7th Regiment of RI Volunteers in the Civil War, Page 6
Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers. If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with information.

The Seventh Regiment of RI Volunteers in the Civil War, 1862 - 1865
by William P. Hopkins, Snow & Farmham Printers, Providence, RI, 1903

p. 314 - 315.

Welcome B. SAYLES. Lieutenant-Colonel Welcome Ballou Sayles, son of Daniel and Olive Ballou Sayles, was born at Franklin, Mass, July 4, 1812.  His education was obtained in the schools of Bellingham.  When about twenty years of age he went to Bernon Village, then across the river from Woonsocket, RI., and served as clerk in the Bernon store, of which he subsequently became owner. He first came prominently to the front in connection with the free suffrage movement that culminated in the Dorr Rebellion.  He canvassed nearly the entire state, his eloquence attracting multitudes, though evidently it did not convince all.  In acknowledgment of his services, he was chosen Speaker of the House in the Dorr Legislature.  When the insurrection was quelled Sayles, like his leader, found it convenient to find an abiding place elsewhere.  The former repaired to New Hampshire and made his home for several months with an uncle at Keene in that state.  Then he went to Boston, Mass., where with his brother John O. Sayles, he spent a year in the freighting and trucking business.  By this time the animositities of the conflict had subsided sufficiently to render it safe for him to return to Woonsocket, from whence, in 1845, he was appointed postmaster of Providence by President Polk.  In 1853 he was reappointed to that office by President Pierce.  After the close of his first term with Messrs. Miller and Symonds, he founded the 'Providence Post', of which he continued to be the editor until he entered the field years afterward.  He had attended every National Democratic Convention from Polk down, so when Lincoln succeeded to the presidential chair, it was but natural a man like him should be selected to go among the Secessionists and secure such settlement with the postmasters there as would entail the least loss and embarrassment to the government. When his work was completed it received the unqualified approval of the postmaster-general.  As has already been been intimated, he attended the Baltimore Convention, and there exerted himself to restrain the lawless tendencies of his Southern friends; but when he found they were determined upon the disruption of the Union, he unhesitatingly accepted the responsibility thrust upon him and enlisted in defense of national integrity.  Just before the battle in which he lost his life, he wrote home charging his family to remember that, if he fell, it was in defense of the beloved Constitution.

Mr. Sayles was a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 1, A. F. and A. M., of Providence, and, during the administration of Governor Philip Allen, served as colonel on his personal staff.  He married Deborah C., daughter of Moses W. and Mary Watson, of Dover, N.H., by whom he had five children: Eliza Jane, wife of Lieut. Joseph S. Manchester, and subsequently of Waldo L. Gates, of Lonsdale, R.I.; Mary, wife of Edward T. Raymond to whose care she left a daughter Maud; Julia Wilkinson, wife of James Henry Tower, whose children are Clifford Sayles, Louis Philip and Maria Elizabeth, wife of Benjamin Pearce Harris; Philip Allen, who married Hannah Cornett and died leaving one son, Philip Allen Sayles; Louis Leprelett Sayles, who died unmarried.  Lieutenant-Colonel Sayles's remains were interred with befitting honors at Swan Point Cemetery.

p. 410:

DENNIS J. SCANNELL. Sergeant Dennis John Scannell was born Dec. 4, 1842, at Boston, Mass.  When but a child, his parents moved to Worcester, where he attended the public schools until he was fourteen years of age, when he commenced learning the printer's trade, attending, meanwhile, evening schools.  He was appointed sergeant in Company I, Dec. 1, 1862.  He succumbed to the exposure of the Jackson campaign, and was sent first to Camp Dennison, O., and later to Portsmouth Grove Hospital.  After he was mustered out he resided a short time in Providence, and then went on to Boston, where he married Eliza Agnes Teehan by whom he had two sons and one daughter.  In 1870 he removed to Worcester where he died Feb. 10, 1876.  The elder son has since died at the age of twenty years.

p. 411.

BENJAMIN SHERMAN. Corporal Benjamin Sherman was born according to the inscription on the stone erected to his memory in the East Greenwich Cemetery, Oct. 13, 1844.  He lived with his parents winters and worked on farms summers.  He was in the employ of Capt. Alfred B. Chadsey, of Wickford, at the time of his enlistment.  The young man's parents objected to his entering the service and arranged with his employer that any mention of the subject should at once be reported to them.  He never lisped the matter, however, and none knew of his plans until he had gone.  He was killed at Spottsylvania, May 18, 1864.  His remains were never recovered.  He had one sister, Mrs. Sarah E. Lowell, who was so young she scarcely remembers him, and two brothers, Henry C. and Charles L.  His parents died prior to January, 1896.

