Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Biographical, 76
Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

History  of the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations: Biographical

NY: The American Historical Society, Inc. 1920



p. 340 - 342:

Jesse MetcalfJESSE METCALF  --  No name stands out more brilliantly in the history of the growth and development of the woolen industry in Rhode Island, than that of Metcalf.  The late Jesse Metcalf, president and treasurer of the Wanskuck Company, was one of the commanding and vital figures of the industrial and commercial world of Rhode Island from the close of the Civil War until his death in 1899.  He was succeeded by his sons, Stephen O. Metcalf and Jesse H. Metcalf, treasurer and president respectively of the Wanskuck Mills, and leaders in the woolen industry in New England.

The Metcalf family is one of the oldest in America.  The Metcalfs comprise the progeny of Michael Metcalf, an Englishman of substance and standing who was a resident of Dedham, in the Massachusetts Bay Colony as early as 1637. His descendants, although not numerous, have figured prominently in the history of southeastern Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, for two and a half centuries.

(I)  Michael Metcalf, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, was born in Tatterford, County Norfolk, England, in 1586.  Prior to his coming to America, he was a dornock weaver at Norwich, where he was made a freeman in 1618.  With his wife, nine children, and one servant, he came to the New England colonies in 1637, and settled in Dedham, Mass., where he was admitted a freeman, July 14, 1637.  In 1639 he became a member of the church of Dedham, and in 1641 was chosen selectman.  According to a statement made by him shortly after his coming to America, he left England because of religious persecution.  Michael Metcalf married (first) on October 13, 1616, in Waynham, England, Sarah ------ , who was born June 17, 1593, and died November 30, 1644.  He married (second) August 13, 1645, Mrs. Mary Pidge, a widow, of Roxbury.  Michael Metcalf died December 27, 1664.

(II)  Michael (2) Metcalf, son of Michael (1) and Sarah Metcalf, was born August 29, 1620, in County Norfolk, England, and accompanied his parents to America in 1637.  He settled in Dedham, where he was a prosperous land owner and farmer until his death in 1654.  On April 21, 1644, he married Mary Fairbanks, daughter of John Fairbanks, Sr. He died in Dedham, December 27, 1654.

(III) Jonathan Metcalf, son of Michael (2) and Mary (Fairbanks) Metcalf, was born in Dedham, Mass., September 21, 1650, and was a lifelong resident there.  He married, April 10, 1674, Hannah Kenric, daughter of John Kenric; she died on December 23, 1731.  Jonathan Metcalf died May 27, 1727.

(IV)  Nathaniel Metcalf, son of Jonathan and Hannah (Kenric) Metcalf, was born in Dedham, Mass., April 17 (or 22), 1691. He married, February 13 or 17, 1713, Mary Gay, and died March 15, 1752.

(V)  Nathaniel (2) Metcalf, son of Nathaniel (1) and Mary (Gay) Metcalf, was born August 29, 1718, and died May 3, 1789. He married Ruth Whiting, of Attleboro, Mass., and several of their sons settled in Providence, R. I.

(VI)  Joel Metcalf, son of Nathaniel (2) and Ruth (Whiting) Metcalf, was born November 4, 1755, in Attleboro, Mass. According to Providence records he removed his family from Attleboro to Providence on February 4, 1780.  He resided at what is now Nos. 64-66 Benefit street. Joel Metcalf was a leather dresser and currier, and carried on an extensive business, at first in company with his brother, Michael, and later independently, on Mill street, Providence, in a wooden building.  He was a stern Democrat of the Jeffersonian school, and his name may be found among the fifty-six freemen who voted the Democratic ticket when Thomas Jefferson came into power. Although his education was limited and his politics unpopular in Providence, such was the general confidence in the uprightness of his intentions and his strong common sense that his fellow-citizens elected him for many years a member of the Town Council.  He was also elected a member of the school committee for twenty-two years in succession, during which time he was present at every examination of the public schools. He was among the first and foremost in favor of the public schools, and that his interest in them was real is evidenced in the fact that he gave his personal attendance at upward of eighty successive examinations. When the Democratic party came into power in Rhode Island, he was elected a judge of the Court of Common Pleas for the County of Providence.

