Greenville County, S.C. GenWeb

Some of Greenville County's history remembered.
Click on the icons for a larger view.

Your old photos of Greenville County's past are welcome additions to this page.

Click here to view some old Postcards from Greenville County, South Carolina

Chick Springs. The old spring house is about all that's left to identify one of the most historic sections in Greenville County.
The history of the mineral springs dates back in Cherokee folklore before white settlers came into the area.

Chick Springs Hotel. Early in her history Greenville was known as a resort community. From the 1840s to 1900s Chick Springs, eight miles from Greenville Court House, was the site of resort hotels.

Altamont Hotel, Paris Mountain.


 Odd Fellows Orphans Home. The two residential buildings of the old Odd Fellows Orphans Home (as it says on the sign in the photo) as it existed about 1926, shortly before it closed after 20-some-odd years in the "orphan business."
The house on the right was originally built by the Carpan family, who came from France to grow grapes. It was torn down by the Carter Land Development Company in the mid 1950's when they developed the Tanglewood subdivision.
The house on the left was built in 1908 as part of the orphanage, burned down on Christmas, 1910 and rebuilt in 1911, and is today a private residence.
Originally these properties employed the orphans on their 78 acres of farmland, cannery and smokehouse and was the only orphanage in the Upstate.
Email the researcher.


 Interurban Electric Railway. In 1913 the Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson Railroad built
this 900 foot long steel trestle over the Enoree River. The electric trolly is long forgotten but the trestle
still serves the CSX Railroad.


Camp Sevier. Spanning some 2,000 acres, Camp Sevier was the post for what became the 13th Division or Old Hickory Division, primarily National Guardsmen from South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee. By late 1917 the camp housed 30,000 people in the tented city and endured the bitter winter of 1917 and a Spanish influenza epidemic.

Sans Souci, last home of Gov. Benjamin F. Perry. Built in the early 1870's just north of the city of Greenville. The home remained in the Perry family until it was destroyed by fire on 2 March 1930.

Cool Springs Primitive Baptist Church was established 7 December 1834. At first named "Head of Mush Creek" church the members resolved to change the name to "Cool Springs" in March, 1840. This old church building still stands in the upper part of the County.
Note: This is not Mush Creek Baptist Church.

Brushy Creek Baptist Church cir. 1940. One of the first established churches in the county, this building was constructed in 1900 and remodeled about 1919.

Double Springs Baptist Church Organized in 1801, rebuilt in 1855, again in 1872, and this photo from the 1913 building.

Poplar Springs Methodist Church cir. 1910 - 1920

Small Town in Greenville County If you recognize this small town please contact the contributor

Mauldin School was built before 1900 on the south side of East Butler Avenue in the locality of Mauldin Methodist United Church.  Sometime before 1910 there was an additional wing added to the school.  There was a porch on the new wing, which is where the students are standing in the picture.  A new 2-story, brick school was built around 1922 across the street from old school.  It later burned in the contributor.

C. B. Burns, Pastor at Fews Chapel Methodist Church.

Greenville Steel and Foundry, 1939, located on the "Super Highway" (today Wade Hampton Blvd.). The building was situated between the old Airline Railroad and P&N Railroad.

Poinsett Bridge was constructed in 1820 along the old road from Greenville, S.C. to Asheville, N.C. It is the oldest surviving bridge in South Carolina. Named for Joel R. Poinsett, a prominent early resident of Greenville, Poinsett's name is also associated with several other landmarks in Greenville.

Campbell's Covered Bridge, spanning Beaverdam Creek in upper Greenville County, was built in 1909. It is one of the last surviving bridges of it's type in South Carolina.

Main Street, Greer, S.C., early 1900s. From a small cotton depot on the Southern Rail Line the city grew and prospered.

An old icon printed on the 1929 letterhead of a local Greenville business. The business had no agricultural ties and the icon was probably added to support a campaign for the health concerns of the time.

Greenville County, South Carolina GenWeb

Search Nearly 2 Billion Names