p. 411 - 412:

SAMUEL F. SIMPSON. Sergeant Samuel Frost Simpson, the eldest of the six children of Joseph Sheburn and Mary Hobbs, was born of Oxford, N.H., July 5, 1820.  An uncle, Thomas Simpson, was a captain of the sloop-of-war 'Ranger', in the Continental Navy.  The lad lived on a farm and attended the country school in his native town until Sept. 2, 1839, when he went to Burlington, Vt., and enlisted in the regular army.  He was assigned to Battery I, First United States Artillery, and went to Maine where he remained until the settlement of the difficulty with Great Britain over the boundary line.  The battery was then ordered to Fort Adams, Newport, R.I., where it remained until his term of enlistment had expired and he was honorably discharged as a private Sept. 2, 1844.  He again enlisted April 1, 1845, at Newport in the same battery, which, ere long, went to Tampa Bay, Fla., and then to Mexico with General Scott.  There he participated in a number of engagements, but was quite severely wounded at the battle on Contreras.  He remained in the hospital until he could be sent to his home, which was then in Piermont, N.H., where he was honorably discharged Nov. 24, 1848, as sergeant of the battery at the City of Mexico, by reason of disability.  John B. Magruder was commander of the battery at that time and 'Stonewall' Jackson a lieutenant.  Mr. Simpson soon returned to Newport, where, in 1852, he married Cecelia Brennan, of that city.  They removed to Providence where he was employed as a boiler maker to the Corliss and Nightingale Works.  In 1857 he went back to Peirmont where his mother and her family were still residing.  When the Rebellion broke out he expressed a desire to enlist, and, as his wife wished to be near her family should he do so, they returned to Newport.  Soon after he enlisted in the Seventh.  He was shot through the head at North Anna River about 11:30 a.m., May 25, 1864.  Mrs. Simpson at the time could not afford to have his remains brought home, and when she was able they could not be located.  She died in 1887.  Sergeant Simpson had seven children:  Agnes M., who married William T. Wilson, and died in December, 1893, leaving four sons, son of whom, Samuel P. Wilson, of Providence, served on the Gunboat 'Helena' through the Spanish War, and was discharged in June, 1900, at the age of twenty-one; Joseph, who went on to a farm in 1867 (whither the family removed in 1857, save Agnes) and died at Brantford, Kan., March, 1900; Catherine, who died in infancy; Florence M., now Mrs. Edward T. Vought of Clifton, N.J.; Edmund D., of Passaic, N.J.; Samuel E., of Dale, Iowa; Peter B., who died in Ithaca, N.Y., in 1885, while a Sophmore (sic) at Cornell Univeristy, and Margaret, born May 22, 1864, afterwards Mrs. William R. Campbell, who died in 1886.  In 1887 the family with the exception of Joseph, who had already gone West, removed to Pontiac, where the children found employment in the factories.  Sergeant Simpson is survived by two brothers, William C., and George T., of Piermont, N.H., and one sister, Mary S., now Mrs. Jonathan Sleeper, of Haverhill, Mass.  Of Mrs. Simpson's family but one survives, Mrs. John Ring, of Newport, R.I.

p. 365:

ALBERT L. SMITH. First Lieutenant Albert Levens Smith, son of Stukely S. and Lucy Levens Smith, was born at Thompson, Conn., July 16, 1822.  He was educated at Plainfield, Conn.   Subsequently he taught school a few terms, and then worked at his trade, which was that of a machinist.  About 1842 he married Mary J. Wetherbee, by whom he had three sons and six daughters.  When he enlisted in the Seventh he was a foreman at the celebrated steam engine company of George H. Corliss.  As sergeant in Company F, he was wounded at Fredericksburg; as first lieutenant of Company D he passed through the Jackson campaign.  On the return of the regiment to Kentucky, he fell ill with malarial fever at Camp Parke, near Camp Nelson, Ky., and died there Aug. 31, 1863.  His grandfather lost his life by being carried away in the September gale of 1815, at Pawtucket, R.I.

p. 412:

ORLANDO SMITH. Sergeant Orlando Smith, son of Samuel and Betsey Codding Smith, was born in Winchester, N. H., June 27, 1835.  His mother, by an accident, to the carriage in which she was riding, was thrown into deep water and drowned. In 1860 Orlando took up his abode in Providence, R.I.  In April of that year he married Anna D. Arnold, a native of Cranston.  He enlisted as one of a quota of ten men from Barrington.  He was detailed on the color guard soon after the battle of Fredericksburg, and served thereon to the end.  He was slightly wounded in the shoulder June 3, 1864, at Bethesda Church.  A younger brother who was serving in the Seventeenth United States Infantry, was wounded at Gettysburg, and died a few days after in a Baltimore hospital.

