EARLY LAND OWNERS (& FAMILIES)
(From NOTES ON CHARLESTOWN TOWNSHIP by
Harmon D. Rees.
Chester County Historical Society; West Chester, Pa.)
TRADITIONS OF EARLY FAMILIES AND LAND
The MARTINS were about the first of the early settlers in
Charlestown township, and owned several tracts of land adjacent to each
Lewis Martin bought from John Budd what is now the farm of H. S.
Walker; he was assessed 1722 to 53. He was one of the organizers of
the Charlestown Presbyterian church.
Llewellyn Martin bought from John Budd 150 acres and assessed
Matthias Martin, son of Llewellyn, bought 150 acres from John Budd;
assessed 1722-1765; sold to Joel.
Roger Martin owned farm later Stockwell; he was born 1707 and died
George Martin assessed 1753 and naturalized 1763.
William Martin, son of Lewis Martin.
Joel Martin 1774 assessed with 135 acres and in 1784 sold 37 acres
to Roger Little, Sr.
Rachel Martin assessed 1785.
Jane Martin assessed 1774 with 60 acres.
David Martin owned farm later David Hartman.
James Martin 1774 assessed with 140 acres.
William Martin 1774 assessed.
Margaret Martin 1780 assessed with 133 acres.
The Martin clan owned about 1000 acres. The last resident descendant
of this large family was Bable Little, a daughter of Roger Martin Little.
The Martin land today known as Stockwell, Eastwick, Walker, Little,
Hartman, Fritz and Shupert.
The largest land owners and among the first were the DAVIS Clan-- Davis,
David and Davies. Reference to the Davis stronghold made
before on page . In 1722-1724 there were Davis'
assessed as land owners-- Stephen, Llewellyn and Thomas. Fifty years
later many Biblical names are added, Mashock, Mathusalem, Theophilus,
Zedediah, John, David, Jonathan, Levi, Israel, Samuel, Isaac, Jesse and
Sarah and many others less distinguished forerunners.
The Davis name held till to about 2000 acres, and of this fast number of
early land owners we find as the resident descendants--- B. Frank
Davis, the Fishers and the Rees. The Davis land owners today,
Foster, Fisher, Stonerow, Peak, Soulen, Berger, Smith, Mingles, Otto,
Sugerman, Donaghue, Oats, Clothier, Large and Bergen.
SNYDER- In 1797 John Snyder-- "Shoemaker"-- came
down from Pikeland and bought a farm of 104 acres and several of his
descendants have been land owners. The Snyder properties included
the following farms-- Baker, Pyle, Coryell, Mains, S___worth. The
resident descendants are Benjamin Rapp, Joseph Snyder, Mrs. John Wells,
and the Edward Ott family.
YOUNG- Peter Young a young emigrant from Germany married
------- Snider, a sister of the above mentioned John Snider. They
moved from Pikeland and bought a farm from the Martins; he was assessed in
1785. Later known as the David Hartman farm. They had a large
family, most of which settled in the township. Land later known
besides the homestead, Foster bird farms, Moll, Histon, Cortright,
Sugerman, Devault Beaver, Dr. Wells and Sugerman farms. The resident
descendants today-- John and Edwin Wells, Mrs. J. w. Carns, Mrs. Samuel
Smith and the Rees'.
BUCKWALTER- Francis Buschwalder bought 620 acres in
Charlestown township. This land was north of French Creek, so is now
in Phoenixville and Schuylkill districts. He had three sons, John,
Jacob and Joseph. John Buckwalter bought in 1751 102 acres, now
Samuel Buckwalters. He was assessed in 1753-1774 with 400 acres some
of which was later in Schuylkill township or Phoenixville.
Beside the homestead tract of 102 acres now 146 acres, the Buckwalters
owned - now Edith Foster farm. Of the seven generations of this
family Samuel Buckwalter family is the only resident descendant of John
BYERS- from 1753-1788 the Byers owned about 600 acres in the
western end of Charlestown township, Joseph, father of John and Samuel
also Ann, Benjamin and Jacob. The location not determined but there
are no descendants residing within.
COFFMAN- John Coffman owned farm at Sidley Station now Yerger,
later owned Peak, the Mill and Ice Dam farm; his son Daniel owned the Peak
farm and Samuel the Ice Dam farm. John Comman (sic) had 14
children. Danile had a large family. There are no resident
descendants except Mrs. Samuel Buckwalter.
