History of Mitchell South Dakota

Additions or corrections to: Andrea Sindt ([email protected])

		City of Mitchell
	Andreas' "Historical Atlas of Dakota", 1884

	The commencement of Mitchell dates from May 5, 
1879, when a half-section of Government land was located 
by Gen. John D. Lawler, with soldiers' additional scrip 
on the surveyed line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. 
Paul Railway, in Davison Co. The original town was laid 
out in September following, and in October lots were
offered for sale upon contract, the purchasing parties 
agreeing to pay one-fourth the purchase money down, and 
guaranteeing the improvement of the lot and taking a bond 
for a deed; the remainder to be paid upon the completion 
of the railway to town.

	These last payments became due on the 1st of May 1880.
The buildings erected previous to the advent of the railway 
were either removed from the old trading-post, Firesteel, or 
constructed from material hauled in wagons from Marion 
Junction, 50 miles away. 

	During the winter of 1879, which was mild and 
comparatively free from storms and deep snows, building 
continued active, considering the difficulties to be 
overcome. From the day when it became apparent that Mitchell 
would become a prominent place on a great line of railway, 
it became at once the objective point for land seekers, and 
this fact was duly recognized by the General Government 
when, in October 1880 a United States land office was 
established here. The district includes the counties of
Davison, Moody, Miner, Lake, Aurora, Buffalo, Brule, 
Hanson, McCook & Minnehaha.

	The following table shows the number of acres taken 
at the Mitchell Land Office between January 3 and 
November 29, 1882:
   Number of Homesteads taken.....................6,155
   Number of acres taken as homesteads...........984,800
   Number of Homestead final proofs..................331
   Number of acres covered by Homestead proofs.....52,960
   Number of Pre-emptions taken.....................4,042
   Number of acres pre-empted.....................646,620
   Number of Timber Culture entried.......  .........3,315
   Number of acres covered by Timber Culture entries..530,400
   Number of Timber Culture final proofs...............15
   Number of Soldiers; Declaratives..................2,335
   Number of Military Bounty Land Warrents located .....14
   Number of cash entries.............................2,550
   Number of acres entered by cash...................408,000

	Following are a few interesting items relating to the 
early days of Mitchell, which have been gathered from various 
On the 16th of September, 1879, John Walsh moved a 12 by 16 
frame building from Firesteel to Mitchell, and placed it 
on the lot south of where the First National Bank building 
now stands.  It was occupied during the winter of 1879-80 
as a post-office, and also accommodated the "Capital," the 
first paper published in the place. On the 21st of the same 
month, M. F. Dunham moved the second building from Firesteel,
and set it on the southeast corner of Second and Lawler 
streets, where it was occupied as a dwelling. In the same 
month Messrs. Wells and Oswald and Mr. S. F. Goodykoontz 
commenced bringing lumber by team from Marion Junction, 
and in October began building, the former on lot 9, in block 
13, of the original town, and the latter on lots 10 and 11, 
in the same block.  About the same date O. R. Betts erected a
small frame building on lot 12, block 8, in which he opened 
a hardware store, and probably sold the first goods in 
Mitchell. M. F. Dunham also hauled a building over for 
W. Abbey, and located it on lot 7 block 18, where it was 
occupied as a boarding house by A. P. Pilger.  About the 
same time J. Davy put up a building on lot 19, block 19, 
which was used for a saloon, and known as the "Chalkstone Saloon."

In October, John Lowell moved his building over from Firesteel, 
and placed it where the Gleason House afterward stood, and of 
which it bacame a part. In the same month W.Wells erected a 
hotel where the Sanborn House now stands, and named it the 
Wells House.

The growth of the city since 1880 has been like that of many 
other towns in Dakota, rapid and phenomenal. In March of the 
last mentioned year, a single square of frontage would 
include all the business building of the place. 

The year 1882 witnessed a wonderful boom in the growth and 
improvement of the town. Among the fine business structures 
erected were the bank of Ormsby, Clute & Co., the First 
National bank block, the Letcher block and the bank of 
Mitchell. During the year the aggregate value of building 
improvements reached the respectable sum of $500,000.

The year 1883 witnessed a still greater expansion and outlay.
During the season twentyfive business blocks and 200 
residences were built, and the aggregate outlay reached 
an immence sum. The mercantile business of the city for 
1883 amounted to more than $1,000.000.

The prosperity of Mitchell is owing largely to railway influences, 
it being the crossing point of the two lines of the Chicago, 
Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, giving it a central location
and making it a fine marketing point for a large region of 
productive country. The location of a district land office 
has also conduced largely to its growth and business, and 
its situation in the heart of the James River Valley contitutes 
another important factor in its circle of advantages as a 
business point.  The cosmopolitan character of its people, 
coming as they do from all parts of the American Union, is 
still another reason for its energetic continued advance in 
wealth and population.

Valuable building materials abound in the vicinity, including 
the white chalk-stone of the Missouri Valley, a reddish 
variety of sand-stone, and the famous Sioux Falls quartzite.

Copyrighted 2002 for Davison county South Dakota by: Davison County Genealogical Society.

Return to Davison Co. Home Page