Lyman County, South Dakota  Genealogy


 History of Vivian 

    As found in the “Vivian, 1906 – 1981, Echoes of the Past of its First 75 Years” compiled
by Mary Stolley and generously shared with us by Sylvia Hulce now living in Arizona.


  The Milwaukee Railroad decided to build west of the Missouri  River. In 1905, the railroad is as far west as
Presho. In 1906 the railroad is as far as Vivian, and in 1907 the train went as far west as Murdo. On July 22, 1907
the train made its first run to Rapid City.

                  Moore  home and post office

Joe Moore, in 1892,  was established in a store and post office located east of the present town site-said to be
the first site of Vivian. In 1906, he moved the store and post office to Vivian; and in April of 1907 sold to John Morrissy
Miss Moore continued as postmistress.
            Vivian got its name after the Christian name of Mrs. Harvey Hunter, whose husband was a pioneer lawyer,
land agent and a representative of the Milwaukee Railroad Company when the town was founded.
            Medicine Creek is a translation of a Sioux name meaning "Medicine Butte Creek," given it because it flows near
Medicine Butte north of Reliance. Medicine Butte so called because it was a place where the Sioux Indians gathered to
make medicine.
            Stoney Butte was formerly McClure Butte, named for Patterson Frances McClure who was prominent in
the early affairs instrumental in opening part of Lower Brule for white settlement. The name was appropriately dubbed
"Stony Butte" by the early settlers because of its rocky exterior.

 Lot sale

VIVIAN W AVE: July 13, 1906
            As was advertised the lot sale today took place (Wednesday forenoon, July 11,1906.) It was an ideal day and
consequently an immense crowd was present. The special train bearing C. A. Padley, general land agent  for the
Chicago Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad Co.; his chief fieldman, A. L. Le Claire; the auctioneer, J. H. Chrichton, and
also a large crowd of passengers arrived in the city about nine o'clock.
            After looking over the town for about an hour, Mr. Padley invited their attention toward him as he delivered a
short speech in regard to the up-building and development of the town and county, and the brief history of the railroad
company. He then announced the prices of business lots at the minimum prices: corner lots, $200 and inside lots, $150.
The minimum prices of residence lots were $100 for corner lots and $75 for inside lots. Bidders were to bid for choice
and to pay a bonus for choice, and the amount bid to be added to the minimum price. Terms were to be 10% discount
for cash or on a contract of one-third cash, and the balance on one or two years time, at 7% interest.

Foot racing

VIVIAN WAVE: August 10, 1906 
            Foot racing is the chief sport in Vivian at present. Nick Olson has proven himself to be the champion. Laf
Rundall may have taken the honor if he hadn't stubbed his toe.

Lumber-yard sold

VIVIAN WAVE: August 31, 1906
            The Fuller Lumber Company leaves the field to J. A. Smith and J. F. Anderson. A deal has been made between
the three lumber companies doing business in this place, whereby the Fullerton company disbursement of its stock of
lumber and goods will go to the other two yards, J. F. Anderson and the H. A. Smith companies. An agreement was
made so that one of them is to drop out in each of the towns, Vivian, Presho, and Draper. J. F. Anderson goes to Presho,
the Fullerton Company to stay in Vivian; and J. A. Smith Company to go to Draper. This will reduce the expenses of
each company and allow them to have practically the same amount of business. J. F. Anderson has already moved into
the building vacated by the Fullerton Co. John Evans, who has so ably looked after the business for the Fullerton Co.,
was transferred to Draper as soon as the business is closed up here.

A list of Final Proof notices

VIVIAN WAVE: July, 1907
            Bryan R. Conway,  Charles Noble,  Arthur Morse, Clarence W. Spawn,  James Mann,  William Thomas, Gladys
M. Wilson,  Peter Clausen, Joe Mike, Otis A. Whan,  Joseph Mott, Leander Hulce, Nelson Bagley, Oliver Martin,  
Joseph Moore, Columbus Goforth,  Arthur Noe, Thomas Moore, Clarence Hecht, Florence Harrington,  Perly Stevens,
Lafayette Rundall, Jorgen Clausen, Irvin Phillips, Peter Bayer, Oliver Martin, Osgood Wait, Ira Hockenbury, William
Coon, Bruce Bruntlett, Frank Beith, Hortense Bagley, Byron Conway, Walter Minty, William Richards, Arthur Morse,
Alexander Wortley, George Minty, Louis Woodward;
            Sadie Irwin, Harry Hitchcock, Fred Dibbert, Herbert McGraw, Daniel Lillie, Guy Cowan, Irvin Phillips, Halvor
Strum, Christian Neilson, Edward Westphal, William Thomas, Charley Cook, Jane Whan, Sigvart Siverson, Henry
Newman, Charles S. Farrer, Asa D. Robbins, James Loughren, Earnest Sage, Roy Davis, Peter O'Byrne, John Walsh,
Bernard Sloan, Will Meskel, Bertha Malone, Michael Murphy, Henry Mattson, Carl Lintvedt, Ole Rognstad, Blanche
Luge, Will Boyd, Reinhold Juhnke, Henry Mahnken, Olaf Erikson, Lilla Stewart, Duane Bradshaw, Edna Bradshaw,
Frank Stewart, Frank McCormick, Rodney Acker;
Joseph Murray, Samuel Carson, George Wuest, Levi DeGarlis, Charles Noble, Orlanda McCary, Eugene Clingen,
William Straus, Nevin Ross, Oliver Martin, Thomas Johnson, Calilo Zakeb, Charles Flint, Samuel Carlson, Alfred Nelson,
Walter Bealer, Rodney Acker, Opul Olson, Seymour Snyder, Jean Turner, Rueben Ader, Bert Leggett, Edward Sliter,
Henry McConkey, Elsie Ficke, Anton Syvertsen, Joseph Mike, Olophene Werby, Tom Dagsland, Michal Clover, Joseph
Milke, Arthur Colgan, Reuben Ward,  Axel Olson, Frank Heath, Ellis Shoop, Ida Slinde, Alice McDormatt, E. K. Sletto,
Oscar Lintvedt, John Yates, Lawerence Hosking, O. Sanders, Hugh McKimmie, M. Jefferson, Samual Coon, Jeanie
            Will Lugen, Archie Gibson, Nancy Coon, Winnifred M cKimmie, W ill Costello, J. Floyd Perry, Cyrus Cook, Alvin
Wickey, Henry Dahl, Mary Dahl, Clyde Day, Wm. O'Callaghanall, William Agnew, Oren Griswold, Frank Andrews,
Nelson Rodman, Percy Wilcox, Anton Gilbertson, Edward Gamble, Alvin Gamble, Chris Bjerke, James Morton, Elmer
Ale, Miles Goffney, Charles Noble, John Watt, Milton Hopping, Clarence Spawn,  Assaf Gosen, Abdon Montague,
Lafayette Rundall, Asa D. Robbins, John Kinsey, Peter Bayer, James Loughren, Alfred Ohlson, Walter Minty, Roy Davis,  Hoyt Cox, Fannie Park, Jean Turner, Dan Lobdell, Asg
ood Wait, George Ward, Rank Drolls, Ida Slinde, Walter Biely, George
Olson,  Jeanie McGowan, Nannie Ross , Daniel Desmond, William Costello, Bessie Hitchcock, William Wilson, Earnest
Lawson, Laura Woodward, Bessie Sletto, Ottilie Juhnke, Louis Siemer, Ole Sletto, Martha Alsager, Olaf Burnll, Oliver
Martin, Clarence Horsfall, Elna Bevans, Louis Freese, Walt Meskel, Charles Hanson and John DeDecker.