Joel Metcalf married, on December 9, 1779, Lucy Gay, who was born in Attleboro, October 3, 1759.  They were the parents of ten children, four sons and six daughters.  To one of his daughters, Betsey Metcalf, who became the wife of Obed Baker, of West Dedham, Mass., belongs the distinction of having been the founder of the straw braiding industry in the United States. Seeing an imported Dunstable straw bonnet in the window of the store of Colonel John Whipple, she determined to have a Dunstable bonnet and commenced experimenting with some oat straw that her father had harvested that year.  She started work on her first experiment in June, 1791. She began braiding first with six straws and then with seven, and finally found, after much discouragement from friends and encouragement from an aunt in the family, that she was able to imitate perfectly the imported braid.  She says, in a letter written from her home in West Dedham, in 1858, 'The First bonnet I made was of seven braid, with bobbin put in like open work, and lined with pink satin.  This was very much admired and hundreds, I should think, came to see it.'

(VII)  Jesse Metcalf, son of Joel and Lucy (Gay) Metcalf, was born in Providence, R. I., May 15, 1790, and died there June 20, 1838.  He married, April 19, 1812, Eunice Dench Houghton, daughter of John Houghton. She died May 5, 1858.

(VIII)  Jesse (2) Metcalf, son of Jesse (1) and Eunice Dench (Houghton) Metcalf, was born March 4, 1827, in the old home of the Metcalfs on Mills street, Providence, and died in Providence, December 20, 1899.  He received all his educational training in Providence, attending Mr. Baker's Second District School on Meeting street, and later the private schools of Thomas C. Hartshorn and Joseph S. Pitman.  Choosing to follow a mercantile career, he entered the employ of Truman Beckwith, with whom he remained until 1851, in which year he went to Augusta, Georgia, with Stephen T. Olney, as a cotton buyer.  He followed that business with great success until the panic of 1857 began to make itself felt, and then returned to Providence, where with Mr. Olney he began the purchase of wool. In 1858 they commenced stocking the Glendale Mill, then operated by Lyman Copeland, and in 1859 acted in a similar capacity for the Greenville Mills, run by Messrs. Pooke & Steere.  Both these concerns made cassimeres. They subsequently stocked the Mohegan Mills, where satinet was manufactured.

The Civil War put an end to the cotton business, and in July, 1862, Mr. Metcalf and Mr. Olney, in company with Henry J. Steere, commenced the erection of the Wanskuck Mill. The formation and incorporation of the Wanskuck Company followed, Mr. Metcalf, Mr. Olney and Mr. Steere taking up the stock of the concern.   In May, 1864, they shipped their first case of woolen goods to New York.  On January 12, 1870, the Wanskuck Company shipped the first case of worsted goods for men's wear made in this country. The business grew rapidly from the very start, and had so expanded by October 1874, that work was commenced on a worsted mill, the machinery of which was put into motion in April, 1875.  Further development rewarded their enterprise, and on July 12, 1884, the first delivery of yarn was made from the new Steere worsted mill.  Early in 1897 the company assumed the management of the Geneva Mill, and in 1898 of the Mohegan Mill and Oakland Mill in Burrillville.  All through the the period of the activity of the Wanskuck Company, Mr. Metcalf was an energetic and enthusiastic factor in its growth.  He was a man not only of large vision, but of exceptional executive powers, and as president and treasurer of the Wanskuck Company from the time of its founding until his death, guided through the turbulent period of its infancy and set upon a solid foundation an organization which has since developed into one of the largest and most flourishing of its kind in the world.

Through his association with a business which was dependent to a large extent on the successful operation of other industries, Mr. Metcalf became interested in financial enterprises of magnitude and importance, and was active in their management and direction.  He was associated with the Bank of North America for a considerable period, as a director, and later as president.  He was also a director of the New York & New England Railroad; a director of the Providence Gas Company, and at one time its president; and a director of several manufacturers' mutual insurance companies, and for several years president of the Union Railroad Company.  Though devoted to his extensive business interests, he was a man of social nature, and held membership in the Union League Club of New York, and the Hope Club of Providence.  He was an honorary member of the Cobden Club of England, of which but few Americans are members; the late Rowland Hazard was also an associate member of this organization.

