This section contains articles of genealogical and historic
interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers.
If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with
Illustrated History of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity
by Robert Grieve, 1897
Providence: Published by Henry R. Caufield
p. 466 - 468:
WARLAND, Charles Alfred, real estate broker and auctioneer, 48 East avenue, Pawtucket, is the son of John and Priscilla (Hill) Warland, ans was born April 11, 1830, on Appian Way, Cambridge, Mass., where he attended the public schools. At an early age he was employed in the commission house of Charles Wilkins & Co., dealers in cotton, coffee, tea, etc., where he remained until he was 21 years old. He then was connected with the shipping business and traveled extensively through the western states. In 1856 he came to Pawtucket and entered the counting room of the James S. Brown machine shops, and later was admitted into partnership, the firm name being changed to James S. Brown & Sons.
In 1868 he became interested in real estate and opened the first office devoted solely to the purchase and sale of this class of property, in the Almy block, near the bridge, where he was located until 1874, where he removed to his present location. Mr. Warland's business has principally been that of a broker and auctioneer, making purchases, and selling and managing estates. Among the latter were the Jenks, the Goff, and the Weeden properties. The courts have frequently recognized Mr. Warland's experience and judgment by commissioning him to apportion estates among heirs, and the city of Pawtucket has employed him to value property comdemned for public uses.
Aug. 13, 1872, Mr. Warland was appointed by the governor and council of Massachusetts a commissioner in Rhode Island for the 'administering of oaths, taking of depositions, affidavits, acknowledgments of deeds and other instruments', to be used in the state of Massachusetts, which office he held until Dec. 17, 1893 - a period of 21 years - at which time he gave up the office.
While a member of the town council he, with others, rendered important service by instituting a correct system of accounts in the police department. He was tax assessor in 1874. He is a 32d degree Mason and belongs to Barney Merry Lodge, No. 29, A. F. and A. M.; Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter, No. 4; Pawtucket Council, No. 2, R. and S. Masters; Holy Sepulchre Commandery, No. 8; Rhode Island Consistory A. A. S. Rite; Palestine Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Providence, R. I. Oct. 18, 1855, he was married to Mary Dana, daughter of James S. Brown of Pawtucket, by which union there was one child, Sarah J., b. Aug. 15, 1861; Oct. 28, 1886, she married Horace W. Davenport, and she d. April 5, 1890, by which union there is one child, H. Warland Davenport, b. Aug. 21, 1887.
The time of arrival of the ancestor of the Warland family in America is not definately known, but the date 1679 is safely authentic for this branch, as in that year is found recorded April 3, the marriage of Owen (1) Warland to Hannah Gay, at Cambridge, Mass. The records also show that Owen Warland purchased from John Shepard the estate located on the northwest corner of Holyoke and South streets; also that he was a constable in 1697. He had two children: William, b. March 27, 1680, and Rebecca; the exact date of his death is uncertain, but it is probable that both husband and wife died before 1718.
William (2) was twice married. First to Tabitha, daughter of Jacob Hill, Feb. 3, 1701-2, who d. Jan. 1717-18, aged 34. Second to Anne, daughter of Captain Josiah Parker, July 3, 1718. He had ten children: William, b. Oct. 3, 1706, d. Aug. 23, 1708; Sarah, baptised Jan. 9, 1708-9, d. Oct. 5, 1712; Tabitha, b. March 3, 1710-11; Sarah, b. 1713; Rebecca baptised Sept. 4, 1715, d. Jan. 24, 1716-17; William, baptised March 29, 1719; Thomas, baptised Aug. 13, 1721; Owen, baptised June 2, 1723; JOHN, baptised Dec. 11, 1726, d. Sept. 29, 1727. [sic]
The line of descent is through JOHN (3), who married Mary Manning, Sept. 26, 1754. He had two children: John, b. July 16, 1755; William, baptised May 25, 1760, d. Oct. 6, 1762. His mother married William Darling, whom she survived, and d. May 22, 1817.
The line of descent is through the oldest child, JOHN (4), who was married twice: first to Hannah Prentice, March 12, 1776, who d. Aug. 12, 1803; the second to Sarah Palmer, Feb. 5, 1806. He had nine children: Hannah, b. June 14, 1778, d. Dec. 28, 1878; JOHN, b. Dec. 28, 1779; William, b. March 8, 1782; Polly, baptised Feb. 29, 1784, m. Jason Howe, Nov. 28, 1805; Ebenezer, baptised Feb. 12, 1786; Charles, baptised Dec. 16, 1787, d. Sept. 1788; Charles, b. 1789, d. Feb. 9, 1717; Hannah, b. (about) Dec., 1792, d. Sept. 4, 1793. He died Nov. 20, 1809. His wife survived him.
The line of descent is through JOHN (5) who was married three times and d. Feb. 15, 1852. His first wife was Sarah, daughter of Joseph Bates, m. June 20, 1805, who d. Aug. 23, 1824. His second wife was Priscilla Hill, m. Sept. 8, 1825, d. May 16. 1830. He married his third wife, Mary Ann Phelps of Marlbrough, Mass., April 6, 1833. His children: Sarah, b. May 20, and d. June 29, 1806; John Henry, b. April 20, 1807, graduated from Harvard College, 1827; Mary Madelia, b. Jan. 21, 1809; Theodore, b. June 21, 1812, graduated from Harvard College, 1832; Alfred, b. April 9, 1814, d. Sept. 19, 1817; Charles Horace, b. Sept. 18, 1816, d. Nov. 21, 1819; Sarah Ann, b. Nov. 9, 1818, d. Nov. 1, 1874; Ann Elizabeth, b. April 21, 1822, d. August, 1888; Caroline Priscilla, b. July 17, 1826, d. March 30, 1895; Henrietta Hill, b. June 24, 1828; CHARLES ALFRED, b. April 11, 1830; Edward Merrick, b. March 18, 1834; Francis Horace, b. May 7, 1836, d. June 8, 1865; Emily Phelps, b. April 9, 1838, died Dec. 30, 1888; Frances Bates, b. June 6, 1841.
WASSMER, John H. The tea, coffee and spice business forms one of the most important branches of trade in this city and one of the leading stores in that line of goods is the Importers Tea House, 320 Main street, which is in charge of the above mentioned genial gentleman. He has been in this city but a few years and during that time has made a host of friends who are pleased at his evident success. Mr. Wassmer was born at Newark, N. J., Nov. 14, 1859, and is the third child of Christian and Catherine (Read) Wassmer, both of whom were born at Baden, Germany, the former coming to this country in 1847 and the later [sic] in 1844. They settled at Newark and later removed to Paterson, N. J., where Mr. Wassmer attended the public schools until he was 12 years of age. In 1881 he started in business for himself and in the following year opened a retail store at Paterson, which he gave up in a short time as it proved to be not a paying investment. He continued in the tea business, having a route which paid well until 1887, when he came to Providence and obtained employment in one of the large department stores, in a short time being made manager of the tea department, a position which he held for three years. In 1890 he acted as a saleman and in the following year he started a route in Pawtucket, which he attended to personally for three years, opening a store in this city in 1894. The store has proved to be a success, and Mr. Wassmer has built up a large trade by his fair dealing and pleasant personality.
