Lyman County, South Dakota  Genealogy



by John Francis Hall

Part 1.  Before  coming to Lyman County


      My great-aunt Sadie did the original research for this genealogy.  She was the daughter of my great grandfather, Zebulon Hall, and sister to my grandfather, Francis (Frank) Montgomery Hall.  My father, E. C. Hall, worked on it over the years and finished his work on Sept. 1, 1964. It is amazing that my dad had a direct witness through his Grandfather Zebulon back to the French and Indian war and the American Revolution.   Zebulon must have spent a lot of quality time with his Grandfather Gershom, who was in the militia along with his father Jabez and three brothers.    I donít know of any thing that was written down.  

     My brother Edgar Hall has done extensive research on the Hall and Slinde lines.  My fatherís mother was Syneva (Susie) Slinde.   This research has been incorporated into this text. 

          1-Gilbert Hall was born in Kent County, England, southeast of London.   He stayed in England. 

                    2-Francis Hall was the son of Gilbert and was born in Kent County, England in 1608.  He came from Milford, Surry County, England, which is south of London.    His brother, William, son Isaac and wife Elizabeth accompanied him.  William settled in Guilford Connecticut.  They were members of the Rev. Henry Whitfield Company, which was composed of professional and businessmen.   They came to New Haven colony Connecticut, about June 4, 1639 and helped found Milford.  Francis was a member of a party that established Fairfield Connecticut, which is situated near Long Island Sound west of New Haven and Bridgeport, Connecticut.  Francis was a Deputy to the general court (assembly) from Stratford in May 1661, May 1676, October 1677, October 1678 and October 1679, May and October 1680 May 1687. ("Genealogical Notes 1st Settlers on Connecticut & Massachusetts, by Goodwin pg. 191, (descendants of Henry Smith)

  He died in Stratford, which is located east of Fairview and Bridgeport Connecticut in 1690 at the age of 82 years.  His wife Elizabeth had died in 1662.  He then married Dorothy daughter of Rev. Henry Smith, who was a widow of John Blackman when she married Francis in October 1665.  They had no children.  Francis and Elizabeth had six children: Isaac, Mary, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Hannah, and Samuel.

             3-Dr. Isaac Hall was the son of Francis and was born in Kent County, England in 1630.  He died in 1711and is buried in Fairfield, Connecticut.   He was a physician and surgeon in the wars of his time and received a grant of 150 acres of land from the government in Fairfield Township in payment for his services.  He married Lydia, daughter of Nicholas Knap of Fairfield, about January 16, and 1666 or Ď67.  She died March 5, 1716.  Isaac and Lydia had twelve children: Isaac, Sarah, Lydia, Elizabeth, Samuel, Francis, John (died after a few hours), John, Mary, Abigail, Jonathan, and Hannah. 

            4- John Hall was the son of Isaac and was born in Fairfield, Connecticut on January 3, 1679. Died at Stratfield, Fairfield County, Connecticut in 1749.  Fought in Colonial Wars, and held many important positions.  He married Abigail Summers.  She died after May 1749.  Eight children: Zachariah, Abiah, Elnathan, David, Abigail, John, Jabez, and Gersham

            5-Cpt. Jabez Hall was the son of John Hall and was born in Fairfield, Connecticut in about 1720.   He died in 1780.  He fought in the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution.  He was a Lt. of Militia during the French and Indian War and was promoted to Captain of Militia (minuteman) during the American Revolution.  He took part in the battle of Ticonderoga, and his son Gershom also took part.  He was a Representative from 1764 to 1765.  He married Hannah Lyon, daughter of John Lyon.  She died about January 8, 1807 and is buried in Lanesborough, Massachusetts.  
           In the Congregational Church records of New Fairfield Co. Connecticut of July 1763, Deacon Jabez Hall was mentioned.  Other records show that Jabez lived in Stratfield, in 1746, in Greenfield, in 1748, and New Fairfield, in 1752 and 1753 all in Fairfield County, Connecticut.   (The source for these dates is History and Genealogy of Families of Old Fairfield, by Donald Lines Jacobus page 598 vol. 2.)
 December 2, 1768, he purchased land at Lanesborough, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts and moved there with his family (deed book A page 315).  June 1, 1770 he purchased more land in Berkshire Co. (deed book 8 page 53).  There is a fountain erected in his honor in Cheshire, MA.  Jabez and Keziali had ten children: Gershom, Rhoda, John, Abigail, Hannah, Lydia, Lyman, Calvin, Ezra, and Elizabeth).
He was a Lt. of militia during the French and Indian War and was promoted to Captain of Militia (minuteman) during the American Revolution.  He took part in the battle of Ticonderoga, and his son Gershom also took part.  He was a Representative from 1764 to 1765.  He married Hannah Lyon, daughter of John Lyon.  She died about January 8, 1807 and is buried in Lanesborough, Massachusetts. In the Congregational Church records of New Fairfield Co. Connecticut of July 1763 Deacon Jabez Hall was mentioned.  Other records show that Jabez lived in Stratfield, in 1746, in Greenfield, in 1748, and New Fairfield, in 1752 and 1753 all in Fairfield County, Connecticut.   (The source for these dates is History and Genealogy of Families of Old Fairfield, by Donald Lines Jacobus page 598 vol. 2.)