Whitbeck Bank

Whitbeck Bank came from Chamberlain. H. B. Holmes became a partner, and came to work in the bank in 1909.
He remained here until the bank failed and closed. (1928-1929). The story goes that Mr. Whitbeck, an ardent Seven Day
Adventist, was found to have been indescreptive with the use of the bank's fund. He poured funds into an Adventist
Sanatorium. This left the bank with no reserves when banks began to fail. The Vivian Whitbeck Bank closed its doors
in 1929.

Vivian State Bank

            The Vivian State Bank, January 9,1909,  Alfred Ohlson, cashier 1909-1913; Harry Calahan, cashier 1918;  O. C.
Boyle, made the first deposit when the bank was opened. S.P. Severson was the first president, 1909-1914; M.F.
Severson the first vice-president.  The structure burned in 1915, and was replaced with the present structure.
            T. A. Regnier, cashier 1913-1915; Fred Brown, cashier 1916-1918; Presidents: C. F. Kruegar. 1914-1917;  W. L.
Montgomery 1917-1921; E. M. Sedgwick 1921-1924; H. VV. Shoop 1924-1929; O. C. Dunlap, 1929 .
            Directors who served the bank down through the years were: O. L. Lintvedt, C. J. Wilson, Mrs. Bertie Dunlap,  
Myrle Hilton, Nellie Callanan Vance,  Omar Vance, cashier 1944-1946; C. W. Tomhave, vice-president 1946-1955; Dave
Moore 1950, became cashier 1955. Other employees: Rex Heston, La Donna Breen, Maxine Hullinger, Doris Burns, Ruth Weaverstad,  Donna Erikson,  Joyce Smith, Alice Larson, Arla Lindquist, Marsha Moore, Russell Black, Eunice Hullinger,
Yvonne Huffman.
            In the year 1979, the Vivian State Bank was purchased by the Pierre National Bank and the name was then
changed to Bank West.

Only band in Lyman County

VIVIAN WAVE: April 12, 1907
    The Vivian band, the only band in Lyman County, will make its first appearance next Tuesday evening. A good crowd
should be out to the dance to encourage the boys. The proceeds are to go toward paying for the instruments and music.
(Later) The dance was given and the receipts amounted to nearly $20 above expenses, which will almost put the band
boys out of debt. The band was led by William Stolley; Jim McWhirter played the slide trombone. His brother, Wilson,
played the drums. They furnished the music for the bowery dances on the street. Names of the other members of the
band were unavailable.

One year old

VIVIAN WAVE: July 12, 1907
            Vivian was one year old Thursday of this week, that being the anniversary of the lot sales. While the town has
not experienced the boom that some other towns of the County have, it has made a steady growth and today has a very
bright future before it. A year ago, (1906), the only building on the present town site was the Milwaukee depot; and in
that time has built up a town with most lines of businesses and professions represented. The town now has two large
general stores, one hotel, and grocery, one restaurant, two lumber yards, two real estate offices, a bank, a drug store, a
meat market, livery barn, a blacksmith shop, tin shop, feed store, pool hall and a number of nice residences. There is
also a furniture store, which will be ready for business as soon as stock can arrive; a clothing store and another black-
smith will soon be open. Vivian has a good territory to draw from and all lines of businesses have enjoyed exceptionally
good trade.

 List of businessmen in Vivian

VIVIAN WAVE: July 1, 1907

            Contractor and Builder, Chris Buck; General Merchandise, John Morrissy; Feed and Flour,  Syyertsen and
Sanders; Department Store E.K. Sletto; Real Estate and Loans,  Flint Bros.; Hotel and Groceries, Bagley; The City
Restaurant,  W. J. Dills; Carpenter and Contractor,   George W. Baltzer; Harness maker, William Stolley; General
Auctioneer, Frank H. Palmer; The Palace Livery, A. C. Nelson, proprietor - George Gasen; Bank, A. C. Whitbeck; J. A.
Smith Lumber Co,  J. S. Smith, Mgr.; The Vivian Meat Market, C. J. Bulla; Confectionary Store,  Beulah Weber and
Bros.; Tinner and Plumber, Chas. H. Hinch; Furniture Store,  W. K. Thomas; Blacksmith, R. C. Ward;  Meat Market,   
Carl Kettlesen; Physician and Surgeon, Blake S. Allison, M. D.; Contractor and Builder,  W. J. O'Callighan; Tailor,  J.
W. Swift; City Restaurant,  Ole Magistad;  Barber Shop, J. A. Glass;  Sign Painter and Paperhanger,  E. L. Tesselden
and Drug Store, Carrie Sacker.

 Some short notes

Vivian, S. D. Moore Post Office
Sherman Bates, Editor
July 5, 1907
A bunch of 25 or 30 Italians arrived here this week-end. They are working on the railroad.
Aug. 16
.Rev. Minty organized an M. E. Church and Sunday School.
Aug. 9 .O. P. McCray is circulating a petition asking the county commissioners to put a bridge across the Medicine Creek
straight south of Main Street and to open up a road southeast of town.
Aug. 16
. John Morrissey and the Ice Cream Parlor had gas lighting plant put in this week.
Aug. 30
.The Vivian school opens next Monday. Miss Imelia Skinde has been engaged as teacher. There are 25 students.
Sept. 18 .There is a new bell for the school house.
Sept. 6.
Dr. Blake S. Allison of Wentworth, S. D. is soon to locate here. He rented the Flint Bros. Real Estate Office.
Sept. 6
.The trustees of the M. E. Church in Vivian met at the office of White & Parrick and decided to begin the erection
of a church building in Vivian.
Nov. 28  The new fire engine and hose cart arrived last Thursday afternoon, It was unloaded that evening and hauled
around town by the young people.
Dec. 13
. Services in Vivian at 10:30 by Father Kelly. August 2 .The first Lyman County Fair will be held in Presho on
Sept. 10, 11, 12 and 13.
1908 -Distance above sea level at Vivian-1899 Ft.
1909 -
The first Stock Show in Vivian was held in the summer of 1909.
.Dr. Webster installed a telephone.
Jan. 15
. Wheat $1.38.

