Biographies of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity, 12
Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers. If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with information.

Illustrated History of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity

by Robert Grieve, 1897
Providence: Published by Henry R. Caufield

Biographies of Prominent Citizens.
Note:  A few more pages of biographies were added to the previous alphabetized biographies (pp. 486-500).

p. 486.

BARNEFIELD, Thomas Pierce, son of John and Eliza Ann (Thayer) Barnefield, was born March 25, 1844, in Boston, Mass., and was educated in the public schools of Massachusetts.  His father died when he was eight years old, and his mother was married to Martin Snow, of North Bridgewater, now Brockton. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in the 35th regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers and served with his regiment in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Vicksburg, and Jackson, and was mustered out at the close of the war with the rank of first lieutenant.  In 1865 he located in Pawtucket, and entered as a student in the law office of Pardon E. Tillinghast, now associate justice of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of Rhode Island.  Oct. 8, 1870, he was admitted to the bar, and has since practiced his profession in Pawtucket.  In 1871-72 he was elected by the general assembly a judge of the magistrates' court for Pawtucket and vicinity; and was appointed judge of the Probate Court of Pawtucket for the years 1879-80-81.  He was elected a member of the General Assembly from Pawtucket for the sessions of 1880, 1881, 1884, 1885, 1886 and 1887.  In 1884 he was appointed town solicitor of Pawtucket, and, upon the organization of the city government in 1886, he was elected city solitior and held that office until 1896.  He is, by appointment of the supreme court, one of the standing masters in chancery for the county of Providence. In 1880 he was appointed assistant judge advocate general of the state, with the rank of captain.  He is a member of the Congregational church and for the last eighteen years has been superintendent of the Sabbath school.  From October, 1892, to October, 1894, he was president of the Congregational Club of Rhode Island; and in 1895 was chosen a director of the Rhode Island Home Missionery Society.

Since 1888 he has been a trustee of the Franklin Savings Bank.  In 1871 he was married to Clara Josephine Paine, by which union there are three children:  Florence May; Harold Chester; Ralph Tillinghast.  Mr. Barnefield is descended in the ninth generation on his mother's side from John Alden who came to America in the Mayflower in 1620.  His father, formerly of Gloucestershire, England, is a descendant of John Barneveldt, who was Grand Pensionary of Holland in the beginning of the seventeenth century.

p. 486 - 488:

BEACH, James Workman, the son of William B. and Sarah (Kanodle) Beach, was born in New Orleans, Dec. 23, 1860.  He was educated in the public schools and in the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence.  In 1876 went into the stock raising business in Colorado where he remained six years.  He then came back to Providence, was employed as bookkeeper by several firms, and became well known as an accountant, giving much of his time to auditing intricate accounts.  In May, 1895, he bought out the Standard Bottling Co., at 318-322-324 East avenue, Pawtucket.  The company manufactures carbonated beverages, including lemon soda, sarsaparilla, gingerale, birch beer, blood orange, and many other flavors.  The premises on East avenue are excellently equipped for the manufacture; an artesian well 276 feet deep furnishes a supply of pure water at the rate of 40 gallons per minute.  The basis of all the beverages is therefore uncontaminated, and this fact is the principal reason for the excellent reputation that the product of the company has in the community.

A branch of the business which is increasing very fast is the bottling of the famous Narragansett lager, both for immediate use and export.  The output of the export lager is 150 barrels a week.  The company runs five wagons, covering Pawtucket, Providence and nearby places.  The extracts used in the soda are made from pure fruit juice and oils.  The company employs at present twenty men.  Since the business came under Mr. Beach's control it has been enlarged and many modern machines introduced.  The output is now twice as great as when Mr. Beach bought out the company.  In connection with the local trade goods are shipped to the southern states and through the eastern part of Massachusetts.

Mr. Beach was married to Annie Ogden Crowell Oct. 28, 1885.  She is the granddaughter of Captain George Child, commander of the Steamer Lexington which was burned on Long Island Sound, many years ago, only two of the entire crew and passengers surviving.  Captain Child being one of the lost. By this union there are three children:  J. Harold, b. Nov. 28, 1886; Annie Beatrice, b. Oct. 28, 1891; Florence Mildred, b. April 25, 1893.

illustrations on facing page (page 497): photos, James W. Beach, proprietor, standard Bottling Co.;  Richard M. Burns, furnishing undertaker;  Duncan H. Campbell, inventor;  Preston A. Chace, grocer;  John Ervin, grocer, etc.;  Edson T. Cheever, councilman, first ward;  Wheaton Cole, contractor and builder.

p. 488:

