Cemetery

    Gus Linden from Burke, South Dakota, homesteaded in Beaver Creek Township in the fall of 1909 and put up a shanty in 1910. In 1911 he put up a store building. Dane Piepgrass brought the mail from Sparks, Nebraska, later being brought from Colome. Gus also organized a ball team and everyone from miles around took Saturday afternoon off and came to Linden to play ball. One 4th of July, 1500 people attended a celebration there.

    In 1915 Grant Dick passed away and was buried in a pasture ½ mile south of the Fred Hanson home. A cemetery was established by the people in the community. Lester Jaynes, who died in the 1917 flu epidemic is also buried there. A homesteader, Nels Johnson, built a casket for him. There are 33 registered graves in this small country cemetery.

    [Submitted by Yvonne Hollenbeck, Family Tree Genealogy Club]


    Magnet, a discontinued post office in eastern Tripp County.

    [Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

    See Other Magnet Info:
    Postlewait Postmaster Appointment


    McLain was established as a post office on March 10, 1908. The population was estimated at 100 people in the site report. McLain was located in Section 10, Township 100N, Range 76W. It was discontinued on June 30, 1909. The mail went to Presho.

    [Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


    McNeely, a post office in southern Tripp County. Banking and shipping point at Colome, 7 miles northeast.

    [Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

    See Other McNeely Info:
    Hail Storm At McNeely
    Lee McNeely
    Lee McNeely, Postmaster
    McNeely Store and Post Office
    McNeely To Celebrate
    Stewart Geddes Obit
    Regulations For The Sale Of Certain Lots In Minneota (Mcneely) Townsite


    Millboro, a village in southern Tripp County. Shipping and banking point at Colome, 25 miles north.

    [Doane Robinson's Encyclopedia of South Dakota, 1925, sub. by cd]

    See Other Millboro Info:
    Millboro News - Jan 10, 1924


    Pahapesto Post Office

    Pahapesto, located on SW1/4 33-102-78 in Pahapesto Township, was named after the single butte which stands alone in the northeast quarter of that section.

    The post office was established November 5, 1909, and along with a small grocery store was in a room of the Ole Cornelius house. The first postmaster was Ole Cornelius. The second postmaster was Elmer C. Jennings, appointed January 7, 1911. Frank Dierks, Sr., son of a homesteader just across the road in Curlew Township, was hired to haul the mail from Carter, South Dakota, three times a week. Ole Cornelius also had a small blacksmith shop. The post office, store and residence were entirely destroyed by fire in July 1913, and the post office was officially discontinued September 15, 1913. The mail was sent to Carter.

    John Kauer, Bob’s father, was the first homesteader in Pahapesto Township. Among other early homesteaders were Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Rutter; Thomas and Nellie Chivers ( parents of the late Mary Chivers, who worked for many years at the Winner Farmers State Bank); Mr. and Mrs. Chris Nielsen; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Burtz; and Mr. and Mrs. Arp, and Anna Kositzky Owens, a squatter who lived in a tent for six weeks before her house was moved from Dallas. She was the first teacher in Pahapesto School.

    There was a river crossing near Cavite, which was in Lyman County in the northern part of Pahapesto Township near the north Section 26. Earl Burtz remembers going to Cavite to get the mail. There was a pulley across the river that people used if the river was too high to cross.

    [Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society] See Other Pahapesto Info:
    Pahapesto Butte


    Shoemaker Store And Post Office

    The Shoemaker Store and post office was located in the southwest corner of Rosedale Township in SW ¼ of Section 31, south of the buttes about twenty miles southwest of Winner. The site reports estimates the population at 300 people. The post office was established January 15, 1910, and the store opened for business in April, 1910. An ample supply of staple groceries was carried, with new goods being brought in regularly by Overland Freight from Dallas, the railroad point. Charles H. Shoemaker was the postmaster and Mrs. Shoemaker and her son Floyd Cook, helped in the store.

