The Montour House is a large hotel, opposite the court-house. It was originally built by Daniel Montgomery who kept a store in the corner room. An orchard extended from the building up to Ferry street. Boyd, COlton and Donaldson also kept store there. In 1834 it was first opened as a hotel by Samuel Brady, who gave it its name "The Montour House." In 1846 G. M. Shoop purchased the property, and subsequently the house was kept by W. G. Gaskins, Cornelius Garretson, Smith, Kramer, Kirk and Jones. About 1859 James L. Riehl, the present proprietor purchased the Montour House, and it has since been kept by him. The house has been remodeled and greatly improved and ranks with the best hotels of the country. It contains every modern convenience and is kept in the best possible manner. For its popularity the house is much indebted to Samuel Cressman, the gentlemanly clerk, whose attention and accomodating spirit have made hosts of friends for the Montour House. The proprietor, Mr. Riehl, ever watchful for the welfare of his guests superintends every department of the establishment, and insures to all, every comfort that could be desired.
This page is maintained by Terri Cook as part of the USGenWeb Project.
©2002. Terri Cook. All rights reserved.