In conjunction with the store he owns and manages six different routes which, with the store, show an increase in trade and receipts every year. His success is pleasing as he is what is termed a self made man, having risen to his present influential and responsible position entirely by his own individual efforts. On May 8, 1887, he was united in marriage to Miss Reguina Hummell of Paterson, N. J., and the result of the union is two bright children, William B. and Emma B.
WATJEN, Henry E., the fourth child of Ernest Henry and Louisa (Boettcher) Watjen, was born in the city of Sehausen, Prussia, Jan. 13, 1854. Leading members of the Watjen family were prominent importing merchants for many generations in Bremer Haven, Germany. Henry received his education in the government schools in his native city, and when fifteen years old went to work in the shop of his father, who was a furniture manufacturer. Late in 1870, when he was seventeen years old, he came to America, and worked in furniture manufactories as a cabinet maker in Boston and Charlestown. Afterwards, for five years, he was engaged in the manufacture of pottery in Manchester, N. H., as a member of the firm of Klemke & Watjen. Selling out his interest in the business, he became an insurance agent and a dealer in real estate and has since followed those lines. He came to Pawtucket in 1889, and in 1891 entered into partnership with Walter M. Robbins under the firm name of Watjen & Robbins, for the transaction of general insurance and real estate business. In 1894 the firm organized the Home Building Co., (incorporated) which carries on one of the largest real estate and building business in Rhode Island. Mr. Watjen was president until July, 1896, when he sold out his interest to the company and also dissolved his partnership with Mr. Robbins. Mr. Watjen still carries on the insurance and real estate business but removed his office in September to 26 High street, while Mr. Robbins manages the Home Building Co. In politics Mr. Watjen was formerly a Republican, but for some years he has been a Prohibitionist. He is a member of the Pleasant View Baptist Church, and belongs to Charles E. Chickering Lodge, No. 20, Knights of Pythias. March 27, 1877, he was married to Emma F. Palmer, and they have had three chidren: Emma Lizzie, b. July 24, 1878; William Edward, b. Dec. 13, 1881; Henry Ernest, b. Dec. 11, 1883; Carl C., b. Dec. 12, 1885, d. July 24, 1887.
WATSON, William F., M. D., was born in Buxton, Me., Sept. 6, 1852, and was the sixth child of Nathaniel M. and Mary A. (Purkiss) Watson. The American ancestor of the family came to New England soon after the landing of the Pilgrims. For generations the family was prominent in Saco, Me., and there the grandfather of William P. lived and died. The Watsons were typical New Englanders, with the severe and strict notions of their Puritan ancestry. William P. attended the Gorham Academy in his native state. He then went to New York, stuied in Bellevue Hospital Medical College and was graduated from the Medical College there in 1879. Soon after he opened an office at Gorham, Me., where he practiced for ten years, when he removed to Dover, N. H., and remained there until he removed to Pawtucket in 1894. He has developed an excellent practice, and is now one of the most successful physicians in the community.
Dr. Watson is an attendant of the Congregational church, and belongs both to the Free Masons and the Odd Fellows. He has been married three times. His first wife d. Sept. 17, 1883, leaving no children; his second wife d. Sept. 6, 1888, leaving one child, Margaret C., who is now living. He was married to his present wife Sept. 7, 1892, to whom was born a son, Robert N., who died July 25, 1894.
WARBURTON, Henry Ashton, descends from an old English Quaker family. His grandfather, Jacob Warburton, was born in Bury, Lancashire, England, July 2, 1782, was a hand loom weaver and came from a family of farmers. His grandmother, Sarah Ashton Warburton, was also born in Bury, April 9, 1784, and her family were farmers. His father was born in Bury, Feb. 8, 1806, and was well known as a successful manager of cotton mills; he was a distinguished member of the Society of Friends, came to the United States in 1852, and died in Lawrence, Mass., in 1879. His mother was Sarah Taylor, born in Barnsley, Derbyshire, Enlgand, July 20, 1808. Her amiability and gentleness of character endears her memory to her children. Her patience was often tried by her large family of twelve children, nine sons and three daughters.
Henry Ashton Warburton was born in the town of Hyde, Cheshire, England, Nov. 2, 1837, and is the sixth child of Peter and Sarah (Taylor) Warburton. He attended the public schools of his native town until he attained his eighth year, when he entered the cotton mill, and until his 10th year his time was equally divided between school and work. With the knowledge thus obtained he started in life at the tender age of 10 years. He came to this country with his father in 1852, secured employment as a piecer on hand spinning mules at Portsmouth, N. H., and availed himself of the local night school to enlarge his general knowledge. In 1853 he engaged in mule spinning in Lawrence, Mass., and operated a pair of spinning mules for seven years. He also worked at file-cutting by machinery at Ballardvale, Mass., then returned to Portsmouth, N. H., where he was assistant overseer in the Portsmouth steam mill, and was transferred to the thread department, where he obtained the knowledge which contributed to his final success.
He also worked in Newmarket, Exeter, N. H., was assistant overseer of the Hadley Thread Co., of Holyoke, Mass.,. and was overseer of the Warren Thread Co., of Worcester, Mass. In the latter city he engaged with William Ward of Portmouth [sic], N. H., the owner of a distillery, of which he was induced to take charge, and though he remained over three years, testing all kinds of alcoholic liquors by taste and smell, he yet never drank a drop. He then returned to his old business in 1877, accepting a position as overseer of the winding room with William Warren of New York city, thread manufacturer. In 1880 he came to Pawtucket as overseer and then became superintendent of Stafford & Co.'s works. In company with James C. Roth in 1886 he purchased this company's thread department and organized the New England Thread Co., he being general manager. His vast experience in the manufacture of threads peculiarly fitted him to produce a superior article, which was soon observed by the trade, and although he had to contend with many obstacles he steadily succeeded in establishing a lucrative business. In 1889 Mr. Roth died and he puchased his interest from the heirs, thus becoming sole proprietor. He employs over 100 hands and does a gross business of from $135,000 to $150,000 per annum in the manufacture of cotton thread, tapes and specialties, and the demand for his goods is so great that he experiences much difficulty in supplying his agents in New York, Chicago and Boston. In 11 years his business has increased four-fold.
