p. 443 - 444:
SNOW, J. Frank, was born in Central Falls, R. I., in 1857, and with his parents moved to Pawtucket in 1863. He attended the Pawtucket public and high schools. His business life began in the jewelry manufacturies of William C. Greene, and T. Quagle & Co., at Providence. After eight years' experience he abandoned the jewelry line. In 1883 he went into business in a printing office with his brother in Central Falls and in 1885 came to Pawtucket, locating on East avenue. He made a specialty of advertising novelties and built up a prosperous business. In 1891 he with his brother organized the Eastern Advertising Co., of which he is treasurer and manager, with E. L. Freeman, president, and E. W. Snow, also a treasurer and secretary. In 1892 he moved to larger quarters in the Bridge mill. The company is now located at 730 Central avenue in its own factory, which was built in the spring of 1894, and the concern is recognized as a leader in advertising novelties and has an extensive trade throughout the United States.
In politics Mr. Snow is a Republican. In 1882 he was married to Mabel D. Eldredge of East Providence, and to them one child was born, M. Estella. His first wife died in 1890, and he was married to E. Estella Guild of Pawtucket in 1892 and by this union there is one child, Marion Frances.
The grandfather of J. Frank was engaged in the express and teaming business in Central Falls and died in that city. His father was born in South Dartmouth, Mass., moved to Central Falls, and carried on business as a grocer in Pawtucket, where he at present resides. The Snow family is of English origin.
SNOW, Robert J., was born in Providence in 1828, and was the oldest child of Robert T. and Betsey Elizabeth (Burr) Snow. He came to Pawtucket with his parents in 1831. His education he secured mainly by his own exertions, as he worked for various persons and at the same time attended the public schools in Pawtucket. When 17 years old he was apprenticed to John B. Read and learned the trade of a tinsmith in a shop on Main street which occupied the location where the eating house of S. B. Havens & Co. now is. When he became a journeyman he worked for a number of other tinsmiths. From July 16, 1850, until 1854, he worked for Sumner Fifield. In 1854 he went, via the Isthmus of Panama, to the California gold fields. He dug for gold in the Gilroy Valley and in the Sierras, and met with some success, but not enough to satisfy him. So he went to San Francisco and started in again at his trade. While in California he hitched up the first team on the famous overland route to Kansas, which carried the United States mail, and which met with many thrilling experiences in the line of stage coach robberies. In 1858 he returned east, via Panama, to Pawtucket. Here he entered the employ of Cudworth, Fifield & Co., in the tinsmith business, and he has since continued with this firm and their successors, Cudworth, Carpenter & Fifield, and the E. P. Carpenter Co. For many years he has been the chief manager of the tinsmith department of the E. P. Carpenter Co., and he is a silent partner in the company. He has developed the business, which is now many times larger than when he first took hold of it. The firm manufactures all sorts of utensils from tin, copper and other sheet metals, and also does general jobbing and contracting for tin roofing and all other metal work upon buildings.
For many years Mr. Snow was a very active Democrat, but always refused to accept office. He has been a member of the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association since its organization. He ran with the machine for many years, and participated in the run of the Delgue from the house on Water street to Exchange place, Providence, when the distance was made in 38 minutes. At the big fire at that time he had a very narrow escape from death by falling walls. He is a member of Barney Merry Lodge of Masons and of Good Samaritan Lodge, No. 8, I. O. O. F., in which he is now Past Noble Grand, Past Chief Patriarch and Past High Priest. He belongs to the Daughters of Rebecca, Eureka Lodge, No. 5, K. of P., in which he is a past officer. For many years he was a member of the Pawtucket Light Guard.
SPAULDING, George Henry, was born Aug. 27, 1840, in Smithfield, R. I., and is the third child of William W. and Miranda (Arnold) Spaulding. He attended the public schools of Lincoln, R. I., until he was 15 years old. He was first employed in a grocery store, but subsequently learned the trade of a silversmith. In 1861 he joined Company B, 1st Rhode Island Cavalry, and was in many important battles during the civil war. He acted as orderly for Generals Sheridan, Hooker, Meade and Abercrombe and was honorably discharged Aug. 3, 1865. He then went to work at his trade for the Gorham Manufacturing Co., Providence. Within three years he was made foreman of the knife department. In 1871 he went with the Whitney Manufacturing Co., Attleboro, having charge of the knife department. In 1876 he opened a general provision store at 94 Hawes street, Central Falls. In 1887, in conjunction with his two brothers, he established the Central Falls Ice Co. Subsequently he purchased the interest of his partners and now conducts the business alone at 94 Hawes street, Central Falls.
In politics he is a Republican; has been one of the firewards, and at the present time is a member of the Central Falls city council. He attends the High street Universalist church. He is a member of the R. S. of G. F. and Ballou Post, G. A. R. Sept. 24, 1874, he was married to Abbie W. Thayer, of Woonsocket, by which union there are two children: Walter T., b. Sept. 9, 1877; Bessie L., b. Sept. 5, 1880. Mr. Spaulding comes of an old New England family. His mother was b. Oct. 31, 1815; his father was b. 1808, d. Feb. 22, 1850, at Smithfield.
SPENCER, Charles L., sixth child of Charles and Lucy (Dewey) Spencer, was born June 12, 1829, at Windsor, Conn., where he attended the public schools until he was 16 years old. His first employment was on his father's farm. In 1850 he was employed as a switchman on the Providence and Worcester railroad. He continued in the employ of this railroad for some thirty years. In 1880 he was appointed manager of the H. D. Spencer coal and wood business at Central Falls. In 1892 he opened on his own account, coal and wood yards on the corner of Foundry and Railroad streets, Central Falls, which business he now conducts. In politics he is an independent. Jan. 8, 1853, he was married to Elma Williams, of Pawtucket, by which union there are two children: Ellen Emelia, b. Oct. 4, 1854; Hattie Lillian, b. Aug. 13, 1859; his first wife died May 14, 1876. He was married to Abbey F. Dennis, of Patience Island, Narragansett Bay, R. I., from which union there is no issue.
SPENCER, Henry L., the son of Job. L. and the grandson of Gideon L. Spencer, was born Oct. 15, 1860, in North Providence. He obtained his education in a private school and in the public and high schools of Pawtucket. After his school days were over he was employed with his father in the manufacture of yarn in the old Slater mill, which had became the property of the Spencer family. In 1881 he started as a side issue the bicycle business, and is the pioneer dealer in Pawtucket and the second in the state. He used the structure adjoining the Old Slater Mill for a sale and wareroom, and still continues to do business at that location. For several seasons he has used the top floor of the old mill for a bicycle riding school. This old building has had carried on within its walls, during the space of a little over one hundred years, many varieties of industry, and the range from the first successful cotton spinning machinery to the bicycle represents an epitome of the progress of the century.
Mr. Spencer has seen many competitors enter the field and retire - the business not warranting heavy expenses or reckless display because of its short season of real profit in the spring and summer months. By a conservative and modest conduct of his business, with the experience of fifteen years in the trade, and the ever growing confidence of his patrons, Mr. Spencer hopes to continue with reasonable profit to himself and satisfaction to his customers. During the winter months Mr. Spencer travels the Middle and New England states appointing agents and looking after the wholesale trade of one of the leading bicycle manufacturing companies of the country.
Mr. Spencer deals in some of the finest bicycles made in this country. He is agent for the Sterling, made by the Sterling Cycle Works, Chicago; and the Cleveland, made by H. A. Lozier & Co., Thompson, Conn., and Toledo, Ohio. He is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church and belongs to the T. K. Club, and the Rhode Island Wheelmen of Providence. In politics he is a Republican. For some years he was clerk of the third ward, and served at the first election when the Australian ballot was used. April 9, 1890, at St. Elizabeth, N. J., he was married to Margaret S. Allen, by which union there are two sons.
Gideon L. Spencer, the grandfather of Henry L., was one of the men who contributed greatly to the upbuilding of the business of Pawtucket in the first half of the present century. He was one of Samuel Slater's first Sunday school scholars, worked when a child in the old mill, then became a tailor and carried on business as such for many years, until retiring from active commercial life.
SPENCER, Micah W., was born in 1854 at Newport, R. I., and is the son of Thomas A. and Matilda R. (Read) Spencer. After completing his schooling at the Newport high school he was a salesman successively in the dry goods stores of Edward Mason & Co., H. W. Ladd & Co., and Shepard & Co., Providence, and so far progressed in the business that he became an expert buyer of laces. In 1886 he came to Pawtucket to the mills of D. Goff & Son, as cashier and paymaster, which position he still holds. Mr. Spencer is a Republican, and is a member of the Garfield Club. In 1893 he was elected secretary of the Pawtucket License Commission, which position he at present occupies. He belongs to Enterprise Lodge, I. O. O. F., and Pawtucket Council Royal Arcanum. In 1881 he was married to Emma E. Blanchard, of Rehoboth, Mass., and they have one child, Clifford P., b. in 1883. The Spencer family originated in England and settled in Rhode Island several generations since. Thomas, the grandfather, and Thomas A., the father of Micah, were born in East Greenwich.
