RootsWeb Mailing List Search: RIGENWEB
Search the RIGenWeb
- Searches are not case sensitive. Capitals are used here for clarity.
- AND   OR   ANDNOT are operators that make a search more specific.
- John and Sherman retrieves documents in which
the words John and Sherman both appear somewhere in the document, but may not be together.
- will or probate returns documents containing either word.
- Philip andnot King retrieves documents
that contain the word Philip but not the word King (to eliminate King Philip's War).
- An asterisk * can be added to the end of a word (not the beginning or middle) as a wildcard to broaden your search.
- Richards* finds all words
beginning with Richards, including Richards, Richardsen, Richardson, etc.
- Use in place of an S to search for singular and plural forms: deed* will find both deed and deeds.
- Search for phrases by enclosing search terms in quotation marks.
- "John Sherman" (with quotes)
retrieves occurrences where the word John appears next to the word Sherman. However, John Sherman with a middle name or initials will not be found.
- John Sherman (without quotes)
finds documents where either the word John or the word Sherman appears.
- Use parentheses ( ) to group search expressions and to ensure the search is done correctly. Otherwise, operators execute from left to right.
- (Philip or Phillip) AND (Sherman or Shearman)
This search expression retrieves documents containing either spelling of Philip and either spelling of Sherman.
Back to the RIGenWeb Home Page