Originally a Republican in political affiliation, Mr. Metcalf later became an Independent.  Despite the fact that he was deeply interested in public affairs, the constant demands of his large business interests disbarred him from very active participation in this field.  Nevertheless he served for several years as a Republican member of the Rhode Island Legislature, and while a member of the house was influential in securing the passage of many valuable reforms.  He was the first to introduce into the Legislature a measure changing the legal rate of interest. It became a law, the first of its kind in the United States, and set an example which many other States followed.  Of this achievement he often spoke with justifiable pride.  He also served as a member of the Board of Inspection of the State Prison, which body was the predecessor of the present Board of States Charities and Corrections, and had charge of the State's penal institutions.  This Board of Inspection accomplished much excellent work during its period of office, and was given a vote of thanks by the Legislature.  In 1888 Mr. Metcalf was a delegate to the National Convention held at St. Louis which nominated Grover Cleveland for the presidency.  A pronounced free trader, it was remarked of him by an intimate acquaintance, that he was one of the few honest free trade manufacturers of the speaker's acquaintance; this gentleman was of the opinion that Mr. Metcalf would have put his ideas into practice if it had been possible for him to have his way.

Mr. Metcalf was at one time a member of the Commission on sinking Fund of the city of Providence.  He left a monument to his generosity in the well appointed building of the Rhode Island School of Design on Waterman street. This school was erected as a tribute to the memory of his wife and her devoted labors, and in furtherance of its interests Mr. Metcalf donated the land upon which the building stands and contributed the money which assured its erection.  He was a believer in practical philanthropy and took this means of accomplishing what he believed would benefit hundreds who would be permitted, because of his gift, to enjoy privileges which otherwise could hardly have come within their reach.  The appreciation of the privileges and advantages of this school is best attested by the patronage which it has had.  As a business man of many interests, as a man who performed his public duties with unswerving integrity and unquestioning fidelity, as a citizen who never forgot local interests in the larger questions which demanded his attention, as a friend, and intelligent Christian gentleman who recognized his duty to his fellow-citizens in general, Providence had reason to be proud of Jesse Metcalf, and he was honored in his native city by all who knew him.

On November 22, 1852, Mr. Metcalf married Helen Adelia Rowe, of Providence, who died March 1, 1895.  They were the parents of the following children: 1.  Eliza G., married May 27, 1880, Dr. Gustav Radeke, of Providence, whom she survives.  2.  Stephen O., treasurer of the Wanskuck Company; married, Dec. 2, 1886, Esther Henrietta Pierce, who was born Nov. 26, 1862, daughter of George and Esther Pierce; they are the parents of three children:  i. Helen Pierce, born Sept. 3, 1887;  ii. George Pierce, born June 13, 1890; iii.  Houghton Pierce, born Aug. 12, 1891. 3.  Sophia, wife of the Hon. William C. Baker.  4.  Jesse H., president of the Wanskuck Company; married (first) Harriet D. Thurston, who died in 1902, daughter of Benjamin and Cornelia D. Thurston; they are the parents of one daughter, Cornelia, born Sept. 28, 1892; he married (second) Louisa Dexter Sharpe, daughter of Lucian and Louisa (Dexter) Sharpe. 5.  Manton Bradley, born June 26, 1864; was a student at Brown University for two years; in the fall of 1881 he went to New York to become manager of the sales department of the Wanskuck Company, and has since remained at the head of the New York office; he married, April 28, 1886, Susan Maud Browning, of New York, daughter of Theodore and Susan (Wilcox) Browning; their children are:  i. Jesse, born Sept. 10, 1887; ii. Manton B., Jr., born Dec. 7, 1892; iii. Rowe Browning, born May 6, 1900, resides at Orange, N. J.



p. 342 - 343:

THE RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN, of which Eliza Greene (Metcalf) Radeke, A. M., is president, was incorporated April 5, 1877, and was formally opened the following year.  The broad principles stated in its constitution well express the character of the work undertaken by the corporation and instructors.

These purposes are:  First, the instruction of artisans in drawing, painting, modeling and designing, that may successfully apply the principles of art to the requirements of trade and manufactures.  Second, the systematic training of students in the practice of art, that they may understand its principles, give instruction to others, or become artists. Third, the general advancement of art education by the exhibition of works of art and art studies, and by lectures on art.  In the administration of the school all these purposes are treated as of equal importance.

