The following are transcriptions dated February 12, 1948 by George E. Hess, who lived near Rinely, York Co.
Mr. Hess prefaced the transcriptions with the following comments:
On my first trip to the Hess Cemetery in Lancaster County, I found it in good condition---board fences white washed and briars cut. A few years ago it was in deplorable shape. It is on the farm of L.D. Gallagher near Wakefield. Take the road to Lancaster from Conowingo at the top of the hill. At or near the Friends Meeting House turn left about a mile. The cemetery is in the middle of a field behind the barn.
INSCRIPTIONS ON GRAVESTONES IN A PRIVATE BURYING GROUNDS NEAR HENSEL, LANCASTER CO., PA.
1. In memory of David Hess, Born 1791, Died 1893.
2. Margaret Barnes, Wife of David Hess, Born 1787, Died 1849*. Buried at Salem, York Co., Pa.
[the transcript is typewritten, and an overstrike occurs on the "4" on the 1849 death date, making it unclear on the correct year of death. Other sources give the year of death as 1849.]
3. In memory of Abraham S. Hess who departed this life Sept. 29, 1840, age 24 years, 5 mo., 7days.
4. In memory of Christianna, Daughter of John and Esther Hess, born July 14, 1799, died July 14, 1819 age 20 yrs. Also her brother John Hess, Jr., who departed this life June 1, 1844. Age 36 years, 6 months, 4 days.
5. In memory of Abraham Hess who departed this lifeJan 4, 1852, age 81 years, 5 months, 11 days.
6. Jonas Hess, born 1796, died April 6, 1875.
7. Samuel Hess, Died Dec 28, 1857, age 70 years, 2 months, 14 days.
************************ Transcriptions submitted by Carl King