Did you know?
- Stonycreek township made international headlines on Sept. 11, 2001
when flight 93 crash-landed near Lambertsville.
- Stony Creek township was organized as a township of Bedford County
in 1792. It was transferred to Somerset County when Somerset County
was formed in 1795.
- 1st general store in Shanksville: opened by Emanuel Shaffer about
- 1st wagon shop in Shanksville: started by John R. Marker about 1828.
- 1st hotel in Shanksville: opened by Daniel Shank prior to 1840.
- 1st physician: Dr. Fulk
- 1st church: The Reformed and Lutheran denominations erected the first
church in 1848. The building is now the Reformed church.
- Shanksville postoffice was established in 1847 with Josiah Brant as
- In 1884, Shanksville had three churches, one physician, three general
stores, one tinstore, one saddlershop, two blacksmith shops, one wagonshop,
two planing-mills, one flour-mill and one hotel.
return to top of page