SPRING, Merrill, son of Elisha and Catherine (Wheeler) Spring, was born in Hubbardstown, Mass., in 1821. His parents moved to Grafton, where he attended the public schools. When 15 years old he went to work in a shoe factory at Grafton, and two years later entered the cotton mills of H. & S. B. Chace, learned the business, and became overseer. In 1843 he was transferred to the mills at Valley Falls, where he remained some 25 years. About 1868 he was appointed superintendent of the mills of the Abbott Run Co., which position he held until about 1876, when the water privilege was taken by Pawtucket and the mills were permanently closed. He then took charge of the company's property and tenements, which position he now holds. In politics he is a Republican. He attends the Universalist church. In 1843 he was married to Louisa Clapp of Grafton, by which union there are three children: Charles Edgar, Ella V. and Mary I. Mr. Spring lives in the old Titus house in Valley Falls, which was built early in this century.
STANLEY, Arthur Willis, fourth child of John Herbert and Cornelia (Draper) Stanley, was born Sept. 30, 1847, in Attleboro, Mass. He received his early education in the public schools of Attleboro, and Irvington, N. Y., whither his parents removed in 1859. In 1865 his parents returned to Attleboro and in 1867 he came to Pawtucket and entered the employ of Draper, Atwood & Co., soap manufacturers. Mr. Draper purchased his partner's interests, and in 1871 Mr. Draper and Mr. Stanley formed a copartnership under the firm name of J. O. Draper & Co., and the business is carried on at the present time at the original location, 165 and 166 Front street, corner Clay street. Mr. Stanley was one of the original members of the manufacturing jewelry firm of Kent & Stanley. The Kent & Stanley building, corner Aborn and Sabin streets, Providence, the most modern building for manufacturing purposes in this vicinity, was named after this firm.
In 1881-2 Mr. Stanley was a member of the Pawtucket town council. He is a member of the Congregational Society of Central Falls, the Pawtucket Y. M. C. A., the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, the Knights of Honor, and is a charter member of A. O. U. W. Sept. 17, 1873, he was married to Eunice Shepard, daughter of Henry F. May and Elizabeth (Cushman) Shepard of Providence, by which union there have been six children: Henry W., b. Sept. 18, 1875; May Cushman, b. Sept. 20, 1876; John Lawrence, b. Aug. 3, 1880, d. Nov. 9, 1890; Joseph Allerton, b. May 10, 1882; Eunice Elizabeth, b. May 20, 1888; Arthur Lincoln, b. April 23, 1893.
Mr. Stanley represents the ninth generation of his family in America, many of whom have been distinguished in the public affairs of New England from the earliest settlement. His mother was a lineal descendant of the celebrated Governor William Bradford. Both his parents were remarkable for their excellent constitutions; his father lived to be 82 years old and his mother is still alive.
STEARNS, Henry Augustus, vice-president and superintendent of the Union Wadding Co., was born Oct. 23, 1825, in Billerica, Mass. He attended the Andover Academy, but at an early age was thrown upon his own resources and first engaged in the employment of making shoes, but finding this occupation neither congenial nor profitable he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and established the first cotton wadding manufactory in the West. This business, subsequently incorporated under the name of the Stearns & Foster Co., is a going concern at the present time. Mr. Stearns sold his interest to this brother in 1850 and went to California, where he started the first steam laundry in that state and did a large business. He also engaged in various enterprises, among which were operating a steam ferry between San Francisco and Oakland, of which he was half owner and commander. This was the first steam ferry between those cities. He also operated a saw mill in San Jose, where was prepared the redwood used in the construction of buildings; kept a store in the town of Gilroy, and was engaged in the cattle business. In 1853 he returned to Cincinnati and again engaged in the wadding business, but owing to ill health left in 1857 and engaged in the manufacture of hardware in the city of Buffalo, N. Y., where in the great panic of that year he lost nearly all his property. He then went to Illinois, where he operated a saw mill and farm in Sangamon county. In 1861 he came to Pawtucket and engaged in the wadding business with Darius Goff. From this modest beginning has grown the Union Wadding Co., which, in 1871, was incorporated, and of which Mr. Stearns is vice-president and superintendent. In 1891-2 he was lieutenant-governor of the state of Rhode Island.
Mr. Stearns was prominent in public affairs and represented the town of Lincoln in both branches of the state legislature, being a member of the house from 1878 to 1881, and a member of the senate from 1881 to 1884, and again a member of the senate in 1887 and 1888. He was a member of the committee which investigated the state institutions. He introduced the act creating the State Home and School, was chairman of the board of commissioners to select and purchase the site and buildings, and has been chairman of the board of control since its organization.
In June 25, 1856, he was married to Kate, daughter of J. H. and Charlotte Smith Falconer, of Hamilton, Ohio, by which union there have been eight children: Deshler Falconer, b. Aug. 7, 1857; George Russell, b. Jan. 19, 1860; Walter Henry, b. Jan. 3, 1862; Kate Russell, b. July 21, 1864; Charles Falconer, b. July 27, 1866; Henry Foster, b. March 3, 1868; Anna Russell, b. Jan. 4, 1873, d. Feb. 7, 1874; Caroline Cranston, b. Jan. 18, 1875.
Mr. Stearns is in the seventh generation of his family in America, being a descendant of Isaac Stearns who came to this country from England in 1630 and settled in Watertown, Mass. The family originated in England, and descended from Richard Sterne, Archbishop of York, Nottinghamshire, England.
STEPHANS, Jacob, third child of Henry and Carlotta (Wagner) Stephans, was born at Rehborn, Germany, Aug. 8, 1854. He attended school in his native town, and in 1869 emigrated to America and located at Woonsocket where he was employed in the rubber work. In 1876 he worked at Forestdale and later returned to Woonsocket where he went to work for George Miller. In 1878 he came to Pawtucket and engaged with Cole Bros., later with W. H. Haskell & Co., and in 1881 with the Pawtucket Manufacturing Co., in which latter establishment he had charge of the press room, and subsequently was placed in charge of the bolt department. In June, 1895, he associated himself with Charles H. Bloodgood and organized the Pawtucket Nut Co., of which he is manager, located on Jenks avenue, rear of 170 Main street. In politics he is a Republican, and in 1894 and 1895 was councilman from the fourth ward. He belongs to the Odd Fellows, Veteran Fireman's Association, and the A. O. U. W. In 1874 he was married to Jennie Cameron of Pawtucket, by which union there are four children: Sarah, b. 1876; Albert, b. 1878; Carlotta, b. 1882; Isabelle, b. 1886.
STILLMAN, George Courtland, was born Dec. 7, 1842, at North Stonington, Conn., and is the only son of David and Rebecca (Brown) Stillman. He attended the public schools of his native town and the high school at Westerly, R. I. When 18 years old he became a school teacher, which occupation he followed for five years. In 1867 he joined with Edwin A. Lewis is opening a grocery store. Four years later he bought out Mr. Lewis's interest and conducted the business alone until 1880 when he sold out and went into the employ of A. B. McCrillis & Co., wholesale commission merchants, Providence, as a traveling salesman, which position he retained for seven years. In 1887 he came to Pawtucket and established a commission business which is now conducted at 12 and 14 Phillips street, Central Falls.
Mr. Stillman has been active in politics, and was a member of the Lincoln town council for two years. He is also prominent in church work, being clerk of the Broad Street Baptist church, president of the church society, and has been leader of the choir for ten years. He is Past Master of Jenks Lodge, A. F. and A. M. of Central Falls, and Past Commander of Holy Sepulchre Commandery, Knights Templars, Pawtucket. Aug. 25, 1865, he was married to Louisa A. Coe of New Shoreham, R. I.
STINESS, Samuel G., was born in East Douglas, Mass., Sept. 4, 1829, and was the second son of Philip Bessom and Mary (Marsh) Stiness. He came to Providence with his parents when nine years old, and there he received his education in the public schools. He then served an apprenticeship to the jewelry industry trade with Sackett, Davis & Potter, and worked as a journeyman for several years. In 1853, when 24 years of age, he began on his own account the manufacture of watch key pipes, which he carried on until the advent of stem winding watches and the outbreak of the war of the rebellion both operated to destroy this industry. At the first call for troops he enlisted, being commissioned with the rank of captain. After recovering from an attack of smallpox, he with Henry Pearce mustered a company in Providence, and he was dispatched to Washington by Governor Sprague with a detachment of these recruits. Here he was again stricken down with sickness, and on his recovery his constitution was so impaired that he had to give up all hope of further service in the army.
