The German speaking portion of the Lutheran church, organized a separate congregation, and were charted as St. John's German Evalgelical Lutheran Church. They purchased the old church on Market street, built in 1843. This was in 1858. Rev. Eyer was called to the pastorate and served until his death in 1874. In 1875 Rev. J. W. Early became the pastor in connection with Mahoning and Lazarus. Rev. Early had been much blessed in his labors and is still in this charge, and bids fair to minister to this people for many years to come. And although the congregation felt the depressing effects of the late hard times; yet their church is without debt and improvements of the building are in contemplation.