BRANAGHAN, John H., was born Nov. 19, 1856, in Rehoboth, Mass. He attended the public schools of his native town until he was 17 years old, when he learned the jewelry trade at Attleboro, and became a skilled workman.  He first engaged in business in North Attleboro, but in 1889 came to Pawtucket, locating at 17 North Main street, subsequently moving to 17 Exchange street, and finally locating in his present commodious quarters in the Payne building, corner Broad and Railroad streets.  Mr. Branaghan is a careful, conservative business man and all his ventures have been uniformly successful.  Nov. 29, 1895, he was married to Mary Eliza Johnson (nee Donnelly) of Pawtucket.

p. 488:

BUCKLIN, Charles R., of the firm of Bucklin & Trescott, son of Stephen R. and Amy Cudworth (Lawton) Bucklin, was born in Pawtucket, R. I., Jan. 5, 1847.  The Bucklins were among the first settlers of Rehoboth, and members of the family were the first white owners of a great deal of land which now forms the east side of the city of Pawtucket.  Here for many generations the Bucklins were substantial farmers.  The father of Charles R. was a native of Smithfield, but came to Pawtucket when a youth, learned to be a blacksmith, and afterwards carried on that business himself at the corner of Church street and East avenue until about 1886.

Charles R. attended the Pawtucket schools and the high school until he was 16 years of age when he entered the hardware store of George A. Mumford & Co., where he stayed one year.  Then for three years he was with Barker, Whittaker & Co., of Providence as a clerk.  In January, 1869, he became bookkeeper for James Davis, of Pawtucket, in the leather belting business, and remained there until the company failed in 1884, when he and Waldo Trescott were appointed managers of the concern, the Davis Belting Co.  They remained as managers until the fire in 1893, when the property was entirely burned.  Then they formed the independent firm of Bucklin & Trescott, which now manufactures belting from oak tanned leather.  The new firm has built up a large trade as the legitimate successors of the James Davis Belting Co. Mr. Bucklin is a Republican.  He was clerk of the school committee for four years, was a town councilman, has been clerk and moderator of election district and has served as city auditor.  He is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church.  He belongs to Union Lodge, No. 10, of which he has been secretary since 1871; Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter, No. 4, secretary for four years; Holy Sepulchre Commandery; Pawtucket Council Royal and Select Masters, of which he is past recorder.  He is also a member of the Providence Athletic Association.  Mr. Bucklin was married in 1881 to Annie Tennant of Pawtucket, niece of Hon. George L. Littlefield, and they have had three children:  Amy Elizabeth, Ethel Littlefield, and Ruth, all born in Pawtucket.

p. 488 - 489:

BURNS, Richard M., was born April 1, 1861, in Brooklyn, N. Y., and is the son of James and Alice (Bryne) Burns, who located in Central Falls when Richard was five years old.  He attended the public schools at Central Falls, whither his parents had moved.  In 1886 he opened a news depot and periodical store on Mill street.  In the same year he joined with Thomas J. Crane in the undertaking business, which partnership was dissolved in 1895, since which time he has been engaged exclusively in the undertaking business.  He is a graduate of the United States College of Embalming and also a member of the executive committee of the New England Undertakers' Association.

Mr. Burns is prominent in local politics and has been a candidate for the General Assembly on the Democratic ticket.  He is a member of the Society of Good Fellows, and the Ancient Order of Foresters, being treasurer of the latter.  He was captain of the famous Central Falls Cadets Drill Squad, when they competed for the championship of the United States at Springfield, Mass., Oct. 10, 1886, held the position of captain for four years, and was a member of the organization for 12 years.  In 1884 he was married to Alice Caden of Central Falls, and they have six children:  Alice, Eugene and Edward, born in Pawtucket; Mary, John and Louise, born in Central Falls.

p. 489:

CAMPBELL, Duncan H., was born Sept. 1, 1828, at Sutherland, Scotland, and died in Pawtucket, R. I., Nov. 2, 1894.  He came to this country with his parents in 1834.  They having located in Boston he received his education in the public schools of that city, where he brought forth the series of inventions which made his name so famous.  The first of these was 'The New England and New Era Legging and Stitching Machine', which was at this time the only machine used for stitching cavalry boots, and for which there was a great demand.  This gave him at once a national reputation.  After searching for twenty years he invented a practical wax thread, lock-stitch, sewing machine.  It gave to the company a guarantee against all competitors and put upon the market the only perfect shoe sewing machine in the world.

His next invention of importance was a machine for the manufacture of cloth-covered buttons.  The then existing contrivances for this work on the market were very complicated and required the services of two men to operate each machine.  Mr. Campbell's invention dispensed with these attendants, the machine being automatic in its action.

