History of Hotels and Banks and the town of Mt Vernon, in Davison county.

Additions or corrections to: Andrea Sindt ([email protected])

			Davison County SD; 
	A. T. Andreas; "Historical Atlas of Dakota", 1884

	HOTELS -- Mitchell is noted for its fine hotels, 
there being three which compare most favorably with the 
best in the Territory, to wit, the Alexander Mitchell
House, the Sanborn House and the Bradley House. Besides 
these there is a considerable number of less important 
but well conducted and popular places of resort. The 
Mitchell House, named in honor of Hon. Alexander Mitchell, 
of Milwaukee, is one of the largest, most complete and 
best known hotels in Southern Dakota.  It was erected in 
1881, by Colonel J. L. Davenport, a well known hotel man, 
at a cost, complete, of $30,000.  It is three stories in 
height, with a mansard roof, situated on the corner of 
Main and Third streets, and one of the most prominent 
structures in the city.  The main building has a frontage 
of 118 by 92 feet.  The rooms are all comfortable, well 
lighted and ventilated, with lofty ceilings, and furnished 
in the best manner.  The dining-room is claimed to be the 
largest in Dakota, with a capacity for seating 350 guests. 
Every department of this fine hostelry is carefully managed, 
and the determination of the proprietor is at all times to 
make it emphatically a comfortable home for the public.
It is an honor to the city of Mitchell and the gentleman who 
manages it.
	The Sanborn House, one of the finest in Dakota, was 
commenced on the 15th of June, 1880, by Mr. J. V. Hamilton.  
The first proprietor was Mr. Wells, The property has changed 
hands a number of times. In November, 1882, the present 
proprietor,E.F. Bond, purchased the property, already known 
as the Sanborn House, and has since conducted it. The building 
is 60 by 65 feet in dimensions, and two stories in height.The 
location is a good one, convenient to business and to the railway 
station.  It is finely fitted up and furnished and kept in a 
manner to make it a popular house. It has accommodation for about
100 guests.
	The Bradley House, is another prominent and exceedingly 
popular hotel, P. G. Somers proprietor. Mr. Somers settled in 
Mitchell in May 1883.  He had been a resident of Chicago, 
where for some years he was connected in an official capacity 
with a large rolling mill. For a time succeeding his arrival 
he was connected with the Alexander Mitchell House, 
contributing in an important degree to its popularity with 
the traveling public. Subsequently he opened a restaurant 
which he conducted until he leased the Bradley House, in 
October 1883.  Upon taking possession, he thoroughly
renovated and refitted the house, and has from that time 
conducted it in such manner as to win a wide popularity.
	The house is well located on Main street, convenient 
to the railway station and the business center. The main 
building is 60 by 30 feet in dimensions, with a large addition
the whole affording ample accomodations for the traveling
public. Further improvements are contemplated.
	The Commercial House, a pleasant, home-like hotel, with 
accomodations for thirty or forty guests, is well located on 
First street. It is a well kept and popular resort, Mrs. A.E. 
Breese, proprietor. Other prominent hotels are the American, 
Gleason and Germania, and there is a large number of well 
appointed restaurants and boarding houses. Probably no town 
in Southern Dakota has better accomodations for the traveling public.
	BANKS-- The pioneer bank of Davison County was 
established at Mitchell in the spring of 1880 by Mr. S. F. 
Goodykoontz, under the title of the Mitchell Exchange Bank.
This institution was carried on as a private banking-house 
by Mr. Goodykoontz until April 1882, when it was merged 
into the First National Bank, incorporated in that month.
The officers of this bank were S. F. Goodykoontz, president; 
Capt. J. D. Feegan, Vice-president; J. F. Kimball, cashier; 
J. H. Green and P. T. Mcgovern.  In the autumn of 1883 the 
bank passed under a different management; Mr. G. retiring 
from the presidency to take the same position at the head of the
Bank of Dakota.
	The new management of the First National was composed 
of Gen. J.D. Lawler, president; Mr. H. Rowley, vice-president; 
J. F. Kimball, cashier. This institution has a paid-up capital
of $50,000, with total resources, according to last published 
statement, of over $200,000. Its business has been ably managed 
and has steadily increased from the beginning, and its reputation 
is solidly established as a reliable and well-conducted financial
	The First National Bank wons and partly occupies the best 
business block in the city. It is constructed of white 
chalkstone, with trimmings of red brick. It is two stories 
in height and of imposing dimensions. The position occupied 
by the bank is on the corner of Main and Second streets, 
and forms a conspicuous object among the fine buildings of the city.
	The banking-house of Ormsby, Clute & Co. was established 
in Mitchell in September 1882, constituting one of three 
similar institutions located at Emmettsburg, Iowa, and at Huron 
and Mitchell, Dakota Territory.
	The original institution in Iowa is conducted under the 
firm name of Ormsby Bros. & Co.,and at Huron, under the name 
of Ormsby, Graves & Co.  The three institutions have 
established reputations and are doing an extensive and 
profitable business in each of the locations. At Mitchell 
the house has erected on the corner of Third and Main 
streets a fine and substantial two-story brick banking-house 
finely finished and conveniently fitted up. In addition to a 
legitimate banking business in all its branches, the firm is 
extensively engaged in loaning money on real estate, principally 
good farms; in fact, this may be called the prominent feature 
of the business.  Their transactions cover a wide expanse of 
country extending over Northwestern Iowa, Southwestern 
Minnesota, and Southern Dakota. Since the establishment of 
the home office at Emmettsburg their aggregate investments in 
this direction considerable exceed three million dollars. 
It is probable that no firm in Dakota and few in the Northwest, 
have placed more loans on farm property since the opening of 
their business in Dakota. The gentlemen composing the firm 
are prompt and accommodating. Mr. F. A. Huggins is the resident
manager at Mitchell.
	The Bank of Dakota was originally established by 
Mr. I. J. Gray, in December 1882. It has been re-organized 
within the past year, and officered as follows: S.F. 
Goodykoontz, President;J. H. Green, cashier. The institution 
occupies a fine building of its own, in an eligible location
on Main street, and is doing a large and increasing business 
in banking and real estate, loans, exchange, etc. It is one of
the solid institutions of the city.
	The Bank of Mitchell was established as a private banking 
house in November 1881, for the purpose of doing general banking 
and real estate loan business, with Elijah Butterfield as 
president, and W. C. Metcalf as cashier. The principal member 
of the firm, Mr. Butterfield, is a wealthy resident of 
Milwaukee. Mr. Metcalf is a resident of Mitchell, and also 
a wealthy gentleman who has held several responsible official positions 
in Davison county.
	In 1882 the bank was re-organized under the laws of the 
Territory as the Bank of Mitchell,with a capital of $25,000, 
and a surplus of $10,000.  It has from the first been considered 
one of the soundest institutions in Dakota. The firm also has 
a similar establishment at White Lake, in Aurora County, Dakota, 
under the management of Mr. H. Huyssen. The Bank of Mitchell is 
well located in the business portion of the city, occupying a 
fine two-story building, constructed of red brick, with a heavy 
plate-glass front.  The interior is conveniently arranged and
handsomely fitted up.

