Quemchurch
Brethren
1910 Quemlogo
Hosted by Jan Hoth

GOemail Jan

GOMain Menu

GOBaptisms
GOBiographies
GOCemetaries
GOCensus
GODeaths / Obits
GOEstates / Wills
GOHistory
GOLinks
GOMaps
GOMarriages
GOMilitary
GOSchools
GOSocieties
GOSurnames/Links
GOTax Lists
GOTowns
GOWarrant/Patent/Deed

CHURCHES

HOOOVERSVILLE REFORMED CHURCH
aka WEIGLE'S LUTHERAN
& REFORMED CHURCH
Hooversville, PA

The Lutheran congregation was organized by Rev. William Kopp in 1848. The original members included:

Samuel Swank
D. Bepley and wife
Emanuel Lohr and wife
John Weigle and wife
Conrad Wolford and wife
Emanuel Wolford
Samuel Wolford
Thomas Lohr and wife
Samuel Lohr and wife
Jonathan Joder and wife
Michael Bepley
Thomas Crissey
Jacob Beaber and wife
Hannah and Eliza Crissey
May Peterson
J. Naugle and wife
Christian Colterbaugh and wife

The first officers were:

Samuel Swank, elder
Peter Boyer, elder
John Weigle, deacon
John Lohr, deacon

The first church building was erected in 1849 at a cost of $700. The cornerstone for a new edifice was laid in 1882; 40 x 60 feet, with a basement and a steeple.

Lutheran Pastors:

Rev. William Koop
Rev. J.K. Bricker
Rev. John Bechtel
Rev. J. Beaver
Rev. R. Smith
Rev. J.H. Walterick
Rev. J.L. Miller
Rev. J. B. Shoup
Rev. John N. Unrub

The Reformed congregation had been supplied with preaching by the pastors of Beam's charge and Stoystown; but in 1883 it became a regular portion of the Stoystown charge.

Reformed pastors:

Rev. A.B. Koplin, 1857-1858
Rev. D.H. Reiter, 1859-1867
Rev. James Grant, 1868
Rev. W.H. Bates, 1876-1879
Rev. J.S. Wagner, 1879-1883
Rev. W.D. Lefevre, 1883

HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC CHURCH
Sugar Street & D Alley
Hooversville, PA

HOOVERSVILLE CHURCH
OF THE BRETHREN
Lohr Street
Hooversville, PA
(See sketch above, ca 1910)

HORNER / ZION HOFFMAN
LUTHERAN PARISH
2447 Lincoln Highway
Stoystown, PA

KANTNER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
RD 2
Stoystown, PA

MT TABOR REFORMED CHURCH
(also known as ZIMMERMAN CHURCH)
German Reformed - Stoystown

The date this church was formed is unknown; however, Rev. Henry Giesey was pastor in 1799. The Reformed and Lutheran congregations of Stoystown built a log church which was located in the cemetery east of the town. Both of these denominations worshipped in the church until 1806 when Rev. Henry Gerhart organized the Stoystown Evangelical Lutheran Church. SEE STOYSTOWN LUTHERAN CHURCH BELOW FOR SOME COMMUNION RECORDS (beginning 1830's)

Pastors (from baptismal records, an incomplete list)

Rev. Henry Giesey
Rev. J. G. Ibbeken
Rev. C.F. Hoffmeier
Rev. William Conrad
Rev. H.W. Hibsham
Rev. George H. Johnson (Somerset Charge)
Rev. A.J. Heller
Rev. H.F. Keener
Rev. W.H. (A.H.?) Bates
Rev. D.O. Shoemaker

Evangelical Lutheran Pastors (from Communion and Confirmation records, an incomplete list)

Rev. P. Rizer
Rev Loci

STOYSTOWN LUTHERAN CHURCH

GO1820's Confirmation/Communion

GO1830's Confirmation/Communion

GO1840's Confirmation/Communion

GO1850's Confirmation/Communion

GO1860's Confirmation/Communion

GO1870's Confirmation/Communion

GO1880's Confirmation/Communion

STOYSTOWN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
Main Street
Stoystown, PA

ST. PAUL'S CHURCH
Hooversville

ST. THOMAS EVANGELICAL
LUTHERAN CHURCH
1439 Ridge Road
Hooversville, PA

TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH
(joined with St. Thomas Church in 1970)

VICTORY LIGHTHOUSE FULL
GOSPEL CHURCH

Stoystown, PA

WEIGLE'S LUTHERAN CHURCH
See Hooversville Reformed Church

ZIMMERMAN CHURCH
See Mt. Tabor Reformed Church

GOTop of Page