The foregoing extract shows who took up land in Manor during the period before the Revolution. The lands of the township continue to be divided among new purchasers. Farms were cultivated in every portion. Turkey Hill and the tract in the northwestern part began to be settled and grist-mills and saw-mills were erected in all parts. Land was then valued at from twenty-five to thirty dollars per acre. Good horses were valued at ninety dollars, and cows at fifteen dollars. Timber was cut down and large tracts were rapidly cleared and converted into highly productive fields, and orchards were planted. The village of Millersville was laid out before the Revolution, and a tavern was erected on the site of the present "Black Horse" about 1769 or 1770. The toil and industry of the Swiss and German settlers in Manor soon made that township the most highly productive agricultural district in the county. A Mennonite meeting-house was early erected in the centre of the township, on the land now owned by C. B. Herr. The northern boundary of Manor was pushed about a mile and a half north of the original line.
Following is an assessment-list of Manor for 1780, during the period of the Revolution:
Ackerman, Paul Domini, Michael
Atter, John Dercher, David
Bear, John Dunikle, John
Burkholder, Christian (2 Mills) Dichober, Henry
Brenner, George Dundore, Jacob
Breneman, Henry Dunckle, Melchor
Bauman, Christian Dunckle, Matthew
Brenner, Jacob Dunikle, George
Brenner, Philip Eberly, Henry
Brenner, George (Adam's son) Eshleman, John
Berg, Jacob Eshleman, Jacob
Bonn, Jacob Erisman, George
Bonn, Widow Erisman, Andrew
Bender, Michael Ehrhard, Daniel
Bott, Henry Ehrlich, Christian
Bachman, Christian Eberly, Matthew
Bachman, Michael Frantz, Jacob
Behm, Gabriel Funck, Samuel
Bentzinger, Matthias Funck, Henry
Brand, Frederick Funck, Martin, Jr.
Bear, Jacob Funk, John (smith)
Corell, Jacob Funk, Henry (old)
Caniday, William Funk, Jacob
Derstler, Adam Funck, John
Dosch, George (1 negro) Fisher, Adam
1 Spark's Franklin, vol. iii, p. 553
Frey, John Klug, Charles
Feg, Frederick Kaufman, Andrew
Forseigh, James Kaufman, Jacob (miller, 1 mill)
Faules, David Kegy, Jacob
Funck, Rudolph (weaver) Kegy, Jacob (executor for Isaac)
Festermacher, Frederick Kaufman, Andrew (old)
Funck, Henry Lindner, Andrew
Grobb, John (land) Lockert, Thomas
Goodman, Jacob (1 mill) Lohrman, Adam
Gander, Martin Lutz, Casper
Gerber, Christian Litzeberger, Adam
Gessler, John Lazarus, Peter
Hillegar, Conrad Lighty, Henry
Har, Abram (David Har's son Logkin, John
Hershey, Christian Lighty, Henry Smith
Hostetter, Jacob Manning, John
Hostetter, Benjamin Miller, Jacob
Har, Samuel Miller, Benjamin
Har, Christian (David Har's son) Miller, Henry
Hampton, John Mour, Benjamin
Heller, Michael Neff, Henry (Innkeeper)
Henry, William Mour, John
Hostetter, John Mour, widow
Hopp, Frans McDonald, Samuel
Har, John (David Har's son) Mosser, Yost (saw-miller, 1 mill)
Harr, Rudolph (oil-miller, 1 mill) Man, Barnard
Hershey, Christian (old) Man, John
Histand, Henry Mellinger, Benedict
Habecker, Joseph Martin, Isaac
Habecker, Christian Mentzer, Frederick
Holl, Peter, Martin, David
Hostetter, Abram Meyers, Peter
Harr, Christian (old Abram's son) McManue, William
Harr, Abram (old, 1 mill) Miller, Abraham (preacher)
Harr, John (old Abram's son) Miller, Abram
Hershey, Christian Mellinger, Jacob
Hinckle, John McCormack, William
Harr, Christian (saw-miller, 1 mill)
Newcomet, John (weaver) Miller, Jacob
Hausman, Paul Mentzer, Michael
Harr, Abram Newcomet, John
Halbrun, Widow Neff, Isaac
Hoffman, Frederick Newcomet, Christian
Immel, Jacob Neff, Henry Long
Jacks, James Esq. Newcomet, Christian
Krebiel, Jacob Neff, John
Kunningham, Hugh Neff, Henry (old Henry's son)
Kaufman, Christian (Hornberger's brother-in-law)
Keller, John (miller, 1 mill) Neaff, Jacob
Korrell, John Nestleroad, Christian
Kriniwalt, Abram Ohlweyler, Christian
Kauffman, John Pratt, James
Kauffman, Jacob (old) Patton, Thomas
Krebil, Peter Peters, Abram
Kaufman, Christian (old) Pey, Abram
Kaufman, Andrew (Christian's son) Peters, Henry
Kindig, John Reitsel, Peter
Klein, Peter Row, Jeremiah
Kuntz, Peter Rummel, Valentine
Kindig, Daniel Reaber, Ulrich
Kaufman, Isaac Ruble, Jacob
Kaufman Michael Rukert, Leonard
Kaufman, Christian (saw-millers son) Rathfong, Leonard
Barr, Conrad Segrist, Jacob
Kaufman, Christian Segrist, Jacob (Old)
Kindig, widow Shenck, John (Old)
Kilhefer, Jacob Shopf, Henry Smith
Kindig, Jacob Shuman, George
Klug, Carl Sneyder, Godlip
Krebill, Rudolph Stoner, Abram
Krauter, Thomas Sauter, Casper
Kehler, Michael Steg, Christopher
Kremer, John Simner, Widow
Kilhefer, John Stoner, Abram
Kremer, John, (old) Sauter, Casper
Sauder, John Sauder, Henry
Stouffer, Christian Sneyder, Peter
Sauer, Philip Staufer, John
Shock, Jacob Steigleman, Jacob
Shock, Jacob Funk, Thomas
Stoner, Christian Ulrich, Adam
Stauffer, Abram Whitmer, Michael
Steman, John Wenger, Joseph
Shirk, John Wright, William
Shallenberger, George Wright, Joseph
Steman Christian Wright, Thomas
Seis, Jacob Wright, James
Schenck, John Wagner, George
Shopf, Henry Winterbauer, George
Shertzer, Widow Wissler, Christian
Sholt, Michael Witmer, John
Smith, Christian Witmer, Jacob
Shuman, Peter Witmer, Peter
Saltzman, Frans Wissler, Rudolph
Shipley, John Wertz, Widow
Smiling, George Wallert, Rupert
Sneyder, Michael Yieders, John
Smith, Abram Zimmerman, Fred.