p. 412:

JAMES B. SPENCER. Sergeant James Byron Spencer, youngest son of Christopher and Nancy Wickes Spencer, of Warwick, R.I., was teaching school at Crompton when he enlisted. He died at Newport News, Va., March 6, 1863, from the disorder most common to soldiers in warm climates.  His two brothers, Peleg and Stukley (Stutly) hastened to his bedside as soon as they learned of the seriousness of his illness, but he had been buried three days when they arrived.  His body was disinterred and brought home in a rough box to which the red soil of the South was still adhering.  His funeral was on the following Sunday at the First Baptist Church, East Greenwich, where he had many friends at the academy.  He was buried in the Wickes family lot, one and a half miles west of that village.  Rev. Benjamin Phelan, superintendent of the public schools of Warwick at that time, says in his report:  'Mr. James B. Spencer, a member and clerk of this board at the commencement of this school year, a young man of high moral character whose future was full of promise, with an intellectual turn of mind, was in the way of becoming a useful member of this Board and to the community in which he lived, but being impressed with a sense of duty and the zeal of a patriot, he enlisted in the Seventh Regiment of Volunteers from this state, to go to the war in defence of the government against its fratricidal enemies.  Alas! how uncertain is life. In the bloom and vigor of youth, disease (contracted in the exposure of camp) laid its fatal hand upon him and he is no more.  He fell a voluntary sacrifice in the defence of the laws of his country.  We feel to mourn the loss of so worthy an associate, and to offer our hearfelt sympathy to the family and friends of the deceased, who have lost a dutiful son, an affectionate brother and a kind friend.'

p. 328 - 329:

HENRY J. SPOONER. Acting Adjutant Henry Joshua Spooner, son of Joshua and Ann Crawford Noyes Spooner, was born in Providence, Aug. 6, 1839.  His father was for many years a wholesale dry goods merchant in that city; his mother, a woman of much literary culture and taste, was descended through her mother from the well known Updike family, while her father was a sea captain of much musical and artistic accomplishment, whose voyages traversed the three great oceans. Henry's early education was obtained from the public schools.  In September, 1857, he entered Brown University and was graduated thence in 1860, with the degree of A.B., according to the fashion just re-established in that institution.  He early evinced an interest in and aptitude for discussion and debate, while his favorite studies were history, literature, rhetoric, and logic.  During his sophomore year he was class president.  In 1861 he graduated from the Albany (N.Y.) Law School with the degree of LL. B., and was thereupon admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the empire state. Returning to his native city, he continued his studies in the office of Messrs. Thurston and Ripley, for years the leaders of the Rhode Island bar, until Aug. 27, 1862, when he was commissioned second lieutenant in the Fourth Regiment Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, a regiment which had already been in the field some months, and that once reported for duty participating September 14th in the battle of South Mountain, and, on the 17th, in the bloody conflict at Antietam.  During a portion of this latter day the Fourth occupied the extreme left of the Union line, and, after fording Antietam Creek in the face of the enemy's fire, while striving to carry the hill beyond, lost in killed and wounded nearly one-third of those on the field.  Lieutenant Spooner received two shots through his clothing and a slight contusion on the thigh.  So hot indeed was the fire, there was scarcely a man who did not, at least, bear the mark of one bullet on some part of his clothing or equipments.

Oct. 5, 1862, Mr. Spooner was mustered as first lieutenant, and was borne on the rolls as adjutant until Feb. 25, 1864, when he was transferred to Company E.  But, meanwhile, he was on detached service at the Conscript Camp, New Haven, Conn., from July to November, 1863; absent sick from Oct. 23, 1863, to February, 1864; during that month and March, assistant commissary of subsistence Third Brigade, Heckman's Division, Eighteenth Army Corps; during April, assisant commissary of subsistence on the staff of Colonel Steere of the Fourth, and, from May 1st until November, acting assistant commissary of subsistence Second Brigade, First Division, Eighteenth Army Corps.  When relieved from this duty he reported to the commanding officer of the Seventh, whither had already been sent the re-enlisted veterans of the Fourth and its recruits.  There he was assigned to duty as adjutant of the two organizations until their consolidation was formally effected in February, 1865, when he was mustered out on the 5th, as a supernumerary.  In addition to the engagements already referred to, Lieutenant Spooner participated in the battle of Fredericksburg, where Lieut.-Col. Joseph B. Buffum commanding the regiment was shot dead at his side, the siege of Suffolk, Va., engagements at Edenton Road, Hill's Point, and Drury's Bluff, together with the long and tedious Siege of Petersburg.

