|Hutchinson County, South Dakota
was created in 1862 from the Dakota Territory; organized in 1871; named for John S. Hutchinson; consists of townships 97,98,99 and 100 north, of ranges 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 and 61 west 5th P. M., except portions of township 97, range 61, formerly within the Yankton-Sioux Indian Reservations and now in Charles Mix County. County seat, Olivet. First settlement was at Maxwell's Mill on the James River in 1870 by Maxwell Brothers. The county seat has remained at Olivet since organization despite several attempts to remove it to railroad towns. Area 522,880 acres.