Fourth of July

VIVIAN WAVE: July 5, 1907
            July Fourth, this nation's birthday has come and gone. The celebration at Vivian, although being hindered by
numerous unavoidable conditions was a success. The bridge being out at Chamberlain, some things which would have
been added to the enjoyment if the occasion could not be gotten here. The day was an intensely hot one, but the large
crowd which came to Vivian to celebrate made the best of it. The program was carried out nearly as advertised. After
the parade, the people assembled at the bowery where music was rendered by the band, followed by prayer by W. K.
Thomas. The school children sang a song. The audience was then favored by a beautiful solo by Miss Gladyne McWhirter.
            The train on which the speaker was to come was nearly two hours late, so the address by the Hon. I. N. Auld of
Oacoma was postponed until one o'clock. After dinner the crowd assembled at the bowery and listened to a very patriotic
address full of good advice for the people of Lyman County.
            Then the band led the way to the ball grounds where the game between Vivian and Murdo was pulled off. The
game resulted rather disastrous for the home boys, the score was 12 to 3 in favor of Murdo. A wind storm came up about
ten o'clock before nearly all the fire works had been set off. The dance in the bowery was well attended but the threaten-
ing weather caused them to move to the hall for a while. A large number stayed until daylight when the dance broke up.

Prairie fire

VIVIAN WAVE: April 16, 1908
            Tuesday morning about 11 o'clock, the gasoline stove in the shack of Mrs. Olson, a widow lady living twelve
miles north of Vivian exploded and seriously burned Mrs. Olson. It destroyed her buildings and live stock. The fire
swept south into a terrific prairie fire, as the wind was very strong. The fire swept south in narrow strips, allowing new
head fires to break out. Several abandoned shanties were burned and many hay stacks. Just north of Stony Butte, the
shack and barn of Al Jewitt were burned. The barn, grain, chickens, and some live stock of Mr. Eagen. The barn and
grain of Otto Gustavan burned. This meant a loss of several hundred of dollars to each.
            After a hard fight, fire guard breaking, and back firing, Mrs. Woodward's house was saved. The house of Mrs.
Porter, just  north of town, was saved at the last moment  owing to her house not being cover-ed with tar paper. Mrs.
Porter had already deserted the shack with few bundles of clothing. She ran to an empty cave for protection. The fire
was finally put out two miles north of  town.


VIVIAN WAVE: June 18, 1908

            The recent high water damaged the bridge over Medicine Creek. Instead of repairing it a new 24-ft. bridge is
being built, straight south of main street.

 Notice For Bids 

VIVIAN WAVE: July 20, 1909
            Sealed bids will be received at the office of school clerk, up to and including Friday, Aug. 13, 1909, for the
erection of an addition to the school building in Vivian.

 Ship cattle by rail

VIVIAN WAVE: Oct. 21, 1909
            Saturday will be another big day at the Vivian Stockyards, John Mallock, a cattle buyer from Chamberlain,
will ship a train load of 10 cars; Albert Anderson will ship three carloads; John Olson will ship six carloads. Altogether
this will make two train loads for the Sioux City Market from Vivian.

 Dr. Coy at livery barn

VIVIAN WAVE: Oct. 21, 1909
Dr. Coy will make the Vivian Livery Barn every Saturday. Dental and operations attended to.

Paying taxes

VIVIAN WAVE: January 21, 1910
            It is not necessary to go to Oacoma to pay your taxes. The Vivian State Bank has a duplicate tax list-Your taxes
can be paid at the Vivian State Bank!!!

 Telephone stock

A paper was circulated this week soliciting stock for a telephone company here. Quite a number of shares were
taken and nearly enough others promised to finance a local exchange. A meeting is called for Feb. 8th, to organize the
company and adopt a constitution and by-laws.

 To build hotel

VIVIAN WAVE: March II, 1910
            Arrangements have been completed for the building of a hotel in Vivian. The building is to be located just north
of the old furniture store on the east side of Main Street. It is not to be less than 2ft by 50 ft. and two stories high. The
businessmen and citizens have contributed liberally. The building to be completed by July 1st.

 Seven years old

VIVIAN WAVE: April 22, 1910
            With this issue the Vivian Wave enters the seventh year and  since it establishment has had varied experiences
as a frontier newspaper. The Wave was first published at Westover on the White River, the first issue being dated March
26, 1904. W. H. McMasters was editor and publisher. In September of the year the paper was moved to Lund. During
the winter of 1905 and 1906 the Wave building and equipment was burned. It was several weeks before a new building
and outfit could be gotten to take the place that was destroyed by fire. In the spring of 1906 the Wave was moved to

 Matched foot race

VIVIAN W AVE: July 22, 1910
The matched foot race between Grove Heath of this place and Walter Hubbard of Presho was pulled off at the
latter place last. Saturday. Our man proved the winner. Grove did most of his training behind a breaking plow.

Pony rides


Letter to Edwin: Well, I lived on a farm with my parents, brother, and three sisters. We kids didn't get to  come to town
only about once a month. One thing I do remember is the pony cart and Shetland pony that Oscar Lintvedt owned. He
would hitch the pony to the cart and let Dan Webster drive us kids allover town. Dan was a bigger boy, and liked to do
this. We thought it was a very special treat. He especially remembers the day that he. his sister. Mabel, and baby
brother Severre had their pictures taken, standing on the board sidewalk on the south side of Casey's Drug Store. Joe
Casey took this picture.

 Jumps 13 feet

July 29, 1910
            L. C. Woodward comes on with the latest snake story. Last week he was plastering A. N. Whitaker's house
west of town. While there Lou slept in an old shack. One night he got out of bed to close the door. Mr. Rattler cut loose
with his alarm clock right under L. C.'s feet. Lou jumped thirteen feet right over the foot rail of the bed. After he had
recovered from the shock, he proceeded to kill the rattle snake.

 First annual harvest picnic

VIVIAN WAVE: Aug. 13, 1910       
            Vivian's first annual harvest picnic has gone to history and it will be remembered as a most successful cele-
bration. The weather conditions were not ideal; several showers interfering with the morning pro-gram and keeping
away a large number of people. The tennis tournament and morning ball game had to be called off.  1n the afternoon,  
there was a ball game-Vivian vs. Draper, 5-2 in favor of Draper. There were horse races, foot races, a tug of war. Prizes
were awarded to the best teams; the newest married couple; the homeliest man; the largest family (the Shoop family).
A goodly number of Indians gave an exhibit of their famous War Dance. Unfortunately the Merry-Go-Round did not run satisfactory.

