TOWNS AND VILLAGES
- BLOUGH (formerley Dulls' Station)
- Located in the northeastern part of the Quemahoning Township, Blough
was originally known as Dulls' Station--a mining town which was laid out in 1920 by
Wilbur Coal Mining Company.
- Hooversville was established in 1836. The first settlers to claim land in the
area were George Lohr (1780), Michael Kocher, and Casper Ripple
in 1828. Jonas Hoover, the founder of Hooversville, came to
in 1834 and bought land from the heirs of Casper Ripple. In 1836, he
the present Water and Main Streets. Jonas Hoover was a farmer who ran
on Hoover Street in 1847.
He was a Justice of the Peace from 1852 to 1862. He and David Crissey
the German Reformed Church at Hooversville.
- KANTNER (formerly Stonycreek Crossings and Sprucetown)
- Kantner is located in the eastern part of Quemahoning Township and
places to be settled in the county. Benjamin Jolly was an innkeeper during the
War. The town was named after John F. Kantner, who built a fulling mill in
is still standing. It was purchased by William Rininger in 1884. William
Don Cameron Rininger III, has graciously submitted his copyrighted photo of
Mills, as well as some historical highlights and a Rininger family biography.
Rininger Woolen Mill Photo
- Kimmelton, located in the southeastern portion of Quemahoning
out in 1900 by the Reading Coal Mining Company. It was located near the
Cambria branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
- Landstreet, a small mining town located in the northern part of
It was laid out by the Somerset Coal Company in 1900.
- Situated at the boundary of Quemahoning and Jenner Townships, and
located in the southwestern part of Quemahoning Township, Ralphton was laid
Quemahoning Coal company in 1903.
- Reading, located in the southern part of Quemahoning Township, was laid
Reading Coal Mining Company in 1908.
- Daniel Stoy founded Stoystown in 1774. It was a chief commercial center
County during the stagecoach days, located on the Old Pennsylvania Road