FUNK- While the Funks were not residents of this township they
owned five farms; four were in the township. They were Clothier,
Large, Matthews and Fisher. The only resident descendants are the
Fishers. The Funks go back as far as 1780 as land owners.
GRIFFITH- The Griffiths owned about 400 acres and in 1722
Harry Griffith is assessed as a land owner. __dish, James, Harry,
David, Samuel, Evan and several John's which seemed to be a favorite name
in the Griffith family. They owned now John Ott, Donoghue, Oats,
Mysauka and Berger. There are no resident descendants.
JONES- The Jones clan was a large land owner in the
township. In an assessment in 1722 there was a Griffith, John,
James, Philip, David and Emanuel Jones. Griffith and John owned land
as early as 1715. In 1743 Griffith and Emanuel were trustees in
Charlestown Presbyterian Church. Other Jones's land owners before
the 18th century besides the above, Phineas, Levi, Griffith, Ephraim,
David, William, Levi and Amos Jones. This clan owned about 2000
acres, some of which is now Schuylkill township. Land owners since
1800 were Benjamin and Thomas; one Griffith Jones owned the farm of Don
Newton in 1797. None of the Jones clan are resident land owners.
JOHN- The John clan owned several hundred acres. In
1724 there were Thomas, David, James, Philip, and Nathaniel, sons of
Griffith John who owned the Samuel Buckwalter and Kenneth Rhoad farms,
besides woodland 340 acres. David helped organize Charlestown
Presbyterian Church 1743. Daniel, Joshua, Amos and Samuel. In
1842 Samuel John owned farm of Leonard Himes and other land in that area.
No resident land owners in the township of the John Clan.
KING- The first of this clan Philip 1737 tavern keeper.
1797 John King owned farm of Harry Peck. 1813 his son Philip owned
same farm. 1813 George King owned 23 acres of the Snyder
tract. 1841 Isaac King, store at Charlestown Village. 1873 his
son Moses, same store. Michael King 1780 farm later H. D.
Rees. Lawrence son of Michael and owned same farm. The only
surviving descendants of the King clan in the township is John D. Wells.
LITTLE- The first land owner of this clan was Roger Sr.
1780 owned 60 acres later Southworth. 1784 bought 37 acres from Joel
Martin. 1819 he bought 100 acres from John Sahler Est. These
two tracts now 137 acres, Mable Little. He also owned the Eastwick
and Stockwell farms. William and Major sons and Rebecca a daughter,
these located on the three farms of their father, Roger Jr. son of Major
and Mable daughter of Roger. She was the last resident descendant of
the Little clan.
LLEWELLYN- In 1780 Wiliam Llewellyn was listed as a
carpenter. No doubt the founder of the Llewellyn clan in the
township, 1827 Thomas and William carpenters and cabinet makers owned now
the Llewellyn Gardens and Mrs. Wesley Pyle farms. They were sons of
William. William, son of William Jr. and Thomas, son of Thomas,
later owned above farms. Harry Llewellyn son of Oliver founder of
Llewellyn Gardens. No resident descendants.
McCURDY- The only property owned by this family was a farm on
Route 29, now Yerger. DAniel 1823, a Justice, taught school at Flat
Meeting House. One of the first Methodists located here and was a
member of the Anderson Society. His son John M. followed his father
as Justice, Surveyor, School teacher 1832 and farmer. A class
leader Charlestown M. E. Church. Wesley son of John farmed the above
farm. No resident residents.
McVEIGH- In 1796 Nathan McVeigh bought farm later Carl Engle
and M. Aubrey Pyle. Nathan died 1842. His son Major kept store
and tavern at Charlestown village. Moved to West Vincent township
and kept tavern. He later moved to Phoenixville and kept the
Washington House. His son Wayne was born Phoenixville in 1833.
Major McVeight was an important citizen. No resident descendants.
PRITCHARD- In 1715 Griffith Pritchard owns 340 acres a part
of Pickering tract. Later Walton and Stonerow farms. His son
Anthony helped organize Charlestown Presbyterian church in 1743. And
owned 200 acres of above. In 1734 Richard Pritchard lived in
Pikeland and owned land in Charlestown. No Pritchards since 1800.