In 1893 Mr. Warburton bought the Cooper mills, so called, corner Cottage and Saunders streets, and although his new quarters were thought to be ample for 10 years' growth, he finds that by the addition of $3,000 worth of new machinery now ordered and promised by Jan. 1, 1897, nearly all the available space will be taken up.
In national and state affairs, Mr. Warburton is a Republican, but in local matters is guided entirely in his political actions by consideration of the city's best interests, regardless of party.
Sept. 8, 1862, he was married to Jane E. Critchley, daughter of William and Mary Critchley of Portsmouth, N. H., the result of this union being three children: Franklin E., b. in Portsmouth, N. H., Aug. 19, 1863; Florence E., b. in Worcester, Mass., Sept. 13, 1868; and Harry A., b. in Portsmouth, N. H., May 11, 1877. Franklin E. is superintendent of the mills, Harry A. is clerk and Mr. Warburton's son-in-law, Frank H. Grover, is the shipper.
illustrations on facing page (page 471): photos, John H. Barber, Liveryman, Central Falls; William Hall, superintendent, wool department, Lorraine Mills; William M. Holliday, of the Troy Steam Laundry; George W. Jones, caterer; Charles A. Leach, overseer Hope Thread Mills; Alexander Leslie, foreman, white goods department, Sayles' Bleacheries.
WEATHERHEAD, George, senior member of the firm of Weatherhead, Thompson & Co., is the sixth child of James W. and Ruth (Brown) Weatherhead, and was born Aug. 13, 1830, in Cumberland, R. I. He attended the public schools of his native town and completed his education in Wilkinson's private school, at Pawtucket. His first occupation was on a farm, but not finding this employment either congenial or profitable he abandoned its pursuit; and in 1852 he came to Pawtucket and engaged in the grocery business alone for a year, and then sold out. In the same year he entered into partnership with John E. Thompson and they established their present business of the manufacture of standard oak tanned leather belting, lace, picker and raw hide leather; manufacturers' and mill supplies, thread and silk spools, at 447 Mill street, Central Falls. The business is now carried on under the firm name of Weatherhead, Thompson & Co. This firm has one of the largest and best equipped plants in New England, and its business is co-extensive with its plants and facilities.
In politics Mr. Weatherhead is a Republican. He attends the Universalist church. Mr. Weatherhead comes from an old New England family. His father was born in Cumberland, Nov. 15, 1787, and died at the same place, March 11, 1850. He was a farmer and stock raiser. His mother was born in Cumberland, Aug. 18, 1794, and died Sept. 13, 1883, aged 89. The average life of the immediate parents of George was 81 years, a remarkable record of longevity.
WEATHERHEAD, John, of O'Connor & Weatherhead, marble and granite workers, 4 Waldo street, is the sixth child of Daniel and Susan (Clark) Weatherhead, and was born Dec. 22, 1850. When 10 years old he went to work on a farm, and attended school in the winter until he was 16 years old. He then learned the trade of stone cutting with Royal C. Whipple at Diamond Hill, where he worked for about seven years. He then came to Pawtucket and entered the employ of Matthew Leach. His work and the conditions of the business necessitated traveling about, and he has been engaged in nearly all the principal marble and granite quarries in New England. In 1888 he went into partnership with John F. O'Connor, under the firm name of O'Connor & Weatherhead, at No. 7 Exchange street. Later they moved to their present extensive quarters, where they operate an extensive and well equipped plant and conduct a prosperous business. He belongs to the Odd Fellows, A. O. U. W., and the Central Falls Veteran Firemen's Association. He attends the Broad street Baptist church. July 31, 1877, he was married to Ellen A. Darling, of Woonsocket. Mr. Weatherhead comes from an old New England family. His father was born in Cumberland in 1815, and his mother was born in Douglas, Mass., in 1818.
WEBB, George Henry, agent and treasurer of the Pawtucket Manufacturing Co., is the first child of John Browning and Sarah C. (Wilcox) Webb, and was born Nov. 17, 1845, at Simmonsville (now Thornton), in the town of Johnston, R. I., where he spent his boyhood. Before he was 11 years old he went to work in the Simmons cotton mill, where he remained two years. He then worked on a farm, and later as a hostler. He next came to Pawtucket and worked as a grinder for the American File Co., where he remained until 1865. He again went to work on a farm for a short time. From the farm he went into the repair shop of the Simmons cotton mill and worked three months as a helper. He returned to Pawtucket in 1866 and was employed in the William H. Haskell bolt works, where he learned the trade of a machinist and tool maker. He followed this occupation as a journeyman until 1881, when he associated himself with Stephen A. Jenks, Alvin F. Jenks, John R. Fales, and George Herbert Fowler, and started in the business of manufacturing bolts and nuts and the machinery for making bolts and nuts, under the name of the Pawtucket Manufacturing Co., located on Pine street. The machines made by this company are in use throughout the United States and many of the European countries, including England, Scotland, Holland, Germany, France and Russia, and the company is one of the largest in its line. The business was a success from its inception. The output to-day is five times greater than it was a few years ago, and the product is increasing yearly.
In politics Mr. Webb is a Republican. He belongs to the Masonic Fraternity and to the Order of Odd Fellows. Oct. 23, 1868, he was married to Frances Herrick of Pawtucket, by which union there are four children: Alfred Jenks, b. May 3, 1869; Maria Lillian, b. Jan. 29, 1871; Sarah Frances, b. Dec. 25, 1872; Annie Elizabeth, b. Nov. 12, 1876. His wife died March 26, 1879, and Aug. 30, 1880, he was married to his second wife, Mrs. Joanna Jenks of Pawtucket. Mr. Webb descends from a very old New England family.
WEEDEN, John Hull, was born Feb. 10, 1801, at Portsmouth, R. I., and died at Pawtucket, Oct. 27, 1870. His ancestor, John Hull, came from London, England, in 1687. He built a house on the north end of Conanicut Island, Narragansett Bay, then occupied by the Indians, and his son was the first white child born on the island. Mr. Weeden passed his childhood on the homestead estate and pursued his early classical studies at the academy at Kingston; he then entered Brown University, Providence, from which he was graduated in 1827 with the highest honors of the class; and was made tutor in 1828. He studied law in New York and was admitted to the bar in 1832. He practiced his profession and passed his life in Pawtucket. He ranked high in his profession both as a counsellor and advocate. For many years he represented the town of North Providence in the General Assembly. From 1840 to 1854 he was town clerk of North Providence. He was also assessor of taxes. In 1833 he was married to Sarah Bowen Sweetland, and by this union there were six daughters and two sons. The first son, Charles Wager, was appointed corporal in the 3d regiment, R. I. Volunteers, Sept. 14, 1861, and died Nov., 1861, of typhoid fever contracted in the line of duty. The second son, John Hull, Jr., was the first Pawtucket boy to enter West Point Military Academy, from which he was graduated with honors in 1866. Upon his graduation he was assigned to his chosen corps, the engineers. He was ordered to the Pacific coast and then transferred to the survey of the lakes. Later he was sent to San Francisco and thereafter to San Diego, where he spent the most important days of his life. He was intrusted with the details of the river and harbor improvements of San Diego. He died Jan. 29, 1877, when but 33 years old, the result of an accident. The daughters of Mr. Weeden are still living. Caroline is the wife of J. E. Clarner; Adelaide is the wife of Commodore Jefferson Maury; Delia is the wife of Rev. Emery H. Porter; Jane is the wife of Fred Sherman; Eliza and Ellen are unmarried.