            6-Gershom Hall was the son of Jabez and was born in Connecticut Jan 20, 1744.  He fought in the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution.  He was a member of the Militia and was a minuteman. He took part in the battle of Ticonderoga with his father and probably his brothers John, Lyman, and Calvin who would have been about 24, 21 and 18 years old.  (According to Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, 17 Vols.  
Gershom and his brother Calvin enlisted as a private in Capt. David Wheelerís Co., Col. J Brownís detachment of militia; enlisted June 30, 1777; discharged July 25, 1777; 26 days service; mileage (80 miles) home allowed; Company stationed at Fort Ann. Roll sworn to at Lanesborough.
This would have been to answer British General Burgoyneís advance into the states by the way of Lake Champaign from Montreal, Canada.  This all ended with the British surrendering after the Battle of Saratoga on October 17, 1777.  No records have been found that Gershom, his brothers, or father Jabez were involved in the final battle.  It is hard to believe they were not involved, because Saratoga, New York is about 50 miles from Lanesborough, Massachusetts and every man was needed.   According to the Achieving Early America web site, ďBritainís loss at Saratoga proved disastrous, in that it signaled to the Europeans powers that the rebels were capable of defeating the English on their own.Ē 
            There is one more recorded enlistment found for Gershom. According to Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, 17 Vols. Page 80 Hall Gershom, private, Capt. Nathaniel Freemanís Co., Lieut. Col Enoch Halletís Barnstable Company Enlisted Sept. 1, 1780; discharged Oct. 31 1780; service, 2 mos. 4 days, including 4 days (75 miles) company was raised to reinforce Continental Army for three months.
            We can speculate that Gershom as well as his father Jabez and his brothers may have been called up a number of times during the war.  My brother Edgar C. Hall has found records that Gershomís brothers Calvin, Lyman, and John were called Minuteman and received a pension after the war for two years plus years of service in the Militia.   (See page 36, & 38 for Johnís Revolutionary war service.  Page 37 for Budís Hallís (Edgarís) letter.   
            Gershom was a farmer by occupation.  On June 1, 1770 he purchased land in Berkshire Co. Massachusetts.
 (Deed book 8 page 53)  His first marriage was to Sarah about 1767or 68. They had two children, Sarah and Nanah. Sarah died in 1776.
            He married Keziali Atwood Gibbs, daughter of Atwood Gibbs in Lanesborough, Mass. in 1778.  Atwood and
her grandfather, Abraham Gibbs, came to Boston, Massachusetts from Scotland in the early 1700ís.  Her father fought
in the revolution.   
             The 1790 Federal census stated, one Gershom Hall Lanesborough Berkshire Co MA Ė one male over 16, 5 males under 16, and 5 females.
            Gershom and Keziali moved west after the war and settled in New York.  May 16, 1792, Gershom purchased land at Charleston, Montgomery Co., New York (Deed book 8 page 53).  On May 19 1801 Gershom sold this land (Deed book 8 page 241), and in 1801 he bought land in lot 44 Marcellus Tws. Onondaga Co New York.   Lot 44 became part of Skaneateles when it was formed in Febuary, 1830.   In the 1830 census Gershom was living at Spafford , Onondaga Co. NY with a female in the 70ís presumable his wife Keziali. He was 86 years old.  Keziali died in Onondaga County, N.Y.
in 1831.  
            Gershom was on his way overland to Chicago Illinois with his grandson Zebulum when he became ill and died at the age of 93.  He was buried in Bellvue, Ohio, in 1837My brother Edgar Hall has not been able to locate Gershomís grave. Gershom and Keziali had three children: Loammi, Jabish, and Luther.  
            Note:  Lyman Hall, brother of Gershom  My brother, Edgar C Hall has discovered many interesting facts that have been incorporated into this text without notice.   The following is the result and example of his hard work.  He discovered that Lyman Hall, brother of Gershom has a number of newspapermen, journalists and radio broadcasters in his progeny.  His grandson Lyman Wolcott and his two sons, Halsey Roger Wing Hall and Harlan Page Hall were newsmen in Ohio and in Minneapolis and St Paul.  Halsey Roger Wing Hallís son was Smith Bagg Hall, editor and father of Halsey Lewis Hall a famous sports broadcaster who was well known for his expression ďHoly Cow.Ē  There is additional information in my brotherís Family Group Records. (Note by John F Hall.)