Shertzer, John Zimmerman, Michael
Shenk, Michael Zigler, Frederick
Dr. John Connolly occupied a very conspicuous but unenviable position during the struggle of the American colonies to establish their independence. His is an historical character and deserves some notice at our hand. What induced him to become a Tory, whether from the tainted blood of his father, or early association, or direct bribery by Lord Dunmore, will never be known. Like Burr, he may have taken a desperate plunge to retrieve a fortune lost and attain great political power.
Funck, Abram Funck, Christian
Shenck, Henry Miller, Henry
Bunn, Matthew Dunckle, Peter
Kauffman, Christian Eshleman, Henry
Rummel, Peter Kuntz, Isaac
Neff, Henry Heligart, Thomas
Baules, Henry Steg, Adam
Krow, Paltzer Hiller, John
Nass George Harr, David
Domini, Christian Korrell, Edward
Shallenberger, Jacob Pratt, William
Histand, John Patton, Thomas
Kaufman, Isaac Kaufman, Jacob
Martin Christian Miller, Henry
Witmer, Peter Halbrun, Casper
He was born in Manor township in the year 1744, upon the farm owned by James Patterson, the old Indian trader, and his wife Susanna, who owned the land as tenants in common. His mother was formerly Mrs. Patterson, a very remarkable woman. If she was the first wife of Mr. Patterson, they must have been married in Ireland as early as 1708. When Mr. Patterson died in October, 1735, their children were Susanna (Lowry), Sarah (Chambers), James, Rebecca, and Thomas. In 1736 Mrs. Patterson married Thomas Ewing, a Presbyterian, and member of Donegal Church, as was also Mr. Patterson, by whom she had two sons, to wit: James Ewing, who was a captain in the French and Indian war, and a distinguished general and statesman in the Revolutionary war, and John, who was also a captain in the war of independence.
HISTORY OF LANCASTER COUNTY
In 1743, Mr. Ewing died, and within a year after, she married an Irish officer named John Connolly, who had been a surgeon in the British service. He was a strong Roman Catholic. By this husband she had one son, the subject of this sketch. After her husband's death, which took place about the year 1747, she removed to Lancaster. She had a great deal of wealth, and it is presumed that she sent her son to the best schools the town afforded. She died in 1755, and it is supposed that her son was placed in the charge of Col. George Croghan, who was his uncle. Where or with whom he studied medicine is not now known, but he doubtless became attached to a roving and adventurous life while traveling with his uncle Croghan, whose business as an Indian trader took him among the tribes in the far West. After the conquest of Canada by the English and the subjugation of the Indians by Col. Boquet, the French agreed to surrender all of their forts and possessions east of the Mississippi River.
Lieut.-Col. Wilkins was sent out to the Illinois to take command of that department. He arrived there on the 5th day of September, 1768, and took command, and set up a civil government. A number of the officers were from Virginia and Pennsylvania, and he seems to have been followed by a large number of Indian traders.
David Franks, an Indian trader and merchant of Philadelphia, was commissary of subsistence and supplied the Royal Irish Regiment. A number of these Pennsylvania Indian traders, probably Wharton, Boynton, Gratz, and Croghan, established a very extensive store at Kaskaskia. On the 8th day of December, 1768, Dr. John Connolly came to the Kaskaskia store and purchased some loaf-sugar, Bohea tea, tallow candles, and a pint of rum, and on the 9th instant he purchased various articles for housekeeping, such as knives and forks, spoons, table-cloth, tea-kettle, etc. He purchased at this store almost daily, and among the articles were large quantities of rum. It is possible that he went with a detachment of troops as surgeon. We find, however, that on the 11th day of February, 1769, he formed a partnership with Joseph Hollingshead, formerly of Burlington, J. J., and purchased at the Kaskaskia store goods amounting to four thousand nine hundred and sixty-nine pounds, twelve shillings, and sixpence, and also boats and bateaux for one thousand pounds. These purchases were followed quickly by several other large purchases.
On the 1st of August, 1769, for the first time, Dr. Connolly's wife is charged with several articles upon the books of the company, and we infer that he married her in that place. She was doubtless the daughter of an Indian trader, perhaps of Dennis McCroghan, who may have been the brother of Col. George Croghan. The adventures of Connolly and Hollingshead doubtless resulted in a financial failure, for Connolly suddenly left the neighborhood in the spring of 1771, greatly in debt. He went up to the Ohio to Pittsburgh, where he met Lord Dunmore, the Governor of Virginia, and came to the Ohio to look after the interests of Virginia, claiming jurisdiction over the western part of Pennsylvania.
The adventurous, bold, and dashing character of Connolly, and his knowledge of the country beyond the Ohio and of numerous Indian tribes, whose language he spoke fluently, led Dunmore to make a bargain with him. He was given two thousand acres of land at the Falls of the Ohio, where Louisville now is; and made commandant, with supreme power, at Fort Pitt, the name of which Dunmore changed, calling it after himself. A majority of the most prominent settlers in that part of Pennsylvania then claimed by Virginia accepted the very liberal terms offered to them by Dunmore, and in consequence, they seemed to prefer to live under that jurisdiction rather than under Penn's, who would not consent to allow any settlers on the land along the Ohio until they first purchased it from the Indians, which was done late in the fall of 1768 at the treaty at Fort Stanwix.