Once more at home he resumed the study of law, and early in June he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island.  He commenced at onece the practice of his profession, which he has pursued unremittingly to date.  Meanwhile, he has held the following offices (with others):  Clerk and justice of the Court of Magistrates from May, 1866, to May, 1869; president of the Franklin Lyceum, an ancient and well known literary and debating society in 1866 and 1867; member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives from 1875 to 1882, during three of which years, 1876-9, he was a member of the judiciary commitee, and two years speaker, 1879-81; colonel on the staff of his Excellency Henry Lippitt, from May, 1875, to May, 1877; commander of the Department of Rhode Island, Grand Army of the Republic in 1877; representative in the Congress of the United Sates from the First District of Rhode Island, from 1881 to 1891.

Mr. Spooner, has, until recently, been actively identified with the Republican Party.  He stumped the state for Grant in 1868 and 1872, from Hayes in 1876, for Garfield in 1880, for Blaine in 1884, and for Harrison in 1888 and 1892.  In 1876 and 1880 he was a member of the Executive Committee of the State Central Republican Club, and  from 1879 to 1881, inclusive, chairman of the Providence City Republican Club.  He has just been returned to the lower house of the State Legislature on the Democratic ticket.

He married Mary S. daughter of David A. and Abby E. Brown, Nov. 16, 1868, by whom he has had one son, Henry J. Spooner, Jr., born Nov. 13, 1869.

<facing page:  portrait of Henry J. Spooner>

p. 334:

ALBERT G. SPRAGUE, JR. Assistant Surgeon Albert Gallatin Sprague, Jr., son of Albert G. and Mary Fiske Sprague, was born in Providence, R.I., Nov. 22, 1836.  His grandmother, on the paternal side, Amy Williams Sprague, was descended in direct line from the illustrious Roger.  His early education was received at Pierce Academy, Middleboro, Mass.; he graduated at the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, Pa., in 1859.  He was assisant surgeon of the Tenth Rhode Island from May 26, 1862, until September 1st, when the regiment was mustered out.  He was appointed to the same rank in the Seventh Aug. 29, 1862; was mustered in Sept. 22d; was absent sick from November 17th to January, 1863; was on detached service in hospital at City Point from January, 1865, until March 11th, and was mustered out June 9th.  The next year he entered upon the practice of his profession at Riverpoint, R.I., where he has continued to since continued to reside.

Nov. 22, 1859, he married Ellen T. Duncan, by whom he has had a son and a daughter, both deceased.  He is president of the State Board of Health, of which he has been a member since its organization in 1878.  He was a town representative to the General Assembly in 1886-7, has been health officer of the Town of Warwick since 1887, and a member of its Council from 1899 to 1902.  He is a member of McGregor Post, No. 14, Grand Army of the Republic, of Phenix, of the Warwick Club, of the Providence Press Club, and of the Providence Athletic Association.

<facing page: portrait of Albert G. Sprague>

p. 412 - 413:

JOHN H. D. SPRAGUE. Sergeant John Harton Dean Sprague, the youngest of ten children (equally divided as to sex) of Alanson and Jemima Taft Sprague, was born in Glocester, R.I., Jan. 27, 1841.  Seven of the ten attained maturity.  Most of his life before enlistment was spent in Burrillville, but in April, 1861, he went to work at Potter Hill, and in the excitement of that time enlisted in and went out with the Westerly Rifles, as Company I, First Regiment Rhode Island Detached Militia.  After his muster out he went back to Burrillville. During the ensuing winter he, with George B. Inman, Esek B. Darling, M. A. Maynard, and others, hired a hall and devoted their evening to drilling.  In July Inman commenced to recruit a company in Pascoag, so he went there and enlisted.  He served with the regiment through all its varied experiences until September, 1863, when he with many other victims of Mississippi malaria were placed in a hospital at Lexington, Ky.  Late in December he rejoined his company, but a little subsequently, was again severely attacked with that disorder.  Once more he was sent to the hospital and was seen no more by his comrades until May 2, 1864, when at Bristow Station.  On June 16th before Petersburg, the sergeant was hit in the side by a bullet that had struck the ground just in front of him, but the injury proved not to be serious.  Again on the morning of July 1st, a glancing bullet struck his right foot as he was lying behind the breastworks.  It tore the entire sole from the shoe and carried away skin and flesh of the size of a silver dollar.  Still again he was wounded on July 7th, but only slightly and in the back.  August 6th he was detailed for duty with the ambulance corps where he served until the end, rejoining the regiment at Alexandria as it was preparing to return home.  Aug. 12, 1865, he married Ellen Sneaddon, a native of Scotland.  To them were born four children, of whom but one is now living.  He first tried his hand at farming, but the labor was too severe. Then he learned spinning, but, ere long, discovered that was prejudicial to his health.  Next he tried bar tending in Douglas, Mass., but an experience of six months convinced him that was not to his liking.  Now he took to peddling fish wherein he met not with eminent success.  Fortunately, however, in January, 1872, a friend secured him a position in a watch case factory in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he soon learned to melt gold.  Four years later the regular melter left and he was promoted to the vacancy which he filled for at least nineteen years.  When he, at length, gave up the place, he removed to Sag Harbor, but as his health continued poor, he moved on to a farm at Hilldale, N.J., twenty-two miles from New York City.  His health improved quite rapidly for a time, but he died there Sept. 28, 1900, of heart failure.