VIVIAN WAVE: Feb. 3, 1911
            Agent McCollum received word from the Milwaukee Railroad authorities that they will give the lease of eighty
acres, south of the track for the Experiment Station. This is greatly appreciated by the citizens of Vivian and will be
doubly so if we land that appropriation.

 Christmas Eve in Vivian -1911

A letter written to Miss Amy Washburn (Mrs. Jesse Heath) who was living in Sturgis, S. D., from Mrs. N. E.
Koon, of
Vivian, S.D.
Christmas Eve in Vivian in 1911 was the first public Christmas celebration the town had ever given. The homestead-
ers were tired of their monotonous life and were longing for the "old-time celebrations like back home."  The program
was under the auspices of the M. E. Church, then newly organized. The church building being too small to accommo-
date the crowd, the program was given in the city hall, which is above the only store in town.
            Committees were appointed and money for the purchases of the candy, nuts, and Christmas tree decorations was
solicited by popular subscription. The largest Christmas tree in Mitchell was ordered to be sent west to Vivian. Maudona
McCollum, Berniece Frost and H. B. Holmes were the decoration committee.
            At last came the evening for the program. Everyone taking part seemed to be so anxious and eager to do their
part that the program was a huge success, by their enthusiasm, if not by actual merit. After the program, candies and
nuts were passed out to everyone present.
            Before leaving, everyone once more cast a parting glance at the magnificently decorated Christmas tree which
glittered and shone with its candles and decorations as if it were bidding one and all to stay. But finally young and old
departed-they went into the frosty night, jumped into their sleighs, homeward bound, tired each and all, happier than
when they came.
            Pearl Hullinger remembers this program very well. Her recitation in the program was "The Night Before Chris-
mas" ... heart, mind and soul, refused to utter the lines "and his little round belly..." So she just skipped those lines and
went on to finish the recitation.

 VIVIAN WAVE: Oct. 31, 1913
            Quite a commotion took place in the post office last night when the post mistress, Anna Morrissy, demanded that
some linoleum be put on the floor. It seems that in the extreme northeast corner of the office there was a tiny hole which
allowed considerable cold air to come in. It took some figuring to get said hole covered up, but after some arguing by
Tom Regnier and Harry Kelly, and some planning by the post-mistress, the linoleum was put down and the hole was
covered up.

 Free marriages

March 5, 1915
            It is a matter of fact that the newly elected justice of peace at Vivian have decided to tie all matrimonial knots
free of charge as an inducement to the many bachelors in the county. No doubt when this becomes generally know,
Vivian will be the Gretna Green of Lyman County.

Vivian Post Office

q       Joseph Moore -1906,  Anna Moore, Postmistress

q       John Morrissy – 1907, Anna Morrissy, Postmistress

q       Harry Kelly - 1915

q       Joe Mott – 1921 Post office was located in the building next to where the HK Bar is now. This building was
   bought by   Sam and Signe    Hall and now sits on a corner lot east of the Bar.

q       Joe Mott - Post office moved the old Whitbeck Holmes Bank building.

q       L. E. Hoskings - 1926

q       Jesse Heath- 1924, Post office in the Heath Building and later moved to the brick building.  

q       Harvey Hullinger -1960, Post office now located in a new brick building just north of Vivian State Bank.

q       John Petersen - July, 1963-Nov.1964

q       Burke Severyn - Nov. 13, 1964


Preacher arrives

VIVIAN W AVE: March 25, 1910

The good people of Vivian were so rejoiced at having a preacher come into their midst, that they bestirred
themselves to give him great recognition. The suddenness of his coming made it necessary to have brief arrangements
made by Wednesday evening. Our citizens assembled themselves with happy hearts at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jostad
to have the preacher realize how much they appreciated his coming. But alas, it was soon learned that the preacher was
not to be found. The last known of him, he had gone to one of the farthest points, and knew nothing of the reception
that had been planned. However there was a goodly attendance and a most enjoyable evening was spent. Rev. Potter
arrived in town the next morning and now the people are wondering just who the joke was on!


First Norwegian Lutheran Church West of Vivian

 Vivian Lutheran Church
            In 1906, the second resident pastor came to organize the Vivian Norwegian Congregation. Rev. Thomas Alfred
Nelson took charge of the several congregations by driving a single horse and buggy to preach in his various charges.
The next step was to build a church. It was built on a plot of ground given by Oscar Lintvedt, six miles west of Vivian.  
            In the early thirties the church was moved to Vivian. Rev. Troen continued conducting services here until 1939.
Rev. Baalson and Rev. Smeby followed Rev. Troen. During the years 1947-1954, the new church was built on the same
location. The old church building was sold to Edith Gannon and became an addition to the Gannon Store building. Since
the new church was built the following pastors have served: Rev. Helm; Rev. Harklau; Rev. Beckman; Rev. Hanson; Rev.
Lingen; Rev. Kelly.

 Dedicate church

VIVIAN WAVE: Oct. 28, 1910
            The church in the Sletto Settlement located on Oscar Lintvedt's place will be dedicated next Sunday, Oct. 30,
1910 by Rev. Brudvig from Mitchell. The services will begin at 10:30 a. m. There will be an English service at 2:00 P. M.

 Vivian Catholic Church
            The information on the Vivian Catholic Church was unavailable for the most part, so the following run down is
very sketchy. In 1904, there was a mission church here, served by Father La Fluer. In 1919, a  parish house existed here.
Sometime in the twenties Vivian and Draper shared a Priest, Father O'Bryan.1n the late 30's the church and priest's
house in Draper was destroyed by Fire. Father Roberts served the church in the early forties. Father Drew was resident
priest here when the Vivian church and house was destroyed by fire in 1947.
            Father Murray served the Vivian Church. From here he went to be in residence at Sky Ranch.
            Father Heup-1950.
            Father Valo- -1952. The Catholic Church from Okaton was moved to Vivian and remodeled. It was dedicated
the Sacred Heart Church in 1954. Vivian became a mission church of Presho, served by Monsignor Grady until 1971.
After the completion of the new church in Presho in March, 1971, services were discontinued in the Sacred Heart
Church in Vivian.

 Vivian Methodist Church
            The Vivian Methodist Church had its early beginning 1907- 1914. The first meetings held in the school house
building where the Hansler home now stands. Later a two room school building was erected in Vivian, and the group
continued their meet
ings here.
            The first appointed pastor was Rev. W. Minty, who with his family settled 10 miles north of Vivian in Hope Valley. The
present church building was built in Hope Valley in 1907. The first M.E. Church in Vivian was organized June 3, 1911 by
the following signers: L. E. Hosking; G. W. White; D. W. Kenyon; H. T. Frost; Charles Q. Woodward; Walter Hitchock;
Herman Slinde; Dan C. Phinny
            The Hope Valley building was given to the Vivian M.E. Church in 1913 by the Dakota Conference. A parsonage
was added to the Church property in 1911. The M.E. Church became part of the Presho Methodist Church in 1978.
Thirty one pastors served the Methodist Church in its 67 years of existence.