             7-Loammi Hall was the son of Gershom and was born in Lanesborough Massachusetts about 1790.  He died in Perry Center, New York, June 28, 1823 and is buried in prospect Hill Cemetery near Perry Center, Perry Township, Wyoming County, New York.   About May 16, 1792 he moved with his parents from Massachusetts to Charleston, Montgomery County, New York.   In 1801 they moved to Skaneateles Township south west of Syracuse, New York.   He married Sarah Deuel, daughter of Benjamin & Hanna Deuel, of Ballston Springs.   There is a lease dated 1 November 1815 where by Loammi Hall and his wife Sally leased land on shares from Gershom Hall and wife Keziali.  This was for property in Marcellus town Onondaga County, New York part of lot 44. They lived in Onondaga Co. until about 1818, when they moved west to Perry Center, New York.
           Loammi and Sarah had four children: Minerva, Jabish, Loammi, and Zebulon.  After Loammiís death at 33 the four children all under the age of twenty-one were given a legal guardian.   Luther Hall was appointed guardian according to the records researched by my brother, Edgar Hall. He was Loammiís brother.
          Sarah married again.  She died in Perry Center, NY. March 27, 1836 and is buried there.       (See page 39 for 1823 guarding document)
         8-Zebulon Montgomery Hall, was the son of Loammi and was born in Perry Center, Genesee Co., New York, Feb 14 1821.  He died in Chicago, Illinois, Sept 19, 1894 and is buried in Graceland Cemetery in Chicago.  He came to Chicago in 1837 0r 1838 overland by horse drawn transportation.  His Grandfather, Gershom Hall was with him but became ill on the way and died and is buried at Bellvue, Ohio.  My brother Edgar Hall hasnít been unable to locate Gershomís grave.
He settled in Chicago, and grew up with the city.  He was seventeen or eighteen years old at the time.  He held various jobs.  Based on selected Chicago directories researched by my brother Edgar C Hall, Zebulon worked as a clerk at a grain elevator from 1846 to 1847, as a clerk at Neely, Lawrence & Co. from 1848 to 1850.  In 1867 he was a dealer in teas at 259 and 261 Randolph. In 1868 he was a grocer and ships chandler at 259 Randolph.  In 1870 he had a grocery and naval store at 258 & 261 Randolph.  In 1880 he was vessel owner. In 1884 he was a travel agent.  He became interested in vessels and shipping on the Great Lakes between Chicago and Ogdensburg, N.Y.  Later he engaged in the wholesale grocery business until his retirement about 1882 or 1883.  His place of business was located on the Chicago River between Lake and Madison St.  His building was one of the few not destroyed by the great Chicago fire of early 1870ís.  His stock of merchandise was used to feed the needy people made homeless by the fire.  The building stood on the bank of the Chicago and the fireman saved it by pumping water on it from the river.  It stood for many years but has now been torn down and the space is used for a parking lot.  After the fire he resumed business, but never recovered financially from the loss he suffered, and about 1882 he sold out and retired.