p. 330:

JOHN R. STANHOPE, JR. Quartermaster John Rider Stanhope, Jr., eldest son, but third child of John Rider and Harriet Cornell Stanhope, was born at Newport, R.I., May 23, 1823. He enlisted in Company I, Aug. 13, 1862; was mustered in as fourth sergeant, September 4th, was transferred to non-commissioned staff as quartermaster-sergeant, and was commissioned as first lieutenant and quartermaster, November 3d, the first mail that reached the regiment after its arrival before Fredericksburg, bringing the parchment.

He accompanied the regiment to Kentucky and also to Vicksburg.  After the capture of that city he was stricken with malaria, and, after a term in the hospital obtained a sick leave and went to Ohio, where it was renewed.  At the expiration of the extension, he was honorably discharged, Oct. 24, 1863.

Once more at home he entered the employment of the Old Colony Railroad Company and remained there five years.  In December, 1870, he went to Cuba, and since that time he has been engaged in the shipping and commission business at Havana save during the few months of the Spanish War, when he resided at St. Augustine, Fla.

March 20, 1849, Mr. Stanhope married at St. Louis, Mo., Louisa W. Coates. She died June 14, 1889.  At St. Augustine, July 11, 1894, he married Emma J. S. Morrell.

p. 413:

ALBERT STONE. Alberr Stone was born in Providence, R.I.  During a considerable portion of his term of service he served as company cook.  He received all the provisions for the comrades, faithfully cared for them and prepared and distributed to each his share promptly.  If in camp he always had their hot coffee ready for them when it was expected.  On account of his fatherly care, his thoughtfulness of the interests of others, and his unselfishness, he was always addressed or referred to as Daddy Stone.  He died July 23, 1899, aged seventy-two years.  His wife, Sarah Gavitt, died Nov. 27, 1896, aged seventy-seven years.  They had six children, all of whom reside in Wickford:  Samuel A., George B., Victoria, Josephine, Annie, and Effie.

p. 354 - 357:

GEORGE N. STONE. Captain George Nelson Stone was born at Stark, N.H., July 17, 1840.  When some three years of age his parents with their three sons and five daughters went to Lowell, Mass., where, ere long, he commenced attendance in the public schools.  When ten years of age he was office boy for a year for Benjamin F. Butler.  Later he attended for a time, the Centreville Academy. Then he secured a position in a mercantile establishment at Boston on a small salary.  The year 1861 found him the proprietor of a small hotel in Georgia, a citizen of that state, and a member of a military company that tendered its services to Governor Brown.  He declined them, but advised the men they would be notified if wanted.  Mr. Stone quickly closed up his affairs there and came North.  He was induced to join the Seventh by Lieutenant-Colonel Sayles with whom he had a limited acquaintance, and was at once commissioned second lieutenant of Company B.   Jan. 7, 1863, he was made first lieutenant of Company F, March 20th transferred to Company H, and on May 2d promoted to be captain thereof, which position he retained so long as the regiment remained in the field.  During the month of December it is said he was on detached service as aide-de-camp to Colonel Allard, commanding the First Brigade of the Second Division.  When in the west it is reported he served on the staffs of Generals Negley and Schofield.  After his muster out he went to Colorado where he engaged in mining, and, at length, lost all his savings.  He then returned to Cincinnati where he went to work in Chamberlain's foundry on Hunt Street, where B. H. Kroger's great warehouse now stands.  He had never done a day's work of that kind before, but he was a man of wonderful resources and determination.  He earned probably $8 or $10 a week there, and, with his great business instinct made the best possible use of what he gained.  He organized the Park Driving Association, and was made its president, 1875.  In that capacity he became the owner of several trotters, among them the great Maud S., that was purchased by W. K. Vanderbilt for $21,000, and by him sold to Robert Bonner of the 'New York Ledger' for $40,000.  Captain Stone's trainer, one Bair, in accordance with instructions to buy a likely young filly if he could secure one, bought her from Horace Bugher for $350.  She was exceedingly green and unpromising when he took her in hand, so, at length, he became completely disgusted with her, and one morning when his employer had driven as usual to the park, he announced she was not worth her feeding because she would not settle in her trotting.  'All she wants is to acquire confidence', said the Captain.  'When I was a boy and wanted to break colts that were unmanageable, we used to drive them through fodder.  Try her in that field', pointing to the inside field of the park that had been planted with corn for fodder which was at that time from eighteen to twenty-four inches in height. The gate was opened, and in the fiery young filly was driven.  She floundered and fought, but after the second or third trial the desired result was gained, and from that day she became her own mistress and did not really require a driver.  Maud S. (so named after the captain's eldest daughter), was the fastest horse ever driven to a highwheeled sulky, and but for a mistake on the part of Bair, Captain Stone would easily have made a half million dollars out of her.  The driver had been cautioned never to exercise her when other horses were on the track, but John Span slpped out behind him one day with a fast gelding on which he had about closed a match with the captain.  Before Blair could realize it she cut out a pace that threw Span's horse off his feet and showed she was invincible.  Of course the mare was at one left severely alone, although she did not trot one race that summer.  This queen of the track died St. Patrick's day, 1900.