              Local Legion Post a reality

 VIVIAN RATTLER: Feb. 3, 1922
            A charter has been applied for and granted by the State and National Headquarters for the Webster-Newman
Post, No. 157 of the Department of South Dakota. The following in the procedure of the first meeting of the ex-soldiers
and sailors of Vivian and vicinity for the purpose of organizing a local P

ost of the American Legion. L.V. Newman elect-
ed temporary chairman.
            Committee named by the chairman to suggest a name for the said post. The committee could not agree as to
name of the  Post, so a vote was taken of all those present, and the name Webster- Newman was agreed on, in honor of
two former citizens of Vivian, Harry J. Webster and L. Newman, who lost their lives in the War of 1917- 1918. They
valued civilization and all that America stands for. They gave their lives to the cause of liberty and justice.
            The following officers were elected -by ballot: Post Commander - C.J. Aisinbrey; Post Vice-Commander - H. B.
Holmes; Post Adjutant - L. V. Newman; Post Finance Officer - C .J. Gregary; Post Historian - C. J. Wilson; Post Chaplin -
C. T. Ross; Post Sergeant of Arms - P .H. Schlotterback.

 Stock Show Winners

FANCY WORK: (The names of 1st and 2nd place winners given in that order.)
    Home-made bedspread- Mrs. Hulce (2nd); Pillow Cases: Mrs. G. T. Williams, Mrs. S.D. McLarnan; Hand-made towel:  
Miss Westdahl, Mrs. T. A. Regier;  Center piece:  Mrs. H. E. Kelly, Mrs Frank Regier; Sofa cushion: Mrs. O. P. Bunnell,
Mrs. H. C.Frost; Fancy bag:  Miss Westdahl (1st); Solid embroidery:  Mrs. Clara Johnson, Mrs. H. E. Kelly; Eyelet:  Mrs.
H. E. Kelly, Mrs. S.D. McLarnan; Drawn work: Mrs. J. Latimer (1st); Colored embroidery:  Mrs. Frank Regier, Miss Olive
Koon; Punch work:  Mrs. H. E. Kelly,  Mrs. O.P. Bunnell; Stencil work: Mrs. S.D. McLarnan (1st); Crocheting:  Olive
Lillie, Miss Westdahl; Tatting: Mrs. McMeekin, Mrs. Frank Heath; Painted china:   Miss Anderson, Mrs. A. L. Jewitt; 
Hand work, under 12 :  Ethel Halvorson, June Stolley; Loaf of bread, girls under 16: Clothilde DeGarlis (2nd); Cake,
girls under 16:
  Lois Hosking (2nd); Best baby  under 6 mo.:  Mrs. Freeman,  Mrs. C. Lintvedt; under one year,  Mrs. G.
Williams,  Mrs. A. Thorson.


Best lady horse-back rider,  Alpha Lawrence - $.300, Lorena Gibson - 2.00
Bronco busting,    Howard McLarnan - 10.00; Geo. Shield - 5.00
Free-for-all dash (100 yd.) :  Avon Lester - 5.00 , Shorty Barton - 3.00
Relay foot race:  Hullinger - 4.00
25 yd. dash (boys under 18):  Matt Schnert - 1.00,  L.J.Moore .50
50 yd. dash (boys under 12) - Herman Zeisman 1.00, Clarence Marlin .50
Sack race:  D. J. Hullinger  - 2.00
Night shirt race: Merle Bunnell -  3.00
Handkerchief race:  W. E. Lerum - 3.00"
Rescue race:   H. B. Holmes  - 3.00
Half-mile free for all:  G. Cherington - 10.00, Chas. Rabsdeau - 5.00
Quarter-mile pony race:  A. J. Hullinger - 10.00, Howard Morrissy - 5.00
Quarter-mile pony race for girls:  Edna Ohlson - 3.00   Signe Sletto - 1.50
Quarter-mile Shetland pony race: J. S. Hullinger - 5.00
Relay race on horse-back:  Phil Fallis - 10.00
Potato race on horseback:  H. B. Holmes - 5.00
Tug-of-war between Indians and whites,   Whites  - One box of cigars

 Vivian has disastrous Fire

 VIVIAN WAVE: April 23, 1915

A fire Friday night consumed the entire length of a block on the west side of Main Street, with the exception of
one building, destroying nine buildings, which with their contents, represent about $40,000. The properties burned are
as follows: Jas. A. Smith Lumber Yards and buildings, owned by James A. Smith of Osage, Iowa; restaurant building
owned by E. K. Sletto; Bunnell and Sons hardware stock, building owned by E. K. Sletto who also owned the adjoining
small building which had formerly been occupied as a cream station; V.L.C.C. library building owned by S.D. McLarnan;
H.C. Frost & Co. stock of general merchandise, building owned by S.D. McLarnan; Vivian State Bank; Hugh
McKimmie's pool hall, fixtures and stock, building owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Bouquet, Guttenberg, Iowa;  S.L. Coon's
saloon, building owned by Schwenk-Barth Brewing Co. of Yankton, S.D. The insurance covers $16,000 of the loss.
            The fire started about 8:00 o'clock in the H. C. Frost & Co.'s store and was caused by an explosion of a portable
gasoline lamp. The lamp had been lit by Mrs. Frost in the store and carried out by Mrs. Frost to their apartment in the
rear of the store. As she placed the lamp on the table, a huge flame shot out from it and in an instant the room was
enveloped in flame. The presumption is that the tubing directly above the mantle of the lamp had been melted by the
heat, permitting the compressed gas within to escape, thus causing the explosion.
            Within seconds the entire interior of the building was one mass of fire, and shortly the blaze protruded through
the roof of the building near the south west corner of the building. The strong breeze from the south fanned the flames
onto the adjoining buildings and even against the wind, did the fire progress so rapidly that within an hour an entire
row of buildings, from Casey's drug store to the Anderson lumber yard was leveled. This latter (which is the property
of Smith Lumber Yard) was the only property not burned in this block along the west side of the street, and was saved
because of an intervening space of 80 ft. between it and the burned area.
            Other portions of the town, both to the north directly in the path of the falling sparks, as well as the opposite
side of the street were in immediate danger of also being burned. Only the valiant and persistent efforts of the citizens
prevented further destruction. The paint was blistered and window panes were cracked in most of the buildings on the
east side of the street opposite the devastated block, but the constant pouring of water over the fronts and roofs of these
buildings saved them.
            A large number of people from the surrounding country had come in to participate in a reception which was to be
tendered Mr. and Mrs. Nels DeGarlis. The telephone lines had spread the news of the fire, to those who were still at
home, so that in a short time several efficient bucket brigades and fire companies were at work. The Draper and Murdo
fire departments were appealed to for assistance. They hurriedly fitted out a special train and came down, but the fire
had already leveled the area within the block and had been check-ed from spreading further by the time they arrived.
            Mrs. Frost received a painful burn on her left hand and wrist by the explosion of the lamp, but it is indeed fortune-
ate circumstances that she escaped serious injury. The Frosts lost all their personal effects, furniture, etc. Mrs. Frost's
rings and other jewelry were also left behind in their hurried flight from the burning building.
            The buildings were all of frame construction except the Vivian State Bank, which was of cement blocks. The
vault in this building was opened Monday afternoon and everything was found to be in good condition. Considerably of
the goods in the Bunnell & Sons hardware were saved. The Bunnell's hardware was insured for $2000. Practically noth-
ing was saved of Frost & Co.'s merchandise. The insurance carried was $3500. Mr. Sletto's buildings were insured for
$1000; Mrs. Bouquet's for $1000; Mr. Coon's liquor stock for $500; the Vivian State Bank and the Smith Lumber Co.
carried insurance, the exact amounts of which have not been ascertained.
            All the businesses effected by the fire with the exception of Frost & Co., will resume their business as soon as
they can conveniently do so. The Vivian State Bank has temporarily opened quarters in the G. W. White building. Mr.
McLaughlin, the barber who was located in McKimmie’s pool hall,  is again busy with tonsorial work in one of the small
buildings on Main Street.
            The work of reconstruction will begin shortly with the erection of a modern fire-proof building by the Vivian
State Bank people. There is good reason to believe that ere many months have passed a large building for mercantile
purposes will be built. Vivian has an extensive trade which necessitates the immediate reconstruction of many buildings
that were destroyed. And though, it is unfortunate that the loss falls heavily on several persons at this time, the com-
munity as a whole, will eventually profit to the extent of having a whole block of fire-proof and up-to-date buildings.
            Out of the ashes will arise a more magnificent Vivian.

