archives BuildingSouthern Lancaster County Historical Society


Now and Then in Providence Township, 1976 , Paul Hollinger

The chips of brick and slate of an early school-house can be found in Arthur Tout's garden located about 300 feet west of the present school on Saw-mill Road. John Beck, who owned the grist mill, went to school there in 1900 before the school burned down. The present two-story building was for grades 1-8; the first floor 1-4, second floor 5-8. There was a school on or near this site on the maps for 1858, 64, 75, and 99. This school was closed in 1953. The Theo. Edwards family lives here.

This site is generously

Hosted by RootsWeb

Hosted by RootsWeb

return to SLCHS homepage