Connolly found this divided allegiance, and he took decided and violent measures to coerce the adherents of the Penns into the support of Dunmore. he undertook to abolish the Justice's Court at Hannastown by imprisoning the justices, some of whom he sent to prison at Staunton, Va. His violent and reckless conduct brought on Indian hostilities, which was retaliated by Cresap and others, and an Indian war was the result.
Lord Dunmore adhered to the fortunes of the corrupt king of England, and when measures were taken to punish the rebels at Boston, he was using violent measures in Virginia to coerce the people into the support of the king and Parliament. Connolly sided with Dunmore and left Ohio, where it was becoming uncomfortable warm for him, and found his way to Boston, where he received a colonel's commission in the British service from Gen. Gage. He returned to Baltimore with his commission, and started for the Ohio and the lakes with the intention of raising a regiment among the Indians, with the intention of making war upon the frontier settlers.
When passing through Hagerstown upon horseback, with a single companion, he was arrested by the "minute-men" and taken prisoner to Lancaster and Philadelphia, where he was thrown into jail. His commission was found concealed in his saddlebags. After remaining in jail for several months, his half-brother, Gen. James Ewing, became security for his good behavior. He was paroled and sent to the plantation of Gen. Ewing's, near Wrightsville, and part of the conditions were that he was not to go farther than six miles from Gen. Ewing's mansion. He was there but a short time when it was discovered that he was again plotting against the colonies.
He was rearrested and taken to Philadelphia and put in prison. We find him before the close of the
war in Canada. While he lived he was on half-pay of the "British establishment". After the close of the war he made an effort to recover his land at the Falls of the Ohio, and attempted to enlist some army officers in a scheme to capture Louisiana and set up a separate government in the West.
After the close of the Revolutionary war, Dr. Connolly visited his half-brother, Gen. Ewing, several times. Upon one occasion, in an unguarded moment, when seated at the table, he boastingly made the threat that the British army would come down from Canada and conquer the United States. Gen. Ewing sprang to his feet and seized him by the throat, and was separated from him with great difficulty by his wife. Both regretted the occurrence very much, for they loved each other, although they were so widely separated upon political questions.
Had Dr. Connolly chosen to take a stand in behalf of the republic, he doubtless would have attained a very high rank. He died in Canada, and we are not aware that he left any descendants there.
The history of Millersville has been extracted from the History of Manor Township, it is available from the home page menu or you can click here if you would like to read it now.
HISTORY OF LANCASTER COUNTY
The Manor Turnpike Company was chartered in 1839, and the stock is largely held by the Bausmans and other wealthy farmers in the vicinity; it was afterwards extended to Safe Harbor, but that part beyond Millersville and Lancaster turnpike only runs to the corner, about one half mile west of the Normal School. The turnpike from that point to the Conestoga, running southward one mile, is owned by John Shober. The turnpike branching from the main road at the Black horse Hotel, at the upper end of Millersville and running westward one mile to Isaac Groff's mill on the Little Conestoga, was built at the same time as the main turnpike. The Millersville and Lancaster turnpike, has been well kept up year after year, and is one of the finest turnpikes in the county.
The late Abraham Peters, who was all his life a resident of Millersville was born here in 1791, and died in 1882, at the age of ninety years. He was long a leading citizen of the town, and was its most wealthy inhabitant. He erected the present "Black Horse Hotel" in 1825. He was the first postmaster of Millersville, being appointed in 1820. He was also a member of the Legislature during the winter of 1861-62. He was a leading member of the board of trustees of the State Normal School, of which institution he was one of the founders. He was for a long time president of the board.
Safe Harbor.-Israel Nestleroad, who kept a tavern in Manor, at the mouth of the Conestoga, took out a patent for Sandy Island in 1811. In 1812 he sold it to Martin Stouffer, John Stouffer, John Sourbeer, and Christian Kneisly. Millport (Safe Harbor) was laid out on the right bank of the Conestoga Creek, at its mouth, in 1811. The lot holders in 1815 were Philip Brenner, William Bushrun, John Beam, Adam Fogle (storekeeper), John Funk, Sophia Wright, Jacob Guck (cooper), Henry Hoffman, Henry Klein, Samuel Kimmens, Daniel Kendig, John Kendig, and Catharine Logan. Jacob Miller and the Widow Miller laid out the town. John Martin was also one of the original residents. Israel Nestleroad was the innkeeper during the earlier years of Safe Harbor. Jacob Logan and Christian Kneisly were also lot-holders. The Strasburg Company, in which Mike Withers was a prominent stockholder, held some of the lots here. Christian Otto and John Umbach were also lot-holders about the same time. Philip Urban was an innkeeper in 1811. The Manor side of the Safe Harbor made slow progress. In the course of time the ironworks on the Conestoga side made that part a place of some importance, but those works ceased running on a large scale in 1861, and the place has fallen into insignificance. The Columbia and Port Deposit Railroad passes through the lower end of Safe Harbor. The depot is on the Manor side, where a small but neat and substantial frame building has been erected as a ticket, express, freight , and telegraph office. A fine trestle-work bridge crosses the Conestoga at its mouth. There is a hotel near the depot, which has in the past few years been kept by Benjamin Markley, Charles J. Rhodes, who lives in the central part of the Manor side of the village, is the leading citizen of that side of Safe Harbor. On the Manor side of Safe Harbor there is a large hill, just back of the
buildings, which are all with two exceptions, built in the street along the Conestoga. The other few dwellings are along the road leading to Millersville and Turkey Hill.