WESTCOTT, Frank Williams, dry goods dealer, 253 Main street, was born Dec. 14, 1856, at Seekonk, Mass., where he lived until he was 12 years old when his parents moved to Pawtucket, where he attended the public schools until he was 16 years old. He completed his education at the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence, from which he was graduated. He then entered the dry goods store of George E. Allen, where he learned the business. In 1876 he went into partnership with E. F. Bowen, under the firm name of Westcott & Bowen, which firm continued until 1882, when Mr. Westcott bought out his partner, and has since conducted the business alone.
In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of the First Baptist church and society of Pawtucket. June 10, 1884, he was married to Abbie L. Colwell, of Pawtucket.
WHEATON, James Lucas, M. D., 13 Summer street, is the second child of James and Martha (Hopkins) Wheaton, and was born March 14, 1823, in the village of Pawtucket, in the town of Seekonk, Mass. In 1828 a part of the town of Seekonk, known as the village of Pawtucket in which he had lived, was cut off and was incorporated as the town of Pawtucket, Mass. Here James spent his boyhood and received his early education. Having a predilection for the study of medicine he was prepared for college, but his health failing he had to forego a collegiate course. Upon his return to health he prosecuted his medical studies with Drs. Manchester and Barrows, and completed his medical education at the Berkshire Medical College, Pittsfield, Mass., from which he was graduated in 1847, with the degree of M. D. He began the practice of his profession, June, 1847, in Pawtucket, Mass. In 1852 he moved across the river into Pawtucket, R. I., where he has practiced his profession continuously for 50 years. There is probably no physician in Rhode Island who stands higher in the medical profession.
In 1857-8 he represented the town of North Providence in the General Assembly and served as chairman of the committee on education. While occupying this position he strenuously pushed an amendment, to the laws to permit colored children to attend the public schools in common with the whites, and also to permit the colored scholars to enter the high schools; but the majority of the committee reported back to the Assembly unfavorably and Dr. Wheaton had to content himself with presenting and having recorded a minority report which represented his views. The agitation resultant from this progressive measure, ultimately compassed the end for which he so earnestly strove.
May 15, 1850, he was married to Anna Maria, daughter of Charles and A. Eliza Jenckes, of Grafton, Mass., by which union there have been four children: Martha, who was twice married - her first husband, Dr. William P. White, died in 1870; her second husband is Dr. J. A. Chase now in practice in Pawtucket. Anna Frances, married S. Frank Dexter, manager of the Dexter Yarn Co., Pawtucket; Jessie L. died in 1864; James Lucas, Jr., was graduated from Brown University, Providence, in 1891, and from Harvard Medical School, in 1894, with the degree of M. D. He continued his studies for a year at the University of Berlin, Germany, and is now associated with his father in the practice of his profession.
Dr. Wheaton is of the seventh generation of this family in America. The common founder, Robert Wheaton, came to Salem, Mass., in 1636, supposed from Swanzey, South Wales, where he was born in 1606, and died at Rehoboth, Mass., in 1696. The line of descent of the Pawtucket branch of the family is through Rev. Ephraim, ninth child of Robert, who d. at Rehoboth, April 26, 1734. Robert, b. July 14, 1688; Andrew, great-grandfather of Dr. Wheaton was born Aug. 15, 1721; Lucas, the grandfather, was b. Sept. 25, 1748, died at Rehoboth. James, father of Dr. Wheaton, came to Pawtucket in 1810; d. in 1880. Dr. Wheaton's mother was Martha Hopkins, b. in Pawtucket, April 18, 1797. She was a lineal descendant of Thomas Hopkins, who was b. in England, April 7, 1616, came to Providence with Roger Williams on his second time of coming, received a home lot and signed the compact in 1640; he d. in 1684.
illustrations on facing page (p. 475): photos, Thomas Lisabelle, manager of the Star Collecting Agency; William Marran, grocer; Adoph W. Massmann, confectioner; John W. Meiklejohn, of J. W. Meiklejohn & Co., music dealers; Henry H. Russell, treasurer, Pawtucket Ice Co.; Charles E. Thurber, proprietor of Depot Express.
WHIPPLE, Nathan William, fourth child of Washington and Charlotte (Ray) Whipple, was born April 14, 1843, at Cumberland, R. I. He attended the public schools of his native town and also at Woonsocket. In 1865 he went to Chicago, where for nearly a year he worked in a publishing house. The following year he came to Pawtucket and went into the employ of J. W. Tingley & Co., grocers and grain dealers, where he remained three years. In 1869 he purchased the Diamond Hill grocery, which he sold shortly thereafter and again entered the employ of Tingley & Co. In 1871 he again made a business venture, buying a grocery store on Broad street, Central Falls, which he conducted successfully for seven years and then sold his business. In 1878 he established his present business of general wholesale produce commission merchant at rear 323 Main street, Pawtucket. In politics Mr. Whipple is a Republican.
May 19, 1875, he was married to Lavinia C. Mason of Pawtucket, by which union there are three children: Gertrude M., b. May 19, 1876; S. Maud, b. Sept. 19, 1878; Nathan W., b. Oct. 2, 1880.
Mr. Whipple comes of an old New England family, his paternal and maternal grandfathers and his father being born and brought up in the town of Cumberland. His father was born Feb. 24, 1813, and died March 1, 1895. His mother was born in Cumberland, October, 1814.
illustration on page 476: photo, Nathan W. Whipple, Produce commission merchant.
WHITE, David J., secretary of the Standard Seamless Wire Co., was born Oct. 10, 1856, at Pawtucket, and is the fifth child of William H. and Mary (Waugh) White. He attended the public schools of his native place until he was 17 years old. His first occupation was with the Pawtucket Record, and later with the Central Falls Weekly Visitor. In 1890 he purchased the Record and in 1891 he bought the Visitor and consolidated the papers, which he then published as the Record-Visitor, whieh he sold in 1892.