In the summer of 1864 Mr. Stiness accepted a position in the East Station of Providence Gas Company, and showed such aptness and adaptability that at the end of five years he was recommended for appointment as agent and general manager of the Pawtucket Gas Company. This position he held until his death. Under his control the works were thoroughly reorganized, the most modern and approved appliances were adopted, and during his connection with the company its capital was increased from $100,000 to $600,000, and its gas mains extended from eleven to seventy miles. He was one of the founders of the New England Association of Gas Engineers, of which for three years he was president. He was also a member of the Guild of Gas Managers, of the Society of Gas Lighting, and was vice-president of the American Gas Light Association for several years. Many improvements in the methods of manufacturing gas were devised by him, and he was the author of a number of able papers delivered before the various gas associations on matters pertaining to the industry. Nov. 5, 1894, Mr. Stiness was killed instantly, in the early evening, while on his way home, by being struck by a train at the Broad street crossing, Pawtucket.
In the Masonic Order, Mr. Stiness attained great prominence. In 1864 he united with What Cheer Lodge, Providence; but four years later severed his connection to assist in forming Corinthian Lodge, of which he was master in 1873-4. He was deputy grand master of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island in 1887-8, was a member of the Providence Royal Arch Chapter, the Grand Chapter, the Providence Council of Royal and Select Masters and was eminent commander of Calvary Commandery, No. 13, Knights Templars. He was also a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, and of the Providence Marine Association. In politics Mr. Stiness was a Republican. He belonged to the Episcopal church. He was married in 1854 to Sarah, daughter of James Hutchinson, and she, with two of the three sons who were born to them, still survives.
A number of the ancestors of Mr. Stiness were conspicuous in the revolution. One of the brothers of Mr. Stiness, John H., is an associate justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Another brother, Philip B., was for many years clerk of the Sixth Division District Court, Providence.
illustration on page 449: photo, Brass Foundry of William Newell, started in 1845 in Cumberland, R. I. photo, Homestead of William Newell, built in 1776 by his grandfather Jason Newell.
STRATTON, Arthur Talmadge, first child of John T. and Anna (Wilson) Stratton, was born in West Chazy, Clinton county, New York, Oct. 24, 1854. His parents in 1858 removed to Chateauqay, N. Y., where he attended the public schools. He then took a course at the Franklin Academy, Malone, N. Y., from which he was graduated in 1884. Soon after he entered the University of Vermont, and during part of the time, while pursuing his studies there, was assistant secretary of the Burlington Young Men's Christian Association, thereby meeting some of his college expenses. In 1885 he was a delegate to the conference of college students, at Moody's school, Northfield, when the 'volunteer movement' was inaugurated. He spent some time at the Springfield, Mass., school for training general secretaries. His first field of labor as general secretary was at Middlebury, Vt. He then went to Dover, N. H., where he remained more than three years. Mr. Stratton came to Pawtucket, June, 1891, as general secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association, which position he now holds. The association had been organized but a year and a half when Mr. Stratton undertook its direction, but his thorough methods have placed it in the first rank. It now has finely appointed quarters and a large membership.
Mr. Stratton is a member of the First Free Baptist church. June 25, 1888, he was married to Emma Isabelle Harvey of Middlebury, Vt., by which union there have been three children: Philip Harold, b. July 24, 1889; Arthur T., Jr., b. May 21, 1892, d. April 5, 1894; Ruth Anna, b. June 14, 1894.
THE ADAM SUTCLIFFE CO., at 14 Leather avenue carries on one of the largest book, job and commercial printing establishments in the state. One of the departments is devoted to lithographic, type and plate printing, and another to the manufacture of shipping tags, tickets, gum labels and stationers' specialties. The latter is operated under the name of the Salisbury Manufacturing Co., but is owned by and is a part of the general business of the concern. In 1880 Adam Sutcliffe started in the printing business on North Main street, but the business increased on his hands so rapidly that in 1886 the present company was incorporated. Samuel M. Conant is president and Adam Sutcliffe, secretary and treasurer.
TAYLOR, Jude, is of the second generation of the family in America. His father came from Edenfield, Lancashire, England, in the early part of this century, and arrived in Bridgeport, Conn., under contract with manufacturers of woolen goods, as a finisher of broadcloths, flannels and blankets. Jude was born in Edenfield, Lancashire, England, March 14, 1822, and was the twelfth child of Jude and Elizabeth (Cook) Taylor. Both his parents lived to be over 80 years of age. He came to this country when 15 years of age, landing in Boston on Aug. 12, 1837. He at once joined his father in Pawtucket. His first occupation was a tier boy in the Dunnell printworks, where he remained six months, leaving to learn engraving for calico printing with Samuel Lord in the LeFavour building, rear of the stone building on North Main street. Here he served seven years apprenticeship, and then worked four years as a journeyman. In 1849, in partnership with Charles Payne, he established himself in business as a calico print engraver under the firm name of Payne & Taylor in the LeFavour building, but so rapid was the growth of their enterprise that in four years they were compelled to seek larger quarters and removed to Dr. Manchester's building, rear of North Main street, where they remained until 1856, when they removed into their own building on East avenue, then Pleasant street. At this time they employed a large force of engravers and designers. They continued to prosper until new methods superseded the old, and the demand for their work ceased. In the meantime Payne & Taylor became interested in the manufacture of hair cloth, and in 1863 purchased the plant of the Boston Hair Cloth Co. This business was continued until March, 1893, when the firm was consolidated with the Pawtucket Hair Cloth Co., under the name of the American Hair Cloth Co., of which Mr. Taylor is now vice-president. He is also treasurer of the American Yarn Co., vice-president of the Pawtucket Institution for Savings, and a director of the Pacific National Bank.
Mr. Taylor served on the Pawtucket town council from 1876 to 1881. He has always taken a deep interest in the welfare of his adopted city. In 1846 he was married to Amy T., daughter of Deacon Talbot Jenks of Pawtucket, by which union there were four children: Thomas B., Alice, Louisa, Cathleen and Emma Florence.
TENNEY, Alfred E., of the A. E. Tenney Manufacturing Co., 106 Broad street, Pawtucket, is the only child of Earl and Mary P. (Wheeler) Tenney, and was born March 19, 1834, at Pepperell, Mass. He attended the public schools at Townsend, Mass., until he was 16 years old, after which he learned the machinist trade. In 1861 he came to Providence, was connected with the Providence Tool Co. in the manufacture of firearms and sewing machines for 20 years; then became associated with Capt. William Jeffers in the manufacture of fire engines in Pawtucket. He finally succeeded to the business, and branched out into the manufacture of general and special machinery, and the concern was organized under its present name in 1885. Mr. Tenney is manager of the company. (For an account of the business see page 151).
In politics Mr. Tenney is a Republican. He is a member of the Pilgrim Congregational church, Providence. During the civil war he served as a private in the Providence Home Guards. He was married to Marietta Jewett of Pepperell, Mass., who died in 1869; by this union there were two children: Frederick and Delia E. Mr. Tenney was married a second time to Jane F. Munroe of Providence, by which union there are two children: Alfred E., Jr., and Anna G. Frederick is associated with his father in business.
Mr. Tenney's father was born March 11, 1808, d. April 29, 1839, at Pepperell, Mass., where he carried on the business of a woolen cloth finisher. His grandfather, Samuel Tenney, was b. at Temple, N. H., May 16, 1793, and d. at Pepperell, Mass., Dec. 7, 1825. He was a finisher of home-made woolen cloth and was known as a clothier. The Tenney family originated in England and is of Norman descent. The founder of the family in America, came from the town of Rowley, in Yorkshire, England, and settled in Rowley, Mass., in 1638.
THAYER FAMILY. -- The first of this name to arrive in this country were Richard and Thomas with their families. They were among the first Massachusetts colonists, and came from Braintree, Essex county, England, in 1630. They settled in Massachusetts, and to commemorate their old home, called their settlement Braintree. The records of this town show that Thomas became a freeman and owner of land in 1636, and Richard became a freeman four years later in 1640. The family must have been distinguished in England, as they were granted a coat of arms, record of which can be found in the Heraldic Office, at Lincolnfield, England. The spelling of the name varied at different times, and appears Thaire, Thyer, Thair and Theyer. There is a question about the relationship of Thomas and Robert, but the descendants are from both, as the families intermarried continually.
The Pawtucket branch of the family descends from Thomas, who was the progenitor of a numerous offspring reaching nearly 5000 souls. Every generation produced some member distinguished, either as scholar, jurist, divine, soldier, financier or manufacturer.
