List of A placenames in SW Quebec
Copyright ©2001 Burton Lang Rev:23/04/2001
- See: L'Acadie.
- Adirondack Bridge (Pont des Adirondacks)
- The railway bridge on the New York Central (Conrail) rail
line, that crosses the Châteauguay River at
Châteauguay Basin. (45.377N/73.751W)
- Adirondack Junction
- A railway junction in Kahnawake (Caughnawaga) where the NY
Central Railway (Conrail) and the CPR lines join before crossing
the St-Lawrence railway bridge between Kahnawake and Lasalle.
- The native name for the St-Regis Indian Reserve. It
straddles the US border beside the St-Lawrence River, west of
Dundee. (45.00N/74.60W) Named after the Mohawk term "where the
- Alburg(h) (VT)
- An area (also called Grand Isle) and town on the peninsula
that juts down from Canada into the north end of Lake Champlain.
- Alexander's Corners
- An early name for Herdman (Hinchinbrooke).
- Alf Kenney Road (Hemmingford)
- A local name for the Brownlee Road South.
- Allan's Corners
- A hamlet on the north(west) side of the Châteauguay
River about 5.1mi (8.2km) west of Howick, QC where a bridge now
crosses the river. (45.160N/73.927W) It was named after the
family that operated a store and post office in the mid 1800s
(William Allan was the first postmaster in 1853). It was the
general location of the Battle of Châteauguay in 1813 and
now has a Parks Canada Historic Site nearby.
- Allan's Corners Post Office
- The Allan's Corners Post Office operated from 1853 to
- Allen('s) Brook
- A stream that starts in the US (called Shea Brook in US),
crosses the US border 0.3mi (0.5km) west of Rte 203
at Covey Hill Customs Port. (45.007N/73.808W) It flows north to
join with the English River, 1.2mi (2km) south of the Village of
St-Chrysostome. (45.082N/73.762W) Named after James Allen who
erected a grist mill there in 1815.
- Anderson's Corners
- A hamlet in Hinchinbrooke Township, at the corner of the Gore
Road and the Rockburn Sideroad, 3.7mi (5.9km) SE of Dewittville,
QC. (45.072N/74.048W) It was probably named after the first
postmaster, James Anderson or his family. Prior to 1872, the
post office there was called 'Six Mile Cross'.
- Anderson's Corners Post Office
- The Anderson's Corners Post Office operated from the store at
Anderson's Corners from 1872 until 1913. It was previously
called Six Mile Cross Post Office from 1868 until 1872.
- The name given to the Seigniory of Beauharnois by Alexander
Ellice in honor of his wife Ann.
- Annfield Mills
- The Seigniory mills at the Village of Beauharnois or an old
name of the Village of Beauharnois. Shown on the 1815 Bouchette
- Ann(')s Mill
- An old name for the village of Beauharnois during the early
- Annstown (Anns Town)(Seigniory of
- That area of the Seigniory of Beauharnois bounded by the
St-Louis River on the north, the Seigniory of Châteauguay
on the east, the Châteauguay River on the south and North
Georgetown on the west. (Center approx 45.27N/73.86W) Named after
Alexander Ellice's daughter Ann. Sometimes written as two
- Annstown (Beauharnois)
- Annstown was another old name for the town of Beauharnois
during the early 1800s.
- Anse aux Batteaux
- A bay on the north shore of Lake St-Francis, west of Coteau
Landing. (45.252N/74.213W) It was probably named for the boats
that would anchor there prior to shooting the rapids at Coteau
- Anse a l'Esturgeon
- A bay in the Richelieu River on the west side of
- Anse St-François
- See: Baie St-François.
- Ash Island (Île-Ash)
- An island in the Richelieu near Lacolle, that serves as part
of the highway (Rte 202) and railway bridges that
crossed the river. (45.063N/73.327W)
- A village located in Hinchinbrooke Township, about 3.5mi
(5.5km) south of Huntingdon at the junction of the Third
Concession Road, the Ridge Road and the Athelstan Road.
