Columbia Local Defense Regiment
The Columbia Local Defense Regiment of South Carolina State Troops was organized and elected Officers on 27 June 1864:
Sloan, John Bales Earle, Colonel, born 1829 and died 1906, previously commanded the 4th Infantry before it was disbanded in 1862. Resigned 13 July 1864
Radcliffe, T. M., Lieutenant Colonel. Resigned August 1864
Sharp, Thomas R., Major. Resigned 30 July 1864
After above resignations, a new election was held:
Thomas, John Peyre, Captain, commandant at The Arsenal, Columbia, SC was promoted to the rank of Colonel.
There are 10 Known Components:
Company 1 - Captain C. C. McPhail - operatives at the Arsenal
Company 2 - Captain B. F. Evans - operatives at Evans and Cogswell Co. and at Stebbins and Bayne and Co.
Company 3 - Captain John Judge - operatives at John Judge and Co. and Kraft, Goldsmith and Kraft
Company 4 - Captain J. J. Chisolm - operatives etc at the Quartermaster, Commissary and Medical Departments, Central Bureau, and C. F. Jackson's
Company 5 - Captain S. G. Jamison - operatives at S. G. Jamison. William Giese, and Grant and Valory
Company 6 - Captain L. F. Robertson - operatives at W. Y. Leitch, the Banks, Depository, Post Office, Naval Powder Mills, Henry Hunt, Deputy Marshal.
Company 7 - Captain W. B. Smith - operatives at S. C. Railroad Co. and workshops
Company 8 - Captain Thomas R. Sharp - operatives at Charlotte and S. C. Railroad Co.
Company 9 - Captain Edward A. Keatinge - operatives at Keatinge and Bull and John Alexander. "The Ball Guard
Company 10 - Captain J. B. LaSalle - *probably* operatives at the S.C. Railroad
This unit was raised in Columbia in June 1864 and consisted of those whose work in the factory was considered more valuable to the defense of the State than deployment into the field. A report from Chestnut indicates that total strength was approximately 800. The regiment was also called the "First Regiment of Detailed Men" and was raised for the defense and protection of Columbia. No roster appears to exist and it is unclear who served exactly when.
The only indication that I have found for any service is that they appear to have left Columbia and made it to Cheraw. There is a unit there "of old men unable for the rigors of the march" who turned their weapons over to the Boy troops from The Arsenal. Whether this unit was from Columbia or not is hard to say but its location makes it likely.
Researched by W.A. "Bil" Brasington