USGenWeb RI Articles, The Profession of Medicine, page 3

Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project
This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers.

History of Providence County, Rhode Island

Richard M. Bayles, Editor, Vol. I
New York: W. W. Preston & Co., 1891

Chapter IV - The Profession of Medicine

p. 94 - 96: Rufus Herbert Carver, M.D., son of Charles H. and Sarah Carver was born at Taunton, Mass., January 22d, 1849.  He attended the common schools, graduating from the high school in 1866, and from Harvard Medical School in 1870.  He began practice in Providence in May of that year.  In February, 1872, he removed to Pascoag, and took the practice of Doctor Samuel O. Griffin, who was sick, and in March, 1873, he returned to Providence and became associated with Doctors Capron and Perry.  This partnership was dissolved in October, 1877, since which time he has been practicing at 12 Aborn street.  He has been visiting physician to the Providence Lying-in Hospital since its foundation, and admitting physician for the last two years.  He is a member of the medical societies of state and city and is unmarried.

Charles K. Clark, M.D., was born in Scituate, in 1851.  He is a son of Daniel A. Clark, Sr., whose wife was Mary E. Harrington.  His paternal ancestors for three generations back were of the same name.  Charles K. was educated at Lapham Institute and Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York.  He graduated from the latter institution in 1874, and in 1875 located at Fiskville, in the Pawtuxet valley, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession.  He has held the offices of assessor of taxes and school committee.  He was married in 1876, to Miss Lizzie Manta, daughter of Reverend Zebulon Manta, of Maine, and they have had two children, a son and a daughter, of which only the former is now living.

William Caldwell, M.D., was born in Boston, Mass., August 17th, 1844.  His parents were Samuel R. and Harriet Caldwell.  In his youthful years he became a drug clerk and followed that business ten years.  He commenced practicing medicine as a physician in 1867, and settled in Providence, his present location, in 1873.  He was a member of the school committee from 1882 to 1889, and has been surgeon to the United Train of Artillery, and examining physician for several benefit societies.  He married Ella M. Tibbets of Portland, Me., in 1870, and has two hcildren - Eva May and Edith Maude.

Doctor Hector Canfield, son of Pearl and Lydia Canfield, was born in Stanstead, Province of Quebec, February 8th, 1834, where he shared the experience in general of the average country lad of half a century ago.  He attended the district school three months in winter and did general farm work in summer, until 14 years of age, when he assumed the function of the 'printer's devil', in the office of the local paper, the 'Stanstead Journal'.  There he remained about six years, and then went to Manchester, N.H., and thence to St. Johnsbury, Vt., to fill the position of foreman of the 'Caledonian' office, where he superintended the introduction of steam power presses into that office.  At that place he graduated from the printing office to the Christian ministry, in 1861, and from that time forward he held the pastoral relation successively in Cabot and Waterbury, Vt.; Pittsfield and Barnstead, N.H.; Boston, North Attleboro and Newburyport, Mass.; and Providence, R.I.  He was married in his native town, in 1854, to Laura L. Stone.  Their children were: George C., Lillie E., Henry H. (deceased), Florence L. and Minnie E.  Having pursued a somewhat systematic course of reading on the subject of medicine, under the direction and by the advice of different physicians he commenced the practice of medicine in 1868, in Pittsfieild, N.H., and in his successive fields, at North Attleboro, Newburyport and Providence he has practiced, meeting with very encouraging recognition, and a good degree of success.