 Local Legion Post a reality

 VIVIAN RATTLER: Feb. 3, 1922
            A charter has been applied for and granted by the State and National Headquarters for the Webster-Newman
Post, No. 157 of the Department of South Dakota. The following in the procedure of the first meeting of the ex-soldiers
and sailors of Vivian  and vicinity for the purpose of organizing a local Post of the American Legion. L.V. Newman elect-
ed temporary chairman.
            Committee named by the chairman to suggest a name for the said post. The committee could not agree as to
name of the  Post, so a vote was taken of all those present, and the name Webster- Newman was agreed on, in honor of
two former citizens of Vivian, Harry J. Webster and L. Newman, who lost their lives in the War of 1917- 1918. They
valued civilization and all that America stands for. They gave their lives to the cause of liberty and justice.
            The following officers were elected by ballot: Post Commander - C.J. Aisinbrey; Post Vice-Commander - H. B.
Holmes; Post Adjutant - L. V. Newman; Post Finance Officer - C .J. Gregary; Post Historian - C. J. Wilson; Post Chaplin -
C. T. Ross; Post Sergeant of Arms - P .H. Schlotterback.

 Vivian schools


First schoolhouse before addition. Miss Slinde, Teacher

The school closed  in the spring of 1978


Spelling Bee

 VIVIAN WAVE, March 22, 1907
            Two contestants from the Lawrence School, Blanche Gibson and Ethel Lawrence; three contestants from the
Sletto School, Alma Sletto, Donald Reeves, and Sander Sletto; five contestants from the Vivian School, Ruth Shoop,
Sadie Shoop, Olive Koon, and Harry Thompson met at the Vivian School and spelled for first and second place in the
district contest. The five best spellers were Ruth Shoop, Olive Koon, Sadie Shoop, and Harry Thompson. Ruth won first
place; Olive second place; they will represent the district at the county contest in Presho, April 13. Both winners were
from the Vivian school.

                                                                   Graduation class play

VIVIAN W AVE: June 2, 1916
            The graduating class of Vivian High School entertained the patrons of the school last Friday evening, to a class
play entitled, "Twenty Years Hence." Those graduating were: Signe Sletto, Frank Weaver, Dorothy McMeeken, and
Howard Morrissy. This was the first class graduated from Vivian High School.

 VIVIAN RATTLER: Feb. 3, 1922
Written by Myrtle Dunlap
          Vivian has always had a school. First there was only a one- room building moved in from the country, in which
only the grade subjects were taught. Some years later two rooms were added, built on the west, and the 9th and 10th
grade subjects were taught.
            On April 1, 1919, the voters of Vivian and Hope township held an election at which time it was decided to con-
solidate. In June of the same year, $35,000 worth of bonds were issued. Excavation began in the spring of 1920, but
progressed slowly throughout the summer. Not until the spring of 1921 was the work began in earnest on the building
itself, being completed in time for school to open in September.
           Consolidation stood a severe test in that it was tried out in the old building with a small addition built on to
accommodate  the extra pupils. In these four crowded and ill-heated rooms there was school for two years. The first year
there were only five teachers, but in the following year (1922) the intermediate grades were divided with a teacher for
every two grades.
            The bus routes were laid out the first year and have remained practically the same. The first year there was
one motor bus, the rest either privately owned cars or teams.  In the fall of 1922 the students moved into the new build-
ing with a teaching force of six teachers under the supervision of Prof. Aisinbrey. Services offered were hot lunches, a
full four year H.S. course, a commercial course, the Vivian Rattler, the school paper, night school, basket ball, a liter-
ary society.
            Teachers in 1922:  C. J. Aisinbrey, Supt.; Bertha King, Prin. of High School;  Susanne Gilberts, Marie Nelson,
Signe Sletto. The School Board: E. C. Hall, president;  Joseph Mott, Secretary; H. B. Holmes, treasurer;  Anton Syvertson,
Ole Severson, L.E. Hosking, Samuel Coon.            
            The cost of the school house, $75.000. Used for the first time, the 1921-1922 school year. The building, 70x64 ft.  
three story building with brick edifice. Six busses. The total enrollment 110 children--28 high school. The first basket-
ball team was organized Oct. 1921. Under the supervision of Miss King, the girls organized, electing Hattie Shoop as
captain and Margaret King as secretary-treasurer.