In politics Mr. White is a Republican. In 1891 he was unanimously nominated for mayor. By the interjection of local issues into the campaign, a third ticket was placed in the field. The nominees were: Hugh J. Carroll, Democrat; David J. White, Republican; Albert R. Sherman, Citizens' nomination papers. This triangular contest was conducted in a most acrimonious manner, for five separate elections, and resulted in the election of the Democratic nominee, at the last election. It was one of the most exciting municipal political contests in the history of Rhode Island. Mr. White was clerk of the common council in 1888-89-90; he was president of the council in 1895, and a member of the board of aldermen in 1891, representing the third ward. He has also represented Pawtucket in the General Assembly. In 1892 he connected himself with the Standard Seamless Wire Co., of which he is at present secretary. He belongs to the Free Masons and the K. of P. Oct. 3, 1888, he was married to Lillian A. Kerns of Greenwich, N. Y.
WHITE, Frederic Howard, third child of Zebulon P. and Sarah Chase (Walker) White, was born Feb. 20, 1848, at Norton, Mass. He attended the public schools at Pawtucket, whither his parents had removed, and completed his education at Tufts College, Medford, Mass., from which he was graduated in 1869 with the degrees of B. Ph. and C. E. His first occupation was as a bookkeeper in his father's foundry, which position he held until 1872 when he was admitted as a partner into the firm of H. Z. Baker & Co. In 1875 the foundry and machine shops were consolidated and in 1880 Frederic sold his interest to J. S. White. In that year Mr. White's brother, Zebulon L., became editor of the Press and the Morning Star, Providence, and Frederic was engaged as general manager of the job and book printing office, and also had charge of the press room and the stereotype departments of the newspapers. In 1884 he returned to Pawtucket and organized the firm of White, Fuller & Sons, contractors, builders and house decorators. In 1889 he purchased the interest of his partners in the store and has since conducted the business alone at 365, 367 and 369 Main street. This business proved a success from its inception.
Mr. White represented the first ward in the city council in 1886. He belongs to the Free Masons, the Odd Fellows and the Royal Arcanum. Feb. 1, 1875, he was married to Ella K. Ridler of Boston, by which union there have been five children: Ella W., b. Feb. 24, 1876; Helen R., b. Sept. 6, 1877; Erving K., b. Jan. 19, 1880; Frederic P., b. Oct. 9, 1881; Samuel, b. Nov. 27, 1885, d. Aug. 1, 1887.
WHITE, J. Ellis, son of Joshua S. and Harriet (Newell) White was born March 24, 1858, in the village of Pawtucket, town of North Providence. He attended the public schools of his native town, then went to Mowry & Goff's English and Classical school, Providence, for five years, after which he took a course at the Institute of Technology, Boston, Mass. Upon finishing his studies he became associated with his father in the foundry and machine business, and for a number of years previous to his father's death had general supervision of the establishment. After twenty years' connection with the industry, soon after the death of his father, Mr. White disposed of his interest in the foundry and machine shop to his brothers and sister. Since then he has devoted his time to the care and management of his real estate properties. From 1889 to 1892 he represented the fourth ward in the city council. He was one of the joint committee of seven of the city council that conducted the Centenary of Cotton Spinning in 1890, and he was secretary of the committee. At the November election of 1896 he was elected alderman from the fourth ward for 1897. Oct. 26, 1881, he was married to Emily A. Richardson of Pawtucket.
WHITE, Joshua Shaw, third child of Zebulon and Peggy (White) White, was born Nov. 13, 1818, at Norton, Mass., and died at Pawtucket, R. I., Dec. 11, 1895. He received his schooling in his native town. For a while he followed the occupation of farming, but when 24 years old he entered the employ of the Pawtucket Cupola Furnace Co., in which his father was a partner. In 1847 his father, Zebulon White, erected a foundry on Dexter street, and in 1860, upon the death of his father, he united with his brother and they carried on the business under the name of Z. P. & J. S. White. In 1872 Frederic H. White was admitted as a partner and the firm added a machine shop and carried on the business under the name of Z. P. and J. S. White & Co. This firm continued until 1880 when Joshua bought out his partners and conducted the business under his individual name. Since Mr. White's death the business has been continued by Henry T. White, his son, and Charles F. Butterworth, his son-in-law, as the J. S. White Co., at the old location, 21 Dexter street. (For an account of the foundry see page 147 of the history.)
Mr. White was a Republican. He was a member of the Universalist church. May 17, 1848, he was married to Sarah P. Ingraham of Pawtucket, who died April 7, 1850. May 4, 1851, he was married the second time to Harriet Newell of Pawtucket, by which union there are four children: Harriet, J. Ellis, William Shaw, and Henry T.
WHITE, Willis Harkness, was born in Millville, Mass., Dec. 22, 1862. He attended the public schools of Uxbridge until he was 16 years old. He then worked for five months in Henry S. Farnham's furniture store, when he secured a position as bookkeeper with the Hamilton Web Co., of Hamilton, R. I., where he remained three years. Going to the city of Providence he became associated with Robert P. Gifford as sub-agent for the Provident Life and Trust Co., and followed this business for a year. He then worked for a year as a bookkeeper with the Albion Co., and after that, in the village of Hill's Grove was engaged in mercantile business with Benjamin C. Sweet for two and a half years. As a result of this varied experience, Mr. White was admirably fitted for the position he now occupies, as secretary and assistant treasurer of the Hope Webbing Co., which he has held since the company was incorporated in 1889, previous to which date he acted as bookkeeper for about two years. In politics Mr. White is a Prohibitionist, and is an active and aggressive worker for his political faith. He is a member of the Society of Friends, and belongs to the Greenwich Monthly Meeting. His interest in local and state history is manifested by the fact that he is a member of the Rhode Island Historical Society. He was married Feb. 21, 1883, to Emily Sisson, daughter of Asa and Mary Ann Sisson of North Kingstown, R. I. The issue of this union are: Mary Harkness, b. in Providence, Feb. 11, 1884; Charles Howard, b. at Hill's Grove, Aug. 30, 1885; and Louisa, b. at Hill's Grove, April 1, 1894.