Fairview,-The town of Fairview, about two miles south of Columbia, and just north of the borough of Washington, was laid out in 1811. it contained forty-one building lots on fifteen and a half acres of ground on the bank of the Susquehannah River. The lots were disposed of by lottery by Stahl, innkeeper, Nov. 1, 1811. the town was laid out in streets, and is often called Shultztown, from the many families by the name of Shultz residing there. In the old flourishing days of rafting there were three taverns in the place for the accommodation of raftsmen. One of the Manor township school-houses is here. Levi Haverstick is the proprietor of a lumber-yard and a saw mill. The old tavern kept here by Magdalena Stahl about seventy-five years ago was quite celebrated in its time.
Blue Rock-The town of Blue Rock, just south of Washington, in Manor township, was laid out Jan. 7, 1814, by Joseph Charles. It consisted of two hundred lots, from fifty-five to fifty-two feet front, one hundred and thirty feet deep, all fronting on streets sixty feet wide, extending to fourteen-feet alleys. This landing was considered the best ever offered for sale, being nearer Lancaster than any other shore on the river, and fifteen miles from Strasburg. The soil and timber was superior to any other in Lancaster County, and the tract was well supplied with spring-water. Being the well-known Blue Rock farm, lot No. 23 was entitled to a new two-story dwelling-house, now occupied by Mr. Lewis, and worth seven thousand dollars; lot No. 25 to an ice-house; No. 28 to a large new barn, , valued at three thousand dollars; No. 16 to a log dwelling. Lots were drawn by lottery, three hundred and thirty dollars being paid for each lot, one hundred and thirty dollars cash, when a deed would be made out. Afterwards one hundred dollars were to be paid March 1, 1815, and one hundred dollars on March 1, 1816. Joshua Scott make a plan and wrote deeds. Joseph Charles died Sept. 28, 1814, before sales were effected. There had been a charter granted for a bridge across the Susquehanna, from Blue Rock, Lancaster Co., to Pleasant Garden, York Co., April 11, 1793, but the bridge was never built. The lot-holders of Blue Rock were William Lewis, James Redman, John Kauffman, Francis Gordon, John Getz, Abraham Bitner, Joseph Kinch, Peter Protzman, George Beitz, George Beitz Jr., and Peter Bachman. The Blue Rock farm is now owned by Isaac Shultz, of Fairview.
Manor Mills in 1780.-The following mills were in Manor in 1780: Christian Burkhoder's mill, Jacob Goodman's mill, Rudolph Herr's oil-mill, Christian Herr's mill, John Keller's mill, Christian Kauffman's mill, Yost Musser's saw-mill, and Jacob Kauffman's mill.
Manor Mills in 1820.-The following were the mills in Manor in 1820: Kendig's, at the mouth of the Conestoga; Mellinger's, on the Conestoga; A. Hershey's, on the Indiantown Run, near the old Indian town; B. Herr's, F. Herr's, Miller's, Kauffman's, Hershey's, and J. Herr's saw-mill, on the stream which empties into the Conestoga at Mellinger's mill; B. Herr's, Bender's, Eby's, Musselman's, Stoner's (Columbia Pike), Reigart's, Weiler's.
Manor Mills at Present.-The following are the mills in Manor, on the little Conestoga; Brenner's, to the north of Millersville, on the road to the Columbia turnpike; Groff's, one half mile northwest of Millersville, on the road from Millersville to Washington borough; Bickhart's, one mile west from Millersville, on the road from Millersville to Masonville and Turkey Hill; Stehman's, on the old road from Millersville to Safe Harbor; Landis' mill on the West Branch of the Little Conestoga, on the road from Millersville to Washington borough; Doerstler's mill on the West Branch, on the road from Millersville to Masonville; Shopp's mill farther westward; Taylor's steam grist-mill and saw mills on a small stream just at the upper end of Safe Harbor. G. A. Taylor also has a saw-mill on the same small stream, just above Safe Harbor, and Oberholtzer's woolen-mill is just a little above, on the same stream.
Kneisly's, Kauffman's, H. M. Reigart's (Hoover's), and Eby's are on the Little Conestoga, and Stauffer's (fulling-mill), on the first stream above Safe Harbor.
Hamlets.-Pittsburgh is a small village between several large hills, on the lower end of Turkey Hill, about one mile northwest from Safe Harbor. There are here a number of dwellings, a school-house, and an Evangelical Church. Highville is located about a mile north of Safe Harbor, on Turkey Hill, and contains a store and post-office, a hotel, a school-house, and a United Brethren Church. Creswell, further northwest, on Turkey Hill, contains a store and post-office, a blacksmith-shop, an agricultural implement store, a school-house, and an Evangelical Church. Masonville, about three miles west of Millersville, has John Steigelman's hotel, a blacksmith shop, and a wagon and coachmaker's shop. It will be seen that there are at present (1883) only three post-offices in Manor township,-Millersville, Highville, and Creswell. Highville, at first called New Market, was laid out by William Green, of Columbia, in 1816. Creswell was named after Postmaster-General Creswell in the early part of President Grant's administration, when the post-office was established.
Churches.-Manor township has fourteen churches and meeting-houses,-two Methodist, one at Safe Harbor, and one at Millersville; three Evangelical, one at Millersville, one at Pittsburgh, and one at Creswell; two Lutheran and one Reformed in Millersville; two United Brethren, one (Stehman's) about two and a half miles southwest of Millersville, and the other at
HISTORY OF LANCASTER COUNTY
Highville; two old Mennonite meeting-houses, one near Masonville and the other (Habecker's) about a mile north of Breneman's (formerly Mann's) Tavern.