With the money received for his pet horse he had accumulated capital enough to acquire much stock in the Bell Telephone Company, purchasing when it was going at the lowest figure and keeping it until it had attained phenominal value.  In 1878 he became a director, and, in 1882, president and general manager.  It was his policy to keep just a little ahead of demand.  He often said he never allowed the public to make him do anything.  Sometime since the rates on telephones were reduced all over that city.  Captain Stone had considered the matter and started in that direction a good while before he was able to accomplish his object.  One day while considering the subject, a prominent citizen told him his prices were too high, and that he ought to be forced to come down.  The captain went into a rage at once, and declared his rates were not too high and that he would not have to come down, and showed reasons for what he said.  His wrath was kindled because he feared he would not be able to get his plans through before others might come at him in the same way, and he wanted to make lower rates before they did.  Quite noticeable, also, is the manner in which he treated his employees.  He considered their labor so much increase in capital, and at the end of the year paid them the same dividend he did the stockholders according to their respective wages.  The result was complaintes were few and a rival company has never been spoken of in that city.

Captain Stone's death occurred at his palatial mansion in Vernonville, O., March 8, 1901, from septicaemia following appendicitis.  Like too many others he had neglected the promonitary symptoms of a disease comparatively manageable at the outset, but most serious if permitted to have free course. Just one week before, at five P. M., he called into his office his assistant manager and his secretary, and said: 'I am going to California to-morrow. This is the first vacation I have taken since I came to the telephone.  I want you to wire me once a week if everything is right here and at home. You run the old machine and don't let me know anything.  I shall be gone thirty days.  I have got my tickets arranged and I am going to get away quickly because I am afraid if the doctors know that I am going they'll stop me.'  Then he had a short gasping spell and said:  'I have a terrible pain right in there,' pointing to the right side of his abdomen.  At the suggestion of a friend he sent down stairs and secured a drink of brandy. That he had been in agony for an hour was very plain, because the perspiration was pouring down his neck and had taken all the starch out of his turn-down collar.  He bade everybody good-by as he put on his overcoat, and laughingly excused himself to some of the lady operators as he bumped into them when leaving the elevator.  Walking up the street with a number of friends, he said:  'I am a little worried about my stomach, but I never felt so happy and satisfied as I do to-night on leaving for a good, long rest.  I appointed Perin Langdon my private secretary, and if you want any influence with me you'll have to get it through him.'  That was the last time he was in Cincinnati.

At the time of his death he was director and one of the largest owners in the street railway, gas, and coke companies; a member of the Queen City, the Commercial, the Business Men's, the Picadilly, the Avondale, the Cuvier, the Clifton Golf and Riding clubs, and also of the Chamber of Commerce and the Ohio Commanderty of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion.  He had served the city with which he was long and prominently identified as councilman, alderman, and member of the Board of Education.  He was not a member of any secret society nor did he carry any life insurance.  His remains were interred in Spring Grove Cemetery, and the obsequies, which were carried out in strict accord with his oft expressed wich:  'Bury me as plainly as you can,' were conducted by the Rev. George Thayer, a Uniterian clergyman.

Mr. Stone married May 20, 1861, Arvilla S. Willard, of Gardner, Mass., by whom he had three daughters, Mrs. Maud Stone Cary, of New York City, Miss Mary and Miss Eleanor, all of whom survive him.  Mrs. Stone died December 26, 1886; later he married a Mrs. Harrington of Boston, who presented him with no heir, but was proven a veritable mother to her stepchildren.

