Hamburgh, on the left bank of the Shenango, west of the
center of Delaware Township, is the metropolis of the township. It was
laid out in 1838 by Peter Beil, on lands
settled by Samuel Williamson as early as
1820. The growth of the place did not begin until 1840, when Peter
Beil, George Kamerer and Eli George
started the first store. The first tin-shop was started by Mr.
George in 1838, on the first village lot sold. Daniel
Hecker was the pioneer justice of the peace. The first shop and
the first cabinet-shop were started in 1840, by Charles
Cotterman and James Neihart,
respectively. Not until 1842 did the first hotel make its appearance.
New Hamburg has the usual line of stores and other business interests.
For an inland village it has considerable business activity.
History of Mercer County, 1888, page 521.
village of New Hamburg has figured in
the life history of many citizens of Mercer County. It
is now  a country place without even a postoffice, which was
discontinued about a year ago. But at one time it was the commercial
center of a considerable population, and its situation on the canal
favored its growth and prosperity even to the point of rivaling some of
the larger and older towns. Samuel Williamson was
a settler at this place about 1820, and in 1838 Peter
Beil laid out the village. This was during the building of the
canal. Peter Beil, George Kamerer and Eli
George were proprietors of the first store in 1840. ---------------------------------------
first sawmill in Delaware township was constructed in 1823, by Samuel
Williamson. It stood on the bank of the rivulet that enters
the Shenango at the site of New Hamburg. The pioneer sawmill
consisted, essentially, of a single upright saw, that was moved up and
down by water power. It was a number of years before the circular
saw came into use.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, pages 170-171,
and pages 54-55..