Source: Langford: 1886 Centennial 1986, June 13-14-15.
Langford, S.D.: Langford Bugle, 1986.
Langford and the Langford Bugle will each observe the 100th Aniversary in 1986.
In 1886, R.G. Bester arrived from Groton and started the first newspaper in Langford. He continued as editor for several years until he sold the paper to T.W Brondgest who published the paper until illness forced him to call Lin Miles who arrived in November, 1896. Mr. Miles was an apprentice on the "Day Light" Print Shop.
After Brondgests death, Lin Miles acquired the business and on January 14, 1897, published the paper under the name, "The Bugle".
In 1905 Mr. Miles moved the shop to Williams Bros. Hardware. In 1907 Mr. Miles bought the James Johnson Hotel building where the Bugle was printed until 1919 when he sold the building to W.G. Lambert and moved the plant into the Robbins Building, buying out H.L. Pugh.
In 1943, Miles sold the building to Leonard Likness and moved the newspaper plant into the original Farrar Building where he continued until he retired in 1945. Mr. Miles had been the postmaster in Langford for many years.
Quentin Miles, better known as Kenny, bought his father's business and continued the newspaper until he sold to Dale Holdridge and Charles Card on October 1, 1960, with Holdridge taking over as editor. The Bugle received 2nd place for the South Dakota Press Association in 1961 as the most improved paper in the state. Holdridge who published the paper for 21 years, moved the plant to the former Dwight Furniture Building in 1963.
Holdridge, who retired in July, 1981, sold his interest in the Bugle to Charles Card at that time and Eugene Morton, former Britton teacher, became editor.