Mr. Campbell was a charter member of Clan Fraser, No. 11, Order of Scottish Clans, and was its first chief.  Among Scotsmen particularly Mr. Campbell was held in the highest esteem, being a man of fine physique, great good-heartedness, and a thorough representative Highlandman in the proper sense of the term.

p. 489 - 490:

CARTY, Gilbert, was born in 1833, Country Roscommon, Ireland.  He was a farmer's son and received his education in his native country.  At the age of 18 he left the land of his birth and settled in Quidnick, R. I., where he soon afterwards identified himself with the A. & W. Sprague Manufacturing Co., of that place.  After remaining with them three years he spent the succeeding three years in the state of Wisconsin.  In 1839 he returned to Quidnick, where he met and married Miss Winfred Greeley, a woman of high Christian character, who proved a worthy helpmate, and to her counsel and assistance Mr. Carty feels indebted for a generous measure of the success which has attended his business enterprises.  Two sons and four daughters were the fruits of Mr. and Mrs. Carty's happy union, and of these one son and three daughters are living:  Bernard F., Mary E., Bridget, and Margaret A.

During the first 14 years after his marriage Mr. Carty was with the Valley Falls Co., and subsequently with the Berkeley Co., in Cumberland.  In 1879 he established a periodical store on the old Mendon road, in that town, and carried on there a prosperous business for three years.  He then moved with his family to Central Falls and engaged in the grocery and provision business on Richardson street.  In 1892 the volume of his trade required more extensive quarters and he erected and occupied the block located at the corner of Pine and Richardson streets, where he has ever since carried on a lucrative business.  Mr. Carty has an able assistant in the person of his son, Bernard F.

As a citizen Mr. Carty has always taken an active part in public affairs. His honesty of purpose and straight-forward manner wins and holds the esteem of his fellowmen.  He was elected to the Lincoln town council in 1889, where he served his term with marked ability.  In 1890 he was returned to the council.  In politics Mr. Carty is a Democrat.  He has always been a leader in the councils of his party and was for years a member of the town and state committees.

Mr. Carty is a Roman Catholic, being a devoted member of Holy Trinity parish, in all concerns of which he is greatly interested.  His influence and purse are always at the disposal of church work, and every charitable object, whether in his own church or in another, no matter of what demonimation, finds in him a ready and generous supporter.  Mr. Carty is prominent in the membership of several Catholic societies, and is president of the Holy Name Society of his parish.  He is also a member of the Central Falls Assembly, Royal Society of Good Fellows.  He is a thorough-going, intelligent, progressive citizen and business man, one who can be counted upon at all times for the right.  Plain of manner, frank of speech, sincere of purpose and prompt in the performance of every obligation, the community has no member more entitled to its respect than Gilbert Carty.

p. 490 - 491:

CHACE, Jonathan, United States Senator from Rhode Island from 1885 to 1889, and one of the leading cotton manufacturers in New England, was born in Fall River, Mass., July 22, 1829.  He is the son of Harvey Chace and the grandson of Oliver Chace.  The latter was the pioneer cotton manufacturer in Fall River.  Jonathan was educated at the Friends School, Providence, and at Leicester Acadmy, Mass.  He first engaged in business in Philadelphia in 1850, and in 1857 became connected with his father and uncle in the cotton mills at Valley Falls and Albion, established by them.  He is interested in various industrial and other enterprises including insurance companies, railroads, savings and national banks, and is a director of the Pawtucket Gas Co.  In politics he is a Republican and has been a member of the town council and of the state senate.  In 1880 he was elected to the National House of Representatives from the Second Rhode Island District, and was re-elected in 1882.  He was elected to the United States Senate to serve the unexpired term of Henry B. Anthony, deceased, Jan. 26, 1885, and re-elected in 1888 for the full term of six years, but resigned in March, 1889.

Mr. Chace is a member of the Society of Friends, in which religious organization his ancestors have been prominent for many generations.  He was married October, 1854, to Jane C. Moon, and from this union there are three children:  Anna H., Elizabeth M. and Susan A. (the latter deceased).  His father was born at Somerset, Mass., Aug. 31, 1797.  The family is one of the oldest in the United States, and the founder, William Chace, came to this country with Gov. Endicott and settled in Salem, Mass.