Thomas (1) married Margery, in England, and they brought with them three sons named Thomas, Ferdinanda, and Shadrack. It would seem they had no further issue, as a will subsequently made only mentions these three. This will is dated June 21, 1664, and it would appear from it that he had accumulated considerable property, which has continued in the family to the present, passing from generation to generation by inheritance. He died shortly after making the will, as it was admitted to probate Sept. 13, 1665, in Boston, Mass. The line of descent is through:
Ferdinanda (2), second child of Thomas and Margery. He resided with his parents at Braintree, until after his father's dath, when he with others removed to a near plantation called Nipmug (now Mendon), Worcester county, Mass. He was the largest proprietor, and his residence was a little south of the preesent center of the town on the Providence road. He was active and became distinguished both in local and state affairs; amassed a large fortune for those days, and was enabled to leave all his sons farms at his death. Some of them became extensive land owners, and many of their descendants occupy the land to this day. He married Huldah Hayward of Braintree, Mass., by whom he had 12 children, the five first named were born in Braintree, the others in Mendon: Sarah, b. May 21, 1654; Huldah, b. June 27, 1657; Jonathan, b. March 29, 1658; David, b. July 1, 1660, d. Aug. 12, 1674; Naomi, b. Feb. 7, 1662; Thomas, Samuel, Isaac, Josiah, Ebenezer, Benjamin; David, baptized Sept. 17, 1677, d. Sept. 1, 1690; Ferdinanda, d. at Mendon, March 28, 1713. His wife died Sept. 1, 1690. The line of descent is through:
Isaac (3), the eighth child of Ferdinanda and Huldah Hayward. He was a farmer and lived at Mendon, Mass. He was married twice and had 11 children. His first marriage was on April 12, 1691, to Mercy Ward, by which union there were four children: Mary, b. Nov. 2, 1693; Isaac, b. Sept. 24, 1695; Ebenezer, b. Sept. 6, 1697; Comfort, b. Feb. 19, 1700. His first wife died Dec. 18, 1700, and in 1703 he married Mary, by whom he had seven children. It will be noticed that the first child by this wife is called Mary no doubt after the mother, but the first child of Mercy is also called Mary; if she died before the birth of the second Mary, there is no record of it; and it may be assumed that this is a mistake, the first child was undoubtedly called Mercy. The names of the children by the second wife are as follows: Mary, b. Dec. 22, 1704; John, b. May 6, 1706; Nathaniel, b. April 20, 1708; Moses, b. May 10, 1710; Samuel, b. 1713; Joseph, b. 1715; and Ichabod, b. March 17, 1721. His wife died in 1730. The line of descent is through:
Ebenezer (4), third child of Isaac and Mercy Ward. He was a farmer, settled at Bellingham, Mass., married Mary Wheelock, May 9, 1719, and had eight children: Ebenezer, b. June, 1720; Huldah, b. March, 1722; Elizabeth, b. 1724; Micah, b. 1726; Isaac, b. March 11, 1729; Abigail, b. Nov. 11, 1731; Peter, b. 1733; and Lydia, b. 1736. The line of descent is through:
Captain Ebenezer (5), first child of Ebenezer and Mary Wheelock. He took a prominent and active part in public affairs in Bellingham, Mass., where he owned a large farm. He married Hannah Greene of Mendon, Mass, April 24, 1734, and had six children: Hannah, b. Dec. 3, 1735; Ebenezer, b. May 21, 1737; Lydia, b. July 31, 1739; Elias, b. June 22, 1742; Silas, b. Nov. 30, 1746; and Huldah, b. Sept. 19, 1749. His wife d. in 1783. The line of descent is through:
Ebenezer (6), second child of Captain Ebenezer and Hannah Greene. He was a farmer in Bellingham, Mass. He married a relative, Martha, daughter of Uriah and Rachael Thayer, May, 1756. They had seven children: Thaddeus, b. Aug. 10, 1760; Calvin, b. July 7, 1763; Luther, b. Oct., 1767; Irene, b. Sept. 16, 1770; Ebenezer, b. Nov. 29, 1772; and Philo, b. 1779. He died at Bellingham, Mass., in 1779. The line of descent is through:
Ebenezer (7), (5th child of Ebenezer (6) and Martha Thayer) is grandfather of both branches of the Pawtucket family. He, like his ancestors, was a farmer of considerable means and lived in Bellingham, Mass. He married Sabra Darling of Bellingham, June 28, 1798. He was a kind and affectionate man, and many of his grandchildren cherish his memory, and recall with pleasure the old white straw hat in which he always kept a store of the best apples for his beloved grandchildren. He had five children: ALANSON, b. Feb. 17, 1799; Willard, b. April 18, 1802; SAMUEL, b. April 22, 1804; Miranda, b. Aug. 2, 1808; and Perley C., b. Jan. 27, 1812.
illustrations on page 453: Photos, Robert H. Simmons, Contractor and Builder; Merrill Spring, Manager Property Abbott Run Co.; Micah W. Spencer, License Commissioner, 1893-1896; George C. Stillman, of George C. Stillman & Co., Commission Merchants; Andrew A. Thompson, Master Mechanic, Lorraine Mills; James Thompson, Jr., Overseer Carding, Slater Cotton Co.
Alanson (8), the father of Edward Thayer, was born in Bellingham, but at an early age (about 1820) removed to Pawtucket, R. I., and became a prominent manufacturer, accumulating a large fortune. He first engaged in the retail dry goods business, then in cotton manufacture with Benjamin L. and Ellis Pitcher, and built the two mills on River street, near the bridge. He was successful in his career to a surprising degree. In public affairs he was also active and was a representative from Pawtucket in the lower house of the state legislature, and also a member of the commission to establish the state boundary line. He was a man of great benevolence and extremely charitable. He died May 12, 1869, beloved and regretted by the whole community. He was married twice and had 10 children. His first wife was Sally, daughter of Samuel Darling Esq., of Bellingham, Mass., by whom he had four children: Albert, b. June 20, 1819; Amanda, b. Jan. 21, 1822; Alanson, b. Feb. 6, 1826; and Sarah, b. Dec. 2, 1827. His first wife died Feb. 6, 1828, aged 27 years and 4 months. He married his second wife, Perley Bates, March 2, 1831, and by this union had six children: Sabra, b. Oct. 19, 1831; Ellen, b. June 29, 1834, d. March 7, 1835; Henry, b. Oct. 4, 1836, d. July 9, 1844; Ellen Maria, b. Nov. 19, 1839, d. Aug. 18, 1841; Edward, b. March 22, 1843; and Maria Louisa, b. May 7, 1848.
Samuel (8), the third child, was the father of Ellis and Philo E. Thayer. He married Miranda Sherman of Foxborough, Mass., in 1826. He had a large farm at Bellingham, and during the portions of the season that it did not require all his attention he devoted his time to brush making with Aquila Cook. He was a man of magnificent physique, being over six feet in height, strong and powerfully built. He was of a pleasant and genial disposition, and was greatly respected. He dealt largely in cattle, raising steers and breaking them for agricultural purposes, and his early death was due to a severe fall received while training a young steer. He died about 1858. He had six children: Allen, b. May 11, 1827; Ellis, b. June 9, 1830; Julia Ann, b. Jan. 10, 1836; Sarah Wilber, b. Sept. 28, 1838; George Wesley, b. Sept. 28, 1844; and Philo Elisha, b. March 4, 1847.
THAYER, Edward, treasurer of the Lebanon Mill, Co., 106 Broad street, Pawtucket, is of the ninth generation of the Thayer family in America. He is the fifth child of Alanson and Perley (Bates) Thayer, and was born March 23, 1843, in Pawtucket, Mass. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and was graduated from its high school. His first employment was as a clerk in the Slater State Bank. When but eighteen years old he enlisted in the 9th Rhode Island Volunteers, under a call for three months' service. Upon his return he entered his father's mill to learn print cloth manufacturing, where he acquired a general knowledge of the business. He then went into partnership with James Taft, in the old Greene mill, on River street, where they manufactured braid, under the name of the Slater Braid Company. This enterprise not proving a success he disposed of his interest and entered the firm of R. B. Gage & Co., manufacturers of cotton, yarn and knitted fabrics, whose mill was on the site of the historic Kent Mill, which is mentioned in the act incorporating Pawtucket in 1828. In 1867 Edward entered into partnership with his father, purchased this mill and conducted the business under the name of the Lebanon Mill Company. Less than two years later his father retired from business and Edward conducted the establishment alone. In 1875 he had doubled the capacity of the enterprise and admitted S. Eugene Wood as a partner. In 1881 he purchased Mr. Wood's interest. February, 1877, the mill was totally destroyed by fire, and he then secured the Payne building on Broad street, when he confined the product to knitted fabrics. He is assisted in the business by his two sons, S. Willard and Alanson. He rebuilt on the site of the old mill, and the building is now occupied by the Pawtucket Bleaching & Dyeing Company.
