Quemahoning Township lies in the north-central part of Somerset County.
on west by Jenner Township, on the north by Conemaugh and Paint
Shade Township, and on the south by Stony Creek and Somerset
Township's eastern border is formed by Stony Creek and the north-western
Creek, from which the township got its name.
"Quemahoning" is an Indian word meaning "water issuing from a lick."
is found on the surface of the earth and wild animals resort to licking it up;
Christopher Gist's Journal
Reference to Quemahoning was made by the surveyor Christopher Gist in
been commissioned in 1749 by The Ohio Company to explore and report
Ohio Company was formed in 1748 by several planters from Virginia and
brothers of George Washington) to promote settlement of the Ohio Valley.
Northern Indian Trail and passed through what would become
provides early information about this area. Gist also made reference to an
Kickenapaulin's Town which was located near the Quemahoning Creek.
submerged when the Quemahoning Reservoir was formed. He also
Indian cabin which was believed to be near Kantner.
There was an old Indian trail called the Raystown Path which went from
In 1757, during the French and Indian War (1754-1763),
command of an army expedition to attack Fort Duquesne, which was held
forks of the Ohio River. In July 1758, Forbes ordered Colonel Henry
westward from Raystown (Bedford) to Loyalhanna Creek (Ligonier).
the Forbes Road was built.
Forts in Quemahoning Township
Along the Forbes Road, forts were built by Boquet's troops. One was Fort
west of the Stony Creek on what would become the Thomas Ringler farm
Township. This was near what had been referred to by early fur traders as
About six miles from Fort Stony Creek, another fortification was built at
east of the Quemahoning Creek on land that would become Joseph
Township. There was also a small pallisade at Stoystown which was
the early settlers there.
Formation of Quemahoning Township
In 1775, Quemahoning Township was organized, by the Bedford County
Brothersvalley and part of Turkeyfoot Townships. At that time, it
present-day Somerset County and part of what is now Cambria County.
reduced through the formation of new townships.
The portion of Bedford County west of the Allegheny Mountain was so
of Bedford, which was east of the Allegheny Mountain, that the residents
legislature to organize a new county. April 17, 1795, Somerset County
six townships: Brothersvalley, Turkeyfoot, Quemahoning, Milford, Elk
Creek. In 1795, from Quemahoning Township, James Wells was appointed as
judge, and John Reed was elected as one of the first county commissioners.
The Trostletown covered bridge (pictured on Main Menu page) crossed
In 1964, the Stoystown Lions Club acquired the this bridge. In 1965 a
held in honor of the Stoystown Lions Club's efforts in restoring this