No identification or date

The boys organized under the supervision of Prof. Aisinbrey, electing Clarence King as captain.
oys basketball, 1921-’22
  l-r: Ellis Shoop, Howard Morrisey, Lloyd Sletto,
Alfred Barnes, Ike Woodward, Maynard Stolley, Joe Hulce, E. Aisenberry


 The fire escape was added to the school building Oct. 1921. Warren, Jerry Bevans, Einor Sletto, George Stolley
and Lloyd Howder were one of the first basketball teams. The first cheerleaders were Pete Hilmoe, Paul Schlotterback,
Jack Goodwin, and Joe St. Onge. When the home team would make a basket these lovelies would form a huddle, (there
was always one of them deep in the middle). They would chant, "Eat tobacco; chew tobacco; drink bay rum, Vivian's ball
team makes things hum!"  Now to explain the guy in the middle; he would be tipping a bottle up. Of course, they took
turns being in the middle.
            According to the Vivian Rattler, the first Christmas program was held in the building in 1921, to what is believ-
ed to be the biggest crowd ever assembled in Vivian. The large auditorium was gaily decorated in streamers of red and
green. Near the stage stood a finely decorated Christmas tree, brilliantly lit with many candles. The program included:
Fairy Dance - Primary Girls; Recitation: "Santa Claus and the Mouse". Lucille Authier; Recitation: "A Wish" Fern Heath;
Essay: "Origin of Christmas Customs". Myrtle Dunlap; Pantomine: "Slient Night" June Stolley, Hattie Shoop, Myrtle
Dunlap, Lois Casey and Clara Hulce; Recitation: "Possibilitt." Willjam Stolley; .Recitation: "Waiting for-the 26th" .:.
Chester Dunlap; Vocal solo: "Merry Christmas To All and To All A Good-night", Lois Casey.

Hot lunches

VIVIAN RATTLER: Oct. 15, 1921
            The idea of hot lunches is to accommodate the children who have to make the drives in cold weather and who
often times find their lunches frozen.  One hot dish-- such as cocoa or soup, or some such dish. The cost of lunch would
cost the parents about 4 or 5 cents per day for each child, or, if the parent would rather bring milk or vegetables full
credit would be given at current market prices for whatever they bring. It was planned to buy an oil stove and have
the Senior girls do the cooking during the last period every morning. The general supervision would be under the
direction of Miss King and Miss Sletto.
           The question of the stove was solved in that Mrs. W. Stolley donated the use of her three-burner kerosene stove.
So, on Monday, Dec. 5, the first hot lunch was served. The menu for the first week:  Monday---cocoa; Tuesday---soup;
Wednesday—baked  potatoes; Thursday-.-tomato soup and cocoa;  Friday.--corn or peas. Thirty-six students took advan-
tage of a hot dish with their usual cold lunch brought from home.

School enrollment, 1921

VIVIAN RATTLER: Nov. 1, 1921
            Seniors (class of '22)
President: Ruth Dunlap; V. President: Lois Hosking; Sec. / Treas.: Hattie Shoop; Class
Historian: Lois Hosking; Class Reporter: Hattie Shoop; Class motto: Pas a Pas ("Step by step"); Class colors: Old rose
and silver;
            Juniors: (class of 23)
  President: Clarence King; V. President: Genivieve Mott; Sec. / Treas.: Winnifred Boal;
Class Reporter: Eva Hibma; Class Historian: June Stolley; Class motto: "Rowing, not drifting"; Class colors: gold and
cardinal ; Class flower: Red rose.
            Sophomores: (class of 24)
President: Elaine Jewitt; V. President: Roy McCormick; Sec. / Treas.: Margaret King;
Class Reporter: Charles Rathcke; Class Historian: Grace Dunlap; Class motto: En Avant ("Forward"); Class colors:
Purple and white.
            Freshmen: (class of 25)
  President: May Barnes; V. President: Melvin Myers; Sec. / Treas.: Evelyn Hosking;
Class Reporter: Lois Casey; Class Historian: Fred Bevans; Class motto: "Either find a path or make one." Class colors:
orange and black

 The Vivian High School closed

After 26 years of serving the Vivian community, the school had to begin to accept the changes brought on by a
decrease in the school's decreased enrollment. The Vivian High School closed in 1970 --our students enrolling in the
newly founded County  High School, located in Presho.
            Classes, first grade through the eighth grade,  were continued in the Vivian school, until 1972, at which time
the 7th and 8th grades were moved to the junior high division at Kennebec. Grades 1-6 continued to be held in Vivian
with three teachers. Through the 1977-78 school term, grades 2-5 were held, with two teachers and one tutor.
            The school closed permanently in the spring of 1978.
            In December, 1979, the school building was sold at public auction for $375 to Mrs. Leroy Authier, of Vivian. By
1980 there was nothing left on the hill but a skeleton wall of the lower hall, which once welcomed the students to enter
and be graduates. Through these halls those graduates walked out into the world to pursue notable and successful
careers and professions.