Captain Stone was a very social man.  He had a wider acquaintance than almost anyone else in the city could claim, and this acquaintance was a distinct gain to its possessor.  His friendships were of the deepest kind, nor could he stand any difference that bore the slightest touch of estangement.  He was extremely liberal, but his benefactions were conferred so quietly none but the recipient had knowledge of it.  Not less than half a dozen of Cincinnati's prominent men owe their present standing and success to the money he gave them to start in business.  Several artists who are abroad received liberal allowances from him, and he frequently purchased pictures from struggling painters, all of which he facetiously said went into the art gallery in the tower of his home.  He was also public-spirited in the highest sense of the term.  When the affairs of the Zoo were at a crisis, he was the first to rise in the Optimist Club and subscribed $5,000 for its relief, a step that finally resulted in its present good financial standing.  When the matter of parks was agitated he approached the president of the commission and guaranteed to pay the expenses of legislation for the passage of a bill allowing Cincinnati to issue bonds for their establishment.  He it was that secured the substitution of electricity for horses in the railroads of that city, and was the originator of many improvements in its service, though a majority of the directors were too conservative to adopt all his reforms.  He was the first to advocate burying all wires, and set the example by interring his own.  Of course, death has, at least temporarily checked the materialization of many plans he was entertaining for the benefit of the city, as the erection of a million dollar hotel, a skyscraper, and a country clubhouse.  The construction of a million dollar building for light manufacturing had previously fallen through because of inability to secure a proper site.  His death will long be felt in the city of his adoption.  Few men were so generally beloved as he by old and young, rich and poor alike, for he was never so happy as when doing some unexpected act of kindness.  His remembrance will be cherished as a bright example of the inherent excellence of manhood.

Some three years before his death a woman went to her pastor and told him that for months her husband had been out of work, that despite determined efforts he had been unable to secure employment, that they were face to face with starvation, and if he was unable to help her they intended that night to end their lives with charcoal fumes.  Incidently she mentioned coming from a certain New England city.  The minister said at once:  'That's the native town of Capt. George N. Stone.  I know him very well, and he is man of charity, and I believe he will be able to do something for you.'  'The last man on earth to whom we could go,' replied the woman.  'My husband and I knew George Stone when we were young.  When we were married he was the only young man in town who was not invited to our wedding, and the truth is, he was slighted because he was a poor boy, and we considered ourselves above him, and I know he felt it keenly.'  The clergyman assured her that he did not think Captain Stone would harbor ill-will and prevailed upon her to accompany him to his office.  When her story was made known the Captain not only did not speak of former days but lost no time in providing a good paying position for the man which is still retained.

<facing page:  portrait of G. N. Stone>

p. 327 - 328:

JOHN SULLIVAN. Adjutant John Sullivan was born in Waterford, Ireland, in 1834.  He served in the Sixth United States Infantry, Col. Albert Sidney Johnston, during the Mormon War.  From that regiment he was discharged in 1862, holding at the time the rank of sergeant-major.  With a comrade he came east and enlisted in Company D, of which he was the first orderly sergeant.  December 2d he was on detached duty as acting sergeant-major.  Jan. 7, 1863, he was promoted to second lieutenant and assigned to Company K.  On the 22d he was detailed acting adjutant, to which position he was commissioned March 1st, with the rank of first lieutenant.  Just at dark, July 14th, he left the author and a comrade on the front line whither he had conducted them to point out the body of Sergt. John K. Hull, of Company K.  He had directed them to remove it to the rear and prepare it for burial, which instructions were carried out, but the adjutant missed his way and wandered into the rebel lines, where he was made prisoner.  He was confined in Andersonville and other prisons until Feb. 22, 1865, when he was paroled at James River, Va.

While at Salisbury, N.C., he organized a squad of prisoners who went to work and excavated a tunnel some sixty yards in length.  On the first dark night, six departed, three going one way, three the opposite.  The Sullivan squad traveled until morning, and then visited a negro cabin, soliciting advice. The colored man took them in, kept them and after dark conducted them several miles to the home of another friendly darky who took them through the mountains to East Tennessee, where they expected absolute freedom in the immediate future.  Suddenly a man appeared in the road they were traveling. He halted them, and, when they replied evasively to his challenge, he charged them with being escaped Union prisoners and ordered them to come with him.  Thus they were returned for several additional months to rebel bondage.

He was borne as absent with leave for thirty days by orders dated February 26th, but did not rejoin the regiment until the evening of April 3d, when the command had bivouacked on the first night out of Peterburg in pursuit of Lee.