Mr. Chace is a man of pronounced ability, and his counsel is frequently asked and moreover his advice is followed, for his keen discernment, executive force and rugged reliability are recognized.  In social life he is of a sterling disposition and in commercial affairs he is clean, direct, forceful and certain.  Were he ambitious for political life he could be elected to any office within the gift of the people of Rhode Island.

illustration on page 490: photo, Jonathan Chace, United States Senator from Rhode Island, 1885-1889.

p. 491:

CHACE, Preston A., was born June 12, 1848, in Pawtucket, and is the son of Hiram T. and Phoebe (Nickerson) Chace.  His ancestors came originally from Wales and settled at Swansey, Mass., at the beginning of the last century. His grandfather, Luther Chace, was engaged in the teaming and express business in Pawtucket in the early part of the present century.  Preston A. attended the public schools until 1861, when his parents moved to Providence, returning in 1865.  In 1868 he went to Boston and learned the trade of a painter with his uncle, Reuben A. Chace.  In 1870 he returned to Pawtucket and became clerk and bookkeeper for Freeman & Kelley, stove and hardware dealers in Providence.  In 1873 he joined his father in the grocery business, and Jan. 1, 1874, was admitted into partnership when the firm name became H. T. Chace & Son.  The store at that time was located on School street, but is now at No. 2 Prospect street.  In 1890 Mr. Chace purchased his father's interest and has since conducted the business alone.  He is a member of the First Free Baptist church; he was for nine years its treasurer.  He joined the Pawtucket Fire Department in 1876, was appointed captain in 1881, and was eight years secretary of the Charitable Relief Association of the Pawtucket Fire Department.  He was a member of the Rhode Island militia from 1865 to 1869.  In 1872 he was married to Lizzie Hawkins of Pawtucket, who died Dec. 8, 1872.  He was married the second time in 1876, to Charlotte Woolsey of England, by which union there have been four children:  Arthur L., b. May, 1877; Reuben A., b. Nov. 7, 1878, d. March 17, 1896; Jessie, b. 1881; Walter W., b. Nov. 30, 1888, d. March 2, 1890.

p. 491:

CHEEVER, Edson T., son of George Edson and Ann (Cheetham) Cheever, was born May 26, 1856, at St. Anthony's Falls, Minnesota.  After the death of his father his mother came to North Attleboro, Mass., in 1857, where he attended the public schools.  When 15 years old he learned the jewelry business and became an expert diamond setter.  He is employed by Dutee, Wilcox & Co., Providence, and resides at 113 Cottage street, Pawtucket.  In politics he is a Republican and represented the first ward in the Pawtucket city council in 1894, 1895, 1896, and was elected to serve in 1897.  He is a member of the New England Order of Protection.  Nov. 13, 1879, he was married to Annice A. Illingworth of Providence.  His father was born in Wrentham, Mass., and followed the occupation of a watchmaker.  The name of Cheever was probably first brought to New England by that justly celebrated classical teacher, Ezekiel Cheever, who came to this county in 1637.  He died in 1708, aged 94.

p. 491 - 492:

CHICAGO BEEF CO. --  Messrs. G. F. and E. C. Swift, proprietors of the Chicago Beef Co., commenced business in Pawtucket in 1880, under the management of J. F. Abbott, with a full line of western dressed beef, mutton, pork and provisions.  Mr. Abbott managed the business for ten years, when owing to poor health he was obliged to retire.  The rapid increase in business made it necessary to erect a large business block on Bayley street in 1890.  Upon the retirement of Mr. Abbott, R. A. Adams took the management and conducted the business until 1895, when H. N. Swift, the present manager took charge.  In 1893 the firm added to the business a packing department for the purpose of corning beef for export trade, and this department has increased from 50 to 300 barrels a month.  The storerooms are situated on the main line of N. Y., N. H. & H. R. R., and are equipped with all the modern appliances.  The weekly output is from 4 to 5 cars of dressed beef, 300 sheep and lambs, 20 hogs, besides large quantities of hams, pork, sausage, bacon, tripe, tongues, lard and the modern cook's shortening 'Cotosnet', the last article being the exclusive product of this house.  The company employs nine men and utilizes five teams in the delivery department.

p. 492:

COLE, Wheaton, inspector of public buildings, was born, Sept. 21, 1838, at Rehoboth, Mass.  He attended the public schools at Attleboro and Rehoboth until he was 16 years old.  After leaving school he worked on his father's farm.  In 1856 he came to Pawtucket and learned the trade of a carpenter. He worked as a journeyman for a number of years, and in 1868 he established himself as a contractor and builder at his present location, 23 Elm street. In 1887 he was elected a member of the school committee and served three years.  In 1891, 1892, 1893 and 1894 he was elected to the General Assembly from Pawtucket.  In 1895 he declined a renomination, but in 1896 he was again a candidate for the Assembly and was elected.  While a member of the General Assembly he was chairman of the committee on corporations; a member of the committee on education, and of the committee on special legislation. He was one of the commissioners of the state armory located in Pawtucket. He has been inspector of public buildings in the city of Pawtucket since 1893.

Mr. Cole was married to Ruth W. Peck, by which union there is one child, a daughter.  He was married the second time to Mary E. White, of Attleboro, by which union there are two children:  Roy Wheaton and George L.  He belongs to the Masonic Order and the Odd Fellows, and is a member of the Pawtucket Business Mens' Association.