WHITNEY, Lemuel, son of Dewell and Emily (Derby) Whitney, was born Oct. 30, 1848, at Ashburnham, Mass., where he attended the public schools and worked on a farm until he was 16 years old. He then worked in a carriage factory, at Chester, Vt., and from there went as clerk in a country store at Ashley, Mass. He enlisted in the 21st Massachusetts and joined his regiment at Washington, D. C., in July, 1862. He participated in many famous battles, and was honorably discharged in 1864, when he returned to Ashburnham and worked in a chair factory, and later purchased one-half interest in a country store in Westminster, Mass. He then moved to Howard, Mass.; later he joined with his brother in a country store at Ashby. In 1868 he came to Pawtucket and opened a grocery store with a Mr. Lane, under the firm name of Whitney & Lane, and located on the site now occupied by the Pacific Bank building. In 1869 he bought out Mr. Lane's interest, conducted the business alone some seven years, and then purchased one-half interest with N. F. Whipple in a meat and provision market, under the firm name of N. F. Whipple & Co. Poor health intervened, and he sold his market interest and moved to Ashby, Mass., where he engaged in farming. Five years later he returned to Pawtucket, purchased back the market which was on the site of the Conant building, where he remained until 1893, when he moved to 319 Main street, his present location, where the business is conducted under the name of L. Whitney & Co., and is one of the best kept stores in Pawtucket.
Mr. Whitney is a member of Tower Post, G. A. R., and of the society of Good Fellows. In 1868 he was married to Isabel S. Ward of Ashburnham, Mass., by which union there is one child, Arthur E.
WHITAKER, Stephen, son of Asa and Rebecca B. (Hammond) Whitaker, was born May 11, 1835, at Conway, N. H., and died May 12, 1896, in Pawtucket. He attended the public schools of his native place until he was 10 years old but finished his education at the Phillips School, Boston, Mass., where his parents had removed. His first occupation was in a dry goods store on Bowdoin Square, Boston, where he remained three years. When 17 years old he learned the trade of a carpenter. In 1859 he came to Pawtucket, and, after working at his trade a number of years, finally bought the interest of Nathaniel Lewin in the firm of Lewin, Fisk & Kenyon, and formed a new firm under the name of Kenyon, Drown & Co. Later on Mr. Drown withdrew and the name was changed to Kenyon & Whitaker. This firm did business for one year, when Benjamin F. Smith was admitted as a partner, the name was changed to Kenyon, Whitaker & Smith, and so continued until 1890, when Mr. Whitaker sold his interest to Mr. Smith, and retired from active business.
In politics Mr. Whitaker is a Republican. He was chief engineer of the fire department of the old town of Pawtucket, and was assistant chief engineer under S. S. Collyer, after the consolidation.
Aug. 17, 1873, he was married to Harriet Smith Pierce in Pawtucket, by which union there were three children: Stephen Pierce, b. Oct. 13, 1874, d. June 2, 1879; Emma Rebecca, b. March 21, 1878; Bertha Pierce, b. July 7, 1881.
illustrations on facing page (page 479): photos, John Wadsworth, superintendent, Wadsworth Manufacturing Co.; William W. Walker, superintendent, Sayles' Bleacheries; Frederick H. White, dealer in wall paper, paints and oils; Lemuel Whitney, marketman; James H. Wilber, of the Troy Steam Laundry; Daniel L. Willmarth, contractor and builder.
WILBER, James H., the seventh child of Andrew Taylor and Hannah King (Simmons) Wilber, was born Oct. 29, 1860, in North Dartmouth, Mass. He received his schooling in his native town, and at the age of 16 went to sea from New Bedford on the whaling bark Josephine. The voyage lasted three years. Afterwards for about a year and a half he was an able seaman on coastwise vessels. This gave him all the seafaring experience he desired. He then worked at various occupations. In 1892 he engaged with the Troy Steam Laundry Co., 14 Dexter street, Pawtucket and soon made himself useful and essential. November, 1895, he purchased a third interest in the concern. Under the energetic management of Mr. Wilber and his associates, C. F. Kinney and William M. Holliday, the business has been very successful. In politics Mr. Wilber is a Republican.
WILKINSON, Isaac Randolph, was born in Smithfield, R.I., April 21, 1826,
and is the son of Isaac and Hanah (Streeter) Wilkinson, and the fourth
of a family of seven. He is in the seventh generation from Lawrance,
the American founder of the family, and one of the first settlers of Providence.
Isaac R. attended the public schools of his native town, and completed
his education at James Bushee's academy, Smithfield. After leaving
school he learned the trade of a carpenter. He then for some time
was clerk in the Mechanics House, Woonsocket, and afterwards he conducted
a hotel in Canada. In 1849 he went to the California gold fields with three
other men who were brothers, and they remained until 1851, when they all
returned together. In
that year he came to Pawtucket and went to work in Smith Grant's grocery store, where he remained for two years. At the end of this time he engaged in the grocery busines on his own account and carried in on for ten years. For eleven years he was confidential bookkeeper of H. L. Fairbrother & Co., tanners and belt makers.
Mr. Wilkinson has always been a Democrat. He was a member of the North Providence town council in 1860-1 and of the Pawtucket town council in 1880. President Cleveland appointed him postmaster of Pawtucket, May 26, 1885, and he served in that position for five years and five months. In religion he is a Universalist. He is an influential member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Assocation. Mr. Wilkinson married Eliza H. Arnold, Sept. 7, 1849, at Providence, and four daughters are the issue of the union: Ella H., b. Feb. 7, 1850, in East Greenwich; Hattie Gertrude, b. July 4, 1854, Stanstead, P. Q., Canada; Emma Jean, b. Dec. 16, 1856, Pawtucket; and Alice Ethel, b. Jan. 9, 1866, Pawtucket.
illustration on page 480: photo, Isaac R. Wilkinson, postmaster, Pawtucket, 1887 - 1892.
WILLMARTH, Daniel L., son of Haskell E. and Mary E. (Webster) Willmarth, was born in Seekonk, Mass., Oct. 5, 1849. His opportunities for attending school and obtaining even the rudiments of an education were very limited, being, from an early age, obliged to help in the hard work of the homestead farm. In 1868 he came to Pawtucket, and was apprenticed to learn the trade of a carpenter, which he was afterwards to follow through life. In 1873, on the completion of his apprenticeship, he started in business for himself as a contractor and builder. By his energy, perseverance and honorable dealing he has built up a large and profitable business, and many beautiful residences and important and valuable buildings devoted to a variety of useful purposes attest his skill in his chosen line of work. His shop and office at present are on Capital street.
He has always taken an interest in local municipal politics, and in 1895 was chosen a member of the Common Council of the city government, being re-elected for a second term in the same body in 1896. He was also Inspector of Public Buildings, by appointment of the mayor, for one year. He was married, May 18, 1874, to Miss Alice Hawes Smith, of Lincoln, R. I., from which union there is one son, Daniel L. Willmarth, Jr.