The Methodists have an organization at Safe Harbor about half a century old, and their church edifice there is a frame structure almost as old. The building has been several times repaired. This is the only church building in Safe Harbor, and the Methodists are the only religious body having an organization in that village. This church is one of the four comprising the Safe Harbor Circuit. Its most noted pastors in recent years have been the Revs. W. B. Gregg, William Dalrymple, Mr. Watson, J. Kessler, John Shields, Mr. Mauger, Mr. Hare, F. M. Brady, J. W. Harkins, and Rev. Mr. Amther. This church has maintained a flourishing Sunday-school organization.
The Methodists of Millersville have a church organization also about half a century old. They erected an unpretentious frame edifice for worship nearly forty years ago. Their congregation grew in numbers but not in wealth, and in 1869 a large two-story brick church edifice was erected immediately north of the Normal School. In this building the Millersville Methodists have ever since worshipped. The second story is still uncompleted. Previous to 1871 this church belonged to the Safe Harbor Circuit, but in that year the congregation secured a pastor of its own, and have maintained a separate pastorate ever since. The pastors of the church since its separation from the Safe Harbor Circuit have been the Revs. Moore, in 1872; Dungan, in 1873-74; MacLane and Devine, in 1875; Charles Rhodes in 1876-77; McKay and Hartley, in 1878; S. O. Garrison, in 1879; George Gaul, in 1880; Mr. Wheeler, in 1881-83. Through the energetic and zealous efforts of Rev. S. O. Garrison, the pastor in 1879, the debt which had borne heavily upon the church for ten years, was paid off in one year's time. This church has maintained steadily a prosperous Sunday-school organization.
The Evangelical Church has had an organization in Millersville for over thirty years, and in 1852 this congregation erected a plain brick structure on the main street, about half a mile west of the Normal school. The building was enlarged in 1866, and a bell and steeple were added. The church has also had a flourishing Sunday-school. The pastors of this church have been the Revs. Litzenberger, Harper, Baker, Dissinger, Chubb, Zern, Shoemaker, Stirk, Specht, Weidler, Laros, De Long, Hershey, and Hoover.
The Evangelical congregation of Creswell is about thirty years old, and its church edifice, built of brick, is almost as old. The pastors were the same as those of Millersville until about ten years ago. Their recent pastors have been the Revs. Hess, Specht, Harper, and Witmer. The Evangelical congregation of Pittsburgh was originally a part of that of Creswell, but the Evangelical members in and around Pittsburgh erected a stone structure of their own about fourteen years ago. The pastors have been the same as those of Creswell.
The Lutheran and Reformed denominations, which had for some time maintained church organizations in Millersville, jointly erected a house of worship on the main street, about half-way between the site of the Normal School and the "Black Horse Hotel," in 1843. This edifice, built of brick, was torn down in 1871, and in that year the two congregations erected separate church buildings of their own. These two buildings are each of brick, two stories high, and each is supplied with bell and steeple. They are located near the site of the old church edifice. Both these congregations have flourishing Sunday-schools. The Lutheran pastors were for a long time non-residents of Millersville and also had other charges. The Rev. Mr. Fritchey and the Rev. Mr. Boyer for a long time preached here. Recent Lutheran pastors resident here have been the Rev. Mr. Reed and the Rev. Mr. Markley. The Reformed pastors resident here have been the Rev. Mr. Steckel, the Rev. Mr. Shenkle, and the Rev. Mr. Moore. A small portion of the Lutheran congregation built a small but neat one-story brick edifice of their own in the lower end of the village, about a quarter of a mile west of the Normal School, in 1876. This church has also a prosperous Sunday-school. The pastors of this second Lutheran congregation have been the Rev. Mr. Pore and the Rev. Mr. Eckert.
The United Brethren congregation erected a church edifice in Stehman's neighborhood in 1857. This is a plain brick structure, and the congregation holding services here is large. Recent pastors here have been the Revs. Keyes, Baltzel, Mumma, Kauffman, Sanders, and Lightner. The United Brethren congregation of Highville, which formerly constituted a part of the preceding congregation, erected a plain brick building of their own about fifteen years ago. Their pastors have been the same as those of Stehman's Church.
The Old Mennonite meeting-houses of Manor are both stone structures over a century old, and are plastered outside as well as inside. The new Mennonite meeting-house, a half-mile south of Millersville, is a plain brick building about a quarter of a century old. In 1876 the Dunkers of Manor erected a plain brick meeting-house about two miles west of Millersville.
School Affairs._Manor was one of the townships which accepted the free school law passed by the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1834, but it made no report in 1837, when the other townships of Lancaster County which accepted the law reported. In 1827, seven years before the law was passed, Manor paid $389.69 for the education of the poor children in the township. In 1855 it had 21 schools and 1085 pupils, and $2500 was raised for school purposes. In 1882 there were 24 schools and 1057 pupils, and the total receipts and expenditures for school purposes were $12,928.88. The following school statistics of
Manor for the years 1855, 1866, and 1882, will more fully explain the educational development of this wealthy and prosperous township. IN 1855, Manor had 21 schools; the school term was six months; there were 19 male teachers and 2 female teachers; $26 per month was paid to each of the male teachers, and $20 per month to each of the female teachers; there were 585 male pupils, and 500 female pupils; 14 were learning German; 643 was the average number attending school; $2500 in taxes were levied for school purposes; $416.15 was received from the State appropriation; $2874.30 was received from the school tax collector; $3096.50 was the cost of instruction; $671.34 was paid for fuel and contingencies; $2111 was the cost of school-houses, purchasing, building, renting, repairing, etc. IN 1866, Manor had 22 schools; the school term was seven months; there were 10 male teachers and 12 female teachers; the average salaries of male teachers was $37.80 per month, and of female teachers $36.50 per month; there were 528 male pupils, and 478 female pupils; 641 was the average number attending school; $5,000 was levied for school purposes, and was the total amount levied for that year; $475.19 was received from the State appropriation; $3868.38 was received from the collector of the school taxes, unseated lands, and other sources; $5712 was the cost of instruction; $947 was expended for fuel and contingencies; $2667 was the cost of school houses, purchasing, building, renting, etc., and $1700 was the temporary debt. In 1882, Manor had 24 schools; the school term was six months; there were 16 male teachers, and 9 female teachers and 1 assistant teacher; $47.80 was the average salary of each of the male teachers per month, and $46.55 of each of the female teachers; there were 573 male pupils and 484 female pupils; 768 was the average number attending school; 83 was the average percentage of attendance; $8276.52 was the total amount of tax levied for school and building purposes; $1058.41 was received from State appropriation; $12,928.88 were the total receipts; $4568.89 was the cost of school-houses, purchasing, building, renting, etc.; $6822 were paid in teacher salaries; $1053.79 were expended for fuel, contingencies, fees of collectors and all other expenses; $3021.88 were the township's liabilities for school purposes.