    The mail was brought from Carter three times a week. Tilly Smith, George Waterman and Floyd Cook each served a turn as mail carrier. At one time there were about 270 people getting their mail at this post office. Most of the homesteaders in the community were young people and on mail days the store was a gathering place where they could visit and buy their groceries.

    Social activities and barn dances were held in the barn of Mr. Shoemaker and Gus Luth. Both square and round dances were held and the Rohm brothers furnished the music for the dances.

    The main Sunday afternoon attraction through the summer was baseball. The Shoemaker ball team was reputed to be very good, having won twenty-two straight games in one season. Floyd Cook was the manager. Other sports were wrestling and coyote hunting.

    Father O’Hara, one of the earliest Catholic priests in Tripp County, celebrated mass at the Shoemaker home. G. C. Kerston arranged for Sunday School at his house, and a few miles west of the store, Rev Poppke held church services in the school house.

    The post office in Shoemaker was discontinued August 15, 1912. The mail went to Carter.

    The Shoemaker Store was closed in 1914 and the family moved to Des Moines, Iowa. Wayne Dougherty now owns this land.

    [Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]

    Smith Town

    Smith Town and Store

    Mr. and Mrs. Art Smith moved to this country in 1910 and opened a store just 1 1/2 miles north of the Nebraska line. Their children were: Maude, Loretta, Mary Ellen, Gene, James Edward, Tom, Sue, Agnes, John, and Leo. Art lived to be 96 years old and his wife 89 years. She passed away in 1970 and both were buried in the O'Neill Cemetery in Nebraska.

    The Smith Store served the community from 1910 to 1932.

    [By Ines Sharp; submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society]


    Wayne Post Office

    William B. Roe, of the Roe Mercantile Company, received word Monday that a post office has been granted for the townsite of Wayne and that he has been appointed postmaster. This townsite is located on the southwest quarter of section 27, in township 98, range 79, and is owned by Roe Bros. and Ed Hall, of Lamro.

    The Roe Mercantile Company will establish a branch store at Wayne as soon as a building can be completed. Business for this firm has been so good in Lamro that they feel justified in starting another store in this county. Charles S. Roe will remain here in charge of their Lamro store.

    Note: The post office in Wayne was discontinued in October of 1910 and the mail went to Lamro.

    [TheTripp County Journal, Tripp Co., SD, published November 5, 1909]
    Submitted by RM, Tripp County Historical Society.


    See Other Wewela Info:
    Flouring Mill at Wewela
    Wewela State Bank to Bank of Colome
    Wewela Store Building & Stock Destroyed


    Winner, SD 2/18/1939

    Photographer: Rodney Key
    Submitted by Lucille Crouch Garrick

    Winner, the county seat of Tripp County, in the heart of the Rosebud country, took it's name in 1909 because they thought it would win the right-of-way to the Chicago & Northwestern railroad. At a town meeting held to decide on a name for the new town, E. G. Barnum told the meeting to be careful about what name it was given because he thought it would win the railroad. Therefore, it should be a good name. Claude Maule said it was then decided to name the town Winner, which was the luckiest of all towns in Tripp County.

    In June of 1911,the rails for the coming railroad were laid across Winner's main street. Two gold spikes had been obtained for the occasion and were driven in by F. M. Ziebach, the mayor, and Don Sinclair, the postmaster. The first passenger train arrived in Winner on Sunday evening, July 2, 1911. It was to arrive at 9:15 p.m. Yes, it was late by half an hour! The train had 56 passengers aboard. The Winner brass band, along with the entire town and everyone for miles around were at the depot when the train arrived. The first agent was H. B. Mosher and the first operator was E. B. Hill.

    The battle for the county seat was next on the agenda. Winner, Colome and Lamro were on the ballot. November 11, 1910, the canvassing election board reported the official results: Winner 1553; Colome 1079; Lamro 151; Spoiled 66, Total votes cast 2849.