Mr. Thayer has been prominent in political affairs, having for many years been a member in the town council, was a member of the board of license commissioners, and for several sessions represented Pawtucket in the General Assembly. In 1892 he was a delegate to the National Republican Convention which nominated Benjamin Harrison for president. He is a member of the Masonic Order, belongs to the Boston Home Market Club; the New York Republican Club; the Manhattan Club, of New York; the Providence Athletic Association; the Union Club of Providence; the Towsomett Club of Chatham, Mass.; and the Pawtucket Business Men's Assocation. He served in the Pawtucket Cavalry as sergeant and lieutenant; and was lieutenant colonel and later colonel of the Tower Light Battery. He was commissioned major of the second brigade by Governor Burnside.
May 1, 1865, he was married to Emma L., daughter of Simon Dexter, of Pawtucket, by which union there are six children: S. Willard, b. Oct. 5, 1868; Alanson, b. April 12, 1869; Amy J., b. March 9, 1871; Florence, b. Dec. 31, 1872; Edward, Jr., b. Jan. 2, 1875; Emma D., b. Jan. 2, 1875.
illustration on facing page: photo: Edward Thayer, Treasurer, Lebanon Mill Co.
THAYER, Ellis, son of Samuel and Miranda (Sherman) Thayer, is of the ninth generation of his family. He was born in Bellingham, Mass., June 9, 1830, and learned brushmaking from Aquila Cook. In 1850 he worked for T. Curtis & Son of Providence, then the only brushmakers in Rhode Island, remaining with them two years, when he went to work in Worcester, Mass., where in 1854 he established himself in business as a manufacturer of brushes, which he conducted successfully for 25 years.
In 1870 he purchased the defunct brush works of Thomas Greene, Pawtucket, and in partnership with his brother George W. started a brush factory under the firm name of Thayer Bros. Upon the death of his brother George W. in 1875, he purchased his interest, and associated himself with his younger brother Philo E. Declining health compelled him to dispose of his Worcester factory in 1878, when he changed his residence to Pawtucket, devoting all his time to this business. During his business career he has obtained several patents on brushes.
In 1880 he disposed of his interest to his brother Philo E., and in 1883 successfully established his present business, which increased so rapidly that in 1887 he was compelled to build his present extensive works on Exchange street. He makes a specialty of brushes for cotton and woolen machinery, also for shoe factories and manufacturing jewelers.
April 17, 1855, he was married to Mary E., daughter of John Smith of Scituate, R. I., - a lineal descendant of John Smith who came to Rhode Island with Roger Williams, - by which union there were two children: Edgar S., b. Feb. 9, 1859, d. April 11, 1859, and Herbert E., b. March 6, 1863.
THAYER, Philo Elisha, of the ninth generation of his family in America, the son of Samuel and Miranda (Sherman) Thayer, was born March 4, 1847, at Bellingham, Mass., where he attended the public schools until he was 11 years old, when his parents moved to Woonsocket, R. I., where he attended the grammar and high schools. His parents then removed to West Milton, Ohio, and he completed his education in the high school of that place, from which he was graduated in 1863. During the lifetime of his father he had acquired some knowledge of brushmaking, and in 1864 he came to Worcester, Mass., and entered the brush works of his brother Ellis. He remained there but a few months when he joined with his brother Allen, who was located in Woonsocket, where he remained six years. In 1870 his brothers Ellis and George purchased Thomas Greene's brush works on East avenue, Pawtucket, and he was appointed foreman of the factory. Two years later he went to Woonsocket where he entered a grocery store. Upon the illness of his brother George in 1873 he returned to Pawtucket, assuming his former position as factory foreman. Later he purchased the interest of his brother George, and the firm name became Thayer Brothers, Ellis and Philo being the partners. In 1880 he purchased the interest of his brother Ellis and has since conducted the business alone under the name of Philo E. Thayer & Co., brush manufacturers, 34 East avenue. His business has prospered and his present establishment barely suffices to meet the demand for the product. He was also interested in a brush factory located in Woonsocket, but in 1893 he disposed of his interest to his partner and nephew, Walter S. Thayer, who still continues the business.
In public affairs Mr. Thayer has been an active participant. In 1886, 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890, and 1895, he represented the third ward in the city council and was a member of the board of aldermen for 1896 and 1897 - and president of the board. He was a member of the special committee of the city council in charge of the Cotton Centennial in 1890; and was chairman of the sub-committee on manufacturers under whose supervision cotton was taken in its raw state from the brush and manufactured into cloth, all in the same building, a feat of mechanical skill, as applied to manufacture, perhaps never before attempted. At the present time he represents Pawtucket in the General Assembly.
From 1864 to 1871 he was a member of the Woonsocket Light Artillery, and retired with the rank of lieutenant. The battery offered its services to the National Government during the civil war, but could not be accepted as light artillery.
March 7, 1866, he was married to Georgianna daughter of Ira W. Arnold, of Woonsocket, R. I., by which union there have been three children: Annie Louise, b. June 17, 1868; Hattie Miranda, b. Nov. 13, 1870; the third child died in infancy.
THOMPSON, Andrew Abel, master mechanic at Lorraine mills, was born at Bridgewater, Vt., May 15, 1837, and is the son of Hosea B. and Sarah (Barrows) Thompson. Until he was eighteen years old he attended the public schools and worked on a farm. He then attempted to learn the trade of carpenter, but an accident occurred which deprived him of his right limb below the knee. After this he learned the machinist trade and worked as a journeyman for the Hayden Mfg. Co., of Haydenville, Mass., Samuel Slater & Sons, Webster, Mass., and in 1879 became master mechanic for Hamilton Woolen Co., Southbridge, Mass., later for B. B. & R. Knight of Dodgeville, Mass., and in 1883 was appointed master mechanic at the Lorraine mills, Pawtucket, which position he now holds. Mr. Thompson attends the Thompson M. E. church, Pawtucket, and has been Superintendent of the Sunday school for the past twelve years. He also is a member of the Y. M. C. A., and served on its board of directors for several years. He belongs to the Masonic Order. In politics he is a Republican. He was married in 1879 to Martha A. Burby.
Mr. Thompson is a lineal descndant in the seventh generation of John Thompson, who was born in the north of Wales in the year 1616, and landed at Plymouth, in May, 1622, being a member of the third embarkation from England. His line of descent is, John, the American founder of the family, who died June 16, 1696; Jacob, b. April 24, 1662, d. Sept. 1, 1726; Barnabas, b. Jan. 28, 1705, d. Dec. 20, 1798; Noah, b. March 20, 1747, d. March 5, 1813; Abel, b. Oct. 3, 1776, d. Jan. 10, 1850; Hosea B., b. Aug. 19, 1803, d. Jan. 26, 1880.
THOMPSON, John Edward, of the firm of Weatherhead, Thompson & Co., belting, lace and picker leather, and thread and silk spool manufacturers, is the third child of Gladding O. and Lydia (Carpenter) Thompson, and was born Jan. 3, 1830, at Cumberland, R. I., where he attended the public schools until he was 20 years old. His first employment was on a farm, but not finding this occupation congenial he turned his attention to boat building, and later he engaged in the jewelry business. Neither of these pursuits proving attractive he entered into copartnership with George Weatherhead and established the present business of the manufacture of oak tanned leather belting, lace, picker and raw hide leather, manufacturers' and mill supplies, thread and silk spools, at 447 Mill street, Central Falls. From the modest beginnings in 1857 the business steadily increased and at the present time the firm is one of the foremost in its line, with one of the best equipped and most successfully conducted establishments in the trade.
With a private business so extensive it would seem that Mr. Thompson would find it difficult to devote his attention to public affairs. Nevertheless he has rendered conspicuous service. For several years he served in the Lincoln town council and for two years was its president. In 1889 he was elected state senator from Lincoln, serving two years. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a Past Grand Chancellor of the Knights of Pythias, and Past Grand Dictator of the Knights of Honor, and has passed through all the chairs in the subordinate Lodge of Odd Fellows in Central Falls. He attends the Universalist church. May 10, 1854, he was married to Ruth Ann Weatherhead of Cumberland.
Mr. Thompson is a descendant of old New England families on both sides. His father was born at Hartford, Conn., in 1806, and his mother was born in Cumberland, R. I.