George Wheaton Carr was born in Warwick, R.I., January 31st, 1834.  He was the son of John and Maria Brayton Carr.  After a full preliminary academic education he entered Brown University, and graduated as A.M. in 1857.  He then studied medicine in the office of Doctor J. W. C. Ely, of Providence, and in the medical department of Columbian College, at Washington, D.C., and subsequently in the University of Pennsylvania, graduating then in 1860.  In that year he was appointed assistant surgeon general of the state of Rhode Island, on the staff of Governor William Sprague.  In 1861 he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the 1st R.I. D. Militia, on the staff of Colonel A. E. Burnside, who then commanded that regiment.  He served with the regiment at Camp Sprague, Washington, and at the first battle of Bull Run.  On the muster out of that regiment (being a three months regiment) in August, 1861, he was commissioned assistant surgeon, and soon after surgeon, of the 2d R.I. Vols., commanded by Colonel Frank Wheaton, afterward general. He was with the regiment at Camp Brightwood, Washington, and in all the battles and marches of the army of the Potomac, acting also as brigade surgeon and field operating surgeon, in which capacity he served at the battles of Yorktown, Mechanicsville, Hanover Junction, Gaines' Mill, Seven Pines, Chickahominy Swamp, the seven days battle before Richmond, Malvern Hill, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Spottsylvania, Brandy Station, Mine Run and Gettysburg.  He was mustered out with the regiment in 1864, and was soon commissioned brigade surgeon of the Second Brigade of R.I. Militia.  In 1868 he was appointed examining surgeon of pensions; in 1869, medical director of the R.I. State Militia; in 1878, consulting surgeon of the R.I. Hospital; in 1877 consulting physician of the Butler Hospital, all of which positions he now holds.  He served as surgeon of the R.I. Hospital from the opening of that institution till 1888, when he resigned, after 20 years of service.

p. 96 - 99: Warren Cooke, M.D., of Lincoln, was at the time of his death one of the oldest and most prominent physicians in the town.  He was the son of Jesse and Lydia (Thayer) Cooke, and was born in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, August 10th, 1809.  He studied medicine with Doctor Hiram Cleveland of Pawtucket, and subsequently took a course of lectures in the Columbian Medical College, Washington, D.C., taking his degree of M.D. from that institution, then under the presidency of Doctor Stephen Chapen, in the year 1834.  He practiced his profession first in the state of Maryland.  In 1836, under the advice of Doctor Cleveland he came to this place and for 30 years thereafter was located at Lonsdale, where he pursued a large and lucrative practice. He was always in feeble health, yet with few interruptions  from sickness he labored faithfully until 1867, when his health became so much impaired that he was compelled to give up the greater part of his active business.  About this time he moved a short distance from Lonsdale to what is known as the Smith place, one of the oldest landmarks in the country.  It was his object in moving here to retire to a more quiet life, but he kept actively engaged in  his professional pursuits until the day of his decease in 1873, when he dropped dead from heart disease while in conversation with a youthful friend then on a visit to the family.  He was very attentive to the wants and needs of others in his profession, but was quiet, reserved and much opposed to ostentation or great show.

While in Lonsdale he filled several positions of trust, honor and responsibility.  He was selected at one time by his fellow townsmen for representative to the state legislature, but he felt the duties of his profession were such that he should not accept.  He always took a deep interest in the affairs of the village.  He delivered lectures before the Young Men's Lyceum.  He was elected vestryman in Christ's church, October 23d, 1835.  He declined but was elected again April 18th, 1836, and continued to serve until 1848, when he was elected treasurer.  He was sent to the Diocesan Convention several times.  He was one of the school committee for eight or ten years.  In all the various duties in life he acted conscentiously and from a high sense of integrity.  'In the sick chamber he was kind and gentle', says a leading publication, 'never precipitate or rash.  In cases of doubt or perplexity he sought counsel. For double dealing and quackery he had the utmost comtempt.  Principle was always paramount to self interest.  He died May 15th, 1873.'

In November, 1845, he married Elizabeth Arnold of Smithfield, R.I.  One daughter, Mrs. Harriet Elizabeth Thornton, survives him.  Mrs. Cooke was the daughter of Jonathan and Abigail Arnold.  Her mother was the oldest daughter of John Randall of North Providence, one of the oldest representative families in the county.

Benoni Carpenter, M.D., of Pawtucket, was a native of Rehoboth, Mass., being the eldest son of Caleb Carpenter.  He studied medicine with Doctor Usher Parsons, and entered Brown University, graduating in 1829.  He then attended Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, from which institution he received his diploma in 1832.  He commenced the practice of medicine in his native town, and subsequently removed to Seekonk Center, and still later came to Pawtucket.  After practicing there until 1856, he removed to North Attleboro, Mass., but returned to Pawtucket in 1860.  During the war he was connected with the army in his professional capacity.  He died in November, 1877.  His wife was Adeline Everett, of Wrentham, Mass., and their children were:  Everett A., a lawyer of Sag Harbor, Long Island; W. B. Carpenter, a lawyer practicing in New York city; Adeline E., widow of J. Stone, now resides in Hyde Park, Mass.; Frank H., engaged in mercantile business in New York city; Fred B., a physician of East Providence; and Sally S., wife of Frank B. Webster, of Hyde Park.

