society home page
Cemetery Directions and Photographs
see Thompsontown link on the left for Emmanuel Lutheran Church and Cemetery
and St Stephens Episcopal Church and Cemetery
Delaware Mennonite Church and Cemetery
"The Delaware (Mennonite) meeting-House was erected, of brick, about 1870 and is located a short distance from East Salem" 
From Mifflintown, head east on old route 22, now SR 3002 to Thompsontown; or take Rt. 322 [4 lane highway] to Thompsontown, a distance of approximately 10 ½ miles. From the Thompsontown exit of Rt. 322 turn right onto Rt. 333 East/North; if following SR 3002 drive through Thompsontown and turn left on to Rt. 333 East/North. Travel about 2.8 miles. The church/school/cemetery is on the right side of the road. The cemetery is behind the school on the hill.
 History Of That Part Of The Susquehanna And Juniata Valleys Embraced In The Counties Of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union And Snyder In The Commonwealth Of Pennsylvania
Volume I, Philadelphia, Everts, Peck & Richards, 1886, page 874.
East Salem Methodist Cemetery, Otterbein United Methodist Church
From Mifflintown, head east on old route 22, now SR 3002 to Thompsontown; or take Rt. 322 [4 lane highway] to Thompsontown, a distance of approximately 10 ½ miles. From the Thompsontown exit of Rt. 322 turn right onto Rt. 333 East/north; if following SR 3002 drive through Thompsontown and turn left on to Rt. 333 East/North. Drive to East Salem on Rt. 333 East/north. At the East Salem United Methodist Church turn right onto Rt. 235 South. Otterbein United Methodist Church and the cemetery are ahead on the left.
Harner Family Cemetery
The Historical Society has no history on this family cemetery or it’s exact location, in 1971, on the Hart Farm in Delaware Township. Elizabeth Harner – April 2 1818, age 11 days
 Harner Family Cemetery File
Lantz Family Cemetery
Mr. John Lantz who is buried within the iron enclosure began this cemetery. He originally owned all the land on the highland area, north and west of Thompsontown, popularly known as the Pinnacle. Supposedly, Mr. Lantz set one acre of ground aside for a burial plot, but the apparent dimensions are about ¼ of an acre. There is no deed or other papers indicting ownership of the land. There is no established fund for maintenance or administrator of the cemetery. 
From Mifflintown, head east on old Route 22/322, now SR 3002, to Thompsontown. At the square in the center of town, make a hard left turn onto Pine Street and follow Pine St. out of Thompsontown, past the elementary school into the countryside. Drive for a distance of 1.6 miles. The cemetery is located on the right side of the road almost directly across from the intersection with Hart Road, T403. It is up the embankment, in a cluster of pine trees.
 Lantz Family information 1969
Thompson or Lock Cemetery
This cemetery is perhaps the oldest of all cemeteries in Juniata County as it was listed in 1767-1768 as being in Fermanagh Township, than Cumberland County. Situated on land that belonged to the James Mitcheltree Family; his death at the hands of Indians reportedly was the beginning of the cemetery.
The cemetery was known in earlier days as the Juniata Burying Ground and is called the Lock Cemetery presumably because it is near a now abandoned Pennsylvania Canal lock. In 1808 Robert Thompson purchased the farm on which the cemetery is located from the estate of James Mitcheltree. His father, pioneer John Thompson, lies buried in the cemetery which contains seven generations of Thompsons. 
From Mifflintown, Follow SR 3002 [old Route 22] to Thompsontown, about 10 ½ miles. Drive through Thompsontown, passing the square, businesses, homes and Haldeman Park. Drive out of town an additional 1.6 miles. The cemetery is located on the right side of SR 3002 about 40 or more yards off the road, and is visible from that point. A long white board fence is a landmark for locating the cemetery.
 From family history supplied by Mrs. K Thompson Ulery, 1969.
Whiteland United Methodist Church Cemetery
From the traffic light in Mifflintown, follow Rt. 35 to McAlisterville, about 9 miles. Turn right at the traffic light onto Rt. 235. Follow this route to East Salem, about 3.6 miles; turn left in East Salem continuing to follow Rt. 235. Continue on Rt.235 for approximately 2.7 miles. The church and cemetery are on the right hand side of the road.
The cemetery can also be reached by driving to Thompsontown on either old Rt.22 or Rt. 322/22. Then follow directions to East Salem and Rt. 235 via Rt. 333 East/north.
The white, wooden church has a small bell tower. It sits next to a brick building formerly a schoolhouse.
The church is now called Cross Roads Church of God Of Prophecy
Some cemetery transcriptions are available online at the Juniata Co PAGenWeb site.
All written content and photos ©2001-2009
Juniata County Historical Society, all rights reserved.