After his muster out, June 9th, he returned to his former home in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was married October 25th.  That same year he enlisted in the Eighteenth United States Infantry, at Columbus, Ohio, and stationed at Fort Lyon, Kan.; Fort McPherson, Neb.; Fort Fullerman, Wyo., and other places, holding the rank of sergeant-major.  Upon the expiration of his term of service (1868) he was discharged at Julesburg, Col.  He died at Loveland, Larmer Country, Col., July 3, 1872.  His occupation had been that of bookkeeper.

p. 414 - 415:

GEORGE A. SWARTS. Corporal George Augustus Swarts, son of Gardner Taber and Elisha Wood Ham Swarts (sic), was born in Providence, Jan. 15, 1830.  His education was recieved in the public schools of that city.  He was a member of the second class that entered the old high school on Benefit Street, between Angell and Waterman.  That was in the year 1844.  Upon the conclusion of his studies he entered into business life, and after a time, was associated with his father as a funeral director.  At the battle of Fredericksburg, he was severely wounded, a bullet penetrating his chest near its centre and lodging at some unknown part of its interior.  He was sent to Carver General Hospital, Jan. 12, 1863, when he received a leave of absence for sixty days, reaching home on the seventeenth.  He underwent careful examination at Washington and at his home, resulting in his discharge on surgeon's certificate dated at Providence May 10, 1863.  He died on pneumonia April 19, 1867, and was buried with Masonic honors, being a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 1, of that city.  He had married Feb. 28, 1850, Elizabeth Davison, a native of Doneybraggy, Moneymore, County Derry, Ireland, who with a daughter and a son, George G. Swarts, survived him.  Mrs. Swarts died Aug. 6, 1900, aged seventy-two years, eleven months, five days.

p. 415:

JOSEPH S. SWEATT. Sergeant Joseph Sawyer Sweatt, eldest son of Ira and Mary S. Sweatt, was born in the town of Boscawen, N.H., Oct. 28, 1843.  He was fitted in the schools of that town and of Fisherville (now Penncook) for the Tilton (N.H.) Seminary, which he left for the purpose of enlisting in the Second New Hampshire, a three months' regiment.  He was thus present at the First Bull Run.  During the retreat he was one of the many who were lost from their regiment and was reported killed, but, at length, he found his way back to his command.  Upon his muster out he immediately joined the Second New Hampshire (three years) Volunteers, but soon after was taken sick, discharged, and sent home.  A little later he went to Woonsocket, R.I., where an uncle resided, the late Enoch Sweatt, railroad contractor, and was by him employed as an assistant civil engineer.  When the call came for 'three hundred thousand more', he enlisted as an orderly sergeant in the Seventh Rhode Island.  He was wounded at Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, 1862, and was taken to Windmill Point Hospital, Md.  There his father visited him, and, after fourteen days, was able to remove him to Washington.  After a brief rest he took him home to New Hampshire, but he lived only ten days after his arrival.  Yet he was very thankful to gaze once more upon familiar scenes, and to die among his friends.  His final and fatal illness was typhoid fever, to which he succumbed March 6, 1863.  Three older sisters survive.

p. 415:

JOB R. SWEETLAND. Job Russell Sweetland, only child of Job Russell and Jane Chase Russell Sweetland, was born at Pawtucket, R.I., Dec. 13, 1841.  As he lost his parents when very young, most of his life was passed with Mrs. Ann G. Sweetland, his grandmother, and Mrs. Mary A. Woodworth, an aunt whose husband, John A. Woodworth, was for many years a saleman at Kimball's Clothing House on Washington Row, Providence.  Mrs. Woodworth, now resides, a widow, at No. 352 Pine Street, in that city.  As might be inferred, most of Job's days were spent there, and there he secured what was considered a good English education.  Meanwhile, he connected himself with a tailoring establishment, first as errand boy, then as stock clerk and general assistant.  This was his occupation at the time of his enlistment.  He was wounded in the hip at Fredericksburg and lay for a long time on the cold ground, through one night surely, before he was cared for.  He was then taken to a hospital in Washington, D. C., where after lingering some weeks, he died of gangrene, then believed to be the result of severe exposure and long delay in receiving proper attention.  His uncle, Albert W. Sweetland, of Providence, went to him, spent much time with him, was present at his death, Feb. 28, 1863, and brought his body home with him.  It was buried in Mineral Spring Cemetery, Pawtucket.  Job was possessed of marked mechanical ability, and had given indications of inventive talent.  He received his death wound on the twenty-first anniversary of his birth.

7th Regiment Continued

These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcribed 2000 by Beth Hurd
MailIf you have a (pre-1922) contribution from a Rhode Island book or newspaper you would like to share, please send me an e-mail with the publication title, author, and publisher. Thanks.