                                            Vivian's 50th Anniversary, 1956

                                                        By E. C. Hall

            The town of Vivian was named after the wife of one of the Milwaukee Railroad officials of that time. Vivian as
we know it did not exist in the spring of 1906, when the railroad extended their line from Presho to Murdo, the latter
being in Lyman county at that time. However there was a group of business houses down on the flat west of the present
town, owned and operated by ranchers and homesteaders, who drove or rode horseback to and from work. These people
were all waiting for the lot sale so they could secure lots on Main Street and move their places of business up there.
            The first building to be erected on the flat was a hotel and restaurant, built and operated by S.D. McLarnan who
was the owner of the ranch now owned by Herb Smith. He hauled all the lumber for this and other buildings, from
Presho by team, during the winter months of 1905-and 1906. He also built a livery barn on his ranch, close to his hotel,
which was operated by Dave Weaver, a homesteader. In addition to the above, he built a blacksmith shop a necessity
in those days. This was operated by Rube Ward, who homesteaded the place where Guy Ham lived and which is now
owned by Joe St Onge.
            E. K. Sletto, prominent rancher and owner of the present Ray Heston farm,  built a large department store and
did a big business with the homesteaders. He also handled machinery which was under the management of Oscar
Lintvedt, a young rancher living in what is now Jones County. They did a tremendous business in mowers during the
next two years.
            A. C. Whitbaeck, a banker from Chamberlain, built and operated the first bank in Vivian, which was under the
management of Art Walker, our first banker,  who is now living near Los Angeles, Calif.
            In the year 1906 there were no houses or residences in Vivian as all of the business men and employees had
ranches and homesteads where they resided. They usually had a cot, in their place of business where they occasionally
slept, or stayed at the hotel. The town of Vivian was platted in 1906 and the plat was filed on June 29, 1906, and com-
prised six blocks, consisting of the block on which the Community Hall is located, and two blocks west, and three blocks
to the south.  
            The first lot sale was completed in July, 1906. Lot 11 block 2 sold to Joseph Moore, a rancher east of town who
operated the Moore store and post office, also a large stage depot. He moved the store and post office building immed-
iately from the ranch, which was under the management of his daughter, Annabelle, who was Vivian's first post
mistress. She married Art Walker, our first banker. This building is now occupied by the Goodwin Hardware and it
was probably the first building on Main Street, and the first store to be operated on Main Street.
            Lots 5, 6 and 7 were purchased by E.K. Sletto, who moved his store to the new location. S.D. McLarnan bought
Lot 4, block 5 just north of the Sletto property and moved his hotel up there. The Smith Lumber Co. and the Anderson
Lumber Co. purchased their lots now occupied by the Hilton Lumber Yard. John Smith, a homesteader, was manager
of the Anderson Lumber Co., Edward Jostad managed the Smith Lumber Co.
            On August 9, 1906, F.W. Schenk bought lot 1 block 5, the corner lot north of the bank and erected a saloon which
was operated by A. E. Gwin and John McKinna. This was probably the second building erected on Main Street. The
same day A. C. Whitbeck purchased lot 16, block 6 and moved his bank to that location. Other places started and
operated on the east side of Main Street included a feed store, owned and operated by Anton Syvertsen and Claus
Sanders, ranchers who owned at that time the farm now owned by Maynard Stolley and Joe Hansler; a restaurant and
hotel operated by Ole Magestad; a real estate office owned by Charles Flint; a harness shop operated by William
Stolley; butcher shop owned by Carl Kettleson, a homesteader and Vivian's first butcher.
            The churches in 1906 were located in the country. The Lutheran church was located north of the Carl Lintvedt
home and was later moved to town. The Methodist church was located in Hope Township and the first minister was
Rev. Minty, who was homesteading close by. The church was later moved to town about 1911. In 1907 the first Catholic
church was erected on the same lots where the present church stands.
            Old-timers in 1906 include; Albert Anderson, Knut Knudtson, Alfred and Frank Zobrosky, Schervem Bros., Paul
Pitan, Emil Wilske, and a number of other ranchers on the White River. Jorgen and Peter Clausen, Joe Moore, Anton
Syvertsen, Clause Sanders, E. Hultman, Ole and Knut Sletto, Robert Saville, Zack Sutley, Billie Richards, Ole and
Lyder Vik, Randolph Devine, Peter Eckland, Lyder Underly, Jim Hay-wood,   R. P. Juhnke, M. Andrews who operated
a roadhouse near Vera, E.K. Sletto, Oscar and Carl Lint-vedt, Knut Selland, John Hultman, Knut Seth, Sr. and many
            The first addition to Vivian was platted a year or two later, and added several blocks to the east and to the
north of the original town.
            In the spring of 1907, several new business houses were erected, among them being the real estate office owned
by White and Parrick which is now occupied by the pool hall, a pool hall north of the hotel and operated by George Flint;
a furniture store built by D.G. Thomas (which is still standing being the building just north of the pool hall) a barber
shop located south of the Whitbeck Bank; a doctor's office in the same block, owned by Dr. Allison who was homesteading
near White River; a drug store, owned and operated by Carrie Sacker, a homesteader, which is now occupied by the bar;
a livery barn built east of the bar.
            By the summer of 1907,  work had started on several houses among them one being built by Joseph Morrissy
and now owned by Joe St. Onge; a house built by Edward Jostad, now owned by Lloyd May; a house built by Bernard
Jones, Vivian's first drayman and now owned by William Weller.
            Vivian's first school house was located about where Joe Hansler now lives. The first teacher was Mrs. Blanche
Lugi, who was homesteading west of town. Four of the pupils of the first school were Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Heath, Mrs.
Christine Larson, and Mrs. Grover Heath. The school house has been moved and was once occupied by Dr. Webster.
A new school house was erected in 1907 and was located where the Catholic parsonage now stands. The first teacher in
the new school was Miss lmelia Slinde.
            Most of the newcomers of 1905-06 and -07 were young men and women who came out here to get a piece of land
and grow up with the country. They had high hopes for the future because 1906 was a very wet year, and there was a
big crop of hay and grain. Corn, which was raised on breaking made as high as 25 to 30 bu. per acre without cultivation.
The fields were small, mostly five and ten acres for proving up.
             Naturally,  these young people thought they had struck it rich. But they were due for a sad awakening, when
the dry years came along. Many of the young homesteaders left as soon as they had proved up, while others got married
and remained to farm, until many of them were forced to leave. However many of them who came during those years
stuck it out and some are still living here. Among them being Ole Rognsta, Mr. and Mrs. Ole Sletto, Mr. and Mrs. Carl
Lintvedt, Mrs. Oscar Lintvedt; Mr. and Mrs. George Williams, William Stolley, Tom Fagsland, Mr. and Mrs. Frank
Kennedy, Roy Kennedy, Mr. and Mrs. Olaf Erikson, Mr. and Mrs. Hosking, Mrs. Maude Haywood, Mrs. E. Harlan, Mrs.
Frank Heath, Mrs. Knut Selland, Mrs. Carl Kettlesen, Mrs. Bertha Bower, Mr. and Mrs. Gover Heath, Mr. and Mrs.
Ray Heston, Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Prahl, Mr. and Mrs. Severson, Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Hall and Andy Holsinger, who is
probably the only homesteader in this vicinity who still lives on his original homstead.
            Former homesteaders leaving here during that period and now residing elsewhere include Mr. and Mrs. Olaf
Burull, Chamberlain, Mrs. Nellie Gorman, Miller, Mrs. Verna Jewitt, Rapid City, Mrs. Anna Kelly, Barboo, Wisc,, 
James McWhirter, Belle Fourche, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Thorson, Draper, Mrs. John Moore,  State of Washington, Mrs.
Owen Murphy, Kennebec,  Mrs. Imelia Green, Prairie du Chien, Wisc., Mr. and Mrs. Hans Henrickson, Pierre, Mrs.
Allison Myers, Rapid City, Mr. and Mrs. Coon, Rapid City and Mrs. Earl Shirk, Hot Springs. Information of others is
not available.
            Many of the children of the homesteaders of that period are now living and have children and grandchildren,
and they, together with those families that moved in after the homesteading days were over, have prospered financially
and have developed this country into a good farming and stock-raising community. Wonderful progress has been made
when one considers that in 1906 there was little fencing, no improved roads, 10 by 12 shacks to live in, no electricity,
no inside plumbing, or no main street especially in the spring.
            There was very little farming except in patches, on each homestead. All of these old homesteaders, their
children, and others who came later deserve a lot of credit for sticking to the country and building into a prosperous
community. E.C. Hall, May 24,1956  

Read the Hall Family History  here




    Created with Microsoft FrontPage

This website Copyright © 1996-2008  by barbara stallman-speck   
All Rights Reserved

This page last revised Tuesday March 25, 2008 12:05 AM