In 1792, the Associated Reformed Congregation of Fermanagh erected their first church building. It was an oak log structure in what was then known as Fermanagh Cemetery, now known as Adams Cemetery. In 1803, the Big Spring Presbytery was organized there. In 1833, the congregation relocated to Mexico and built a stone church. In 1902, this building was replaced by the present brick sanctuary.
Buchwalter – Bookwalter Family Cemetery
From Mifflintown, head east on SR 3002 [old Rt. 22] for 0.1 miles. Turn left onto Cedar Street, SR 2006. [Outside of Mifflintown, road signs are Cedar Spring Road.] Drive 2.0 miles and turn right onto SR 2001[Swamp Rd]. Drive 0.8 miles and turn left on T 388 [Cedar Grove Road]. Follow T 388 [Cedar Grove Road] for 1 mile and turn left onto T 351[Deerville Rd.] The cemetery is just ahead on the right and is enclosed by a white board fence.
Cedar Grove Church of Christ Cemetery
From Mifflintown, head east on SR 3002 [old Rt. 22/322] for 0.1 miles. Turn left onto Cedar Street, SR 2006. [Outside of Mifflintown this road is called Cedar Spring Road.] Drive 2.0 miles and turn right onto SR 2001[Swamp Rd]. Drive 0.8 miles and turn left on T 388 [Cedar Grove Road]. Follow T 388 [Cedar Grove Road] for .8 miles to cemetery on the right. [The cemetery stones are flat on the lawn and there are no trees; the cemetery has an appearance of a large lawn].
Cedar Spring Presbyterian
This is the site of the first church built in the county, the Cedar Spring Presbyterian Meeting House erected circa 1763. From Mifflintown, take Route 35 North towards McAlisterville. Turn right at the traffic light, corner of Butcher Shop Rd. and Industrial Rd (SR 2001). Cross Cedar Spring Road. Continue another 1/2 mile. Cemetery is on the right.
Indian Mound Shearer Farm
“The site, located on the John Shearer farm [Mexico area], near the river, contained traces of skeletons of old Algonquian tribesmen, possibly dating before the time of Christ. It was the burial ground for at least three great Indian tribes. Archaeologists from Harrisburg examined this shortly after its discovery, around 1934.” 
Center Lutheran Church Cemetery
From Mifflintown, head east on old Route 22/322, now SR 3002 towards Thompsontown for a distance of 6 miles. The church and cemetery are on the left side of the road.
Locust Run Cemetery
From Mifflintown, head east on old Route 22/322, now SR 3002, towards Thompsontown for a distance of 7.8 miles. The cemetery is on the right side of the road.
This is the burial site for the famous Captain James Patterson, a veteran of the early Indian wars. He died in the later half of 1772. The last recorded burial in the cemetery occurred in 1871. Family names of those individuals buried in this historic cemetery are Landis, Miller, Kingery, Gingrich, Hartman, Thomas, Toomey, Leonard, Motzer, Shelley, Knox, Stauffer, Mouk, Pearson, Lotz, Cody, Kelsey, Buser and Cleck.
Old Meeting House Burial Ground
"A meeting house formerly stood in the old burial ground near the property of Mrs. Sarah Wetzel, in the ridges at the north side of the township." 
Old Order Amish Cemetery
From Mifflintown head east on old route 22, now SR 3002, turning left onto Cedar Street, SR 2006. [Outside of Mifflintown this road is called Cedar Spring Road]. Drive approximately 5.7 miles, almost to the village of Van Wert. Just before the village is SR 2007 [Locust Run Rd.] on the right. Turn right and follow this road 0.4 miles. The cemetery is on the right side of the road and is enclosed by a white board fence.
Philip Zendt Burial Site
This family cemetery reportedly had two or three graves besides that of Philip Zendt, who died in 1877. His was the only grave that had a tombstone that was recorded in the 1970's cemetery survey. Nothing is known about the other individuals who are buried here. 
Scotch – Irish Cemetery
Nothing is known about this cemetery other than its location in Walker Township. No intact tombstones remain though portions of some can still be seen.
Thompson Family Cemetery
“The old Thompson cemetery lies on the hill back from the town, and is unused.” 
The Union Cemetery was incorporated February 1, 1869. A group of citizens in the Mifflintown and Patterson area decided that a new cemetery "was needed for those wishing a place where they can be assured that graves will not be molested by the extension of the town or the onward march of improvement."
Weaver Family Cemetery
David Weaver [Weber] came to Juniata County with his wife, Elizabeth Stouffer, in 1806 and settled in that part of Juniata County which is now Walker Township. The Weaver Family was originally from Lancaster County. The immigrant settler Weber had three sons, George, Henry and Jacob. They settled in the area that is since known as Weaverland, near Blue Ball. Other Weaver family members are buried in the Lost Creek and Delaware Mennonite Cemeteries in Juniata County. Many are buried in Ohio. 
Wirt - Knox Family Cemetery
All of the information on record in 1969 about this cemetery was obtained from individuals who lived in the area or on the farm on which the cemetery was located. None of the elderly people, life long residents of the area, could recollect any of the early history of the plot except that it had long been established when they were young.
Some cemetery transcriptions are available online at the Juniata Co PAGenWeb site.
All written content and photos ©2001-2009
Juniata County Historical Society, all rights reserved.