Fred B. Carpenter, M.D., was born in Pawtucket, June 8th, 1845.  After attending the high school of that town he entered Brown University in 1864. He then studied medicine with Doctor Lloyd Morton, of Pawtucket, and in 1868 received his degree of M.D. from Harvard Medical College.  In that year he began to practice medicine in East Providence, where he still remains.

George Edward Carpenter, M.D., was born August 23d, 1849, in that part of the town of Seekonk, Mass., which on March 1st, 1862, became East Providence, R.I.  His parents were George Otis and Amanda (Armington) Carpenter.  His early life was passed on his father's farm and in attendance at the district schools of the town.  In the fall of 1865 he entered the English and classical school of Messrs. Mowry & Goff, in Providence, from the classical department of which he graduated in 1868.  He then entered Brown University, from which he was graduated with the degree of A.B., in 1873, having been absent from college one year in 1870-71, during which time he studied medicine.  He received the degree of A.M. from Brown in 1878. After graduation  he studied medicine with Doctor Sylvanus Clapp, of Pawtucket, R.I., and attended lectures at the Long Island College Hospital, at Brooklyn, N.Y., and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York city, and from the latter institution he received the degree of M.D., March 1st, 1875.  He joined the Rhode Island Medical Society in March, 1875, and in the following autumn commenced practice in the village of Sand Bank, Oswego county, N.Y., where he remained until April, 1878.  On July 1st, 1878, he commenced practice in East Providence, where he has since remained. He has held the offices of school committee, town superintendent of schools, and health officer, in East Providence.  He was married November 9th, 1875, to Eliza K., daughter of Perry Barney, of East Providence, and their five children have been: Edna R., John B., George O. (deceased), Ida M. and Mary A.

Lee Wheaton Clapp, M.D., was born January 3d, 1849, in Pawtucket, and graduated from Harvard Medical College in 1873.  During the same year he commenced the practice of medicine in Pawtucket and still continues in that field.

Sylvanus Clapp, M.D., was born in West Hampton, Mass., November 22d, 1815. After taking a course of lectures at Harvard College, he graduated from Dartmouth College in 1836.  He practiced medicine five years in Massachusetts, and then came to Pawtucket, in 1841.  At the latter place he continued in practice till his death, June 15th, 1879.

Hiram Cleveland, M.D., late of Pawtucket, was born in Plainfield, Conn., January 8th, 1799.  He graduated from Woodstock, Vermont, Medical College, and for a time practiced in Coventry, R.I.  In 1823 he came to Pawtucket, where he continued to reside and practice till his death, in 1858.  He joined the state medical society in 1824.  Doctor Cleveland married Miss Esther Robinson, and became the father of three sons, all of whom grew to manhood, but are now dead.  Their names were Henry A., George Clinton and Charles Carroll.  The second was a physcian of Rehoboth and Cumberland Hill. Doctor Cleveland was one of 34 who formed the first temperance society in Rhode Island.  He was deeply interested in educational matters, and assisted a number of young persons to obtain an education.  Mrs. Mary, wife of Henry Jenks, was an adopted daughter of Doctor Cleveland, and now resides on the old homestead.

Doctor I. S. Cook, a graduate of Harvard, and of Tufts College, of Massachusetts, came to this county soon after the death of Doctor Nutting. He had been principal of Perkins Academy two years.  He graduated from Harvard in 1886, and came here in 1887.  He is still practicing in Georgiaville.

Doctor James Henry Davenport, now practicing at 5 Harrison street, Providence, was born in Fall River, Mass., March 17th, 1862.  His parents were William and Julia S. (Gifford) Davenport.  He was educated in the public schools of Fall River, Brown University (class of 1883), medical department of the University of Vermont (class of 1885), and medical department of Harvard University (class of 1887).  He was interne at Rhode Island Hospital from September 1st, 1885, to November 1st, 1886; and resident physician at Boston Lying-in Hospital from January 1st to May 1st, 1887.  He has been in private practice in Providence since September, 1887. He is a member of several medical societies, and is assistant surgeon in the department of Gynaecology at the Rhode Island Hospital.