The gradual and healthy development of the school to its present position in connection with the artistic and in industrial development of the State is evidence of the sound basis upon which it was founded.  During its forty-two years' existence no essential change has been found necessary in the aims originally proposed by the founders of the school, although various courses of study have been extended and broadened, and new courses have been added to meet the requirements of educational advancement and to strengthen the quality of students' work.  The school awards its diploma for the satisfactory completion of its regular courses in drawing, painting, modeling, architecture, interior decoration, in decorative, mechanical and textile design and textile chemistry, jewelry and silversmithing, and in normal art, and also affords opportunity for the special study of drawing and design by any person competent to enter its day or evening classes.

Officers of the Corporation are as follows:  1917-18, Mrs. Gustav Radeke, president;  Theodore Francis Green, vice-president; G. Alder Blumer, M. D., secretary;  Stephen O. Metcalf, treasurer. The executive committee are as follows:  Mrs. Gustav Radeke, officio; Howard Hoppin, William Carey Poland, Theodore Francis Green, Walter E. Ranger, Albert D. Mead.  The museum committee are as follows: Mrs. Gustav Radeke, officio; Sydney R. Burleigh, Howard L. Clark, William T. Aldrich, William C. Loring, Stephen O. Metcalf, L. Earle Rowe, secretary. The library committee are as follows:  Mrs. Gustav Radeke, ex-officio; Mrs. Jesse H. Metcalf, L. Earle Rowe, George P. Winship, William E. Brigham. The finance committee is as follows:  Mrs. Gustav Radeke, ex-officio; Henry D. Sharpe, Stephen O. Metcalf, James Richardson.  The nominating committee are as follows:  G. Alder Blumer, M D., Stephen O. Metcalf, Howard O. Sturges, John O. Ames, Webster Knight. The auditing committee are as follows:  Preston H. Gardner, James Richardon. The trustees are as follows:  1917-23, Miss Lida Shaw King, G. Alder Blumer, M. D.; 1916-22, Howard Hoppin, Harold W. Ostby;  1915-21, Howard O. Stuges, William Wurts White;  1914-20, William T. Aldrich, Henry D. Sharpe; 1913-19, Jesse M. Metcalf, Mrs. Gustav Radeke; 1912-18, Howard L. Clark, Theodore Francis Green.

The Rhode Island School of Design has 126,990 square feet of floor space devoted to the work of its school and Museum. The main building, located on Waterman street, contains the Museum, the offices of administration, the Library, rooms for the departments of Drawing, Decorative Design and Architecture, and a Student's Social Room.  Memorial Hall on Benefit street contains rooms for the Department of Sculpture, the Beaux Arts Architects Atelier class, and other class rooms.  In addition, this building has a large hall seating 800 people.  West Hall, on North Main street, contains the departments of Jewelry and Silversmithing, Normal Art, Painting, and the Carpentry Shop.  The Jesse Metcalf Memorial building on North Main street contains the Department of Textile Design and the laboratories of Textile Chemistry and Dyeing.  The Mechanical building contains the class rooms and machine shop of the Department of Mechanical Design.

The Museum consists of eight galleries, three of which contain oil and water-color paintings and engravings; two contain a large collection of casts of the masterpieces of classic and Renaissance sculpture; one contains a fine collection of autotypes illustrating the history of painting; one is devoted to collections of Japanese pottery, metal work, lacquer, and textiles; one contains a collection of Greeke vases and peasant pottery. The Colonial House, built by Stephen O. Metcalf, Esq., forms a continuation of these galleries,  and contains the Pendleton collection of antique furniture, china, textiles, and paintings.  One of the rooms of this house contains the collection of paintings, china, glass, and silver bequeathed by Mrs. Hope Brown Russell, and collected by her mother, Mrs. Anna A. Ives.