The Manor school-houses, with few exceptions, are substantial brick buildings, supplied with bell and cupola, with the latest improved school furniture, with globes, maps, and all the necessary school appliances. For a period of about fifteen years Manor had a school term of seven months in the year, and for a short time higher salaries were paid to teachers, but since 1876 the school term has been six months, and the salaries have been slightly reduced. A large school building is in contemplation in Millersville for all the public schools of that village. Although a State Normal School is within the limits of Manor, that township does not have as long school terms, does not pay as high salaries, and is generally not as progressive as some other townships in Lancaster County.
Justices of the Peace.-The following have been the justices of the peace of Manor township since the adoption of the State Constitution of 1838, giving each township its own justices of the peace; Rudolph Wissler and John Shissler, elected in 1840; John Wright and John Shissler, 1845; George Hawthorne and John Shissler, 1850; George Hawthorn and John Shissler, 1855; Charles Denues, 1857; Charles Denues and A. R. Witmer, 1862; Tobias Kauffman, 1866; A. R. Witmer, 1867; Abraham Frantz, 1873; A. R. Witmer, 1877; Abraham Frantz, 1878; A. R. Witmer, 1882; Daniel H. Lintner, 1883.
Members of the Legislature from Manor.-The following have been members of the State Legislature from Manor township at different times. members of the house of Representatives; Jacob Kimmel, elected in 1803-10; Andrew Kauffman, 1837; Jacob B. Shuman, 1845 and 1846; Abraham Peters, 1861; Charles Denues, 1864 and 1865. Jacob B. Shuman was a State senator, elected for three years, in 1854.
Old Tavern-keepers in Manor.-The following were tavern-keepers in Manor from 1798 to 1809 inclusive: 1798, Abraham Peters, Millerstown; 1799, Michael Rinehard, on the road from Lancaster to Turkey Hill; 1805, Samuel Petit, on the road from Columbia to the Black Horse, Christian Mellinger, on the bank of the Susquehanna, and Abraham Peters, Millerstown; 1806 Edward Hughes, Christian Mellinger, on the road from Lancaster to Columbia, Magdalena Stahl, on the road from Columbia to Blue Rock, John Lewis, on the road from Columbia to Blue Rock, Jacob Martin, Blue Rock, John Stehman, on the turnpike from Columbia to Lancaster, Joseph Charles, Millerstown; 1808, John Eshelman, on the road to Safe Harbor, John Stehman, on the turnpike from Columbia to Lancaster, Israel Nestleroad, at the mouth of the Conestoga (Safe Harbor), Jacob Martin, on the road from Columbia to Martic Forge, John Lewis, on the road from Columbia to Blue Rock; 1809, John Bender, on the road from Columbia to Martic Forge, William Lewis, on the road from Lancaster to Blue Rock, John Rupley, John Stehman, on the turnpike from Columbia to Lancaster, Peter Burk, on the road from Lancaster to Safe Harbor, Joseph Charles, on the road from Millerstown to the Susquehanna, Magdalena Stahl, on the road from Columbia to Blue Rock.
Election Districts.-Manor township has three election districts,-New Manor, Indiantown, and Millersville. New Manor embraces all the northwestern section of the township, and the voters of this district cast their ballots at Breneman's
HISTORY OF LANCASTER COUNTY
formerly (Mann's) tavern. Indiantown comprises the southwestern section, and the voters of this district deposit their tickets at Mrs. Stoner's tavern, at Highville. The Millersville district embraces the whole eastern section, and the voting for this district is done at the Black Horse Hotel, at the upper end of Millersville.
Manor's Population in 1880.-The census of 1880 gave the population of Manor township at 5053. Of this number about 1200 were in the village of Millersville. Millersville district had 2043 inhabitants, Indiantown district had 1797, and New Manor district has 1213. It will this be seen that the village of Millersville had almost one fourth of the inhabitants of the township.
The name of Landis is one of the most respected and influential in the township of Manor. The family have long been represented in Lancaster County, though of Swiss nationality. Benjamin, the father of John, was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Brackbill, whose family first came to American shores in 1717. To this marriage were born two sons, John and Benjamin. The birth of the former occurred June 9, 1786, in Manheim township, Lancaster County, where his early years were spent upon the farm of his father, whom he materially assisted in his daily avocations. The opportunities for education were at that day limited, though Mr. Landis readily availed himself of such as were offered. When nine-teen years of age he removed to the farm now in possession of his son Tobias, in Conestoga Township, and the same year was married to Miss Elizabeth Rudy, to whom were born children- Mary, Benjamin, Anna, and Fannie. By a second union with Anna, daughter of Jacob Hoover, his children were Susan, Betsey, Jacob H., David, Tobias, and Magdalena. Mr. Landis was of man of much public spirit and enterprise. His judgment was regarded as sound, and his influence in the community was wholesome and beneficial. He was elected supervisor of Conestoga Township, and in 1839, when a resident of Manor, served as county commissioner. In politics he was a Whig, and subsequently a Republican, but not active in the political field. In his religious belief he was a consistent Mennonite until his death, which occurred Aug. 22, 1870, in his eighty-fifth year.