Francois X. Dion is located at Central Falls in the practice of medicine as a certified pharmacist, not having attained to the full degree of M.D.  He has, however, practiced his profession with success for many years.  He is the father of nine children.

p. 99 - 102: Addington Davenport, M.D., was born at Boylston, Mass., May 7th, 1785.  He married Eliza Kennedy, and practiced medicine in Pawtucket many years.  He died there, September 21st, 1822, leaving two sons, Addington and George. The former was born in Rehoboth, now Pawtucket, February 8th, 1808.  He studied medicine with Doctor Ira Barrows, and graduated from Brown University.  He practiced medicine in Pawtucket, Newport and Providence, and died in Pawtucket August 1st, 1864.  His wife was Elizabeth Mumford, and they had four children, only one of whom, Horace W., is now living.

Raymond P. Eddy, M.D., of Greenville, was born in Smithfield, August 17th, 1823.  His early years were spent working on the farm and in the mill, and for a time he was engaged in the jewelry business.  His health failing he turned his attention to the study of medicine.  In 1860 he received the degree of M.D. from the Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, and since that time has practiced in the town of Smithfield.  He was married November 27th, 1846, to Eliza, daughter of Harry Smith.  Their children were: Albert Fulton, Elmer Bertley and Raymond Perry.  Mrs. Eddy died April 6th, 1842*; and Doctor Eddy married his second wife, Miss Ella M. Hawkins, and by this marriage is the father of one daughter, Ruth Pearl Eddy.

[* transcriber's note: this is obviously a typo - she married her husband in 1846, and bore a son in 1850]

Elmer Bertley Eddy, son of the last noticed, was born in Smithfield, January 8th, 1850.  After his graduation from the Lapham Institute, in 1870, he began the study of medicine under his father.  He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York, in 1873, and practiced with his father a short time afterward.  He is now practicing in Olneyville.

Elmer S. Fiske, M.D., was born in Manchester, N.H, April 19th, 1861.  His parents were Jeremiah and Sarah A. (Davis) Fiske.  He attended the public schools in Manchester until May, 1877, when he removed with his parents to North Scituate, R.I.  He attended Lapham Institute in the winter of 1879-80, and taught district school in the winter of 1880-81, in the town of Johnston, pursuing the study of medicine meanwhile under the instruction of Doctor Walter J. Smith of North Scituate.  He also taught school in Scituate one year, beginning April 1st, 1881.  In the fall of 1882 he entered the medical department of the University of the City of New York, from which he graduated in March, 1884.  He immediately settled at Clayville, taking the practice of Doctor Jefferson Howard, who had recently died.  He removed to Olneyville in September, 1884, and has practiced there to the present time. He has held the office of member and secretary of the board of health, and town physician, and is a member of the State Medical Association.

John T. Farrell, M.D., was born in Webster, Mass., September 11th, 1858, and is the eldest of five sons of Thomas and Catherine (Thompson) Farrell.  He received a high school education in his native town, and then entered the leading dry goods house as a clerk.  In early boyhood industry and power of application were inculcated in him by his parents, and his school-boy days were marked by evidence of ambition, energy and executive ability.  During summer vacations he published a local paper, which yielded some financial returns.  Later in the dry goods store he rose in four years from the rank of chore boy to that of confidential clerk.  Love of physiological study, however, awakened in his high school course, developed as he maintained manhood, and bore fruit in a determination to relinquish glowing mercantile opportunities, and with this ambition inspiring him he entered Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, and pursuing its course, graduated in April, 1886.  A few weeks later he opened an office for the practice of medicine at 1033 High street, Providence, where he has by earnest application built up a large and lucrative practice in the Olneyville section of the city and vicinity.