In addition to the permanent collection in the Museum three hundred and eighty-seven special loan exhibitions have been shown in the galleries since the school occupied the new building on Waterman street.  These exhibitions have given the people of Providence an opportunity to see representative collections of paintings and sculpture by many American artists.  Eight large loan exhibitions of paintings by great French and Dutch artists have been held, and architectural work has also been shown.  For the use of students, exhibitions of the work done in the leading arts schools and drawings in line and color and of printed reproductions have been held from time to time.  During the year 1917-18 the number of visitors to the Museum
registered was 79,146.  The number of students enrolled in the classes was 1,218.  The attendance in the Library was 7,388.

Eliza Greene (Metcalf) Radeke, A. M., president of the Corporation of the Rhode Island School of Design, is a daughter of Jesse and Helen Adelia (Rowe) Metcalf, her father's name and memory perpetuated in the Jesse Metcalf Memorial building, a department of the institution over which, since 1913, the daughter has been the executive head.  She was born in Augusta, Ga., December 11, 1854, but later came to New England, her preparatory education being obtained in the Stockbridge School, Providence, R. I. She next entered Vassar College, whence she was graduated A. B., class of 1876, and four years later, on May 27, 1880, married Gustav Radeke, M. D., a physician of Providence, who died June 11, 1892.  In 1913, Mrs. Radeke was elected president of the Corporation of the Rhode Island School of Design, an office she has ably filled.  She is a member of the woman's advisory committee of the Woman's College, Brown University, and a director of the American Federation of Arts.  In 1914, Brown University conferred upon her the honorary degree, A. M.  In religious faith she is a Unitarian; a devotee of out-of-door recreation; a lady gracious, gentle, and well-loved.



p. 343 - 344:

TITO ANGELONI, M. D.  --  Born in Italy, and educated in her classical and professional institutions, Dr. Angeloni also acquired hospital experience in Naples, and there practiced his profession until coming to the United States.  Since 1906, he has practiced in Providence, R. I., and has there established a good reputation and won a position as a physician of skill and honor.  He is a son of Antonio and Teresa (Martino) Angeloni, both residing in Italy, the father a retired farmer and real estate owner.  Tito Angeloni was born in Recchetta al Volturno, Italy, January 21, 1879.  He was educated in the schools of the city of Naples, entering the medical department, University of Naples, after completing collegiate courses.  During his years of medical study at the University, he also was connected with two hospitals of Naples, acting as interne as part of his medical education. He was awarded his degree M. D. in 1905, and the following year came to the United States, locating in the city of Providence, R. I., where he has since been engaged in general practice, his offices at No. 404 Branch avenue.

Dr. Angeloni is medical examiner for the five orders of which he is a member:  Society of St. Rocco, Fraternal Order of America, Frabelli Baudicro, St. Antonio, and Princiyedi Napoli.  In politics he is a Republican, and in religious faith, a Roman Catholic, a member of St. Ann's parish.  He married in Rome, Italy, October 30, 1913, Teresa Ziroli, having returned to Italy in 1913, for further medical study, and coming back to Providence the same  year with his bride.  Another son of Antonio and Teresa (Martino) Angeloni, Edward, resides in Providence. Dr. Angeloni is a member of the Italian Medical Corps, on immigration ships.



p. 344:

GENERAL MACHINERY COMPANY  --  The General Machinery Company, of Providence, came into existence in July, 1917, through consolidation of the Enterprise Machine Company and members of the McMeehan Engineering Staff. The Enterprise Machine Company, S. S. Avak, president, Harry M. Burt, treasurer, Eric L. Anderson, secretary, began business in 1916 as manufacturers of automobile specialties at 79 Clifford street, Providence.

Robert G. McMeehan, with A. E. Rylander and John L. Casey, organized the McMeehan Engineering Staff, located at No. 29 Weybosset street. While looking for a manufacturing location, they were brought into contact with Messrs. Burt and Avak, who were seeking associates to take Mr. Anderson's share, the latter having severed his connection with the Enterprise Machine Company to join the United States Aviation Service, where he has since made a splendid record, his feat in bringing down three German airplanes at one time being one of his principal achievements.  A consolidation of interests was effected in July, 1917, with H. M. Burt, president; S. S. Avak, vice-president; Robert G. McMeehan, treasurer; Andrew E. Rylander, secretary and general manager, and John L. Casey, chairman of board of directors.  In April, 1918, George A. Jepherson was elected president to fill the vacancy caused by Mr. Avak's resignation.  The company manufacturers precision toolroom specialties, fine tools and machinery for intensive production, also contract work.  The organization is well balanced and sound, and the shop is rated as the most completely equipped of its size in the State.

