Montgomery Building Alexander Montgomery, who was born in the old mansion across the street from this building, and who died at the age of three score and ten, in the very chamber of his birth, was the founder of this edifice, as well as one of the early founders of Danville, and it still bears his name. The town received its name from his brother, General Daniel Montgomery, by whom its original foundation was laid. Highly respected in their day, their memory is still grate- fully cherished by their descendants and those with whom they were associated in life. But to the building. The first wing, or that on Bloom street, was erected in 1841, by Alexander Mont- gomery, and the other portion of the structure was erected in 1845.
On the 28th day of April, 1848, it was entirely destroyed by fire, involving a loss of some $15,000. It was occupied at the time of the fire by A. F. Russell's dry goods store; M. C. Grier's drug store; the office of the Danville Democrat, published by Charles Cook, Esquire; Mrs. Lenhart's dwelling; and J. G. Maxwell's dry goods store. Mr. Russel lost about $4,000. Mr. Grier's loss was near$3,000. Mrs. Lenhart's furniture and the office of the Demo- crat, with the building, were all a total loss. During the same season Mr. Montgomery contracted with A. G. Voris for its re- building, but Mr. Montgomery died before its completion. The executors, Andrew F. Russell and Michael C. Grier, howver, car- ried out the contracts, and the present Montgomery building was completed the same year. It is advantageously situated, at the cor- ner of Mill and Bloom streets, in the center of business operations, and is still one of the prominent objects of the town. It has a front of sixty feet on Mill street, extending fifty feet on Bloom street, and is three stories high.
This page is maintained by Terri Cook as part of the USGenWeb Project.
©2001. Terri Cook. All rights reserved.