Mr. Cole's ancestors came from England and located in New England about 1650.  His father, Zenas, was born near Attleboro, where he died in 1889.

illustration on page 492: photo, residence of Frederick Bates, Pawtucket.

p. 492 - 494:

COLLINS, James, son of James and Catherine (Feghan) Collins, was born in 1820 in County Monaghan, Ireland.  He alternately attended school until he was 15 years old and worked on a farm in his native place until he was 24 years old when he came to America and located at Pawtucket a short time and then went to Providence, where for three years he lived on a farm.  He then went as an overseer into the Butler Insane Hospital, where he remained some eighteen months.  Later he was employed by the Providence and Worcester railroad as fireman, which occupation he followed for three years.  In 1856 he commenced the buying and selling of old iron and paper stock, and for a time was a member of the firm of Collins, Kelly & Masterson, Providence, wholesale dealers in iron, metals, paper, and general junk stock.  Upon retiring from the Providence firm he devoted his time to his Pawtucket enterprise and built up a large and prosperous business.  He retired from active business pursuits in 1894, and since then has devoted his attention to the care of his properties.  He lives at 142 Pawtucket avenue, in the house which he has owned since 1856.  In politics he is a Democrat, and was a member of the city council from the fifth ward in 1886.  He was one of the organizers of the first temperance society in Pawtucket.  He is a member of St. Mary's Church society and for seven years its treasurer.  In 1850 he was married to Anne Whalen, of Pawtucket, in the 'Long House' on North Main street.  By this union eleven children were born:  Kate, Mary Ann, Rose Ann, Bridget, Mary, John, James, Jr., Bernard, Annie, Maggie, Rose.  Mr. Collins's ancestors were born and lived in Ireland where they were prosperous farmers and cattle raisers.

illustrations on facing page (page 493): photos, Gilbert Carty, grocer;  Roswell H. Fairman, musician;  William S. McCaughey, attorney-at-law;  George H. Spaulding, proprietor, Central Falls Ice Co.

p. 494:

CRANE, Thomas Joseph, was born in Providence, R. I., March 11, 1861.  He attended the public schools from the age of five until he was eleven years old, when he went to work in the Allen printworks, where he remained nine years.  He later learned the undertaking business with Patrick Quinn, Providence, and then went as assistant to John McCusker, undertaker, Central Falls.  Two years later he formed a copartnership with R. M. Burns, as furnishing undertakers and funeral directors and newspaper and periodical dealers at Central Falls.  Six years later they sold out the periodical business and devoted their time to undertaking.  In 1895 the firm was dissolved and Mr. Crane opened an undertaking establishment at 502 Mill street, Central Falls.  He is a graduate of Clarke's School of Embalming, Providence.  His assistant at present is Frank Saunders, a graduate of the Massachusetts School of Embalming.  His present establishment is one of the best equipped in the state.  He ranks high as a funeral director and is frequently called upon to direct for other undertakers.  He assisted Thomas Toye in conducting the funeral of the late George J. West, of Providence, which was one of the largest in the state.  The first funeral conducted by him after forming the partnership with Mr. Burns was then of John Gahan, which was the largest funeral cortege ever seen in Pawtucket.  He was a delegate from the New England Undertakers' Association to the national convention in Louisville, Ky., Oct. 5 and 6, 1892.  For two years he was president of Branch 265, Catholic Knights of America, Central Falls.

March 2, 1886, he was married to Mary Josephine McGuirle of Providence, daughter of Thomas and Alice McGuirle, to whom five children were born: Josephine, Mary, Thomas, Mary and Ann (deceased).  Mr. Crane is a member of Delaney Council, Knights of Columbus;  Holy Name Society of the Sacred Heart church, and Court Flower of Dexter, Order of Foresters.

p. 494 - 496:

CRONIN, William J., attorney-at-law, was born in Malden, Mass., April 10, 1868, son of Cornelius J. and Margaret (Gainey) Cronin.  His father removed to Pawtucket in 1875, where he continued to reside until his death in the fall of 1895.  He was a prominent contractor and builder, well known in the line of his work throughout the state.

Mr. Cronin received his early education in the public schools of Pawtucket. Afterwards he entered La Salle Academy, Providence, R. I., in which institution after his graduation he was engaged as a teacher for about two years.  Then he went to Washington, D. C., to further prosecute his studies, and for four years was connected with St. John's College.  From this institution he took his degree of Bachelor of Arts, and was on its staff of professors, as teacher of stenography, English and mathematics for three years.  While in Washington Mr. Cronin took up the study of law, and entered the law department of Georgetown University in 1892, where after a three years' course he graduated the prize man of his class with the professional degrees of L. L. B. and L. M. M.  He also took a post-graduate course in philosophy, history and literature in the academic department of Georgetown University, in recognition of which he was honored by his alma mater with the degree of master of arts.  While a student of law at Georgetown University he was chosen to represent the school in the famous debate between the law departments of Columbian and Georgetown Universities, and it was conceded that the victory won by Georgetown was largely due to Mr. Cronin's brilliant presentation.