(45.035N/74.175W) Formerly named St-Michael's, it was named after
Athelstaneford, a village near Naddington, East Lothian,
Scotland. It was founded by Truesdale, an American who built a
- Athelstan Post Office
- The Athelstan Post Office has been open in Athelstan Village
- Athelstan Station
- A railway station located on the NY Central (Conrail) line, 1
mile (1.6km) west of Athelstan village where the rail line
crosses the Third Concession Road. (45.035N/74.197W)
- Atkinson Cemetery
- A small cemetery on private land located near Hemmingford on
James Fisher Road, 0.4mi (0.6km) SSE of the junction with the
Brownlee Road. (45.014N/73.545W) It is perched on a mound that
resulted from the removal of gravel from the land around it
during the construction of Autoroute 15.
- A village on the west side of the English River close to the
junction of the Norton Creek. (45.143N/73.789W) Originally named
California Village until the post office opened in 1867. Locally
known by some as Peasoup. Originally at the southeast corner of
the South Georgetown region of the Seigniory of Beauharnois,
Aubrey is now within the Muncipality of St-Chrysostome, QC. It
was sometimes spelt Aubry. Named after Edward Philip Aubrey, an
early settler and son of the founder of Aubrey's Corners in
- Aubrey Cemetery (Dundee)
- The cemetery at Aubrey's Corners in Dundee. Located on the
Dundee Centre Road, 0.1mi (0.16km) west of the junction with the
McCaffrey sideroad. (45.009N/74.458W)
- Aubrey Cemetery, Old (Dundee)
- There are two conflicting locations for an old cemetery at
Aubrey's Corners that is now plowed under and disappeared.
Described in a journal article by a family descendant as located
0.15mi (0.25km) SSE of the corners just on the west side of the
jog in the McCaffrey Sideroad. (45.006N/74.455W) An old map shows
another cemetery located just on the west side of the presently
visible Aubrey Cemetery but the 1950s topo map shows no sign of
it and there is no written reference to it. Which one is the "Old
Aubrey Cemetery" is debatable.
- Aubrey's Corners (Dundee)
- Located on the Dundee Center Road where the McCaffrey
Sideroad enters, close to where Fraser Creek crosses.
(45.009N/74.457W) Named after Edward Aubrey who was an early
settler in 1817 at that location. Also spelt Aubry's
- Aubrey Creek
- Original name for Fraser Creek which starts close to the US
border SW of Ste-Agnes (45.001N/74.421W) and runs NW past
Aubrey's Corners to Fraser's Point on Lake St-Francis.
- Aubrey's Point
- A point on the north end of Lake Champlain near Alburg (VT).
Its exact location is unknown but it could possibly? be what is
now called Windmill Point. (44.088N/73.337W)
- Aubrey Post Office
- The Aubrey Post Office operated from 1867 until 1969.
- Aubrey Sideroad
- The road that joins the Dundee Center Road at Aubrey's
Corners. (45.007N/74.454W) Now called McCaffrey Sideroad and
joins with the west end of the Ridge Road.
- Aubrey Station
- A station on the Canada Atlantic Railway (later CNR) line
where it crossed the Norton Creek about 1.3mi (2.1km) east of the
village of Aubrey. (45.151N/73.766W) It was first located about a
mile west of the final location. (45.157N/73.789W)
- A mis-spelling of Aubrey Village on the English River (South
- Aubry's Corners
- A mis-spelling of Aubrey's Corners.
- Australia Concession (Concession d'Australie) (South
- The first double concession south of Fertile Creek in
Très-St-Sacrement Parish. Comprised of the Sixth and
Seventh ranges of South Georgetown and the road that runs between
them from the Rock Sideroad to the English River near Riverfield.
(45.12N/73.84W) The Australia Concession Road is now named Rang 5
- Ayrness Junction
- A railway station at the junction of the Canada Atlantic
Railway and the Montreal and Champlain Junction Railway (both
later became part of CNR), 1 mile (1.6km) west of the village of
Howick. (45.182N/73.867W) Known locally as the 'Junction', it was
originally called Howick Junction. It was named Ayrness after
the nearby Ness family who were famous breeders of Ayrshire
cattle. An abortive attempt to develop the Village of Howick
Junction around Ayrness was made in the late 1800's.