THOMSON, James Jr., son of James and Elizabeth (Morrison) Thomson, was born in 1853 at Paisley, Scotland. In 1868, his parents came to America, and his father, who was a skilled designer, became overseer of the beaming room of the Warp Company at Holyoke, Mass., he still resides in that city. James Jr., at an early age went to work in J. P. Coats's mills, Paisley, and learned the cotton thread business in all its details. On coming to this country he engaged with the Hadley Thread Co., of Holyoke, Mass., and was advanced from a card grinder to a leading position in the combing department. In 1876 he became overseer of the thread works at Willimantic, Conn., and in 1884 he returned to Holyoke, to take charge of the carding department in the Lyman mills. In 1891 he came to Pawtucket as overseer of carding in the Slater Cotton Mills having charge in both mills and of 125 hands.
In 1872 he demonstrated his inventive abilities by constructing a stop-motion for the drawing frames. He sold his patent for a small sum, but the purchasers have realized large profits from their investment, for the machine came into universal use. In 1890 he invented a stripping roller for revolving top flat cards, which proved a success and is now in general use. He is now perfecting a clearer for cleaning the rolls of drawing machines, speeders and spinning frames, etc., which keeps the rolls absolutely clean and is regarded as the most useful invention in cotton machinery discovered in recent years. The present method requires cleaning by hand every hour, whereas this device requires attention but once a week to keep the rolls clean, and will prevent dirt from entering the fabric, thus avoiding imperfections. Expert mechanics and experienced mill men regard this last invention as one of the most useful and practicable in a decade, and look for its adoption in mills all over the world.
Mr. Thomson attends the Park Place Congregational church, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias. In 1874 he was married to Anna Brooks of Ware, Mass., from which union there were six children: James Renwick T., b. 1879; Jennie E., b. 1881; Martha Beatrice, b. 1886; all living, and three are dead. Mr. Thomson bought the Lindley estate, 192 Pine street, where he resides. He also owns real estate in Willimantic, Conn.
THORNTON, George Mumford, treasurer of the Union Wadding Co., is the son of Jesse Smith and Sarah Burrows (Mumford) Thornton, and was born in Pawtucket, Dec. 15, 1850. He attended the public schools in Pawtucket for a while, and from there attended schools at Milton and Pittsfield, Mass. After leaving Pittsfield he entered the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, at Troy, New York, where he completed his studies.
His business life began in 1871 at Hannibal, Missouri, as confidential clerk to the manager of large mining interests. In this capacity he traveled extensively between Boston, New York and the West. He remained in the West about five years, and was at different times located in Kansas City, St. Joseph, Council Bluffs, Omaha, Sioux City, Fort Dodge, Des Moines and Springfield, Illinois. In 1876 he came to New York city, and became treasurer of a company engaged in the manufacturing stationery business. While residing in New York he became interested in military affairs, and enlisted in Company I, 7th Regiment, N. G., S. N. Y. When this regiment moved from its old armory to its new and present armory he was one of the detail to escort President Hayes on that occasion. In 1881 he returned to Pawtucket and became interested in the Union Wadding Co. He was assistant-treasurer of the company for a while, and when Mr. Lyman B. Goff was elected president, to succeed the late Darius Goff, Mr. Thornton was elected treasurer which position he now holds. In addition to his responsible duties as financial officer of this large manufacturing establishment, he is also treasurer of the American Yarn Co., Aetna Stopper Co. and treasurer of Nichols Academy, at Dudley, Mass. Mr. Thornton is a trustee of the Pawtucket Institution for Savings, a director in the Pacific National and First National banks of Pawtucket, and director in the Pawtucket Electric Co. He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, the 'To Kalon' and 'Patria' clubs of Pawtucket and the Seventh Regiment Veteran Club of New York.
In politics Mr. Thornton is a Republican. When the city of Central Falls was incorporated in 1895, he was elected alderman from the third ward of that city and was re-elected to serve during the year 1896. He declined to serve for another term. He was elected president of the board of aldermen for the two terms that he was a member of the board. He was a member of the committee appointed by the city council to adjust and settle the indebtedness and differences existing between the city of Central Falls and the town of Lincoln caused by the incorporation and setting off of that city from the town of Lincoln. In 1895 and 1896 he served as aide-de-camp on the personal staff of His Excellency, Governor Charles Warren Lippitt.
Feb. 4, 1885, he married Edith A., daughter of Hezekiah Conant, of Central Falls. They have two children: Edith, b. Nov. 5, 1886; Margery Conant, b. July 2, 1888.
Mr. Thornton descends on his paternal and maternal sides from very old New England families, who can trace their ancestry back many generations. His father was the senior member of the well known Pawtucket firm of J. S. Thornton & Co., coal and lumber dealers, and was born in Mendon, Mass., in 1812. He died in Philadelphia in 1856. His mother was born in 1827 and died in January, 1851.
illustration on facing page: photo, George M. Thornton, Treasurer of Union Wadding Company.
THURBER, Charles Edgar, was born in Pawtucket, Dec. 23, 1853, and was the first child of Charles H. and Clarinda Amelia (Bagley) Thurber. He attended the Pawtucket public schools in winter and worked on the farm of his grandfather, William Bagley, in Pawtucket, in summer. This course of alternating work and study continued until he was about 13 years old, when he went to work as a baker for A. C. Bagley, and afterwards learned the trade of a file cutter. Jan. 15, 1873, he started as an expressman at Pawtucket depot with one horse and a wagon; but by strict attention to the wants of his patrons he steadily increased the business until at present he employs twenty horses and fifteen wagons, including hacks, open express wagons and furniture vans, all of which are constantly employed. He has the exclusive franchise for hack and express wagons at the Pawtucket depot. Ten years ago he started the parcel delivery, which he still conducts, and it has been a very popular system. Mr. Thurber was married to Mary Lydia Sweetland, of Vernon, Vt., Feb. 9, 1871.
In politics Mr. Thurber is a Republican, and is a member of the Garfield Club. He belongs to the First Methodist church, High street. He has always been active in society matters; is a member of the A. O. U. W.; is a charter member of the Daughters of Liberty, of the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association, of the A. K. Tilton Camp, Sons of Veterans, and of the Order of American Mechanics, and also of the American Benefit Association. He also belongs to the Temple of Honor.
On his mother's side Mr. Thurber is descended from the Bagleys, one of the oldest families in Pawtucket. His maternal grandfather, William Bagley, was a contemporary of Oziel Wilkinson, carried on a blacksmith business, and the family residence stood on the north side of Main street near the present corner of Broad, where now stands the Bagley block.
TIEPKE, Henry E., mayor of the city of Pawtucket, 1894-5-6, was born March 21, 1857, in Pawtucket, R. I. He was educated in the public schools of his native place, and while in his teens went to work in the Dunnell printworks. Remaining but a short time at these works, he hired out to George Mumford & Co., hardware dealers. This concern retired from business and Mr. Tiepke was engaged by Sargent & Co., of New York, the largest wholesale hardware house in America. He left this house to become a clerk to the superintendent of the foundry department in the establishment of Fales & Jenks, Pawtucket. Later he was employed by the James Hill Manufacturing Co., of Providence; and in 1880 became the New England manager for the Iron Clad Manufacturing Co., of New York, which position he held until 1896, when his duties as a public officer compelled him to relinquish his private business and give his whole time and efforts to the service of his constituents.
Mr. Tiepke became active in political affairs as soon as he attained his majority. The first public office held by him was that of district clerk of the town of Pawtucket, on the east side. Later he was elected district warden, and on the organization of the city in 1885, he became warden of the first ward.
In the fall of 1887 he was elected to the common council, from the first ward, and served in that branch of the municipal government for the years 1888, 1889, and 1890; and in 1891 he was elected a member of the board of alderman. Mr. Tiepke, early in his political career, advocated progressive measures and reforms in municipal methods, and while a member of the legislative branches of the city government he labored for and had passed by both bodies a resolution in favor of the establishment of a municipal electric lighting plant. This measure did not receive the approval of Mayor Goodwin, but the agitation resulted in the Electric Lighting Company reducing its rates for municipal lighting. He introduced the resolution requesting the General Assembly to apply the Australian ballot system to city elections in Pawtucket, which was granted; he also drafted and was instrumental in passing an ordinance requiring contractors for city work and supplies to submit bids. He also introduced the resolution in the common council that originated the city council centenary committee, of which he was elected chairman. Mr. Tiepke filled this position, which required much time, patience, and attention to details, with great satisfaction to the people of Pawtucket and credit to himself, and in the conduct of its difficult duties developed good administrative and executive ability. He organized the Garfield Republican Club and has been its president from the beginning. In 1894, 1895 and 1896 he was mayor of Pawtucket. The reforms which he advocated while a member of the legislative branches of the city government he pressed with vigor and intelligence while mayor, and if the many wholesome reforms and progressive measures which he favored did not materialize, as was sincerely hoped by his progressive constituents, it was owing to an absence of working sympathy on the part of the legislative branches over which he had no mandatory control.