Frank Lyman Forsyth, M.D., was born in Hampton, N.H., February 13th, 1854. His father was Francis Flint Forsyth, M.D., born in Deering, N.H., and his mother in her maidenhood was Sarah Jane Dickerman, a native of Easton, Mass. Our subject lived in South Abington, Mass., from 1855 to 1862, and then moved to Weymouth, Mass.  He was educated at the Public Latin School of Boston, and at the North Weymouth High School; matriculated at the Medical School of Harvard University in June, 1873, and received the degree of M.D. in June, 1876.  He practiced a few months in Weymouth, then served one year as medical and surgical interne at the Rhode Island Hospital, and was connected with the out-patient department of that hospital for two or three years.  Since 1877 he has been in practice in Providence, his present residence and office being at 139 Broadway, corner of America street.  He joined the Massachusetts Medical Society in 1876, and Rhode Island Medical Society and Providence Medical Association in March, 1877.  He held the commission as first lieutenant in Company E, Slocum Light Guards, R.I. Militia, for six years, resigning it in 1887.  He is prominent in many secret beneficial societies, including Masons and Odd Fellows.  He was married June 11th, 1873, to Bertha Y. Stevens, of New Haven, Conn.  The progenitor of his family in America was Deacon Mather Forsyth, a native of Scotland, born about 1700, and settled in Chester, N.H., in 1730.

Frank Boutelle Fuller, M.D., is the eldest son of Ruel V. B. and Harriet A. (Houghton) Fuller, and was born in Wilton, Maine, August 28th, 1856.  He attended Main Wesleyan Seminary, at Readfield, and Bates College, at Lewiston, Maine.  He was graduated from Harvard Medical College in the spring of 1878.  He was house surgeon of Rhode Island Hospital at Providence, in 1879; house surgeon for the Boston Lying-in Hospital, in 1880; and in the fall of that year came to Pawtucket, where he has from that time continued in the practice of his profession.  He is medical examiner for the towns of Pawtucket and Lincoln, and a member of the medical societies of Rhode Island and Providence, and of the Medico-Legal Society.

Abraham Z. Falcom, M.D., was born in the province of Quebec, March 16th, 1857.  After taking a classical course at Montreal Classical College, he entered Victoria College, at Montreal, from which he received the degree of M.D. in 1879.  During that year he established himself in the practice of medicine in Central Falls, where he still remains.  He is a member of the medical societies and a registered pharmacist.

Charles  Henry French, M.D., is a native of Waterbury, Conn., where he was born January 29th, 1858.  He was the only son of Henry W. French.  After attending the local schools he took an academic course at North Wilbraham, Mass., and subsequently entered Yale College, where he graduated.  He then took a course of lectures at Bellevue Hospital, New York, receiving the degree of M.D. in 1880.  He was a surgeon in the charity hospital, Blackwell's Island, from 1880 to 1882; began practice at Waterbury, Conn., in 1882; and came to Pawtucket in 1887, where he still resides and practices his profession.  He has held membership in many professional and social societies wherever he has been located.  He married Florence Wells, of Waterbury, and has one son, Horace.

p. 102 -105: Doctor Charles Harris Fisher, son of George Clinton and Harriet (Cady) Fisher, was born in Killingly, Conn., June 30th, 1822.  His early educational advantages were very limited, but later he acquired a fair classical and scientific education, the expenses of which, with those of his subsequent medical studies, were defrayed solely by his personal labor.  He pursued the study of medicine with Doctor Justin Hammond, of Connecticut, and Prof. Alfred C. Post, M.D., LL. D., of New York.  He was connected as student and assistant with the New York City Hospital, and received his medical education at that institution and at the University of the City of New York, and at Dartmouth Medical College, where he was graduated in 1847; and afterward attended lectures at the medical department of Harvard University.  Immediately after this he settled in Scituate, R.I., where he engaged in general practice, but gave special attention to uterine diseases and to the surgical branch of his profession, performing nearly all the surgical operations that were called for within a considerable extent of surrounding country, where he was for some years principal consulting physician.  He has been prominent in the Rhode Island Medical Society since joining it in 1850, and representing it at the meeting of the American Association in 1858.  He has served the state society for many years as censor, vice-president and president.  Outside of professional lines he has held various offices:  superintendent of schools and various town offices; state senator at different times, during which service he was a member of the state board of education from 1870 to 1880, when he declined further re-election; trustee of State Normal School ten years; chairman of the state fish commission; presidential elector in 1876; president of Citizens' Union Bank; president of Scituate National Bank, 1865 to 1876; secretary of state board of health, 1878 to 1890; and as presiding officer of many social, literary and benevolent associations of the county and state.  He took an active part in the establishment of the State Normal School, the work of stocking the waters of the state with fish, and promoting the construction of the Providence & Springfield railroad.  In 1862 he was appointed a member of the surgical board of exemption from draft, and from 1862 to 1865 was an inspector of recruits for the army, being denied service in the field because of physical disability.  In 1880 he removed to Providence, and was that year elected commissioner of public health and state registrar of vital statistics, both of which offices he still holds.  He has done much literary work, in various lines; contributed to the public press and to medical periodicals; prepared eleven annual reports on the registration of births, marriages and deaths in Rhode Island, amounting to about 2,200, and twelve annual reports of the state board of health, comprising about 4,350 pages; edited the 'Monthly Bulletin' of the state board of health (a periodical of 20 octavo pages) from the commencement in 1888; and drafted numerous acts for legislative approval, many of which are now embodied in the public statutes and laws of the state.  He has been a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; the American Social Science Association; the American Public Health Association, of which he is one of the advisory council; the American Medical Association; the International Medical Congress of 1887, held at Washington, D.C., and of the Congress of 1890, held in Berlin, Germany.  He was married February 22d, 1849, to Sophia R. Smith, of Scituate, and has four children: George R., a graduate of Brown University and a practicing physician; Mary S., wife of Franklin P. Owen, a lawyer by profession; Ruth M., wife of Walter J. Smith, a practicing physician; and Lizzie H., wife of Albert W. Chapman, in the office of W. A. Chapman & Co., contractors; all of Providence.