Jacob H. Landis
The progenitors of the Landis family were natives of Switzerland, and the date of their emigration is not positively known. The grandfather of the subject of this biography was Benjamin, who married Elizabeth Brackbill. The progenitor of the Brackbill family was Ulrich, the great-grandfather of Mrs. Landis, who emigrated from Germany to the United States on the 24th of August, 1717.
To Benjamin and Elizabeth were born two sons,-John and Benjamin. John married Elizabeth Rudy, whose children were Mary, Benjamin, Anna and Fannie. His wife having died in 1816, he contracted a second marriage with Anna, daughter of Jacob Hoover, to whom were born children,-Susan, Betsey, Jacob H., David, Tobias, and Magdalena. The death of John Landis occurred Aug. 22, 1870, in his eighty-fifth year, his second wife having died in 1857. Their son, Jacob H., was born April 18, 1822, in Conestoga township, Lancaster Co., On attaining his fourth year he removed with his parents to Manor township, and during his youth was a pupil at Lititz and also at a select school in Manheim township. After becoming thoroughly familiar with the labor of a farm, he in 1841 became apprentice to the miller's trade, and having served his time assumed the management of his father's mill. In 1861 he became sole proprietor of both mill and farm, each of which he conducted successfully until his retirement from active business in 1880, when he was relieved of his responsibilities and cares by his sons.
Mr. Landis was married o the 26th of February, 1852, to Miss Anna S., daughter of David and Susan Herr, of Lancaster Township. Their children are John H., Mary (Mrs. Wenger), Susan (Mrs. Reist), Lizzie (Mrs. Stehman), Fannie, and David.
He is a Republican in politics, but not an active partisan. He is greatly interested in the cause of education, and is at present a trustee of the State Normal School of Millersville. He has also been a school director of his township. He is a director of the Farmer's National Bank of Lancaster, and one of the board of managers of the Lancaster and Millersville Street Railroad.
In religion both he and Mrs. Landis are Mennonites, though cheerful contributors to other denominations. Mr. Landis, as a successful business man and an honorable citizen, enjoys the esteem of his contemporaries throughout the county.
Ezra M. Hostetter
The progenitor of the Hostetter family was Jacob who, in 1741, purchased of the government the land now in possession of his great-great-grandson, who is the subject of this biographical sketch. He had two sons, Abram and Jacob, who inherited the ancestral acres, the former of whom was the father of a son Benjamin, born March 12, 1755, who died Feb. 4, 1844. The latter, who became heir to a portion of his father's estate, had five daughters and two sons, Benjamin and Rudolph. Benjamin, was the father of Ezra M., was born Oct. 16, 1796, on the homestead farm, the land of which he devoted a lifetime to
cultivating and improving. He was, in politics, a Whig, and in his religious belief a Mennonite. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Christian Miller, of York County, Pa., and had sons, Ezra M., Jacob, and Christian. The death of Mr. Hostetter occurred March 22, 1858, in his fifty-sixty year. His son, Ezra M., was born Dec. 20, 1838, at the house which had been for successive generations in possession of the family. Here his boyhood was spent either at school or in labor upon the farm. In 1860 he became owner of the property, and in February, 1861, was united in marriage to Miss Susan, daughter of Tobias Deitrich, of Manor township, who was also of German extraction. They have four children,-Benjamin D., Jacob D., Mary, Lizzie (deceased), and Katy. The sons reside at home, where they render invaluable assistance to their father on the farm.
Mr. Hostetter usually casts his vote with the Democratic party, though untrammeled by the claims of party, choosing always the most eligible candidate for office, irrespective of his political affinities. The time and attention demanded by his own business interests leave little leisure for affairs of a public nature. Mr. Hostetter is in religion a supporter of all evangelical denominations.
John S. Mann
Bernhart Mann, the grandfather of John S., was born May 9, 1740, and when eight years of age emigrated from Huiffenhart, Germany, to America. He was, in accordance with the method of that period among emigrants, sold for his passage-money to a Mr. Stehman, of Lancaster County, with whom he remained until his majority was attained, after which he settled upon a purchase of eighty acres of land now owned by his grandson, the subject of this sketch.
He married Mary Staumb Aug. 11, 1743, also of German ancestry, and had children ,-John, Bernhart, George, and Elizabeth (who became Mrs. Wormley). Mr. Mann's death occurred June 6, 1817, in his seventy-eighth year. Their son John, was born on the paternal land March 7, 1774, where his life was devoted to farming employments.
He married Elizabeth, daughter of George Snyder, of East Donegal, Lancaster Co., who was born Oct. 8, 1780, and died March 25, 1870, in her ninetieth year. Their children were Bernhart, Jacob, Margaretta, Marie, Elizabeth, Sophia, Catharine, Barbara, Sarah, John S., and George.
Mr. Mann during his lifetime espoused the tenets of the Lutheran belief. He died Dec. 3, 1843, in his seventieth year.
His son, John S., was born Nov. 26, 1819, on the homestead farm, the birthplace of all the members of the family and the scene of his lifelong labors.
He received but limited advantages of education, and at an early age engaged in the employments of the farm. In 1846 he became owner of the ancestral acres, which he still retains and on which he resides. He was married, in 1852, to Miss Barbara, daughter of Jacob Zeigler, of East Donegal township. Their children are Harriet, Alice, Ida, Emma (deceased), John (also deceased), and John Edwin. Mrs. Mann's death occurred Feb. 10, 1881, in her fifty-fourth year. Her grace and beauty of character still live in the memory of his attached family.
Mr. Mann is in politics a Democrat and at present a member of the township committee of Manor township. He is actively engaged in business operations, and a director of the Lancaster County National Bank. he is a member of the board of trustees of the State Normal School, appointed by the State.