In the summer of 1895 he was admitted to the Rhode Island bar, and soon after entered into the practice of his profession, having his principal office in the Swartz building, Providence, with a home office in the Pacific Bank building, Pawtucket.  In 1896 he was elected on the school committee, Pawtucket, for the term of three years.

illustrations on facing page (page 495): photos, James Collins, retired merchant;  William J. Cronin, lawyer;  Thomas J. Craine, funeral director and undertaker;  August Franz Donath, proprietor, City Hotel;  Isaac Jenks;  Charles F. Luther, manager, Pawtucket Street Railway.

p. 496:

DEXTER, George E., son of Pardon N. and Abigail N. (Wilbur) Dexter, was born Aug. 23, 1856, in Lewiston, Me., where he attended the public schools until he was 15 years old.  He then went into the Androscoggin mills under his father.  He was placed in the spinning department and learned the business.  When 25 years old he became an overseer in a mill at Newburyport, Mass., where he remained two years.  Then he went to the Boston Manufacturing Co., at Waltham, Mass., as overseer, where he had charge of 65000 spindles.  Afterwards he was employed in a similar capacity in the Pacific mills, Lawrence, Mass., where he remained several years, when he was engaged as overseer at the Ann and Hope Mills of the Lonsdale Company, which position he now holds.  He has charge of 100 operatives and runs 28000 spindles.  The spooling, warping and dressing departments are included under his charge.  Mr. Dexter is an expert at his business and owes his superior knowledge to the training received from his father who was a leader, and so recognized, among mill men.  His father died in Lewiston at the age of 73. Mr. Dexter is a member of the Lawrence Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 150, of Lawrence, Mass.  Nov. 11, 1876, he was married to Dora A. Lucie, of Houlton, Me., by which union there is one child, Viva A., born at Lewiston, Dec. 26, 1877.  She is an accomplished musician, a teacher of the violin, and a member of the Talma Orchestra, Providence.

p. 496:

DONATH, August Franz, proprietor of the City Hotel, was born May 14, 1846, at Alsleben An Saale in Germany.  He was the seventh child of Christian and Frederica Donath.  His father was a miller and farmer, and died in Germany in 1866.  Franz  was accorded all the educational advantages of the common schools of his native place until he was 14 years old, and assisted his father at times in the mill and on the farm.  After completing his schooling he went to Leipzig and served his apprenticeship to the trade of a professional cook.  When 19 years old he became a cook in the German navy. When the Franco-German war broke out in 1870, he served on Prinz Adelbert, where he remained until the close of the war.  Later he was chosen chief cook upon passenger steamships of the Hamburg-American line, plying between Hamburg and New York city.  He worked at his profession in New York city and in several large hotels elsewhere until 1878, when he came to Pawtucket and became proprietor of the Benedict House, which he conducted successfully until 1889, when he disposed of the property.

Mr. Donath was a passenger on the illfated steamboat Narragansett, of the Stonington line, which was sunken by a collision on June 11, 1880.  He was afloat in the water for three hours, and was saved by boats from the rescuing steamer City of New York.  In November, 1896, he opened the new City Hotel on High street, Pawtucket.

p. 496 - 497:

DORSEY, Henry C. L., was born in 1824 on his father's plantation in Jefferson county, Kentucky, where he received his education.  While a young man he travelled extensively and came to Pawtucket in 1844.  He inherited a small fortune from his grandfather and father, but when he came to Pawtucket his funds were low and he went to work in a paint shop.  Here his natural talent for lettering and fancy sign work was developed and created a lively demand for his services; and thereafter he carried on an extensive and prosperous business.  In 1886 he was elected overseer of the poor.  In 1859 he was married to Ann Amelia Baker of Pawtucket.

