Kidder, So. Dak.

Kidder
South Dakota

A Brief History of Kidder

The town of Kidder probably began as a depot, a water tower, and coal bins along the railroad being built from
Duluth, Minnesota to Aberdeen, South Dakota in 1885-86. The town was founded in 1885 and was probably
named after Jefferson P. Kidder, who was a delegate to Congress from Dayton Township from 1875-1889. He
died two years before the town was founded. The first school in Kidder was a two room building located southeast
of town, but in 1919 a new building was built northwest of town and included a high school. The school was in existence
until 1969 when it was consolidated with the Britton School District.

Below is a 1929 Plat Map of Kidder

Above map submitted by Kathy Buisker

Return to Cities and Towns Page

Return to Marshall County Main Page

Page created 8/25/06

Last updated