In 1893 Mr. Tiepke was appointed Commissioner of Industrial Statistics with offices at 35 North Main street, Providence, which position he now holds. Mr. Tiepke's rapid rise in politics is an object lesson of what is within the grasp of every enterprising, progressive, intelligent American, who has the power to attain and the ability to fill a position which ambition creates.
TILLINGHAST, Pardon Elisha, associate justice of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of Rhode Island, is the second child of John and Susan C. (Avery) Tillinghast, and was born, Dec. 10, 1836, at West Greenwich, R. I. He received his early education in the public schools of Rhode Island and Connecticut, and afterwards at Hall's Academy, Connecticut, and the Providence Conference Seminary, East Greenwich, R. I. Later he was graduated from both the Rhode Island State Normal School, and Potter & Hammond's Commercial College. He then taught school for eight years in Valley Falls, Pawtucket, and Providence.
At the outbreak of the civil war he enlisted in the 12th Infantry, R. I. Volunteers, and went to the front, serving with the 9th army corps under Gen. Burnside. He was soon promoted to be quartermaster sergeant, and at the expiration of his term of service received an honorable discharge. On his return home he studied law with Charles W. Thrasher and the Hon. Thomas K. King, and was admitted to the bar in 1867. His cases were carefully prepared and he soon established a large and select practice. In 1872 he was elected town solicitor of Pawtucket, which position he held for nine years. In 1881 he was elected justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court and served in the Common Pleas Division, until 1891, when he was transferred to the Supreme Court sitting in bane, and later to the Appellate Division, sitting with Chief Justice Matteson and Mr. Justice Stiness.
Mr. Justice Tillinghast is of broad and liberal views and while holding himself rigidly to the standard of life dictated by his own conscience, he does not permit his conception of his duties to influence his judgment toward others. In 1891 he received the honorary degree of Master of Arts from Brown University, and was elected a corresponding member of the New York Medico-Legal Society. In educational matters he has always taken a deep interest, and particularly in the public school system, to which he rendered valuable aid when a member of the Pawtucket school committee. He has been prominent in public affairs. For a number of years he served in both branches of the legislature, being chairman of the judiciary committee of the senate for four years and also committee of the senate for four years and also chairman of the joint select committee on the revision of the statutes. In 1877 he was chairman of the joint committee appointed to receive President Hayes when he visited this state. For six years he was judge advocate general of the state of Rhode Island. He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, the Providence Bar Club, the Patria Club, and the G. A. R. He has taken an active part in church work, and has been closely identified with the Sabbath school for many years. He has been president of the First Baptist society for the past ten years.
Nov. 13, 1867, he was married to Ellen F. Paine of Pawtucket, by which union there are four children: Alice L., b. Nov. 7, 1871; John A., b. May 25, 1874; Angeline F., b. Sept. 19, 1876; Frederick W., b. Jan. 9, 1881.
The common ancestor of the Tillinghast family was Rev. Pardon Tillinghast, who was born at Seven Cliffe [sic], near Beachy Head, England, about 1622. It is supposed that he served in Cromwell's army. He came to America in 1643 and is believed to have lived for a short time in Connecticut, but under date of Jan. 19, 1646, his name appears attached to a receipt for 25 acres of land in Providence. He succeeded the Rev. Thomas Olney as pastor of the First Baptist church, Providence, where he officiated for more than sixty years. In 1761 he erected at his own expense and presented to the church its first meeting-house. The importance of this gift becomes appreciable when it is stated that for 50 years the only places of meeting were in many of the groves surrounding Providence. The building was erected on the corner of what is now North Main and Smith streets. He was a man of considerable means for those days, and might have been very wealthy but for his high sense of public duty, which comprehended not only extending his labors to the colony but also his purse, and during his long pastorate he refused all compensation for his services. He died Jan. 29, 1718, regretted and honored by the entire community. Many of his descendants have been among the most illustrious men of New England, every generation producing some members who became distinguished either as jurists, scholars, statesmen or divines.
The Rev. John Tillinghast, father of Pardon E., was born Oct. 3, 1812, at West Greenwich, R. I., and died March 28, 1878. He began preaching soon after he was 23 years old, and on Oct. 8, 1840, was ordained pastor of the West Greenwich Baptist church serving in this capacity for 38 years. His mother was the daughter of Elisha Avery, a veteran of the war of 1812, and was born March 2, 1834 [sic]. He died at Sag Harbor while in the service of his country.
TINGLEY, George S., was born in Central Falls, June 23, 1858, and was the fourth child of John W. and Eliza (Newell) Tingley. He received his education in the public schools of Pawtucket and at the Highland Military Academy, Worcester, Mass. After he was graduated from the latter institution he entered the flour and grain business with his father in the old grist mill that stood on the site now occupied by the electric light station of the Messrs. Goff, and was afterwards connected with Martin & Lane, dealers in mill supplies and special agents for the Jewell Belting Co., of Hartford, Conn. He resigned this position in 1885 and then became traveling salesman for the R. Bliss Manufacturing Co. of Pawtucket, R. I. He was chosen its secretary upon the death of Mr. C. E. Clark and held this position until September, 1894, when he became connected with the Paine Lumber Co., of Oskhosh, Wis., in the sale of sashes, blinds and doors throughout New England, with headquarters at Pawtucket, and is at present their New England manager. In politics Mr. Tingley is a staunch Republican and was for a number of years chairman of the Republican city committee. He was a member of the Pawtucket city council in 1892 and 1893 but declined a renomination for another year. He is a member of the Knights of Honor, Royal Arcanum, New England Railroad Club, with headquarters in Boston; Pawtucket Business Men's Assocation and the Garfield Club. He is also connected with the Rhode Island militia, having been appointed in 1883 quartermaster of the first battalion cavalry on the staff of Major Alexander Strauss. He occupied this position until the election of Brigadier General Hiram Kendall as brigade commander when he was appointed brigade quartermaster, which position he now holds. In religion Mr. Tingley is a Baptist. On Nov. 19, 1884, he married Nellie S. Bullock, daughter of Albert N. Bullock of Pawtucket, and the issue of this union is three children: Mary Bullock, B. Jan. 29, 1886; John Wesley, b. Aug. 1, 1889; and Albert Dunham, b. July 11, 1893.
TRESCOTT, Waldo, of the firm of Bucklin & Trescott, manufacturers of leather belting, was born Oct. 14, 1849, in Providence, R. I., where he attended the public schools and was graduated from the high school when he was 18 years old. He then entered the employ of James Davis & Co., belt manufacturers of Pawtucket, learned the business and was finally advanced to be co-manager with Charles R. Bucklin. When the Davis plant was destroyed by fire, Mr. Trescott formed a co-partnership with Charles R. Bucklin and under the firm name of Bucklin & Trescott they manufacture leather belting and lace leather at 66 North Main street. They have a well equipped plant and do an extensive business.
In politics Mr. Trescott is a Republican. He belongs to Union Lodge, No. 1, A. F. & A. M., of which he is Past Master; to Royal Arch Chapter, is Past Commander of Holy Sepulchre Commandery; to the Scottish Rite, and to Palestine Temple, of the Mystic Shrine. He attends the First Congregational church. He was married to Lucy F. Street. His first wife died and he was married the second time to Agnes MacAndrew, of Forestville, N. Y., by which union there are three children: Waldo, Jr., Margaret F. and Clifford A.
The Trescott family on the paternal side came from England and settled originally in Connecticut, afterwards coming to Providence where they have since lived. On the maternal side the family is traced back to the early settlement of Plymouth colony. Lindamon Crins, Mr. Trescott's grandfather, was aide-de-camp on the staff of Napoleon I, during the whole of his career.
TURNER, John D., is the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Davis) Turner and was born Jan. 24, 1859, in Manchester, England, where he attended school until he was 16 years old. His father being colonel of an English artillery regiment, intended him for the army, but he was incapacitated by losing the sight in his right eye. He then entered the employ of Mason, Chapman & Holland, dyers and finishers of velvets, corduroys etc., and learned the business thoroughly. In 1880 he was employed by Cooper Bros., as assistant superintendent to William Taylor.
In 1885 he came to Rhode Island and located at Crompton, town of Warwick, being of the Crompton Co. In 1886 he became interested in the velvet mill projected by W. F. & F. C. Sayles, but this project was abandoned owing to national tariff legislation. Mr. Turner was then given employment in the Sayles bleacheries, and now has charge of the grey goods department at the old bleachery. Meanwhile he devoted his evenings to soliciting insurance. He represents the Providence Washington Fire Insurance Co., of Providence, R. I., and the Mutual Reserve Fund Life Association of New York.