His religious convictions lead him to support all worthy denominations irrespective of sect, though educated in the Lutheran belief.
Hon. Abraham Peters
Abraham Peters was one of the most distinguished representatives of the native German element of Lancaster County. He was born Aug. 29, 1791, near Millersville, Lancaster Co., Pa. His father, also named Abraham Peters, emigrated to this country when about nineteen years of age, from near Strasburg, a town of Alsace, now in Germany, but at that time a province of France. He located in the vicinity of Millersville, then called Millersburg, where, in 1777, he purchased ten acres for two hundred and seventy pounds. He was an industrious and intelligent man, was for many years engaged in the distillery business, and also kept a tavern in an old log house, in which the subject of the present sketch was born. he died Feb. 5, 1818, aged seventy-seven years. Upon the death of his father, Abraham Peters took charge of the business, which he continued until 1853, and at the same time engaged in farming. He was a model landlord, strictly temperate himself, and careful that there should be no rowdyism or intemperance at his hotel. In the days before railroads were build, when goods were hauled in Conestoga wagons from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, his tavern was a popular and noted stopping-place for teams en route.
During this time his devotion to his aged mother was a remarkable incident of his life, for on her account he delayed marriage until he was thirty-four years of age. On the 16th of October, 1825, he was married to Miss Fanny Gamber, of which marriage one son and six daughters survive. He continued the business of farming up to 1862, and also carried on the business of saw-milling on the Conestoga.
Through his long life, though engaged in active pursuits, he was always public-spirited, lending his aid and influence to the promotion of many public enterprises. He was an earnest advocate for the construction of the turnpike from Millersville to Lancaster,
HISTORY OF LANCASTER COUNTY
of which company he was for many years president, and also gave his money and influence for the connection of the same two places by a street railway. When the common school system was introduced into Lancaster County it met with a determined opposition from a certain class of citizens, but through his able and persistent fight in its favor much of the opposition was overcome, and its introduction into his district was largely due to his influence. He was one of the early advocates of the county superintendency, and his support and influence did much to allay the prejudice with which this office was regarded in this county.
In 1854 there was begun in Millersville an educational enterprise which eventually developed into the Millersville State Normal School. Mr. Peters was one of the leading movers in this enterprise, and was elected the first president of the board of trustees, a position to which he was annually re-elected up to the time of his death. The institution was the pioneer of the normal schools of the State, and as it was an experiment, it was with some difficulty that the citizens were induced to subscribe for its stock. By his earnest solicitation of his friends and neighbors he succeeded largely in having the stock taken, and he was so enthusiastic and confident of its success that he was always ready to aid in keeping up its financial standing. He always manifested a deep interest in the school, was proud of his connection with it, and was a wise counselor and a firm support to its administration. The writer of this sketch remembers with grateful feelings his words of kindly advice and his loyal support in house of difficulty and anxiety.
In 1861, the Republicans of Lancaster County having a factional disagreement in their nominating convention, the minority united with the Democrats in forming a Union ticket, and placed the name of Abraham Peters at its head. This ticket was elected, and Abraham Peters, a lifelong Democrat, represented the strong Republican county of Lancaster in the State Legislature. In this position he discharged his duty with great fidelity to his constituents, and to the satisfaction of both parties. For many years he was a director in the Farmers' National Bank of Lancaster, but a few years before his death he requested that his place should be filled by some younger and more active man. During the last few years of his life he withdrew from all active business, and surrounded by his children and enjoying the esteem and affection of his friends and neighbors, he passed his declining years in comfort with a cheerful spirit, looking forward with a Christian's hope to the reward hereafter. He died Feb. 13, 1882, respected and mourned by the community in which he had lived.
Mr. Peters was a man of large natural intellectual power. His judgment was sound and reliable. He weighed a question with deliberation, and decided it in the light of a clear understanding. His neighbors had so much confidence in his judgment that they often consulted him on matters of business, and seldom made a mistake when they followed his advice. So sincere and honest was he in his convictions that his conclusion on a subject was worth more than most mens's arguments. As presiding officer of the board of trustees of the Normal School, the writer has known him to listen for a while to a discussion, and then, by a mere expression of his own opinion, silence argument and settle the question. Had he received a scholastic education in early life, he would have risen to high position in the political history of the State, not through his personal ambition, but on account of his natural fitness for leadership. By nature he was qualified to be Governor of the commonwealth, or even President of the United States. even though a plain farmer, he was the intimate and confidential friend of James Buchanan and John W. Forney in the palmy days of the Democracy.
But the crowning element of Mr. Peter's character was that of moral greatness. No one could associate with him without feeling that the man was greater than his words or actions. In an emphatic manner he exemplified the poet's line that "an honest man's the noblest work of God." There was a sincerity about his thoughts and expressions, a straightforwardness in his business transactions that led his friends to place implicit confidence in his integrity. Of him it could be truthfully said that his work was as good as his bond. When he had pledged his word you could rely on it with as much confidence as if the articles of agreement were signed or the deed recorded. So well understood was his integrity that no man ever dared approach him with a mean proposal, and had such a thing been done it would have been met with an outburst of indignation. Scorning a mean action himself, he looked down with contempt upon meanness and lack of principle in others.
Mr. Peters was not only a moral man but a Christian. He was for many years a member of the German Reformed Church of Millersville, and illustrated in his character and actions those high moral attributes that constitute Christian manhood. It was largely through his energy and liberality that the large and handsome Reformed Church in Millersville was erected, and his venerable form could be seen in his accustomed place each succeeding Sabbath until his old age rendered him too feeble to leave his own house. In his death his native town lost one of her best citizens, and the county one of her greatest and noblest men; but his example of a high and honorable character still lives, and his memory will long be cherished in the hearts of all who knew him.
Return to CAHS Index Page