    This was a night to be remembered. Winner people came with their teams and wagons to Lamro to get the records from the old court house there. The Lamro people resisted and the fight began. The people of Winner finally triumphed, each book was fought for piece by piece. The books not entirely destroyed were thrown into wagons and men jumped on top to fight the others off. The books were so badly mixed up that they were never fully separated. January 15, 1911, the Auditor and Treasurer records were burned in a fire which destroyed the temporary court house in Winner. At the investigation it was the opinion that the fire was the work of incendiaries. The new $200,000.00 court house was built when A. G. Ivers, John G. Mackaman and O. E. Farnsworth were the county commissioners. The people of Lamro, in the end, gave up and there was a great rush of moving their buildings to Winner. Large steam engines and as many as 74 horses at a time moved the buildings.

    At the November 11, 1910 election in Winner, the following officers were elected:

  • Auditor - John J. Halligan
  • Judge - L. B. Callender
  • Register of Deeds - Harry Volz
  • Clerk of Courts - Melvin Johnson
  • State's Attorney - F. C. O'Hallern
  • Superintendent of Schools - Mary B. Campbell
  • Sheriff - Leroy Little
  • Coroner - I. S. Hooker
  • Commissioners - T. B. Burns, J. L. Brown, and Edward Brown

    Spring of 1911 brought the start of a building explosion to Winner. Work was done to the Butterfield and Barnum building and to The Superior Lumber and Coal Co. Will Fulwider erected an automobile garage, and the Heckman Furniture Co. and B. A. Krueger's Restaurant were renovated. Three saloons were licensed to Guy Sleezer, F. C. Thomas and Joe Koch. New homes were also being built by Louis Vlasak, Leroy Micholson and Charles Rose.

    The first telephone office was in the post office on East Second Street, which Don Sinclair, the postmaster, took care of. Later, Miss Olive Pitchford, "Big Sis", was the manager in the first telephone office on East Third Street.

    Other early businesses in Winner were:

  • Smith and McGreeve Grocery,
  • Doherty and Talbott Law Firm,
  • United States Commissioner F. M. Ziebach, who issued government deeds to the homesteaders when they proved up.
  • G. P. Love had a Jewelry Store; he was also Justice of the Peace,
  • Kisling Store,
  • The Tripp County Journal, a newspaper owned by W. E. Bridgeman,
  • Winner Advocate a newspaper started by Willis Grieves,
  • Shaver Hardware Store,
  • Toggery,
  • Poolhall,
  • Miller's Drug Store,
  • Physicians: Dr. Miller and Dr. Hooker,
  • The Smoke Shop,
  • Anna Hamm's Millinery,
  • Klos Meat Market,
  • Winner Hotel,
  • C.O. Hilliard had a tin shop,
  • Buckios Sweet Shop,
  • Wagner Drug Store operated by Wagner & Macann,
  • Beaulieu Hardware,
  • The Fish Furniture Store,
  • Roe General Store,
  • Kendall's Restaurant,
  • Dewell Clothing Store,
  • Z Smith Grocery,
  • Mitchell Bank,
  • Cosmo Theater owned by Clark Lakin,
  • DeBuhr Bakery,
  • Pullman Cafe,
  • Read's Bowling Alley and Pool Hall,
  • Thomas & Sleezer Saloon,
  • J H Phillips Hotel,
  • Matson Clothing Store,
  • Security Bank,
  • Chas. Owen Land Office and Insurance,
  • Lienhart Photo Studio,
  • Adamson's Meat Market,
  • Antiseptic Barber Shop,
  • M. K. Nolan Farm Implements,
  • Keller & Sjoblom Real Estate,
  • Koch's Saloon,
  • Asquith & Pugh Clothing Store,
  • Red Arrow Garage, later purchased by R. D. Albaugh,
  • Beck's Spot Cash Store,
  • Harris Hotel.