WILLMARTH, John W., chief engineer of the Pawtucket fire department, is the second child of Haskell E. and Mary E. (Webster) Willmarth. He was born, Dec. 8, 1851, at Seekonk, Mass., where he attended the public schools until he was 12 years old. His first employment was on a farm. In 1867 he learned the trade of a carpenter with Bliss & Carpenter, of Pawtucket, and continued to work for that firm as a journeyman. In 1876 he entered into partnership with Mr. Carpenter, as contractors and builders, the firm name being Carpenter & Willmarth. In 1878 Mr. Carpenter's interest was purchased by Robert MacKillop, and the firm name was changed to Willmarth & MacKillop. The firm's extensive establishment at 48 Dexter street, contains all the modern wood working machinery, and the facilities are unsurpassed. Among the public buildings erected by this firm are Church Hill school, Pidge avenue, Grove street, and the Mineral avenue schools, Pawtucket; the High school, Central Falls; the Masonic Temple, Providence; and the Soldiers' Home, Bristol, R. I.
For many years he has been connected with the fire department, and on March 1, 1896, succeeded John Brierly as chief. He is the second incumbent of this position since Pawtucket became a city.
In politics he is a Republican. He belongs to the Odd Fellows, and is a 32d degree Mason. His father was born in Seekonk, Mass., where the family settled at a very early date. His mother was born in Freetown, Mass., and is a member of the old Webster family of that place.
WILSON, James, city messenger, son of John and Charlotte (Cox) Wilson, was born Feb. 10, 1837, in Kinderhook, Columbia county, New York. His parents moved to Woodville, Mass., and in 1847 to Central Falls, and in 1849 to Pawtucket, R. I., where he worked in a cotton mill and attended the evening school kept by the late Joseph Carter in Central Fals, and also the evening schools in Pawtucket, and later a commercial school in Providence about one year. In 1857 he learned the trade of iron moulding in the shop of James S. Brown. August, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Co. I, 4th regiment, R. I. Volunteers, Erastus E. Lapham, captain. He was appointed corporal upon the organization of the company and was acting sergeant at the battle of Newberne, N. C., following which he was promoted to be sergeant. In consequence of a wound received in that battle he was honorably discharged in September, 1862. He returned to Pawtucket and went to work in the Fales & Jenks foundry. In August, 1868, he was appointed a police constable by the town of North Providence and served for two years. He had also power as constable to serve civil process, and this position he still holds. August, 1874, he was appointed a deputy state constable by Gov. Howard, under the constabulary law. From August, 1875, to April, 1876, he was special liquor officer in the employ of the town of Pawtucket. He was appointed a deputy sheriff by sheriff Holden and held that office for several years. February, 1892, he was elected city sergeant and messenger by the city council of Pawtucket, which position he now holds. For the past 25 years he has been prosecuting officer for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. In conjunction with his manifold duties as a public officer he successfully conducts a properous real estate office and collection bureau in the Cole block, 271 Main street. He belongs to the Pawtucket Business Men's Association; the G. A. R.; Hope Lodge, No. 186; Knights of Honor; and Nonpareil Temple of Honor, No. 4. He was married to Ellen L. Chace of Pawtucket, by which union there are two children now living.
WILSON, Robert, contractor and builder, is the third child of Joseph Mountain and Mary A. Wilson. He was born March 5, 1862, at Leeds, Yorkshire, England, where he attended school until he was 10 years old. He afterwards learned the trade of a mason and worked at that occupation as a journeyman in England and Ireland. In 1882 he came to America and worked at his trade in various places. Finally he located in Pawtucket, and in March, 1888, commenced business as a mason contractor, building Church Hill grammar school, Warren town hall, Johnston high school and other buildings. In 1889 he commenced taking contracts for the completion of buildings, doing his own carpenter work, hiring his men himself, not sub-letting any branch of the building construction. The following buildings speak of his capabilities: Times building, telephone building, and Central avenue school house, Pawtucket; Dr. Morrill's block, Concord, N. H.; State Institute for the Deaf, Providence, R. I.
In politics Mr. Wilson is a Republican. He is a member, was one of the organizers, and is treasurer of the Woodlawn Baptist church. July 20, 1887, he was married to Mary Marsh, daughter of Rev. John B. Marsh, and by this union there are two children: Mildred Marsh, b. Feb. 19, 1889; Edith Mary, b. June 12, 1891.
WOOD, Alanson Pitcher, was born in Smithfield, R. I., Jan. 31, 1837, and was the first child of Henry B. and Eliza (Gage) Wood. He attended the public schools of Central Falls and Pawtucket until he was 19 years old when he obtained a position with a wholesale lumber house in Providence. In 1858 he formed a partnership with his father, Henry B. Wood, and Gideon C. Smith under the name of the Central Falls Lumber Co. In 1865 Mr. Wood and his brother Anthony G. Wood, purchased the interest of Mr. Smith, and his father, Mr. Wood, and carried on the business until 1878, when their father again became a partner, and the firm was thereafter known as H. B. Wood & Co. His father died in 1886, and in 1891 Anthony died, since which time Mr. Wood has carried on the business himself under the old firm name.
Mr. Wood is a charter member of Washington Lodge, K. of P.; and of Superior Lodge, I. O. O. F., Central Falls; and he is also a Free Mason. In politics he is a Republican. He attends the Central Falls Baptist church on Broad street. May 28, 1863, he was married to Lydia A. Thurber, of Seekonk, Mass.
On both his father's and his mother's side Mr. Wood is descended from old New England families. His maternal grandfather, Anthony Gage, who was a sea captain for many years, was b. in 1763, and d. in 1831. His grandmother on his mother's side was b. at Harwich, Mass., Feb. 18, 1779, and d. in Central Falls in 1869. His paternal grandfather, Jonathan Wood, was b. Nov. 20, 1778, and spent his life in tilling the soil, dying at Attleboro, Mass., Sept. 16, 1860. His grandmother on his father's side, Betsey Wood, was b. June 30, 1780, and d. Jan. 23, 1864. It will thus be seen that his family are remarkable for longevity. His father, Henry B. Wood, the well-known lumber dealer of Central Falls, was b. in Rehoboth, Mass., Feb. 14, 1803, and d. in Central Falls, Sept. 27, 1886. The mother of Mr. Wood was Eliza Gage, b. in Harwich, Mass., Dec. 11, 1809, and was a member of the Gage family of that place. She died in Central Falls, Oct. 27, 1878. Mr. Wood seems to be in the enjoyment of perfect health and bids fair to attain as great an age as his grandparents.