In politics Mr. Turner is a staunch Republican. In 1894 and 1895 he was collector of taxes for the town of Lincoln. He is chairman of the Lincoln Republican Town Committee and a member of the Republican State Central Committee. He is one of the charter members of the Loyal Washington Lodge, I. O. O. F., M. U.; also Blackstone Senate, Knights Ancient Essenic Order, and a member of the Royal Society of Good Fellows. At present he is a Noble Grand of Loyal Lincoln Lodge, I. O. O. F., at Saylesville. Feb. 23, 1884, he was married to Mary A. Robinson of Lancashire, England, by which union there have been three children: Lillian, b. in England; Florence, b. in Paterson, N. J.; and Maud, b. in Saylesville, R. I.
illustration on page 462: photo, John D. Turner, contractor and builder and real estate agent.
UPHAM, Lester Wayland, the second son of Lucian and Amy Mason (Kelton) Upham, was born in Pawtucket, R. I., June 22, 1858. His father is a nature [sic] of Dudley, Mass., and is a descendant of the earliest New England family of that name. His mother is a native of Johnston, R. I. His education began and closed at the Church Hill school. He was one of the later coterie of 'Church Hill boys', who flourished as amateur printers, and later engaged in the manufacture of jewelers' cards, etc., in Providence, which business for a time was successful. May 12, 1881, he entered the Gazette and Chronicle office in order to complete his knowledge of the printing business, which he did in a short space of time, and in a thorough manner. He became foreman of the office in April, 1887, and in January, 1894, became a partner with Mr. Lee.
He is a member of the Master Printers Association of Rhode Island, the Knights of Pythias, the Red Men, American Benefit Society, Ancient order of Essenic Knights, and other fraternal societies, and has ably filled several important offices in some of them. He is very popular with all his associates. He was married May 12, 1880, to Ella A. Atwood of Providence.
WADSWORTH, John, was the sixth child of John and Sara (Woodward) Wadsworth, and was born at Strong, Me., in 1831. His father was a shipbuilder and a farmer. The ancestors of the Wadsworths came to America early in the seventeenth century and settled in Duxbury, Mass., in which vicinity the family has always been prominent. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the poet, was a member of the family through his mother. John, Jr., attended the public schools of his native state until he was 16 years old, and then worked on a farm until he was 21. He then, in 1852, went to Brockton, Mass., and spent three years in learning the trade of a tin-plate and sheet-iron worker. At the end of that time he opened a stove store and tin shop at Weymouth, Mass., but three years later removed his business to Randolph, Mass., and in 1860 went to New Sharon, Me., where he opened a large stove and furnace store. In 1866 he came to Pawtucket and worked for Sumner Fifield for five years, when he went to Fall River and engaged in the dry and fancy goods business. He returned to Pawtucket in 1891 and started the tin, sheet-iron, copper, plumbing and steam fitting business, which he now carries on at 21 North Union street under the name of the Wadsworth Manufacturing Co.
Mr. Wadsworth is a member of the Baptist church, and belongs to the Free Masons. he was married in 1854 to Elizabeth Leonard of Brockton, Mass., and they have had seven children: Charles Thomas, George Melvin, John Franklin, Mary Ella, John Franklin, 2d; Arthur Leonard, and Frederick Woodward.
WALKER, John Herbert, was born in North Providence, May 14, 1848, and was the fourth child of John and Nancy (Harrop) Walker. His father was a native of Stockport, England, came to this country in 1840, and served during the war of the rebellion in the Rhode Island Heavy Artillery. John H. attended the public schools until he was 12 years of age. He then worked in a cotton mill for several years and during the war was employed in what was known as Burnside's rifle factory, which was subsequently converted into the Rhode Island Locomotive Works, Providence. After the war he went to work at the trade of a steam fitter. In January, 1879, he entered the employment of the city as engineer, and took charge of No. 1 Pumping Engine immediately after its acceptance by the city, and at the present time he has the superintendency of the entire pumping plants connected with the city. Mr. Walker has made a close study of and has devoted his entire time to the perfecting of and the economical operation of pumping engines. He has been enabled to see whereby he could improve their operation and efficiency, and from time to time has applied his knowledge to good effect, so that to-day the city is in possession of a pumping plant that cannot be excelled either in operating or economy. As an instance No. 1 Engine may be cited: the duty test was made by G. H. Corliss, before its acceptance by the city, using the very best coal made on a two weeks' test, a duty of 104,000,000 foot-pounds. The engine to-day is making a yearly duty of 124,000,000 foot pounds, running 12 hours per day, and this after 19 years operation. Mr. Walker's yearly reports has been closely studied by mechanical engineers and water works officials, and his system of operation has been largely adopted throughout the country. He is at the present time in receipt of a large correspondence as to the economical operation of large steam plants.
He has been a faithful, conscientious servant of the city, and his work has evidently been appreciated. He was a member of the fire department for a number of years and was captain of No. 3 Engine Co. when he resigned to accept his present situation. In politics Mr. Walker is a Republican. He is charter member of the Legion of Honor, he is also a Free Mason, a charter member of Mount Horab Lodge, Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order, and a member of the Veteran Firemen's Association. In 1870 he was married to Sarah Jackson, and they have three children: Fred, Adelaide, and Clifford.
illustration on page 464: photo, John H. Walker, chief engineer, pumping stations, Pawtucket Water Works.
WALKER, General William R., was born in Seekonk, Mass., (now East Providence, R. I.) April 14, 1830, the son of Alfred and Huldah Burdeen, (Perry) Walker. He is a descendant in the third generation of John Walker of Rehoboth, Mass., who was a sergeant in the Minute Men from Rehoboth, in the Lexington Alarm, and in service during the war of the revolution.
John Walker was descended in the fourth generation from the 'Widow Walker', who came into the Plymouth colony at a date unknown, and who was previous to 1643 one of the purchasers and proprietors of the town of Rehoboth. Who her husband was, or what part of the old country she came from is unknown, but that she and her two sons were founders of the family of Walkers in Southern Massachusetts is unquestioned.
The subject of this sketch attended the public school of his native town, and after graduating from 'The Seekonk Classical Seminary' in 1846, became a builder's apprentice in Providence, R. I., serving for a term of three years, during which time he studied architectural drawing at Schofield's College. In the winter of 1850-1 he was located in Augusta, Ga., returning to Rhode Island in the summer of 1851 and located in Pawtucket, where he has since resided. He has been closely identified with public life in his city and state, having served as a member of the town councils of both North Providence and Pawtucket, and also having served both terms as a member of the General Assembly. At the breaking out of the rebellion in 1861 he was commissioned first lieutenant of Co. E, First Regiment R. I. Detached Militia, and served until the mustering out of his regiment. In 1864 he established himself as an architect in the city of Providence, in which profession, in connection with his son, Col. W. Howard Walker he is still engaged.
General Walker served in the state militia for more than twenty years, retiring with the rank of major general. He is a member of Massachusetts Commandery, Military Order of the Loyal Legion; member of and Past Commander of Tower Post, G. A. R., and at the present time is a member of the board of park commissioners of the city of Pawtucket. In politics he is a Republican, and was a delegate to the Republican National Convention at Chicago in 1888. He became a member of Union Lodge, No. 10, A. F. and A. M., Pawtucket, in 1857, received his capitular degrees in Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter, No. 4, was knighted in Holy Sepulchre Commandery, No. 8, in 1871, and served three years as Eminent Commander of that body. He is a member of Providence Consistory, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, 32d degree, and of Palestine Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. In the Grand Commandery of Knights Templars of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, he has filled the several offices of Grand Lecturer, Grand Standard Bearer, Grand Junior Warden, Grand Senior Warden, Grand Captain General, Grand Generalissimo, Deputy Grand Commander, and in October, 1896, was elected Grand Commander, which position he now holds.
General Walker was married in 1852, to Miss Eliza B. Hall, daughter of Nathan Hall of Providence. She passed away Feb. 21, 1895. They had two children: George Clinton [sic] Walker, b. Nov. 7, 1853, d. June 1, 1883; William Howard Walker, b. Jan. 19, 1856, who is still living and resides in Pawtucket.
illustration on facing page: Front view of the works of Howard & Bullough American Machine Co. (Ltd.), and rear view.
WALKER, William W., son of Peter and Amelia (Hurlan) Walker, was born in Lancashire, England, where he received his early education. He learned the trade of a bleacher, under his father, and in 1855 he came to America and joined with his uncle who was employed at the bleacheries of W. F. & F. C. Sayles, at Saylesville. He mastered the details of the business, and is now superintendent, with a supervision over the processes of manufacture and also over the employees. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of the Sayles Memorial church, at Saylesville. He belongs to Good Samaritan Lodge, I. O. O. F., and to the Order of Royal Good Fellows. In 1853 he was married to Sarah Greenhalge of Manchester, England, by which union there are three children: John M., b. in England, James W., and Eliza, b. in Saylesville.