Mr. Jepherson, president, has been prominent in city and State affairs, conducts a large lumber business and is director of the Westminster Bank. Robert G. McMeehan has held executive positions in the textile industry for years, and was several years president of the East Providence Town Council and is now State Senator.  He is in the mercantile business in East Providence.

Mr. Casey is a practicing attorney, while the active management of the plant is under the supervision of Mr. Rylander.  The latter, is an expert mechanic and machine designer, and a specialist in intensive production methods.

During the war the concern was actively engaged in the manufacture of ordnance for the Navy and other government work essential to the carrying on of the war.



p. 344 - 345:

Newton D. ArnoldNEWTON DARLING ARNOLD, deceased, for many years treasurer, secretary and general manager of the great Rumford Chemical Works of the city of Providence, R. I., was a lineal descendant of the Arnold family of Rhode Island. The family has been prominent in Smithfield, which was originally a part of Providence, since the second American generation, and the name of Arnold has been intimately and honorably connected with the growth and development of the community, and has played an active and distinctive part in the industrial, business and commercial interests of New England during the past century.  The Arnold coat-of-arms is as follows:

Arms - Gules, a chevron ermine between three pheons or, (for Arnold), A canton per pale azure and sable, three fleur-di-lis or, (for Ynyr).
Crest - A demi-lion rampant gules, holding in its paws a lozenge or.
Motto - Mihi gloria Cessum.
Newton D. Arnold was born in Millville, Mass., December 8, 1843, died at his summer home at Weekapaug, R. I., August 13, 1916, the son of William Buffum and Matilda Webb (Darling) Arnold.  He received his early educational training in the public schools of the town, and completed his studies in the high school.  Because the opportunity which a town of the size of Millville offered was naturally limited, young Arnold decided to go to Providence, even then on the rise toward manufacturing supremacy in the State of Rhode Island.  For a short period after his coming to Providence, he was employed as a clerk in a coal office and later entered into the dry goods business. In 1866 he became bookkeeper and clerk in the corporation in which he later became treasurer, secretary and general manager.  Mr. Arnold owed his rise in the Rumford Chemical Works solely to his own efforts.  His success was essentially self-made, and he worked up to the position of honor and responsibility which he held, from an unimportant post among the clerks of the establishment.  His rise was gradual and through thorough acquaintance with the details of the management of a business of the nature of the Rumford Chamical Works, he became invaluable to the corporation which to-day owes much of its development and growth to principles of business and manufacture which he advocated during his term of office.  He became treasurer, secretary and director, July 20, 1877, and continued in control of the business until his resignation in July, 1913, a period of thirty-six years.  He remained a director until the time of his death, having been actively connected with the corporation for fifty years.

Mr. Arnold became a well known figure in the financial business circles of the city of Providence, and New England.  He was prominent in several financial institutions of the city.  He was a director at one time of the Manufacturers' National Bank, Manufacturers' Trust Company and Union Trust Company.  During a part of the time he was connected with the Manufacturers' National Bank he was its president.  He was also a director of the Industrial Trust Company for a period, and at the time of his death was a director of the National Exchange Bank, while for many years previous he devoted a large portion of his time to the affairs of the Providence Gas Company, in which concern he was greatly interested.