At the outbreak of the rebellion he enlisted in the 9th Rhode Island regiment in the second three months' contingent. He was promoted to be corporal and served and returned with the company. He was a member of a company of zouaves in Pawtucket before he went to the war. Mr. Wood was born on the site of his present residence, which was then in the town of Smithfield, subsequently Lincoln, now Central Falls. He lived in the cottage he was born in until two years ago, when he moved the cottage and built his present residence.
illustrations on facing page (page 483): photos, Darius L. Goff, president
and treasurer, D. Goff & Sons; Stephen Whitaker, retired contractor
and builder; J. Ellis White, dealer in real estate; Alanson
P. Wood, of H. S. Wood & Co., lumber, etc.
WOOD, Charles D., son of Joseph and Phila T. (Freeman) Wood, was born, Nov. 23, 1844, at Central Falls, where he attended the public schools and completed his education at Lyon's University Grammar School, Providence. His first occupation was as a bookkeeper in Rockville, Conn. He then went to New York and became a partner in the firm of Belding Brothers, silk manufacturers. Six years later he disposed of his interst in this firm, came to Central Falls, and engaged in the tanning business with Nathaniel Fairbrother. Subsequently he engaged in the manufacture of machines for making shoes, in Boston; and in 1890 he joined with Henry T. Smith in the manufacture of seamless wire, and soon after organized the Standard Seamless Wire Co., of which he is now a director. He is also a stockholder in the Champion Nailing Machine Co., of Boston. During the civil war he served in the 9th R. I. Volunteers. He is an attendant of the Congregational church, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
In politics he is a Republican. His grandfather, William Wood, was born Oct. 23, 1760, at Hopkinton, Mass., and rendered signal service to his country during the war of the revolution. His father was born at Hopkinton, Oct. 18, 1803; became a prominent cotton manufacturer in Central Falls, and was successively a member of the firms of Benedict & Wood, Wood, Adams & Co., Wood & Adams, and the Stafford Manufacturing Co. He died at Central Falls, Feb. 10, 1873.
WOODHEAD, Thomas Abraham, grocer, 90 Hawes street, Central Falls, is the second child of Abraham and Maria (Pilkinton) Woodhead, and was born Sept. 2, 1851, at North Dighton, Mass. He attended the public schools at Stafford Springs, Conn., until he was 17 years old. He first went to work with his father in a dye house, but after working at this occupation for two years he abandoned it to learn the trade of a machinist at Providence. In 1876 he purchased a half interest in the retail grocery store of William Weeden, at 90 Hawes street, Central Falls. In 1878 Mr. Weeden sold his interest to E. L. Johnston, and in 1891 Mr. Woodhead bought Mr. Johnston's interest and has since conducted the business alone with much success. In politics he is a Republican. He attends the Park Place Congregational church. He is a member of the Odd Fellows. Jan. 6, 1881, he was married to Mary E. Barber of Central Falls, by which union there are three children: Charles, b. March 15, 1883; Alice, b. Aug. 7, 1888; Florence, b. Jan. 12, 1892. Mr. Woodhead descends from a family of English origin. His grandfather was born in England, and was a manufacturer of woolen cloth. His father was born in England, in 1818, and came to this country when a young man; he was a boss dyer. His mother was born Aug. 10, 1823, at North Dighton, Mass.
illustration on page 484: photo, Thomas A. Woodhead, grocer.
WOOLLEY, Rev. Joseph J., pastor of the Park Place congregational church, the son of Joseph and Fanny (Burroughs) Woolley, was born in Bridgeport, Conn., Sept. 17, 1832. He received his education in the public schools of his native place and the preparatory school of B. L. Johnson. He then entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal church, becoming a member of the New York East Conference. After pursuing the prescribed four years' course of study he was ordained deacon in 1860 by Bishop Scott, and elder by Bishop Mathew Simpson two years later. Soon after the outbreak of the war of the rebellion he became chaplain of the 8th regiment, Connecticut Volunteers, served in the Burnside campaign in North Carolina, but was honorably discharged on account of sickness. He then became pastor of the Center Congregational church in Meriden, Conn., from which he was dismissed by council to accept the call of the Pawtucket Congregational church.
Mr. Woolley came to Pawtucket the first time in June, 1871, and preached, as a candidate, at the First Congregational church, to which he received a unanimous call the following week. He came to reside with his family, in September of the same year. In March, 1882, he resigned and went to Europe, where he spent three months. On his return he was invited to become the pastor of a new church, the Sunday school of which was organized in August, 1882, and the church immediately afterwards. This church is called the Park Place Congregational, and began its first meetings in Music Hall, where its services were held until March, 1885. The corner stone of the new edifice was laid in 1884.
In February, 1889, Mr. Woolley went, together with Thomas P. Barnefield, the superintendent of the Park Place Sunday school, to Europe, travling in the East, going to Egypt, Palestine, and other countries bordering on the Mediterranean Sea. After an absence of four months he returned and resumed his labors in the church of which he holds the pastorate.
illustration on page 485: photo, Rev. Joseph J. Woolley, pastor, Park Place Congregational Church.
THE YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION of Pawtucket and Central Falls was organized as a result of a movement inaugurated by H. W. Harrub, principal of the Church Hill school, and president of the Local Christian Endeavor Union, who called a meeting of representative young men from the churches of Pawtucket and Central Falls, in November, 1888. Those present favored the movement, and thereupon a committee was appointed to enlist the co-operation of the clergy. As a result of the work of the committee several subsequent meetings were held, and sub-committees were appointed to secure needed funds. The project met with substantial encouragement from the business men of the community, and in November, 1889, the announcement was made that a sufficient definite sum had been raised to push the enterprise to a conclusion. Dec. 2, 1889, a meeting of those who had signified their intention to become members of the Association was held in the Park Place church, when a constitution and by-laws were adopted. An adjourned meeting of the Association was held in the vestry of the First Congregational church, Dec. 30, 1889, when a board of directors, a treasurer, and a recording secretary was chosen. Subsequently the board of directors met and elected a president, vice-president and auditor. Later on W. S. Foster, of New York, was engaged as general secretary and entered upon his duties in January, 1890.
The rooms of the Association in Kinyon Block were formally opened on Monday evening, Feb. 10, 1890. Among the exercises were addresses from president Andrews, of Brown University, and Rev. Alexander McGregor, pastor of the Pawtucket Congregational church. The first officers of the association were: president, Ansel D. Nickerson; vice-president, James R. MacColl; treasurerr, George H. Fuller; recording secretary, James L. Jenks; auditor, Andrew R. Matteson. Mr. Nickerson, after two years service, was succeeded by J. R. MacColl, who served two years and was followed by H. S. Johnson, the present president. Mr. Foster resigned as general secretary, May 1, 1891, and was succeeded by A. T. Stratton, the present incumbent, who entered upon his duties June 22, of the same year. After several years of progressive growth, new and commodious quarters were secured and were specially arranged for the Association in the Taylor building, and on the evening of July 10, 1895, they were formally opened with appropriate exercises. The Assocation has now 520 enrolled members.
The Newport County Reading Room Index More Biographies & History .