grocery merchant, was born in Lehigh County, Penn., April 2, 1828, and is
a son of David and Catharine (Beitnett) West, also natives of Lehigh
County, and of German parentage. They grew up and married in their native
county, and in 1832 removed with their family to Canfield, Ohio, and
settled on a farm. Two years afterward they removed to Leavittsburg, Ohio,
and in 1842 came to Mercer County, and located one mile east of
Greenville. In 1849 the parents moved into West Salem Township, where they
spent the remaining years of their lives. The mother died in 1863, and the
father in 1867. They were life-long Lutherans, and Mr. West supported the
Democratic party up to his death. They reared three children: Samuel, Mrs.
Polly Greenewalt, of Crawford County, Penn., and Mrs. Mary Struble, who
died in Wisconsin. Samuel left the parental roof in 1841, came to the
vicinity of Greenville, and worked on a farm until his twenty-fourth year.
In 1852 he got a government contract to carry a daily mail between
Greenville and Mercer. He established a hack line, and carried the first
daily mail between those points, which he continued to do for eight years.
In 1856 he obtained a similar contract to carry the mail from Greenville
to Warren, Ohio, which lasted four years, both contracts ending in 1860.
Mr. West then engaged in farming, and in 1863 opened a grocery store in
Greenville, which he conducted for one year. He purchased and ran the
Greenville Steam Saw-mill for the next two years, and then sold out and
went into the clothing business. In the spring of 1871 he disposed of his
stock and again engaged in the grocery trade, which he has since
continued. Mr. West was married April 6, 1852, to Miss Mary L. Homer, who
bore him one daughter, Mrs. Frances Hernevious, of West Salem Township.
Mrs. West died, in the Methodist faith, December 23, 1855. In December,
1859, Mr. West was again married, to Miss Maria Knappenberger, who has
borne him four daughters and three sons: Minnie, Lydia, Samuel, Alice,
John, Harry and May, all living at home. The family belong to the Lutheran
Church, and Mr. West is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and a stanch
supporter of the Democratic party.
History of Mercer County,
1888, pages 834-835