Mr. Dorsey is known throughout New England as the 'Prisoner's Friend', a sobriquet which comes from the many acts of voluntary kindness which he has performed toward unfortunates confined in the various prisons and penal institutions.  For years it has been his custom to celebrate Thanksgiving Day by furnishing turkey dinners to the prisoners.  His charity to the deserving poor and needy has ever been in practical form, and the resolution which he formed, while a young man, to divide his income, above a definite amount, with the needy, the poor and the unfortunate, has been literally carried to a conclusion.

illustration on page 497: Photo:  Homestead of the late Darius Goff, Pawtucket.

p. 497 - 498:

FAIRMAN, Roswell H., son of Ray and Mary (Anderson) Fairman, was born in Pawtucket, Aug. 9, 1856.  He attended the common schools of Pawtucket and Rehoboth, and completed his education at the Pawtucket high school.  He early exhibited musical talent, first mastering the flute, and had an early professional career as a flute player in different bands, orchestras and operatic companies in the United States.  He then studied musical composition, became familiar with every instrument employed in the modern band and orchestra.  He also became profeicient as an orchestral director and as a teacher.  His musical education has been broad and complete.  He has been a director of vocal mucic, has had a large number of pupils, and has written many compositions, instrumental and vocal.  He is continually publishing, and is no doubt destined to become a composer of note.  He is devoted to his profession and seeks to promote the highest ideas of musical attainment.

Nov. 15, 1892, he assumed control of the Pawtucket City Band and has been its leader since.  Under his management it has been developed and greatly improved.  He organized the Choral Union of Pawtucket and conducted concerts here.  He also organized the Pawtucket Symphony Orchestra for classical performances.  Jan. 29, 1891, he was married to Theodosia Anna Remington, of Providence.  Mr. Fairman has a musical library of all the great masters.

p. 498:

JENKS, Isaac Tabor, son of Jabez and Patience (Tabor) Jenks, was born in Pawtucket, Aug. 23, 1809, and died Feb. 1, 1885.  He obtained his education in the public and private schools of Pawtucket.  He learned the machinist trade, which occupation he followed for many years.  When the Providence & Worcester railroad was built he was appointed station master at Pawtucket, which position he held about four years.  In 1852 he went to work in the Dunnell printworks as yard master and time keeper, which positions he held until 1870, when he retired from active business pursuits.  In politics he was a Republican.  He belonged to the Masonic Order, and for a number of years was treasurer of Union Lodge.  He was a member of Good Samaritan Lodge, I. O. O. F.  He was married Nov. 23, 1835, to Celestina Luther, daughter of Simmons and Susan Luther, by which union there were seven children, four of whom are living:  Theodore S. and Isaac N., who both died in infancy; Josephine, b. Sept. 15, 1837, who was married to Henry F. Bishop and d. Jan. 24, 1891; Frank, b. Dec. 14, 1842; Edmund Crowell, b. Sept. 24, 1845; Celestina, b. June 18, 1848; Louisa, b. Oct. 24, 1852.

Mr. Jenks is a descendant of Joseph Jenks, the founder of the Jenks family in America, and is in the sixth generation from Joseph, Jr., the first settler of Pawtucket, through Major Nathaniel, Nathaniel, Jr., Capt. Stephen, Moses and Jabez.

p. 498:

The JOHN J. KENYON MANUFACTURING CO., manufacturers of tapes and braids for manufacturers' uses; also glazed yarn and spool cotton, boot shoe and corset lacing.  The company was incorporated Jan. 1, 1897.  The officers are:  John J. Kenyon, president and treasurer; Robert A. Kenyon, vice-president; John F. Kenyon, secretary; James Kenyon, superintendent.  The works were built in May, 1895.

illustration on page 498: drawing: Works of the John J. Kenyon Manufacturing Co.

p. 498 - 499:

LUTHER, Charles Frederic, son of Charles Greene and Marcy Arnold (Jenks) Luther, was born Feb. 13, 1855, on the Lindon Jenks estate in North Providence, now Pawtucket, where he attended the district school.  His first employment was with T. D. Rice & Co., wood turners, where he remained several years.  Later he was engaged with his father in the business of sign and general painting.  He was for a number of years with E. F. Richardson, provision dealer, and later with C. E. Richardson, on Broadway.  When the free delivery letter system was introduced in Pawtucket, in 1882, he was appointed a carrier and served four years.  In 1886 he was chosen cashier of the Pawtucket street railway company.  In February, 1888, he became manager of the company's office, and in 1889 was elected secretary and general manager.  When Mr. Luther took charge of this road its equipment consisted of a few cars and horses and about five miles of track.  The lines have been extended in various directions, new rolling stock has been secured, and under his supervision the road has developed from the 'bob car', propelled by one horse, to the present well equipped electric system covering 25 miles.  In 1894 this road was consolidated with the United Traction Co., and Mr. Luther retains the management of the Pawtucket division.

Mr. Luther is a member of the Masonic fraternity, a past master and treasurer of Barney Merry Lodge, and an officer of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island.  He was a charter member of Ossamequin Tribe, I. O. R. M., and a past sachem.  He is a past master of Pawtucket Lodge, A. O. U. W.; also a past officer of the Massachusetts Grand Lodge.  He belongs to other fraternal societies, is vice-president of the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Assocation and is a member of the Y. M. C. A., and the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.

