The Danville Oil Refinery is located on the canal between Church and Ferry streets in the Thrid ward. It was established in 1865 by John G. Hiler and Charles L. Sholes. The capacity was about thirty barrels a week, but the works have since been much enlarged and improved. After conducting the oil refinery for about two years, they sold the establishment to William T. Ramsey and Charles W. Eckman. They sold to Dennis Bright and he to Messrs. Baily. Mr. Crane was also concerned in the works for some time. At present the firm is S. Baily & Co. The capacity of the Danville Oil Refinery is about three hundred barrels a month. Messrs. S. Baily & Co., are practical men and scrupulously guard the safety of consumers by carefully testing all their burning oils. The works have been a great convenience to the place, and aid very materially in swelling the growing volume of business in Danville.
Late in 1880, the Danville Oil Works, were purchased by the Standard Oil Company.
This page is maintained by Terri Cook as part of the USGenWeb Project. ©2002. Terri Cook. All rights reserved.