			Davison County, SD; 
	A. T. Andreas' "Historical Atlas of Dakota', 1884
	MOUNT VERNON,-- The following statements concerning 
the early settlement of this place and vicinity were furnished 
by C. H. Arland, Esq., an early settler and prominent citizen.  
Mr. Arland first visited this region on the 20th of Sept,
1879, when he located on Section 22, Town 103, Range 62.  
He found, on his arrival, H. S. Edwards and family living 
on Section 10 of the same town, having settled in May previous
and the Johnston brothers on Section 4, who also came in 
May, 1879. These were the only inhabitants for many miles around.
Mitchell was just coming into existence.

	The grade stakes of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul 
Railway were set in this country in March 1880, and in July 
following, Mr. Arland relinquished his right to the north 
half of the southwest quarter of Section 22, Twon 103, 
Range 62,to the railway company which entered the tract 
with scrip.  H. C. Burgess also made the same arrangement 
with the south half of the same quarter section. The railway 
was completed to this point in September 1880, and in December 
1881 the company laid out the original town on the land described.

	The place grew rapidly during the season of 1881. From 
a point one and a half miles west of the town, in Ausust of 
that year, Mr. Arland counted sixty buildings including sod 
shanties.  Within a radius of five miles around Mount Vernon, 
in the winter of 1880-81 were living H. S. Edwards, W. R.
Miller, P. T. Gibson, F. B. Rowell, the three Johnston 
brothers, M. Doherty, T. Gilleran, George Lewis, Dr. Abbott,
Anton Meyer and D. McLatchie.

	A post-office called Arlandton was established in January 
1881, and Mr. Arland appointed postmaster. In the spring of 
1882 Mr. Arland and E. S. Johnston purchased the town site 
from the railway company, and soon after the former sold 
his interest to J. C. Tatman. In April 1882, he commenced 
the erection of the Mt.Vernon House, and a little later Messrs. 
Johnston & Tatman put up a large frame store building. W. S. 
Tobey also erected a building for a general store. The 
pioneer store was erected by Mr. L. George a little west of 
the present town, in the fall of 1881. In May, 1882 he 
removed it to the new town site.  The Davison County bank 
building was commenced in the fall of 1882, by C. Tatman, 
and completed by him in the Spring of 1883.

	The Methodist Episcopal denomination erected a church 
edifice in the fall of 1883,and a fine school building was 
put up in the same year at a cost of $3,500. It has a seating 
capacity of 100.

	The town boasts a lively newspaper, the "Gazette," established 
by John M. Pease, first issued June 29, 1882. It is a six-column 
quarto, and has an extensive circulation in both Davison and 
Aurora counties.

	ROME, EMSLEY, VICTOR and CHANKA are small post-offices 
in different parts of the county.

	The town is improving quite rapidly, and contains at the 
present time about 500 people.

Copyrighted 2002 for Davison county South Dakota by: Davison County Genealogical Society.

Return to Davison Co. Home Page