Lucius F. C. Garvin, of Cumberland, was born in Knoxville, Tenn., November 13th, 1841.  His parents were James A. and Sarah A. (Gunn) Garvin.  When our subject was eight years of age his mother removed to Greensboro, N.C., his father, who was a professor in East Tennessee University, having died a year or two before.  He was fitted for college in part at a private school in Greensboro, and later at New Garden (now Guilford College), a Friends' boarding school, six miles from his home.  At 16 years of age he entered Amherst College, and was graduated from that institution in the class of 1862, and from Harvard Medical School in 1867.  Meanwhile he served in the war, enlisting as a private in Company E, 51st Mass. Vols., under General Foster, in North Carolina.  He taught school at different times, before and after the war.  In the spring of 1867 he began the practice of his profession at Lonsdale, where he still resides.  He is medical examiner for District No. 7 (town of Cumberland), and has held the office of moderator of the town of Cumberland for two years, and representative from that town from March 6th, 1883, to May, 1884, and again in 1885 to 1887.  In 1880 he entered upon an active propaganda of the extension of suffrage in the state, and in the spring of 1888 had the gratification of witnessing the adoption of an amendment to the constitution granting a free suffrage to all adult male citizens in the election of all civil officers excepting members of city councils.  In 1889-90 he represented his town in the state legislature as senator.  He was married at Middletown, Conn., December 23d, 1869, to Lucy W. Southmayd, and they have three children - Ethel, Norma and Florence.

William F. Gleason was born January 1st, 1861, at Milford, Mass., being the son of John and Anne Gleason.  He graduated at the grammar and high schools of his native town, Exeter Academy and Harvard Medical School, and settled in Hopkinton, Mass., in the practice of medicine in October, 1855.  Thence he removed to Providence in February, 1887, and there continues to practice. He is still unmarried.

Mrs. Susan M. Grimwood, M.D., was Miss Susan M. Cooley, a native of Ossipee, N.H. (Stafford county).  She commenced her education at Dover, N.H., and finished at Boston, where she married Doctor Fred. Clarke, an English allopathic doctor.  After his death she studied medicine a year with Doctor Harrington, and then came to Providence, where she read a year with Doctor Capron, now deceased.  This was just before the late war, and when that broke out she became interested in hospital work under Doctor Weeden at Portsmouth Grove and at other hospitals.  She married Daniel C. Grimwood in February, 1864.  He was in the recruiting service at the beginning of the war, and later was in the quartermaster's department.  He died in February, 1889.  Her grandfather, John Cooley, came from Holland, and served in the war of the revolution.  Her father, Thomas, was the youngest of his five sons.  Her mother's maiden name was Williams.  Mrs. Grimwood has practiced medicine in Providence now some 35 years.  She has two children: Vertine E. Grimwood, now the wife of N. Hammond of Boston, and a son, F. S. Grimwood.

