NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be
reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any
other organization or persons. Persons or organizations
desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent
from Sandra McLellan. Files may be printed or copied for
personal use only.
These records were contributed by Madeleine Slater. [email protected]. Thanks Madeleine!
Information provided by Tim Matley, Toponymist
From: Places in Ontario; Their Name Origins and History" (Part III, N-Z),
compiled by Nick and Helma Mika, published in 1983 by Mika Publishing Company,
Belleville, Ontario. Pages 403-404.
The community of Skipness, in Amabel Township, Bruce County, Ontario, was
named by Donald Reid, one of the first settlers of the area, after the
place in Scotland of the same name. Among the pioneers who purchased land
in this area just west of Park Head in the 1860's, was a Mr. Conaway. He
sold his farm to Christopher Tupling who, in turn, sold it in 1870 to James
Davidson. Other early settlers were Malcolm MacDonald, Henry Elliott,
Andrew McBeth, William Temple, Thomas George, David Porter and Joseph Chambers. David Porter built the first sawmill at Skipness. It was run by
water power from a streamin Mud Lake (Marysville Lake). A post office was
opened about 1872 with Donald Reid as postmaster. A church, used for some
time by both Methodists and Presbyterians, was built in 1884. After church
union in 1925 it was closed, but later re-opened by the Presbyterians who
used it until the 1930's.
Back to Skipness Parish Table of Contents
Copyright 1999 by Sandra McLellan