Newton Darling Arnold was perhaps one of the most important  figures in the ranks of Free Masonry in the State of Rhode Island, and was actively identified with almost every movement of prominence in that body.  He became a member of the Masonic fraternity early in life, and immediately connected himself with work in behalf of the order.  He was made a Master Mason, February 13, 1865, in St. John's Lodge, No. 1, Providence, R. I.  He held various offices in that body, among others, that of secretary, the duties of which he performed with great acceptance.  He was elected worshipful master of the lodge, December 23, 1874, and served one year.  At the annual session of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island, held May 21, 1883, he was appointed deputy grand master.  On year later he was elected grand master; he served one year, and declined reelection. He received the Royal Arch Degree, October 26, 1865, in Providence Chapter, in which he has since held membership.  He received the degrees of the Cryptic Rite, January 12, 1866,  in Providence Chapter. He received the order of Knights Templar, April 23, 1866, in St. John's Commandery, No. 1, of Providence.  After filling lesser offices, he was elected eminent commander in December, 1877, and served one year. He received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, January 20, 1869, in Providence Consistory.  He served as most wise master of his chapter of Rose Croix and as commander-in-chief of his consistory. He was honored by being advanced to the thirty-third and last degree in Scottish Rite Masonry, June 17, 1870.  On September 20, 1882, he was crowned an active member of the Supreme Council, and two years later was elected deputy for Rhode Island, which office he held until 1910. He was grand treasurer general of the Supreme Council from 1891 until 1912. He was a member of the Hope Club of Providence and the Squantum Club of Providence.

Newton Darling Arnold married, on March 21, 1866, Caroline Louisa Gee, daughter of John and Barness (Randall) Gee of Providence, R. I.  The Gee family is a very old though not numerous one in New England.  Mrs. Arnold died in 1909.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold are: 1.  Alice Gertrude, married James M. R. Taylor, of Providence, and resides at No. 24 Stimson avenue; they have one daughter, Katharine. 2.  Clarence N., of Providence.



p. 345:

PASQUALE ROMANO  --  When admitted to the Rhode Island bar, in 1912, Mr. Romano completed a course of preparation which began in the United States in 1895 and continued without interruption in New York City and in Providence, R. I., until he overcame all difficulties, and hope ended in fruition.  He did not come to American shores a supplicant but came thoroughly equipped intellectually, and able at once to begin the making over process which has resulted in the making of an American citizen, loyal, patriotic, and useful. He is a native son of Italy, born in Spinoso, Basilicata, Italy.  His parents were Joseph and Filomene Romano.

Joseph Romano, of Spinoso, Basilicata, Italy, was a soldier of his native land serving in the Garabaldi National Guards of 1860, when independence was won, holding the rank of first lieutenant.  He was a man of local consequence, and for many years served as mayor of Spinoso.  He spent several years in business in New York City, but the latter years of his life he spent in Providence, R. I., and died there in 1911 aged about seventy years.  His wife, Filomene, died in Providence in 1908, aged sixty-five years.  Two daughters are deceased, the only member of the family now living being the son, Pasquale, of further mention.

Pasquale Romano was born in 1875 and was educated in the best of Italian schools and colleges.  He prepared in a private school in his native city, Spinoso, passing thence to the college, Silvio Pellico, in Giggiano, finishing with a three years course at the college of Victor Emanuel II, at Naples.  The college is practically a university fitting students for any profession they may elect.  After graduation in 1893 the young man spent two years in Italy, then in 1895 came to the United States, remaining in New York City until 1904.  He at once began the study of English in evening high school and was a grivate instructor in Italian, acquiring his own knowledge of the English tongue from the students he taught. He was also for years interpreter for Prince Street Municipal Court, and while filling that position began the study of law in the office of Lewis Karasick.  In 1904 he removed to Providence, Rhode Island, entering the law office of W. B. W. Hallett with whom he remained eighteen months. For two years thereafter he was engaged in the law office of Frank Steere, and at the same time began a course of law, studying with the Chicago Correspondence School, completing a two-year course covering a period of six months, then spent three years in the law office of Washington R. Prescott.  While preparing himself for admission to the bar, he acted as court interpreter, at the Federal Street Evening Grammar School eight years, 1905-13. He was admitted to the Rhode Island bar in 1912, and on May 6 of that year, began private practice in Providence, R. I.

Mr. Romano is a member of the Rhode Island Bar Association, and is highly esteemed by his brethren of the profession.  He has fairly won the position he holds and in all things is a public spirited citizen,  giving in loyal service ungrudging return for the benefits he has received. He is a member of the Sons of Italy, the Society of Basilicata, the Basilicata Club, and attends the Church of the Holy Ghost (Roman Catholic).

Mr. Romano married, in Boston, Mass., in April, 1902, Maria Cornelia Berenice, daughter of Antonio Berenice, a Boston business man.


Continued


These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcription and pictures 2001-2 by Beth Hurd


Mail e-mail