    Some of the names of the first citizens were: Backus, Brown, Dad Burpee, Brownlow, Cameron, Mary J. Campbell, Callendar, Davies, Elwell, Fulwider, Geurtin, Gardner, Haisch, Hannet, Kell, Lannon, Maule, Shorty McDonald, Mosher, Meredith, McLine, Omstead, O'Halleran, Rose, Robertson, Julius Sandoz, Dr. Snook, Russ Read, A. B. Smith, Sterns, Stutzman, Speidel, Geo. Tritle, Harry Voltz.

    All towns have their unique characters. Winner's was Ben B. Butts. He and his wife came to Winner in 1919. He began his business in a piano box in the corner of the livery barn where he worked. He would buy gloves, honey and overalls. He would ask the livery customers if they wanted to buy gloves, if they did he would pull a pair out of his pocket. If they did not, he would show them his other merchandise. Later, after he had enough money, he moved into a little building a block off main street and down the alley. As his inventory increased, he would add to his building. His store was unpretentious in appearance; the large interior was a scene of activity every day of the week. Little effort was put into the appearance, the stock was arranged principally for convience.

    Because he bought in carload lots and sold them at a cut price, he was called "the outlaw down the alley" by competitors. Ben adopted the name "The Outlaw" for his store. His motto was "We Buck Em All". Later, the building was destroyed y fire and rebuilt into a modern department store and is still doing business as "The Outlaw Trading Post" with several large chain companies owning it through the years.

    By 1920, the homestead lands had changed hands many times and less tha 25% of the original homesteaders were living in the Winner Area.

    Last, but certainly not least, the beautiful Ringneck Pheasant must be mentioned, for it made Winner famous. In September 1913, Tripp County's allotment of 12 pheasants arrived from the State Game and Fish Commission. The consigment came to Mitchell and McLain of the Lamro State Bank. They turned them out along Dog Ear Creek. From that small allotment, Winner has become known as the Pheasant Capitol of the World. The ringnecks bring thousands of hunters to the Winner area each year and provide a large income for both the town people and the farmer/rancher.

    See Other Winner Info:
    Commerical Club For Winner
    "Lone Ranger" Visits Winner
    Rapid Growth of Winner & Misc.
    Winner Burns Fire Guard
    Winner Is Booming
    Winner Firm Has Nine Men In Service
    Winner Subscribes Over $50,000.00
    Winner's 1st and 2nd Post Office


    (Old) Witten & Red Hill

    Judge Witten was the agent in the Government department which set aside certain sections of land known as government town sites. One was on the north half of section 2-100-78, later named in his honor.

    Old Witten had its lot sale June 7, 1909. Doing business in Witten were: Wells Hardware, Vanderzee and Bailey Hardware, Robertson General Store, Atlas State Bank, Farmers State Bank, S. D. Ewing Store and Fred Rahn Ford Agency.

    Hostile competion existed between Witten and Red Hill, a town just a short distance from Witten. Red Hill was platted three months before Witten and the organizers of Red Hill were determined to draw the area farm trade away from Witten.But most of the farmers were doing business in the town of Witten. In the end the business men in Red Hill decided to join Witten. It was a peaceful move with the Witten people helping move the buldings into Witten.

    Red Hill businesses were the Farmers State Bank, Hollinbeck Grocery and Meat Market, two lumberyards, George McDonald and Frank Mauler each had a livery stable, two saloons and several small offices.

    The railroad missed Old Witten by a few miles. If the railroad would not come to them they would go to the railroad. They moved lock, stock, and barrel, and called it New Witten. Gradually the new was dropped and it became Witten once again. The Chicago-Northwestern railway ended at Witten. It became another town fading away to time, with empty, deserted buildings and a few residents.

    See Other Witten Info:
    Witten News - August 12, 1910

  • Return to Homepage

    Copyright ©
    All data on this website is Copyright with full rights reserved for original submitters.