Kessie Frost-Hall                     Zebulon Hall

         Zebulon married Kezzie Frost, daughter of Alfred and Adaline (Rosman) Frost, about December 1851 in a church on the corner of Grand Ave. and State St. Chicago, Illinois.  She was born in Ohio on April 13, 1832, and came to Chicago with her parents at an early age.  Her father was a steamboat captain.  She was educated in the public schools of Chicago, Illinois.  Her grandfather was Abram Rosman and her Grandmother was Rachel (Jones) Rosman.  Abram fought in the war of 1812 and Rachel was a cousin of John Paul Jones.  Kezzie died on January 13, 1903, and is buried in Graceland Cemetery, Chicago, Illinois.
            Zebulon and Kezzie had eight children:  Francis Montgomery, Edgar Albert, Edith Alice, Harry Victor, Sarah Beatrice, Willie, Bessie Eugenia, and Mary.              

      Susie Slinde-Hall          Francis "Frank" Hall

           9-Francis (Frank) Montgomery Hall, was the son of Zebulon and was born in Chicago, Illinois in Oct. 1852.  He was educated in the public schools of Chicago.  Not wishing to follow a business career he decided to study steam engineering and followed that trade until his death in November 1887.  He was second engineer on the steamship Vernon, a freighter, when it sank in a storm on Lake Michigan.  News accounts in the Milwaukee Sentinel, Oct. 31, Nov.2 and Nov. 3,1887, said the Vernon was on a run from Glen Haven, Michigan to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  The ship sank off the coast of Two Rivers, Wisconsin.   Some of the crew, including Frank, took refuge on a raft but due to exposure and high seas they were unable to hang on and all of them but one sailor, were washed into the Lake.  The man who survived brought home the story.    The Vernon was on its last trip of the season. They didnít recover the body of Francis (Frank).  His name is on the grave marker of his wife Susie in the Oak Ridge Cemetery, Hillside Illinois.  
             Frank married Syneva (Susie) H. Slinde on November 1, 1879. They made their home in Chicago. Her parents were farmers and came from Slinde Norway in 1849, and settled at Windsor about ten miles north of Madison, Wis., where she was born.  Hans Nielsen was born Nov. 26, 1815. He died in 1882.  His wife Brita died about 1852.  Both are buried in Norway Grove Cemetery, De Forest Wisconsin. 
            They had three children Nels, Sjur, and Syneva.  After Britaís death Hans married a second time to Gunhilda Nielsdaughter and had no children.  A third marriage to Anne Guldbranddsdatter resulted in three children Bessie (Brita), Iver and Ole.  Another child, most likely the first-born, was result of this union because she was given the name Gunhilda.  She was born July 1857, and married Elick Peterson March 21 1884.  Gunhilda died December 1884 in Westport Dane Co. Wisconsin.  Family history barely mentions her.  (It was the Norwegian custom for the first daughter to be named after a former wife and not after her mother.)  The second daughter was named after the first wife Brita (Bessie).  Later in life Hans married a fourth time.  Susieís brother Ole and his wife Carrie lived on a farm three miles east of Whalen, Minnesota, on the banks of the Root River.  Edgar C. M. Hall spent some wonderful summers there when he was growing up.   He mentioned that he fished with a cane pole in the Root River.  
            After the death of her husband Frank in 1887, Susie kept her family consisting of Edgar, Sarah (Sadie) and Walter who died of diphtheria at 5 years of age and is buried in Graceland Cemetery. She went into partnership with her sister, Bessie Slinde and operated a rooming and boarding house on La Salle Ave., Chicago, for several years.  She sold out in 1892 and obtained employment as a seamstress, which occupation she followed until the panic and depression of 1893 and 94 compelled her to seek other employment.   Undaunted, she worked as a cook in Humboldt College in Humboldt, Iowa in 1895 and Ď96.  The following year she to cooked at Jewell Lutheran College, Jewell, Iowa.  Her children (Edgar and Sadie) were with her and attended school in both places. 
            In June 1896 she returned to Chicago with her children and kept house for them until November 1904 when she went to Phoenix, Arizona for her health.   She remained there and at Albuquerque, New Mexico, until September 1905.  Then she went then to San Antonio, Texas to be with her children.  She died there on Dec. 1905.  She is buried in Oakridge Cemetery, Hillside, Illinois.  
            Francis and Susie had three children, Edgar Chamberlain Montgomery, Sadie B, and Walter.

Part 2:  Settling in Vivian, Lyman County, 1906



This website Copyright © 1996-2013  by barbara stallman-speck   
All Rights Reserved

    Created with Microsoft FrontPage