In 1875 he was married to Susie W. Snow, by which union there are three children:  Iva L., Annie S., and Charles W.  Mr. Luther's father was born in Swansea, R. I., where he lived during his early life, and was an artist of considerable ability.  His mother was a daughter of Lindon Jenks, who was descended in the sixth generation from Joseph Jenks, Jr., the first settler of Pawtucket.  The line of descent from father to son was through Major Nathaniel the second son of Joseph, Jr., Nathaniel Jr., Capt. Stephen, and Stephen, the father of Lindon.

p. 499:

McCAUGHEY, William Stephen, son of William and Teresa (Casey) McCaughey, was born Oct. 12, 1866, in Pawtucket, where he was educated in the public schools.  After leaving school he worked at the jewelry business for three years.  He then entered the gents' furnishing store of Sol. Cohen, where he worked about three years, at the end of which period he was appointed inspector of private drains for the city of Pawtucket.  He resigned this position to accept the situation of bookkeeper for the Home Bleach and Dye Works, which he held until the plant was destroyed by fire, Feb. 22, 1893.

In September, 1893, he entered Yale University Law School, from which he was graduated in June, 1895.  He then entered the law office of Littlefield & Stiness, Providence, where he studied six months, passed the bar examination and was admitted to practice April 18, 1896.  He immediately became associated with C. B. & C. J. Farnsworth, Pawtucket, with office at room 4, Cole's block, 271 Main street, where he is at present located.

William McCaughey, the father of William S., was born in the town of Killnahusac, County Tyrone, Ireland, came to America in 1846, and settled in Pawtucket.  He was one of the pioneer settlers of his race in this community.  He worked for the Dunnell Manufacturing Co. 42 years.  He died Sept. 17, 1896.  In politics he was a Democrat.

p. 499 - 500:

POTTER, William H., son of Charles and Mary A. (Congdon) Potter, was born in Scituate, R. I., Oct. 29, 1836, and received his early education in the public schools.  His first employment was in a cotton mill.  When 20 years old he was competent to take charge of the weaving department and was overseer of weaving in the Natick mills for 16 years.  During these years he studied the best books he could get on cotton manufacturing in all its departments.  In 1873 he became superintendent of the mills at Hebronville, Mass., where he remained about twelve years.  Whe he retired from that position the employees at the mills and the citizens of the village testified their esteem by presenting him with a new top buggy.  His health being somewhat impaired he took a vacation for a year, and spent much of the time among the mountains and springs.  He then opened an office in the Dorrance building, Pawtucket, where he now conducts a real estate and mortgage brokerage business.

During the war of the rebellion in 1862 Mr. Potter was commissioned second lieutenant of Co. C, Ninth Regiment, Rhode Island Volunteers, and served until the mustering out of his regiment.  He was then commissioned captain in the state militia, and when the 3d Regiment, 3d Brigade, Rhode Island militia, was organized, he was elected major of the regiment and commissioned by Gov. James Y. Smith.  Mr. Potter is a member of the Commandery of the State of Massachusetts, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States; he also belongs to Tower Post, G. A. R., Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association, the Patria club, and the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  When in Hebronville he was on the building committee to build three school houses, one at North Attleboro, one at South Attleboro and one at Hebronville.  He was also on the committee to build the Methodist Episcopal church in Hebronville, and has attended church there with his family for more than twenty years.

In 1860 he was married to Emily P. Knowles in East Greenwich, at the close of her four years' course at the Academy; she died Nov. 6, 1869.  Mr. Potter was married the second time in 1875 to Eleanor L. Bowen, of Attleboro, Mass. He has one son, Dr. H. Winfred Potter, of Warwick, R. I., and one daughter Florence E. Potter.

Mr. Potter traces his ancestry through George Potter, he being one of the three Potters who had come to Rhode Island from Great Britain previous to the year 1639; the other two were Nathaniel and Robert.  Speaking of them and their associates, Charles Edward Potter, of New York in his history and genealogies of the Potter families in America says: 'Since Robert Potter sailed from England in 1634, and with his associates, gave to the settlement of Warwick, in R. I., the name which it still bears, there has never been a period in the history of the country during which the descendants have not been conspicuous in commerce and legislation, in literature, arts and learning, at the bar and on the bench, in the councils and ministrations of the church, and when their country needed them upon the field of battle.'

Illustration on page 499: photo, William H. Potter, banker and broker.

illustration on page 500: photo, residence of William H. Potter, Pawtucket.

These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcribed 2001 by Beth Hurd
MailIf you have a (pre-1922) contribution from a Rhode Island book or newspaper you would like to share, please send me an e-mail with the publication title, author, and publisher. Thanks.