John R. Goodale, M.D., was born February 3d, 1837, at West Boylston, Mass., his parents being Norman H. Goodale, a native of Vermont, and Olive Read, daughter of Captain John Read, of West Boylston, where they lived on the farm until the end of their lives.  Our subject worked on the farm and studied in Professor May's private school for several years, afterward a high school.  He then studied medicine with Doctor Kelley of Worcester, Mass., and later with Walter Burnham of Lowell, Mass.  From 1855 to 1858 he studied in the Worcester Medical Institution, and in 1858 began practice at West Boylston.  In the following year he removed to Pawtucket, where he has been practicing ever since.  In 1871 he attended lectures at the New York Eclectic College of Medicine, and received his degree from that institution. He became a member of the National Eclectic Medical Association in 1871, and served as a delegate to represent this state in that body for 14 years.  He was married in 1859, to Addie, eldest daughter of Doctor Davis.  Their two children are Addie, now married and living in Oakland, Cal.; and Lillie, now the wife of Frank Perkins and living in Pawtucket.

William Gottschalk, M.D., is the son of Doctor William Von Gottschalk, the 'Von' now being dropped from the name.  The elder was a German exile, and came to this country in 1848, after the revolution in that country.  He practiced medicine in Providence 35 years.  The younger is a graduate of the medical department of Boston University, and has practiced medicine at Central Falls since 1877.

p. 105 - 107: William Alpheus Gaylord, M.D., of Pawtucket, was born in Westfield, Mass., June 17th, 1826.  He took a classical course at Washington Academy, now Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., and afterward attended Harvard Medical College, where he graduated in 1848.  Doctor Gaylord commenced the practice of medicine at Henniker, N.H., during the year of his graduation.  In the winter of 1849 he settled in Valley Falls, where he remained until 1856, when he removed to Pawtucket, and has since that time practiced there.

Johnson Gardner, M.D., in his time a noted physician of Pawtucket, was born at Rehoboth, Mass., November 22d, 1799, and was the youngest son of James and Susan Gardner.  In his early life he taught school in his native town. He commenced the study of medicine with Doctor Usher Parsons, of Providence, and graduated from the medical department of Brown University in 1824, after which he commenced the practice of medicine in Pawtucket, during the same year.  From that time to 1842 he was one of the most prominent physicians in that town.  In the year mentioned he removed to Seekonk, now East Providence, where he remained until the winter of 1853-4, when he returned to Pawtucket.  In the fall of 1861, having been appointed by President Lincoln and Governor James Y. Smith, medical examiner of the state volunteers of Rhode Island, he opened an office on Benefit street, Providence.  He was prominently  concerned with political affairs, having been a member of the Massachusetts house of representatives three or four terms, state senator, and member of the governor's council during the administration of Governor Boutwell of Massachusetts.  He was appointed by Governor Briggs of Massachusetts as one of three commissioners to settle the boundary line between that state and Rhode Island, and his report was given the preference.  He was an honored member of the state and local medical societies, wherever he was located.  He died at Pawtucket, December 12th, 1869, and left the following family: John A., who was district attorney of the state under President Grant's administration, and died at Providence in the 48th year of his age; Ellen, wife of Joseph A. Bourn, of Providence; Josephine, wife of Lyman B. Frieze, of Providence; Walter S., a resident of Pawtucket; Lenora S., wife of Richard Grinnell, of Providence, and Clarence T., a physician, of the same city.

Edgard Chapman Gates, M.D., was born in Providence, September 18th, 1858. His parents were Elam Horatio, and Elizabeth (Chapman) Gates.  After attending the public schools, at the age of 15 he entered the University Grammar School, and after graduating there entered Brown University in 1877. He commenced the study of medicine in the offices of Doctors Barrow, Wilcox and Green, and pursued the study in the University Medical College of the City of New York, graduating therefrom in March, 1881.  After being associated with Doctor Edward Sanford for three months, he opened an office of his own in July, 1881.  This was in Attleboro, Mass., where he remained five years, having a fair amount of practice.  A favorable opening presenting itself he removed to Providence in 1886, and there continues in practice.  He is a member of many fraternal societies, and holds honorable or professional positions in most of them.

Simeon Hunt, son of William D. and Lydia (Chase) Hunt, was born in Seekonk, Mass., in 1837.  He was educated in part at the Friends' school, at Providence, and entered Dartmouth College in 1858.  Graduating from the latter institution in 1862, he studied medicine, and graduated from that department in 1864.  He was appointed by President Lincoln assistant surgeon of the 69th U. S. Colored Infantry, in October, 1864.  In the spring of 1865 he began the practice of medicine in Corry, Penn., remaining there about three months.  He afterward practiced in Springfield, Erie county, Penn., and in the spring of 1868 located in East Providence, where he has since practiced.  He was health officer for a number of years, and for a number of years was on the school committee.  In July, 1884, he was appointed state medical examiner.  He is a member of the local, state and national medical societies, and of several social organizations.  His wife was Anna M., daughter of Samuel W. Balch, of Lyme, N.H.

Joseph Hils, M.D., of Woonsocket, was born at St. Grigvire-Le-Grand, Iberville county, Quebec.  He was graduated at McGill University, Montreal, in 1873, and immediately began the practice of medicine in Woonsocket.  He is a member of the Hospital Staff, and also of the Rhode Island Medical Society, and was for several years president of the St. John Society.

John R. Harrington, M.D., of Valley Falls, is the eldest son of Patrick and Ann Harrington, and was born in Fall River, Mass., December 10th, 1849. After attending the local schools he became a student at the Bryant & Stratton Business College, in Providence.  Later he pursued the study of medicine, and in 1877 graduated from Harvard Medical College.  In the same year he commenced the practice of medicine in Pawtucket, and remained there until 1879, when he moved to Central Falls.  Thence he moved to Valley Falls in 1883, and there he has since continued to practice.  His wife was Jennie Quigley, and their two children are John Edward, and Jennie G. Harrington.

George B. Haines, M.D., of Valley Falls, was born in Northfield, N.H., May 31st, 1843, and was the eldest son of Benjamin and Martha (Kenison) Haines. After attending the local schools he entered the New Hampshire Conference Seminary, at Tilton, after which he studied medicine with C. B. Willis, M.D., of Tilton, and with Doctors John H. Clark and Thomas Hilard, of the U.S. Navy.  From 1865 to 1872 he was in the employ of the U. S. Government being stationed at Portsmouth, N.H., on board the receiving ships 'Vandalia' and "Sabine'.  In 1870 he graduated from Dartmouth College, where he received his diploma.  He commenced the practice of medicine at Valley Falls in 1872, and there he still continues to practice.  He is a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society.

George A. Harris, M.D., of Chepachet, is a native of Scituate, where he was born May 19th, 1856.  He graduated from the Lapham Institute in the class of 1873, and in 1876 began the study of medicine under Doctor Albert Potter, of Chepachet.  He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the City of New York, in the class of 1879.  He then commenced practice in the village of Greenville, but in 1880 came to Chepachet, his present field of practice.  He married Ella L., daughter of Edward B. Smith, of Scituate.

John Frederick Haller, M.D., was born in Smaland, Sweden, October 16th, 1862.  His father was a music teacher as well as a teacher of other branches, in the high school.  Our subject received a common school education, and afterward college tuition with a view toward the study of medicine, but he graduated from the commercial department and became a bookkeeper and office clerk for several years.  He emigrated to the United States at the age of 19, and became organist in the First Lutheran church of Jamestown, N.Y., being at the same time bookkeeper for a wholesale firm.  He worked for some time in a piano manufactory at Jamestown, as tuner and regulator.  He took a lively interest in politics and held minor ward positions, and bought a Swedish newspaper in 1884 and published it until 1888.  In the meantime he was studying medicine at the University of Buffalo, graduating from that institution in 1888.  He then sold his newspaper, and removed to Providence, R.I., and began practice, making specialties of diseases of throat and air passages and bowels and liver.  In November, 1888, he started the first Swedish newspaper in Rhode Island, 'The Tiden', and he is also a writer of newspapers and periodicals and a frequent speaker at public meetings on temperance, church matters and political questions.  He is a member of many social and medical societies.   He was married to Adelaide Luther, of Providence, June 11th, 1889.

The Profession of Medicine Continued

These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project.
Transcribed by Beth Hurd, 2000.